The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section

+9
Stellar Key
Carrotdude
hodge
robbo277
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Liam_Main
ShankyCricket
Gregers
Fists of Fury
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section - Page 2 Empty Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 11:10 am

First topic message reminder :

Morning guys

Thought I would create a 'sticky' thread where you fellas can post any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, complaints etc for the cricket section.

As you know, we are working on securing Q&A's with various County and International cricketers, and will continue to do so, but if you have any other ideas to improve the cricket section then feel free to share them and I will see what I can do.

We get a decent bit of traffic through this section these days, and it'd be nice to keep that up even when England aren't playing.

Ideas I've had so far include organising a fantasy cricket league, which will be put into effect for the start of the next County season, and also the possibility of a club feature, whereby we take it in turns (maybe one every couple of months or so) to write up a small profile on a local club of ours, maybe with a match report if you've been involved, just as a bit of publicity to the various clubs around the UK and as a chance for the other members to compare clubs.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Last edited by Fists of Fury on Thu 06 Oct 2011, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section - Page 2 Empty Re: Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section

Post by davidjennings Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:09 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:In all honesty mate, I have no idea what you mean by RSS feed, excuse my ignorance but it's not something I have come across before.

You could try the link to the RSS feed I posted above? Or this http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RSS+Feed

Ignorance of RSS is gobsmacking in an administrator. Not lifting a finger to address that ignorance is beyond inexcusable. Bye.

davidjennings

Back to top Go down

Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section - Page 2 Empty Re: Ideas/suggestions for improving the cricket section

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:22 pm

Well that's a very childish response. I suggest you have a chat with someone else on the admin team because I have tried ask you what you would like in terms of a county sub-section, and you have done nothing but spit your dummy out. Grow up.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 30 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

County cricket sub-section is back up, this time without the further sections breaking it down into different counties.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

looks the best way to do it fists OK

i have no idea what RSS feed is either Erm

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

i suppose its a decent way to have the county boards

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

The main reason why I chose 606v2 over not606 was the sub-division of the county cricket into its individual counties.
All I want to do is see how my beloved Gloucs are doing, and have a good laugh at Surrey.
I go away from my computer for a few days over bank holiday and return to find you have removed them.
You have lost your unique selling point.
I'll see how it goes, but you may have lost me too.

Last edited by ChrisfromStroud on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:19 pm

ChrisfromStroud wrote:The main reason why I chose 606v2 over not606 was the sub-division of the county cricket into its individual counties.
All I want to do is see how my beloved Gloucs are doing, and have a good at Surrey.
I go away from my computer for a few days over bank holiday and return to find you have removed them.

How active was the Gloucester board?
In my experience it was basically dead...

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:40 pm

The original 606 Gloucs page was a seething hotbed of fury, cynicism, etc etc etc.

The trouble is that since the demise of the real 606, people are scatttered everywhere: 606v2, not606, ja606, new606, gloscricket.proboards etc

Since there are less of us yokels in Gloucs than there are of you sophisticates in London (*), we are scattered thinly.
But never mind the thickness, feel the quality, as the tailors used to say.

* PS I'm actually in London; don't tell no-one.

Last edited by ChrisfromStroud on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:43 pm

London???

Howe very dare you. I'm from Brighton.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:46 pm

Sorry.
Does that count as yokel or sophisticate?

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:49 pm

Sophisticate.

Haha dont worry

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrisfromStroud Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:27 pm

Whaddya mean "sophisticate"?
You've only just crawled out of the sea down there in Brighton.
Surprised you're not playing water-polo.
At least we've evolved as far as the land-based stage here in Gloucs.

ChrisfromStroud

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:55 am

ChrisfromStroud wrote:The main reason why I chose 606v2 over not606 was the sub-division of the county cricket into its individual counties.
All I want to do is see how my beloved Gloucs are doing, and have a good laugh at Surrey.

Considering there were a grand total of about 4 topics on the Gloucester board I wouldn't really call it a selling point, it was completely dead.

There is still a county section where all things county related can be discussed - which is a much more accessible way of debate, given that you don't need to enter the individual county sections in order to see what topics people are talking about. Having to enter too many sections is most likely what contributed to most of the county sections being completely dead.

With the section as it is now, it simply takes one click to enter the county board, and a little bit of scrolling to pick out any articles you want to contribute to. Far easier, no?

Also, with the board this way, it may mean that more of the guys that discussed county cricket will contribute to the main board. It was all very reclusive in there, with people never venturing outside of the Surrey board etc. It is clear that the majority of those posters are very knowledgeable about cricket, and passionate in their views, and as such it'd be nice if they contributed to the main board regarding topics other than just Surrey now and again. It would make for a much more interesting and vibrant cricket section.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:01 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
Also, with the board this way, it may mean that more of the guys that discussed county cricket will contribute to the main board. It was all very reclusive in there, with people never venturing outside of the Surrey board etc. It is clear that the majority of those posters are very knowledgeable about cricket, and passionate in their views, and as such it'd be nice if they contributed to the main board regarding topics other than just Surrey now and again. It would make for a much more interesting and vibrant cricket section.

