The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad

+11
m@tt
Carrotdude
msp83
JDizzle
Gregers
Hoggy_Bear
hodge
Stellar Key
Liam_Main
robbo277
Fists of Fury
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad Empty Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

Quite surprised by this. The ECB have said it is consistent with 'managing players workloads', though I find it surprising given we haven't got a Test series for a while now.

India will be thanking their lucky stars, given the form he was in!

Thoughts, and thoughts on a replacement?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad Empty Re: Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:53 pm

he isnt omitted he has been rested and stokes is in there for him

Back to top Go down

Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad Empty Re: Pietersen omitted from England ODI squad

Post by robbo277 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

I imagine we'll see a top 5 of Kies, Cook, Trott, Bell and Morgan with a hitter (Stokes) coming in at 6 and 5 more bowling options (Bres, Swann, Broad, Anderson and Dernbach?). Wouldn't be the worst move as it allows us to look at other options, with Trott and Bell both getting a shot in the middle-order, with Pietersen to come back in the away series.

It is certainly completely different circumstances to when we saw him dropped from the ODI squad last year (I think it was last year!)

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:04 pm

Being rested is being omitted cricketfan - there is no difference. Omitted means 'removed', which is what has happened, considering he was in the original squad.

Anyway, that is beside the point.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

Gives a youngster a go and he deserves it, Stokes will replace him well. Would of liked to see Taylor in the squad though.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

Buttler and Hales in the T20 Squad also.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

Full limited over squads:

http://www.ecb.co.uk/ecb/about-ecb/media-releases/eng,315650,EN.html

England NatWest International Twenty20 squad
Stuart Broad (captain, Nottinghamshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Jos Buttler (Somerset)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Alex Hales (Nottinghamshire)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Surrey)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)

England NatWest Series squad
Alastair Cook (captain, Essex)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Jade Dernbach (Surrey)
Steven Finn (Middlesex)
Craig Kieswetter (Somerset)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Samit Patel (Nottinghamshire)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)
Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire)

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

Glad Buttler has been selected, top prospect.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:29 pm

Unless they have a logical reason I'm not so sure with this idea. Last year it made totally sound sense to leave him with other duties and KP came good by the oz tour.

Putting our #1 team out against the world champions makes more sense to me in this very successful summer. :-/

edit Cool

Good to see Buttler and Hales in the T20 squad. That sqd. looks impressive.

I'm not so happy with the 50 over sqd.

Last edited by Stellar Key on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Fri 26 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

Will be interesting to see how they use Buttler

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

omitted from england squad, and my deccan chargers squad :p

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

No James Taylor???

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

Anyone like to guess what my thoughts on this piece of news are?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 26 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

Haha! Guessing your happy?

You're a strange one Gregers Wink

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:07 pm

Hmm. Not too happy with that if I am honest. Having Cook, Bell and Trott in our top five looks a little on dimensional if I am honest. It might work in England, but it would never work in the sub continent. KP needs to play if we are to win a WC. Also disappointed that there is no room for Taylor in the squad, he averages 50 in List A cricket! Get him in in! Nice to see Stokes in the squad though.

Like the T20 squad. Buttler and Hales have been the English players of the T20 season and it is good to see them getting recognised.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

jimmy will be key as ususal in this series!

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm

Thank god for that!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 26 Aug 2011, 5:35 pm

On 2nd thoughts, as I also support England, I doubt the wisdom of this move. KP is a confidence player, and I don't know what will be the impact of this on the man. Has his recent ODI form played any part in this decision? if so, think England selectors have got all wrong. KP was back to his confident self against India, and the last thing he needed was time away from the setup.
But from the point of view of the Indians, They would really welcome this from the deepest depth of their hearts. Regardless of his not so great ODI form, the most valued ODI wicket in the England lineup is that of KP, and him being not there due to selectors not picking him, doesn't make much sense for me.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Fri 26 Aug 2011, 6:57 pm

If Pietersen is being rested then surely Taylor should be coming in to try his hand. Bell will play at number 4 ahead of Morgan, Bopara and Stokes I would imagine. Something like:

Cook
Kieswetter
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Bopara
Stokes
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

It has 6 bowling options if you include Stokes but Patel could replace either him or Bopara to give a second spinner option. Trouble is I really don't rate Patel as a batsman. It is a solid enough line up but we'll struggle as ever on flat pitches as we will really find it hard to post big scores with Cook, Trott and Bell all in the same line up.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Fri 26 Aug 2011, 7:09 pm

Carrotdude - Stokes can't bowl yet due to his injury earlier in the summer, so he's there as a batsman only.

