The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~ Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions

+17
Smirnoffpriest
Kingshu
rhino-dragon
munkian
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
Impossible Standards
pete (buachaill on eirne)
beshocked
Mickado
MBTGOG
Notch
Taffineastbourne
wales606
Cymroglan
red_stag
greybeard
Shifty
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~  Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions - Page 2 Empty Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~ Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions

Post by Shifty Mon 29 Aug 2011, 5:08 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fri 2 Sep 19:05 Ospreys v Leinster Liberty Stadium BBCw
Fri 2 Sep 19:05 Ulster v Warriors Ravenhill BBCni/ALBA
Fri 2 Sep 19:30 Edinburgh v Blues Murrayfield
Sat 3 Sep 15:00 Treviso v Connacht Stadio di Monigo
Sat 3 Sep 19:45 Munster v Dragons Musgrave Park TG4/S4C
Sun 4 Sep 16:00 Scarlets v Aironi Parc y Scarlets S4C

The rugby season officially starts this week, though I think most of us have forgotten because of the looming World Cup Whistle

Personally I think it will be all home wins apart from Connacht winning in Trevisio.

Anyone going to see any of the games?

I'm going to the Ospreys and am hoping to go to the Scarlets one also Wales

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~  Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions - Page 2 Empty Re: Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~ Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions

Post by Impossible Standards Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:28 am

I presume those wins were against the likes of Aironi,Connacht,Treviso and Glasgow?

Connacht smashed us by 40 points.... mad

Our away wins were, Ospreys, Aironi and Sale in the LV. Our Draw was against Glasgow.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~  Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions - Page 2 Empty Re: Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~ Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions

Post by greybeard Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:29 am

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Jones too

True, added, apologies.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:31 am

Dragons do have an overall home record win at 70% which is good.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:15 pm

Is anyone else a little bit surprised at Connachts decision to hand the Captaincy to Gavin Duffy ahead of John Muldoon?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:17 pm

Did they? Don't like that. FBs are too far away from the action. And we'll probably see Muldoons yellow card count sky-rocket.

With his injuries I guess they want him to concentrate on his game, though.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

I don't think older statistics give an insight though, new coaching structure, news players and a new belieft at the Dragons at the moment.

I'd be happy with a losing bonus point though Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

I'm actually starting to get a little nervous about the Scarlets' match v Aironi on Sunday. I think Aironi are really going to target it. We're without our entire first choice backline, and we've only got our 3rd choice scrum half to probably start. We're very lucky this match is at home, and I reckon it's going to be a lot closer that people think.

I'd forgotton what the's pre-match Scarlets nerves felt like....man I've missed them!

Back to top Go down

Post by rhino-dragon Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:41 pm

Dragons have not got a snowball in hells chance of beating Munster.

Without the famous five who will be at the world cup, Evans, Hall and with "Sand" Castle sadly playing for us it will be a massive loss.

rhino-dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:47 pm

rhino-dragon wrote:Dragons have not got a snowball in hells chance of beating Munster.

Without the famous five who will be at the world cup, Evans, Hall and with "Sand" Castle sadly playing for us it will be a massive loss.

Dragons looked good and in-sync against Russia and Leeds - I know pre season friendlies aren't exactly the same thing but I don't think we are THAT awful without the International players. Munster will be missing their lot aswell.

Have Munster played many pre season games ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 12:58 pm

rugbydreamer wrote:I'm actually starting to get a little nervous about the Scarlets' match v Aironi on Sunday. I think Aironi are really going to target it. We're without our entire first choice backline, and we've only got our 3rd choice scrum half to probably start. We're very lucky this match is at home, and I reckon it's going to be a lot closer that people think.

I'd forgotton what the's pre-match Scarlets nerves felt like....man I've missed them!

Hey buddy, I found Car Park B on Sunday, so hopefully Thunderbirds are go.
Also Aironi are without 9 players to World Cup duty.

