The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING!

+12
BoxingFan88
Lumbering_Jack
The Galveston Giant
tommyhearns
Adam D
88Chris05
Union Cane
Rodney
coxy0001
oxring
azania
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING! Empty WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:12 am

1. Like it or not America is still synonymous with quality and we are still regarded as the bad guys of the World stage. Beating an American for a title is still in alot of the public's eyes more bonafide.

2. America is the centre of the Boxing stage. The home of Boxing. Good American fighters become big everywhere else and reinvigorate the Sport. Has a knock on effect.

3. All the World's major networks are there..and publications.

4. America does promotion better than anyone else. The more top American fighters the more interest and promotion the Sport gets.

Like it or not Boxing is better when America has a bigger interest......as we are still the Country everybody wants to beat...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING! Empty Re: WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING!

Post by azania Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:16 am

Unfortunately you are correct. To make it big, you have to headline a major Vegas card. To really make it big, you have to be American and headline a Vegas card. Chavez and Duran being the exception of course.

azania

Back to top Go down

WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING! Empty Re: WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING!

Post by oxring Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:16 am

It would certainly get people more interested - IN THE UK and arguably the west.

However - in the world - most Germans, Ukrainians, Russian, Thai, Philippino, Japanese etc crowds couldn't give 2 stuffs about US dominance - as they'll turn out screaming to watch Klitschko's/Boytsov's/Povetkins/Wonjonkams/Pacquiaos/Donaires anyway.

It does look better when the sport fills out a stadium - eg Dalas cowboys/MSG etc... - as opposed to what we have more commonly with a half empty MGM grand.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:17 am

All we need now is Lewis is Canadian, rolled like a drunk and a whinge about your father in law and you'll have successfully broken your monotonous virginity on here as well! Wink

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:19 am

Some valid points Truss, some not so valid IMO.

Look at Pacquiao,Cotto,Chavez,Lewis,Barrera,Morales,Trinidad in recent years have shown they can attract PPV audiences in the states, Pacquiao is the world leading performer, I believe excitement sells. However you're correct you need the states on your side, certainly an exciting American heavyweight would be nice.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:24 am

Boxing's 'Blue Riband' division is the Heavyweights, lets look at America's Ten Finest...

1 Eddie Chambers
2 Tony Thompson
3 Chris Arreola
4 Franklin Lawrence
5 Evander Holyfield
6 Ray Austin
7 Antonio Tarver
8 Johnathon Banks
9 Chazz Witherspoon
10 Seth Mitchell

Rolling Eyes
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:27 am

Agree to a certain extent, although I disagree as strongly as I can disagree on anything with your point that winning a belt from an American makes it more bonafide.

I don't necessarily think that we need a shed load of good American fighters to keep the sport alive, but we do need the promoters, revenue and networks that the States bring. That said, the emergence of these probably rest upon a decent core of talent, hence why I said I do agree to a certain extent.

Essentially though, talent is talent and I think the PPV performances of men such as Pacquiao, Trinidad, Lewis, Chavez, Cotto and so on, as well as the clamour for a Haye-Klitschko bout (a fight between two non-Americans, which will take place on non-American soil) demonstrates that while American dominance could in a sense be considered best for the sport, it's hardly a necessity.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:27 am

Union Cane wrote:Boxing's 'Blue Riband' division is the Heavyweights, lets look at America's Ten Finest...

1 Eddie Chambers
2 Tony Thompson
3 Chris Arreola
4 Franklin Lawrence
5 Evander Holyfield
6 Ray Austin
7 Antonio Tarver
8 Johnathon Banks
9 Chazz Witherspoon
10 Seth Mitchell

Rolling Eyes

Absolutely Cane - that is why on the "boxing is in decline" thread, I mentioned that the decline of the US heavyweight championship is a big part of why boxing isnt as popular anymore.

Is Evander really that high up?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:34 am

Can someone explain why only the OP is showing on this thread even though it shows 7 replies?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 22 Feb 2011, 11:43 am

Union Cane wrote:Boxing's 'Blue Riband' division is the Heavyweights, lets look at America's Ten Finest...