A good T20 squad. Hales, Stokes and Buttler are strong additions to the team.

Suggested team:

01 Kieswetter, 02 Hales, 03 Pietersen, 04 Morgan, 05 Stokes, 06 Buttler, 07 Patel, 08 Bresnan, 09 Swann, 10 Broad, 11 Dernbach

ODI squad... Stokes is a excellent young player, good to see him included although he still can't bowl due to his injured finger.

Surprised to see Taylor not included, he's scored 2 one-day hundreds in the past fortnight, averages over 50 in the format and captains the Lions. Surely now is the best time to get him involved with the full squad (the Ireland game hardly counts as the full squad).

Bopara? Another chance for him then. Not sure how a front line batsman with his ODI record continues to be picked. And he's also in the T20 squad despite a strike rate of under a run-a-ball in the format!

At least resting Pietersen will give Bell an opportunity to bat higher up and create space for Stokes. Despite Bell's huge improvement in the Test format, he has got to prove himself in this format soon. We can't carry Pietersen, Bell and Bopara in this team based on potential when their recent records are so poor.
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:30 pm

Bell and Bopara, particularly the latter, never proved their ODI class.
Pietersen did so quite early in his career, and before his extended rough patch bigann, he was averaging close to 50. Even now, his ODI average is around 40, and those are some numbers!!.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:31 pm

KP was dropped not rested... he hasnt shown ODI form for a good 2 years now.

Buttler really deserves his chance

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

Nick Knight seems to think he was dropped.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by tobbox Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:33 pm

I reckon he's about to retire from ODI cricket.

tobbox

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat 27 Aug 2011, 7:39 pm

Pietersen enjoys the shorter format i'll doubt he'll retire. Although I don't see where his one-day Career goes from here.

Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:02 am

He'll be back, yet again proving all the doubters wrong. Think Andi Flower's just sending him a message.
Also, I don't see England going a head without KP for long if they are serious about ODI cricket. Kieswetter is hit or miss, and other than him aand Morgan, there is noone who has the natural tallent to play good ODI cricket.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Sun 28 Aug 2011, 9:18 am

England's ODI record under Strauss, the post-Ashes series and World Cup aside, is actually very good and we won a lot of series. That was done either without KP or with him not contributing. There's no reason, based on his ODI form, why resting him makes us a worse side.
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 28 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

I refuse to believe that KP could be dropped for inconsistent form while Ravi Bopara sits happily in the England squad! Drop him from the team by all means, or if you want him to go back to his county then bring in some young blood to see how they fair (with KP to come back when he gets his form back), but I don't think anyone in their sane mind can drop KP for a poor ODI record and then keep Bopara in the squad.

Averages under 30, strike rate under 75 (that's less than Trott!), a high score of 60 and just 5 50s in 56 innings.

Pietersen may not have had a good series since he lost the England captaincy, but if he is dropped than so should Bopara be. Pietersen at least has the natural talent to succeed at this format and at this level, even if the performances haven't been there recently.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Sun 28 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

I don't understand it either Robbo - his ODI record is very underwhelming and how he makes the T20 squad when his strike rate in the format is under 100, I do not know!
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by hopeforthebest Sun 28 Aug 2011, 3:23 pm

Has it dawned on anyone that Pietersen requested time off or that he has a niggle that needs resting. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and all this jumping to conclusions is pointless.
Strauss now has a 4/5 month rest, perhaps KP popped into see Flower and said "what about me old son, I'm the next oldest".

hopeforthebest

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sun 28 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

I think the sheer amount of international cricket is a concern for any player. It seems there IS a real policy of resting players and this fits with the splitting of the teams for the three formats of the games. If you are likely to play on merit in all three forms, then you would play an impossible amount of cricket, at least for most. We saw the effects of this on the recent India Test side and series.