Fabio Ongaro Hooker
Salvatore Perugini Prop
Marco Bortolami Lock
Carlo del Fava Lock
Quintin Geldenhuys Lock
Pablo Canavosio Scrum-half
Riccardo Bocchino Fly-half
Matteo Pratichetti Centre
Giulio Toniolatti Wing

They also released most of their big name foreign players too. French international Julien Laharrague has gone.
Argentinian international Horacio San Martín has gone with his countryman Ulyses Gamboa.
While South Africans Danwel Demas, Dylan Des Fountain, Vickus Liebenberg have all gone back to South African provinces and Gareth Krause retired.

One thing you know with a Scarlets back line... they will know how to use the ball... and if their really good players, one day, just one day they may be good enough to play for the Ospreys! Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~  Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions - Page 2 Shy10
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:07 pm

AlynDavies wrote:
rugbydreamer wrote:I'm actually starting to get a little nervous about the Scarlets' match v Aironi on Sunday. I think Aironi are really going to target it. We're without our entire first choice backline, and we've only got our 3rd choice scrum half to probably start. We're very lucky this match is at home, and I reckon it's going to be a lot closer that people think.

Hey buddy, I found Car Park B on Sunday, so hopefully Thunderbirds are go.
Also Aironi are without 9 players to World Cup duty.

Fabio Ongaro Hooker
Salvatore Perugini Prop
Marco Bortolami Lock
Carlo del Fava Lock
Quintin Geldenhuys Lock
Pablo Canavosio Scrum-half
Riccardo Bocchino Fly-half
Matteo Pratichetti Centre
Giulio Toniolatti Wing

They also released most of their big name foreign players too. French international Julien Laharrague has gone.
Argentinian international Horacio San Martín has gone with his countryman Ulyses Gamboa.
While South Africans Danwel Demas, Dylan Des Fountain, Vickus Liebenberg have all gone back to South African provinces and Gareth Krause retired.

One thing you know with a Scarlets back line... they will know how to use the ball... and if their really good players, one day, just one day they may be good enough to play for the Ospreys! Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~  Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions - Page 2 Shy10

laughing now now, we all know they're only great at the Scarlets, once they leave, tis all down hill from there.... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

rugbydreamer wrote: laughing now now, we all know they're only great at the Scarlets, once they leave, tis all down hill from there.... Wink
Ahhh you are of course talking about Steven Shingler who recently joined London Irish... well of course I agree! Rabo Direct Pro 12 ~  Fixtures Week 1 / Discussion/ Predictions - Page 2 Shush10
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 30 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

Beshocked there are head to heads listed on pro 12 page

go to the fixtures and clink for overview on each,

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/matchcentre/2648.php?section=overview&fixid=158899

In The celtic league only (no h-cup games or friendlies) played 16 Munster have won 10 Dragons won 6

Honours were even in the two encounters between the two sides last season, with each team winning its respective home encounter, whilst the Dragons' in this RaboDirect PRO12 game will be hoping to add to their only previous win on Munster soil: 16-6 at Thomond Park on 12 March 2004

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Rugbydreamer - do you know when G Davies is back?

It will be interesting the competition with the new Kiwi SH we've signed.

Also hope he's had enough time to get integrated into the squad si he can come off the bench if needed.

Still I'm excited to see what our backs can do with almost our 1st team pack infront of them

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:11 pm

Dragons squad for Munster
Backs Martyn Thomas, Steffan Jones, Adam Hughes, Mike Poole, Pat Leach, Tom Riley, Ashley Smith, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Joe Bedford,
Forwards Phil Price, Tom Willis (c), Rhys Buckley, Nathan Williams, Dan Way, Ben Castle, Adam Jones, Jevon Groves, Robert Sidoli, Andrew Coombs, Gavin Thomas, Hugo Ellis, Tom Brown

Wales
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:12 pm

Oooh, I just got all excited. Club rugby is back !