1 Eddie Chambers
2 Tony Thompson
3 Chris Arreola
4 Franklin Lawrence
5 Evander Holyfield
6 Ray Austin
7 Antonio Tarver
8 Johnathon Banks
9 Chazz Witherspoon
10 Seth Mitchell

Rolling Eyes

Where's THE KINGPIN Kevin Johnson?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 22 Feb 2011, 1:24 pm

I know it can be viewed as a windup article but it isn't. When America is succesful the World knows about it generating interest and making foreign fighters want some of the riches......

Whenever Boxing has thrived in the past it's been when America has been succesful...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 22 Feb 2011, 1:54 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I know it can be viewed as a windup article but it isn't. When America is succesful the World knows about it generating interest and making foreign fighters want some of the riches......

Whenever Boxing has thrived in the past it's been when America has been succesful...

Or is it whenever boxing has thrived in America; America has been successful?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by tommyhearns Wed 16 Mar 2011, 8:24 pm

we gotta read all these regurgitated threads from truss' past history again Sad some one do so us a favor Yahoo

tommyhearns

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 16 Mar 2011, 9:43 pm

azania wrote:Can someone explain why only the OP is showing on this thread even though it shows 7 replies?

Having issues at work with that Azania it does my head, asked admins they think it's something to do with the works firewall, can't see any new posts that people make for ages, is absolutely fine on laptop at home though, you don't happen to be working at this fine hour do you?
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 16 Mar 2011, 9:52 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
azania wrote:Can someone explain why only the OP is showing on this thread even though it shows 7 replies?

Having issues at work with that Azania it does my head, asked admins they think it's something to do with the works firewall, can't see any new posts that people make for ages, is absolutely fine on laptop at home though, you don't happen to be working at this fine hour do you?

I have to log in and out to see new posts whilst posting from work. I'm no techie so cant anser why. And no I'm not working. Just watchig Chelsea insult the game of football.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2011, 9:58 pm

Another classic Trussman. (Don't know why you don't specify The United States, as I am assuming you do not mean The Americas...including Latin America).
The United States is turning its back on boxing.Athletes are going to basketball if they are any good,and of course MMA, and the sports networks pulled the plug on reporting on Heavyweights cos they aren't from the United States.
Full respct like for Meldrick Taylor,

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:01 pm

etc.,..but them days are gone, bro.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Wed 16 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

As much as I dont like America, he is right.

Manny is a far better human being than Floyd, yet Floyd destroys him when it comes to PPV numbers. He generates more PPV numbers for the simple fact he is American.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:13 pm

Well hurry up and start producing good fighters and put boxing back on the map!!! Don't throw in the towel and start a new sport no one cares about when it gets tough (cough ufc).

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Wed 16 Mar 2011, 11:16 pm

America has a population of 300 million and is a wealthy nation in the world, they are always going to produce top talent in sports they compete in. But, other areas of the world churn out boxing stars as well, perhaps the sport is diversifying a bit. Mexico have the most world champioms at the moment and obviously its a strong period for Japan. A number of bantamweights and competitors from lower weight divisions are basing themselves in Japan these days (Nishioka, Uchyama ha ha).

No one needs to say that America has traditionally produced the largest proportion of ATG fighters. Still now, Ward, Bradley, Berto, Gurrero, Cloud, etc. But, I wouldn't say boxing needs America, there are about 206 other nations in the world. I dare say we will always see major stars from the US. If you look at the numbers of American fighters who are ranked professionally in almost any weight division, its a huge total. The local gyms are still popular in the US there is a significant pool of talent.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Thu 17 Mar 2011, 12:11 am

1. No
2. Yes
3. For the most part
4. Not really

There are tow ways of looking at this. First is a traditional one that supports the idea that America is the home of boxing and always will be.

The other is that in a more globalised world perhaps it is right to begin entertaining the idea that America need not neccessarily be the home of boxing.

The U.S may provide the big stage but they rely heavily on the Latin and Hispanic communities and the influx of these fighters especially in the lower weights.

