The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As much as we all dislike Bopara

+8
Fists of Fury
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Carrotdude
robbo277
gboycottnut
JDizzle
pulkpull
GSC
12 posters

Go down

As much as we all dislike Bopara Empty As much as we all dislike Bopara

Post by GSC Mon 22 Aug 2011, 7:56 pm

It could be said he had his share of bad luck in his 2 tests.

Both times he came in when England already had big runs on the board, and he only got to bat once either time. In the 3rd test he came in off the back of a massive partnership and really couldn't win either way. He probably wouldn't have had time to make a big score before a declaration and even if he had, England were 600-5. It could be put down as easy runs.

In the 4th test he got in, then rain forced an England declaration.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

As much as we all dislike Bopara Empty Re: As much as we all dislike Bopara

Post by pulkpull Mon 22 Aug 2011, 9:12 pm

My opinion of him hasn't changed with these two tests - for better or worse. I'd agree he was unlucky to come into a batting lineup that fired off a couple of huge totals right in front of his padded little legs/eyes/face.

Doubts still persist and I think his time may be up if some youngsters perform well in the coming months. Personally I wouldn't have him on tour in the winter but you never know...

pulkpull

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm

I agree it is unfortunate that he didn't have the chance to prove himself in these matches and I would have felt a lot better about ripping into him if he had come in and failed. He couldn't win in those situations. If he played for himself he would have been attacked for being selfish and not hitting out for the team cause and if he played aggressively he was bound to not get big runs. Lose-lose for him. I still maintain Jimmy Taylor should have been picked for this match, but Ravi has done nothing to lower my opinion of him in this test match.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:02 am

JDizzle wrote:I agree it is unfortunate that he didn't have the chance to prove himself in these matches and I would have felt a lot better about ripping into him if he had come in and failed. He couldn't win in those situations. If he played for himself he would have been attacked for being selfish and not hitting out for the team cause and if he played aggressively he was bound to not get big runs. Lose-lose for him. I still maintain Jimmy Taylor should have been picked for this match, but Ravi has done nothing to lower my opinion of him in this test match.

I would prefer Mark Ramprakash to be selected.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:37 am

If he'd failed twice he probably would have dropped from first reserve.

Unfortunately for him, he came into the third test probably thinking he could challenge Morgan for his place, but before he even got to come out to bat Eoin had hit a hundred. Still managed an average of 51 (although through a small sample of innings) and can't have done himself any harm, but at the same time he didn't have a chance to prove himself as a match winner with the bat, and his bowling was no better than Trott's. For my money, he'll be straight back out the team moving forward, and will be lucky to win another cap.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:31 am

I don't think his position has changed really, he will still be next in line behind Morgan for the time being, if he plays due to injuries and does well and Morgan has a poor winter then he'll get himself the number 6 spot.

I have a feeling that Taylor may be our long term number 6, still not sure about Morgan tbh in Test cricket but he will improve.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:32 am

gboycottnut wrote:
JDizzle wrote:I agree it is unfortunate that he didn't have the chance to prove himself in these matches and I would have felt a lot better about ripping into him if he had come in and failed. He couldn't win in those situations. If he played for himself he would have been attacked for being selfish and not hitting out for the team cause and if he played aggressively he was bound to not get big runs. Lose-lose for him. I still maintain Jimmy Taylor should have been picked for this match, but Ravi has done nothing to lower my opinion of him in this test match.

I would prefer Mark Ramprakash to be selected.

Come on its not 2006 anymore. I bet you were in the gang that wanted him over Trott

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

My opinion hasn't changed much - and that is that he is a very capable player, but one that I question the mentality of at the highest level.

He has the skillset, but if you haven't got it upstairs then you're doomed to fail when it really matters.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Raymond Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:My opinion hasn't changed much - and that is that he is a very capable player, but one that I question the mentality of at the highest level.

He has the skillset, but if you haven't got it upstairs then you're doomed to fail when it really matters.

Bit like a young Ian Bell?

Raymond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

I dont think Bopara is on the same level as Bell, for a start Bell is world class and always looked like he would be.

Bopara has been the victim of circumstances far too much in his career but he has often blown his opportunity. I'd still like him to prove me wrong but unfortunately there are only so many chances that a player can be given to prove himself.

In the one day arena I think he should be in the side as he can offer a lot. Test wise he should never play again.

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

Difference is though, Ray, is that Bell was younger than Bopara is now, and also was facing one of the great attacks of all time. Bopara has had a much easier baptism in Test cricket, but still failed to impress.

Bell's technique was always sound, too, and only failed in times of big pressure, whereas Ravi plays a lot of loose shots in all kinds of situations. I think it is unfair on Bell to compare the two.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

I remain unconvinced his technique is anything better than Morgan's. He has equally serious issues (watch how he thrusts his front pad towards the ball, clear LBW candidate; also a similar problem to Jayawardene in that he flirts with balls back of a length outside off). He obviously doesn't play spin as well as the Irishman either.

Morgan is also a far better fielder for what it's worth.

I'm not saying Bopara is a bad player, but I don't think he's got anything like the talent of say Bell.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

To add to that, the selectors invested a lot in Bell as he always looked like he was going to be a top level batsman. Bopara has just flirted with the idea of being so.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:39 pm

I think the main problem is that Bopara believes he is World class and has the right to be the first man on the team sheet.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:41 pm

You are forgetting that Bopara is Goochs project player. That will be playing a part in his continued selection.
Not that hes done anything to be less deserving of it than Morgan.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:45 pm

Neither Bopara or Morgan should be in the test side.

But at least Morgan is good in the field...

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

Boparas not to bad in the field.

Morgans more suited to the One-Day game I can see Taylor coming in for him.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 25 Aug 2011, 6:41 am

test averages over the two years :

51.00 Bopara
36.35 Morgan
33.04 Collingwood
32.54 Strauss

You can prove anything with stats