The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Englands Back 3 options

+6
flankertye
RubyGuby
Rugby Uberlord
formerly known as Sam
robbo277
Comfort
10 posters

Go down

Englands Back 3 options Empty Englands Back 3 options

Post by Comfort Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

Hi all

Long time reader (back to ol' 606) but only joined a week or so ago and this is my first topic.

I wanted to look at the England back 3 options, or specifically, who'll start alongside Ashton & Foden.

My choices:

Mark Cueto
Matt Banahan
Delon Armitage
Manu Tuilagi

My opinions:

Mark Cueto - Very steady player, very smart, decent kicking game at international level but lost a yard or 2 of pace and his international strike rate isn't exactly great is it? Good solid defender, he wont let you down, and seems more of a creator than a finisher.

Matt Banahan - A big softy, I've yet to see any really positive contribution from him for England. Non-existant kicking game, solid defender, but for his size you'd want him to be a fearsome tackler. Isn't used well, anytime he cuts inside its telegraphed and hes gang-tackled. generally takes the wrong decisions. He has the physical attributes to be a huge threat, but so does Andy Powell.....

Delon Armitage - Coming back into form. A fantastic runner with the ball in hand, agile and pacey. Good kicking game on him and his decision making is fantastic when he's got a bit of confidence. His defence can vary, when on form his defence is excellant, when he's not, well he seems to try too hard... Obviously he's a full back by nature.

Manu Tuilagi - Everything you'd expect from a tuilagi really, physical, fast, hard to bring down, picks good lines and puts in some massive hits. I dont think I've seen him put boot to ball ever, and he tends to jump out of the line. Bearing in mind he's an outside centre, covered wing for Leicester once or twice throughout the season. He'd possibly be less exposed defensively on the wing and physically i dont see many wingers who could stop him bungling them into touch. Its just his decision making I'd question, but he's young, and he'll learn.

I must confess I dont watch every game of the Jeff (AP) but all my opinions are based on what I've seen from them throughout this year so far (club & international level).

Personally, I'd go for Delon Armitage, I think he'd work extremely well with Ashton & Foden. You'd have 2 good kicking options, a huge amount of pace and the ability to counter attack from anywhere. I think by the end of Englands World Cup Tuilagi will be seen as first choice outside centre (Tindall inside/Tuilagi outside anyone?) but the lack of pace/creativity/kicking from the current midfield pair cry out for something other than the size of Banahan/the steadiness of Cueto on the wing.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts!

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Englands Back 3 options Empty Re: Englands Back 3 options

Post by robbo277 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 1:47 pm

I would trial Armitage, Ashton and Foden against Ireland with Tuilagi on the bench, and if that goes well I'd stick with that. If not I'd bring Cueto back in for the Argentina game and try a couple of options out against Georgia and Romania.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

I like the idea of bringing Delon into the team, however, I would want Manu playing in the centres. It should be a major concern that an, albeit well drilled, but ultimately a Welsh side (not exactly known for their water tight defence are they) managed to comfortabley shut down our entire backline. That should not happen!

We need Manu in there somewhere to give us pace and penetration.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:24 pm

Sam, for what its worth, I think Manu will be the first choice outside centre by the end of Englands W.Cup journey.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Uberlord Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

I hope so Comfort

Rugby Uberlord

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

My backline for England

15 - Foden
14 - Ashton
13 - Armitage
12 - Tuilagi
11 - Banahan (I really don't know what Cueto has to offer)
10 - Wilkinson
9 - Youngs

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:46 pm

I'm not overly fussed whether it's Manu or somebody else but we need at least one centre capable of taking the ball over the gainline and causing the opposition defence some problems.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

11- Armitage
14 - Ashton
15 - Foden

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

I think we just have to pray Ashton doesn't get injured as MJ is bound to play Banahan that leaves us with only Foden as a back with any genuine pace oh dear.... Armitage would be nice but isnt an out an out finisher like Ashton.

Reported in Telegraph Manu will play at 12 against Ireland, which would be nice to have a centre who actually challenges defences.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Manu smashing D'Arcy? That might be the highlight of the trouncing for the English contingent. Watching Manu smash O'Brien (the biggest hitter evarrr....) in the HEC was about the only high point for me as a Tigers fan.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

He was the only positive thing for tigers that day. He stood up very well against BOD and D'arcy, and made more of an impact than both of them in my opinion.

He did a lovely switch very similar to his try against Wales on his debut, where he completely split open Leinster's defence.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

RubyGuby wrote:My backline for England

15 - Foden
14 - Ashton
13 - Armitage
12 - Tuilagi
11 - Banahan (I really don't know what Cueto has to offer)
10 - Wilkinson
9 - Youngs

thumbsup
That would be a good attacking backline but Armitage and Tuilagi worry me in defence i think they would be targeted by any half decent side due to lack of experience

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

Doh

Last edited by perand25 on Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replyed to the wrong thread)

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 23 Aug 2011, 7:45 pm

Surely Jonno wouldn't waste Manu out on the wing. As a neutral I wouldn't like facing a trio of Ashton Foden and Armitage
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

I cant work out why Ojo is constantly overlooked...along with JSD (which i think we have all discussed for many a year)

Ojo is a flying machine who scores. JSD is one of Englands most talented backs for years.

Johnno has pleased me with part of our improvement...but i still feel that he needs to sort his coaching staff out...and get his selection policies right.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by perand25 Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:42 pm

Isnt it something to do about what happened in Nz although Strettle got in the squad. Same goes for Mike Brown and wasnt the other player Care? I seem to recall that it was widely regarded that Ojo would never play for England again ----or i could be totally wrong Whistle

perand25

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

Yeah Ojo wasnt the only one involved but seems to have been suffered the most.
On form and fit...he's a player who should defo be considered.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down