The heavyweight division has been ripped away from the U.S. Partly because they have no good heavies themselves and partly because their domestic audience is not willing to embrace the new breed of Eastern European heavyweights. Thus it makes more sense for the heavyweight division to relocate to a place where there is interest in it.

I see no sign on the horizon of any U.S heavyweights coming through so the future of the division looks set to remain in Europe. This phenomonan could continue down to other divisions where European or Asian fighters dominate. Its already largely the case for the very low weight classes where the Asians produce most fighters.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 17 Mar 2011, 12:11 am

BoxingFan88 wrote:Well hurry up and start producing good fighters and put boxing back on the map!!! Don't throw in the towel and start a new sport no one cares about when it gets tough (cough ufc).

Brazilians will soon be dominating that.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2011, 12:24 pm

One thing the Americans could do to improve the state of World boxing would be to eliminate the likes of Bob Arum, especially if he still feels a disgraced ex-champion gatecrashing a post fight conference is what boxing needs to survive.

Stunts like that simply cheapen an already damaged sport and push it further towards WWE-style tackiness. What's next for Arum, women competing in bra and panties, bikini contests or pillow fights?

He's like one of those old comedians from the seventies who still feels racist jokes are acceptable and refuses to admit that he's so far behind the times it's embarrassing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 17 Mar 2011, 1:59 pm

DAVE667 wrote:One thing the Americans could do to improve the state of World boxing would be to eliminate the likes of Bob Arum, especially if he still feels a disgraced ex-champion gatecrashing a post fight conference is what boxing needs to survive.

Stunts like that simply cheapen an already damaged sport and push it further towards WWE-style tackiness. What's next for Arum, women competing in bra and panties, bikini contests or pillow fights?

He's like one of those old comedians from the seventies who still feels racist jokes are acceptable and refuses to admit that he's so far behind the times it's embarrassing!

Have to disagree. What is wrong with a boxer calling another out? Margarito has served his time and has the possibility to show the world that the accusations against him are false. I'd welcome a bit of WWE in the sport, it needs it. Right now it is pi55 poor
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2011, 2:05 pm

Margarito has served his time and has the possibility to show the world that the accusations against him are false
Erm, they're not though are they? He was accused of trying to cheat by using loaded handwraps and subsequently found guilty of this.

Had his plan suceeded there was every possibility that his opponent could have been badly injured (or as safe an infant in it's mother's arms if you listen to certain poster's opinions on the subject!) and I fail to see how he should be rewarded with another high profile fight against another man whose injuries during their previous contest gave rise to accusations of wrong doing.

Yes, give him his licence back but I don't think he should be allowed anywhere near a high profile title match ever again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 17 Mar 2011, 2:08 pm

He already has been. He's given Pacquiao his toughest fight since Marquez. Hatton, Clottey and Cotto were no where near as good as Margarito was. Can't think of anyone else in the division more qualified.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2011, 2:13 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:He already has been. He's given Pacquiao his toughest fight since Marquez. Hatton, Clottey and Cotto were no where near as good as Margarito was. Can't think of anyone else in the division more qualified.
I know, I just don't agree with it. Maybe I should qualify my statement and say ANOTHER high profile fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 17 Mar 2011, 2:18 pm

To be honest Im a massive Margarito fan, especially after the Pacquiao fight. One of the bravest performances i've seen.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2011, 2:32 pm

So you're hardly impartial then, Sean?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 17 Mar 2011, 2:37 pm

Wrote this article some days ago....

As for Arum he's no better or worse than anyother promoter..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

Set fire to the lot of 'em!

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Thu 17 Mar 2011, 11:28 pm

WHY AMERICAN DOMINANCE WOULD HELP BOXING!
ofc it would it would meen more press time more money and more interest think biggest thing affecting the sport at mo is a lack of interest inside america outsidein the hw scene
for ofc the right reasons beig as they havent got a hw of note( seen grant v someguy few days ago billed as giants ) guy at end saying its put grant in the mix of the hweights??? says it all realy
prob wrong usualy am hehe
mods this isnt rasist to hws plse dont delete/edit
(i love all fat americans) :run1:

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down