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

You'll hammer them, most likely. They are very much a weakened side and they just don't have the same strength in depth as Welsh/Irish teams.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:18 pm

Aironi started getting better towards the end of the season after a change in management. I think the end of the season came too early for them otherwise they might have had a couple more wins.

They're starting from scratch again and have lost a number of players. Getting them early while they're cold is a good draw, I reckon.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:21 pm

greybeard wrote:Oooh, I just got all excited. Club rugby is back !

Its the most wonderful time of the year ! Yahoo
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 5:28 pm

Smirnoffpriest wrote:Rugbydreamer - do you know when G Davies is back?

It will be interesting the competition with the new Kiwi SH we've signed.

Also hope he's had enough time to get integrated into the squad si he can come off the bench if needed.

Still I'm excited to see what our backs can do with almost our 1st team pack infront of them

Not sure Smirnoff, last I heard he was still struggling with an injury, not sure whether that's knee, ankle or groin though as we have 3 palyers out injured at the mo (and trust me not to remember which other ones Doh )

Good point on the Kiwi SH, fingers crossed he fits in well.

Notch - I wouldn't be so sure we'll hammer them. It'll be a very close 60mins I feel, and then - who knows? Going by the pre-season friendly reports we've been trying to force things too much and making loads of mistakes that are keeping othersides in the game. Weakened or no, Aironi can take advantage of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:06 pm

munkian wrote:
greybeard wrote:Oooh, I just got all excited. Club rugby is back !

Its the most wonderful time of the year ! Yahoo

It is...then after about two games the despair kicks in.

As a Blues fan, it was Dan Parks this year and SNK the year before...at least we havent got any new FHs this year, and Parks is off with Scotland (thank you Scotland) Smile
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:13 pm

greybeard wrote:Anyway, as you say, back to the sensible teams.

I'm probably going to put my foot in it right now, but I just don't see Dragons winning in Cork. I know they haven't lost many players, but there's something about Munsters tenacity at home. They may have lost a large number of players, but the ones at home like Howlett, Coughlan, Ronan will drive them.

They have a young set of backs that have 2-3 years already under their belt and they played a significant role in Munsters excellent ML season last year, and at out half they have recruited a very capable understudy to ROG.
THE major factor that you failed to mention is the homer refs that we get in this league.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by jb1973 Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

all home wine for me

jb1973

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:21 am

munkian wrote:Dragons squad for Munster
Backs Martyn Thomas, Steffan Jones, Adam Hughes, Mike Poole, Pat Leach, Tom Riley, Ashley Smith, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Joe Bedford,
Forwards Phil Price, Tom Willis (c), Rhys Buckley, Nathan Williams, Dan Way, Ben Castle, Adam Jones, Jevon Groves, Robert Sidoli, Andrew Coombs, Gavin Thomas, Hugo Ellis, Tom Brown

Wales

Weaker than I thought really. Surprised Wayne is fit again, but disappointing Lewis Evans has a niggle and that Scott Morgan and Goose aren't in there. Wonder where Pewtner is too? Guess Martyn will be on the wing.

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:42 am

i just hope we dont get a trouncing like at connaught at the beginning of last year, two solid performances away to munster and leinster with hopefully 2 losing BP's would be good results for us, need to target the connaught match tho!

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:10 pm

Saw the Planet Rugby preview here http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3825_7140466,00.html

They see it going down like this in terms of the top six;

1. Leinster
2. Ulster
3. Scarlets
4. Munster
5. Ospreys
6. Blues

Agree? Disagree?

I would be delighted if we could place 2nd, but I think we're going to see a very tight top 4 this hear with no one side dominating. That makes it hard to call. I have some faith we'll be in that group and eke out a top 4 finish.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

I'd be surprised to see Ulster claim second. Maybe swap Munster and Ulster.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

red_stag wrote:I'd be surprised to see Ulster claim second. Maybe swap Munster and Ulster.