The E&WCB rightly sees Test Cricket as the pinnacle of the game and puts out a max strength side; but it seems in the other two formats space is deliberately being made to rest players.

KP (for example) would be selected for all three formats and looking at our schedule over the next two years a fairly organised and preset rota of rests ought to allow him some chance of maintaining a reasonable work/life balance. Hopefully, this will avoid the sort of burnout we saw with the Indians and keep him physically and mentally fit longer and more consistently.

Apply this to all players and we have a system which ought to help us stay at the top for longer.

I don't think there's a secret niggle; I don't think there's politics; I think this is deliberate long term policy and I welcome it.

edit: It also fits with the sending home of Jimmy during the Ashes to be with his missus when she gave birth. Perhaps the example of Trescothick has had positive effects in alerting people to the real pressures our cricketers face.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 28 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

Agreed Cowshot, if Pietersen is just being rested then I have no problem with it. It gives KP a much needed break and gives Stokes a chance (and Bell a chance up the order).

I just can't buy that he's been dropped while Bopara makes it, (unless he's in as a bowler!)

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun 28 Aug 2011, 7:42 pm

tobbox wrote:I reckon he's about to retire from ODI cricket.

I think you could be right

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 29 Aug 2011, 8:58 am

not long till the t20 starts wednesday

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:53 pm

be intresting to see how cooky gets on against india as captain..

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug 2011, 3:02 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:not long till the t20 starts wednesday

Will hopefully be okay to watch it tomorrow, i'm going to be in hospital to have my wisdom teeth out and being put under general anaesthetic so may be groggy for the rest of the day, but will try to stay awake so watch it Very Happy

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

i'm going to be in hospital to have my wisdom teeth out and being put under general anaesthetic so may be groggy for the rest of the day,

ouch. I had two done, and recommend Nurofen (liquitabs if you can find them). It actually worked.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

hmm maybe thanks for the suggestion, because i'm having them out stupid people have said i cant play last league game of the season saturday Crying or Very sad

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

i cant play last league game of the season saturday

It's very possible you'll have stitches, and a smack in the chops could be very messy.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:52 pm

Cowshot wrote:
i cant play last league game of the season saturday

It's very possible you'll have stitches, and a smack in the chops could be very messy.

which is what they said and to be fair the ball has hit me in the face once this season already laughing

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:25 am

They've restricted Twitter, otherwise we could have had something from KP himself.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:39 am

he has to be rested, they wouldnt drop him now he has finally in a bit of form.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

Yeah I agree cf, no way he has been dropped after the destructive mode he was in during the Test series.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

I think he has been dropped. Look at his form in ODI's over the past 24 months its awful!

Plus Flower probably didn't like him going home with a 'hernia' in the middle of the world cup.

Gregers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:28 am

its all a conspiracy and he's secretly gonna play Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

If he had been dropped on form it would be a bit odd that he was in the T20 and Test sides.
You can average 100+ in tests, you can score fast enough to be the senior batsman in theT20 side, but we dont trust that you can play 50 over cricket better than Bopara?

No he hasnt been dropped.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

Logic doesn't suggest he has been dropped. But the logic of the decision for me, has to be questioned, even if its resting, particularly if he wanted to play.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

staggered that he has been rested, for such an importnt series

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:If he had been dropped on form it would be a bit odd that he was in the T20 and Test sides.
You can average 100+ in tests, you can score fast enough to be the senior batsman in theT20 side, but we dont trust that you can play 50 over cricket better than Bopara?

No he hasnt been dropped.

Agreed. Rested. Didn't want him burning out and suffering another drop in form I guess. English cricket has to be happy with where KP is at right now, he is on his way back toward becoming a great batsman again.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:45 am

its going to be a very intresting series

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next