Fists - I understand the point you are trying to make but you are being rather too sweeping here. Based on my own posts and my reading of those from others, Surrey posters did venture outside of their own board and contribute to the main board, at least now and again.

I fully accept that the majority of my posts relate to Surrey cricket. Whilst it may appear sad to others on this site and indeed my own family, given that my main interest is Surrey cricket it is surely understandable that that is what I most wish to write and read about. That's the main reason I joined - and, of course, to give ChrisfromStroud ''a good laugh'' at our expense. Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

A little sweeping, possibly, but you get the gist of my argument.

It is great that you have a place to discuss all things Surrey, and we don't want to put a stop to that, but that can certainly be achieved in just the county section, as opposed to in an exclusive Surrey section.

I think you'll agree that not having sub-sub-sections opens up ther articles to more people, given that many won't bother venturing in to the individual county sections, and that is our intention.

Does that make sense?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:29 am

Fists - I understand and appreciate the intention. I will be very happy if these changes produce the desired result.

My own view for what it's worth is that the problem is not to do with opening sub-sections (or sub-sub-sections) but simply that, Surrey apart, not enough County followers have made the move to this site from the original 606. Can anything be done to bolster recruitment from outside or from others contributing to different sports on 606 v2?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:33 am

We are certainly trying, guildford. Through Twitter and actively seeking partnerships with known cricketing sites and brands we are trying to increase membership and awareness of our cricket section, however it is proving slow going at this moment in time.

Any suggestions that you feel may assist in recruiting new members please feel free to put them to me.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:07 am

Fists - you certainly seem to be going down the right path as regards external recruitment.

You may well already do this but the only thing I would suggest on the internal side is that every new member - even if their declared interests are Wrestling and Mongolian Films!- should receive a personal message from a Cricket Administrator welcoming them to 606 v2 and flagging the Cricket Section.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

That isn't something we do at the moment, but is certainly something that could be given a go.

Only issue being that if I was really into darts, and someone messaged me about the cricket section, I probably still wouldn't use the cricket section if I didn't have an interest in it, I guess.

What we really need is to get a link to ourselves added to a website such as cricinfo, that'd be huge. I have tried however, and had no response to date.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

shame you havent heard anything back from cricinfo, that would have been awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

Fists of Fury wrote:That isn't something we do at the moment, but is certainly something that could be given a go.

Only issue being that if I was really into darts, and someone messaged me about the cricket section, I probably still wouldn't use the cricket section if I didn't have an interest in it, I guess.

Fists - if someone has no interest, we won't get them. Fully accepted. However, if we don't ask, we might never find out. As long as it's done in a friendly and good humoured way, I don't see any harm being done.

I am, of course, assuming that you and your fellow Cricket Administrators have an infinite amount of time to do this. Wink That said, once you've knocked up a standard ''welcome'', it shouldn't be too bad a task.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

haha lol, good point guildford

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:42 pm

lets just leave it how it is now lol..

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:00 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:

It was all very reclusive in there, with people never venturing outside of the Surrey board etc. It is clear that the majority of those posters are very knowledgeable about cricket, and passionate in their views, and as such it'd be nice if they contributed to the main board regarding topics other than just Surrey now and again. It would make for a much more interesting and vibrant cricket section.

Fists - I am mortified if you have not met my erudite contributions to the Limericks thread Laugh

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Sep 2011, 7:53 pm

haha lol

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 12 Sep 2011, 4:28 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:haha lol
lol

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

What do you guys think about having one more sub-section called 'The 606v2 Honours Board' or something similar, where we can house any Q&A's/interviews which we carry out with cricketers/ex-cricketers.

Likewise, any votes we have on who we think are the best openers of all time etc can be written up properly and kept there for reference.

For example I could set up a thread saying vote for your 10 best spinners of all time, and then when I gather the results and average them out we will have our own 606v2 list. We did something similar on the boxing board which worked well.

What do you think?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:35 am

Agreed mate.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

If I get the agreement of the majority of regulars then I will go ahead and set it up, and we will have our 1st 'name your 10 greatest...' thread later on.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:40 am

ok mate yeah im in agreement

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

Do you consider me as a regular?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:43 am

Yep.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:46 am

So 2 regulars have agreed.
mate i think we should continuously update the all time xis every year(if required).

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

Yeah we will do. See how our perception of players changes over time.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

I agree also, Fists. Sounds good mate.

3 regulars.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

Ok guys the honours board has been created.

Can I ask that you don't create articles there, and that you just comment on articles that are put up i.e. the Q&A's.

Any questions give me a shout.

Cheers

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 28 Sep 2011, 3:32 pm

ok mate its good Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2