And so it begins Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:53 pm

This is apparently our team.

Phil Price,
Tom Willis,
Ben Castle
Adam Jones,
Rob Sidoli,
Andrew Coombs,
Gavin Thomas,
Tom Brown,
Joe Bedford,
Jason Tovey,
Mike Poole,
Ash Smith,
Tom Riley,
Adam Hughes,
Steffan Jones.

From the squad we picked it's pretty much what I expected bar Wayne at 9 and maybe Martyn 14, Adam Hughes 13. It's not too bad, but I'd still fancy Munster to win.

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:54 pm

Even as a Leinster fan, I'm not putting them in as being a lock for top spot. I reckon Munster or Ospreys can have surprisingly decent runs. Especially Munster, sure last season how many times did the 1st XV trot out and they still won a ridiculous number of games both at home and away.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

I think the Ospreys have a good chance provided they get off to a good start and dont have too many slip ups. Dan Biggar needs a big season and we do have tons of experience and still have 10+ Welsh internationals to call up. Duncan Jones has looked sensational in pre-season,
Mefin Davies is a wily old campaigner
Cai Griffiths is a soli tight head who has played for Wales
Ian Evans looks to be over last seasons long injury lay off,
Ian Gough is very experianced, not good enough for Wales, but good enough for Magners.
Jonathan Thomas, Tipuric give us solid flankers at this level also.

I'd say the Ospreys probably have the strongest pack of all the teams in the league pre-World Cup, hopefully they can make it count.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

Ospreys team to face Leinster:

15 Richard Fussell
14 Kristian Phillips
13 Andrew Bishop
12 Ashley Beck
11 Hanno Dirksen
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb

1 Duncan Jones
2 Mefin Davies
3 Cai Griffiths
4 Ian Gough
5 Ian Evans
6 Tom Smith
7 Justin Tipuric (Capt)
8 Jonathan Thomas

Replacements

16 Matthew Dwyer
17 Ken Dowding
18 Joe Rees
19 James King
20 Morgan Allen
21 Tom Isaacs
22 Matthew Morgan
23 Sonny Parker

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

Risca Rev wrote:This is apparently our team.

Phil Price,
Tom Willis,
Ben Castle
Adam Jones,
Rob Sidoli,
Andrew Coombs,
Gavin Thomas,
Tom Brown,
Joe Bedford,
Jason Tovey,
Mike Poole,
Ash Smith,
Tom Riley,
Adam Hughes,
Steffan Jones.

From the squad we picked it's pretty much what I expected bar Wayne at 9 and maybe Martyn 14, Adam Hughes 13. It's not too bad, but I'd still fancy Munster to win.

Hughes moved to the wing again?! Thats annoying, as I think he has an international future at 13, but he has little special for a winger. I thought the Dragons management said they would consider him a centre now.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

wales606 wrote:
Risca Rev wrote:This is apparently our team.

Phil Price,
Tom Willis,
Ben Castle
Adam Jones,
Rob Sidoli,
Andrew Coombs,
Gavin Thomas,
Tom Brown,
Joe Bedford,
Jason Tovey,
Mike Poole,
Ash Smith,
Tom Riley,
Adam Hughes,
Steffan Jones.

Hughes moved to the wing again?! Thats annoying, as I think he has an international future at 13, but he has little special for a winger. I thought the Dragons management said they would consider him a centre now.

Pewtner, Smith and Harries are injured, so our hand was forced a little. As I said they could've put Martyn Thomas there possibly. Anyway, that's the team confirmed. Pretty unproven bench then (Wayne Evans and Martyn Thomas aside).

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:10 pm

I hope they play well but that is a big ask for their 1st game. Anyway fingers crossed and I do like that backline - though strange Evans isn't playing. And fingers crossed Thomas comes on and starts to get back into his stride in the 1st month or 2

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2