The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00

4 posters

Go down

Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00 Empty Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00

Post by Guest Thu 25 Aug 2011, 5:52 pm

In their last pre-season friendly, the Scarlets travel down to Sandy Park to take on Exeter Chiefs:

Scarlets article here

Scarlets team:

15 Daniel Evans,14 Lee Williams, 13 Nick Reynolds, 12 Aled Thomas, 11 Andy Fenby, 10 Dan Newton, 9 Rhodri Williams, 1 Rhodri Jones, 2 Emyr Phillips, 3 Peter Edwards, 4 Aaron Shingler, 5 Dominic Day, 6 Josh Turnbull, 7 Johnathan Edwards (capt) 8 Ben Morgan.

Replacements: Justin James, Rhodri Gomer-Davies, Adam Warren, Lee Rees, Rhys Jones, Iestyn Thomas, Kirby Myhill, Phil John, Simon Gardiner, Lou Reed, Damian Welch, Craig Price, Richie Pugh.

Injury update: Not available for selection Rob McCusker (minor calf strain), Jordan Williams (minor shin injury), Rhys Thomas (minor shoulder injury).

Not a bad line up for the Scarlets really, pack looking strong so fingers crossed they perform otherwise that's going to be a huge worry going into the start of a new season. The back are full of youngsters, but apart from Gareth Maule really there isn't anyone else for us to bring in. I really hope they show a lot of promise as I expect them all to get a lot of game time this season during the world cup period.

Anyone know the Chiefs team?

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00 Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:12 am

From the Chiefs' Offy

EXETER CHIEFS TEAM TO PLAY SCARLETS

15 Luke Arscott
14 Josh Tatupu
13 Sireli Naqelevuki
12 Jason Shoemark
11 Matt Jess
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Haydn Thomas
1 Brett Sturgess
2 Chris Whitehead
3 Hoani Tui
4 Peter Short
5 James Hanks
6 Tom Johnson
7 James Scaysbrook
8 Richard Baxter

16 Neil Clark
17 Ben Moon
18 Chris Budgen
19 Tom Hayes
20 James Phillips
21 Ben White
22 Kevin Barrett
23 Ignacio Mieres
24 Bryan Rennie
25 Phil Dollman

A familiar look to the team, but new signing Tatupu plays his third straight pre-season. No starting place for inspirational skipper Tommy Hayes, who played his first game back from a neck op last week, with another new boy, Peter Short, slotting into the engine room.

This looks to be close to next week's starting XV, but there's strong competition for places throughout with the possible exception of 6 and 15 where TJ and Luke are peerless.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00 Empty Re: Exeter Chiefs v Scarlets Saturday 27th August ko 15:00

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:37 am

Considering we have a number of players out for the RWC (10 i believe), and a decent sized injury list for the start of the season, things are not looking too bad when you see the quality of side we can put out. I am looking forward to seeing what Rhodri Williams does with a few games under his belt, as what I have seen of him so far he seems to be the latest Scarlets scrum half that should have big things in front of him.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:52 am

I see Damien Welch is on the bench again - I know it's a pre-season friendly but this seems really strange as I can't remember the last time he started a game.

Looks a good team, especially considering the players missing (I do almost wish Scott Williams hadn't made the Welsh squad), but there's not many experienced backs on the bench.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 3:36 pm

after 32 mins it's Exeter 6 - 3 Scarlets

Will post more score updates as I find them.

Smirnoff - know what you mean about Scott Williams!

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 3:46 pm

Thanks keep the updates coming! Wales
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

tis 6 - 3 still at HT, sounds like both kickers have had a few missed attempts.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 3:53 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:tis 6 - 3 still at HT, sounds like both kickers have had a few missed attempts.

Do you think it's suprising that the Scarlets are travelling to places like Exeter in pre-season?
Maybe it would of been better to play the Ospreys home and away and get a bumper crowd in.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 3:59 pm

no not really, we played Clermont last week as well. We need different sort of competition pre-season then just playing Welsh sides I think. Our players need to be tested against different opposition, and by going up against physical packs, we've a better idea of where we're at before the start of the Pro12 I think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

I believe it's not 6-6

Gomer-Davies coming on for Reynolds in his first ever appearance for the Scarlets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:10 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I believe it's not 6-6

Gomer-Davies coming on for Reynolds in his first ever appearance for the Scarlets.

Sounds like a dire game though on the score board.
Trench warfare in poor conditions?
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:11 pm

not sure to be honest, only getting updates from the Scarlets fbook page. Sounds like the Scarlets are forcing things too much in their passing game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

64 mins and still 6-6, Scarlets making all their changes now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

77 mins and tis 16-6 to the Chiefs after two quick tries from Jess and Rennie. Scarlets making more changes, looks like they just want to see how all their young players go today, as apposed to worrying too much about the result. Would have loved for them to get a win though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:40 pm

argh!!!

79 mins, try and conversion for RHys Jones, make it 16 - 13!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

FT Chiefs 16 - 13 Scarlets.

I shall eagerly await the match reports now to see how our youngsters got on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:45 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:FT Chiefs 16 - 13 Scarlets.

I shall eagerly await the match reports now to see how our youngsters got on.

Yep, it depends on the strength of the Exeter side, but the Scarlets had a kinder garden (+ Ben Morgan) side out from what I can see.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

that side will most likely be our team throughout the world cup months Alyn, so it was important they played well. Can't get over how young some of them are though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 5:47 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:that side will most likely be our team throughout the world cup months Alyn, so it was important they played well. Can't get over how young some of them are though.

Yes I guess your right, funnily enough the Scarlets brought through a team of kids and all have been sucked into the Wales team over the last year. So now they need to find a whole new team of kids to replace the kids Wales stole! Headscratch

Knoyle, Stephen Jones, Preistland, Stoddard, North, Williams, Davies from the back line alone! While your left wing is in the Scotland squad!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 27 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

I know, it's crazy Alyn, add in the loss of Regan King to Clermont and that is effectively our entire backline gone!

We've got Fenby, Lee Williams and Maule as our only experienced players in the backs really. It's going to be a tough couple of months for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:48 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I know, it's crazy Alyn, add in the loss of Regan King to Clermont and that is effectively our entire backline gone!

We've got Fenby, Lee Williams and Maule as our only experienced players in the backs really. It's going to be a tough couple of months for us.

Then again you might unearth a couple of gems thumbsup
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down