The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are there so few English posters on v2?

+13
Bathman_in_London
yappysnap
screamingaddabs
Ozzy3213
caoimhincentre
greybeard
TrailApe
nottins
bathmad
Cumbrian
Taffineastbourne
HammerofThunor
Portnoy
17 posters

Go down

Why are there so few English posters on v2? Empty Why are there so few English posters on v2?

Post by Portnoy Tue 30 Aug 2011, 4:22 pm

You'd expect that there would be an English dominance by sheer force of numbers.

But this isn't reflected on v2 where the debate is largely contributed by the Irish/Welsh posters.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Why are there so few English posters on v2? Empty Re: Why are there so few English posters on v2?

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 30 Aug 2011, 6:11 pm

Because we don't like to mingle with the riff-raff.

They let anyone join this site don't you know.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Why are there so few English posters on v2? Empty Re: Why are there so few English posters on v2?

Post by Guest Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:36 pm

Maybe the English preferred the old 606, as demonstrated by the vast number of English posters on the old site, as they prefer to WUM than to engage in intelligent rugby debate? This site is too 'nice' for them. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 30 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

Having gone over to the "dark side" many many years ago I can say that they are generally not interested.Even the members at junior club level are ill-informed,uninterested/disinterested.They function at their level which is fair enough.
The chairman of the local club was unaware of the level of Johnny Foreigners in the England team when I engaged him in banter at the weekend.He just wasnt interested.That is his right.He runs a damn good Rugby club but it is so removed from the ultimate level that neither cares about the other.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:08 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Having gone over to the "dark side" many many years ago I can say that they are generally not interested.Even the members at junior club level are ill-informed,uninterested/disinterested.They function at their level which is fair enough.
The chairman of the local club was unaware of the level of Johnny Foreigners in the England team when I engaged him in banter at the weekend.He just wasnt interested.That is his right.He runs a damn good Rugby club but it is so removed from the ultimate level that neither cares about the other.

I'll tell you for nothing, having been on the darker side (went to Uni in Wales) I’ve listened to a fair few misinformed Welsh rugby fans spout bum water in my time too.

Rugby in England is more localised, but you can’t simply generalise. There are plenty of English people out there who are passionate about the game and know their onions.

As for the English rugby fans in relation to this board, I imagine you’ll see more sign up when the season gets under way.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Tue 30 Aug 2011, 9:10 pm

Or if we win the World Cup. laughing
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:52 am

Too much tripe on here. Old 606 was organised into club and country sub-sections where debates could occur without mud slinging and insults flying.
Then there's the "anyone but the English" mentality...

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:03 am

I started posting on Scrum V before RWC 2003 and there were plenty of English posters. After winning RWC 2003 the Irish and Welsh WUMs started posting lots of anti English comments, so around 90, mostly English posters, joined a new forum especially set up for us. That one didn't last long, but Igloo 2 was set up and is still going strong(ish). We've met up a few times and even entered a side in the Fat Blokes Sevens in the previous 2 years.

As said by bathmad, there's also the, "anyone but the English mentality..."

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:43 am

I'm on here.

But there again, I'm not really English - I'm from Newcastle. Wink

TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:47 am

I have lived most of my life in England. Try as I might I don't hate the country or it's people. I'm such a disappointment to my people!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

there are loads of english posters. its like the rugby team though so really they are from different countries

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:04 am

I don't think there are less English posters on here, it just seems like there are more Irish as them boys can talk for the world Wink (you know who you are) Smile guinness Ale
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

Maybe it's all the digs at the English that drive them away Wink

I'm living in Glasgow so occasionally people on here think I'm Scottish, which can be amusing.

To be fair there is the ever present "your team is not English" jibe that gets flung around and does get very old very quickly, but I tend to just ignore that kind of thing now.

The problem is that because there are so few English posters, you have an article about England and it gets hijacked (often accidentally) by other nationalities who start talking about something else.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:07 am

caoimhincentre wrote:there are loads of english posters. its like the rugby team though so really they are from different countries

They have been drafted in. We call them 'project' posters. Wink
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

OK

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:45 am

Yea it's odd that there are so many Irish and Welsh posters on here.

I think the fact that that the Welsh all call themselves the same few poster names doesn't help eg WelshDave/Bill/Lewis/John/Graeme223413412442 there seems to be millions at times.

Also there's not many English topics that don't go off topic quick, usually due to a few posters.

Things'll pick up during the season.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:57 am

Plus all the Welsh and Irish are unemployed, so nothing better to do... thumbsup

(Just kidding!!)

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:09 pm

As an english poster I try and avoid the conversations that end up being
Wales vs England vs NZ etc, it can be a bit of banter in a real pub but on here it just means I move on to another thread.

Once the actual rugby starts again things will probably pick up though.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:04 pm

Maybe it’s because English posters are looked down on by their fellow rugby fans, the moment you defend your country you are accused of being arrogant and ill educated and the administrator often join in or are seen to side with the non English posters.

Until this is addressed then English posters will be turned away from this site which is a shame
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:Maybe it’s because English posters are looked down on by their fellow rugby fans, the moment you defend your country you are accused of being arrogant and ill educated and the administrator often join in or are seen to side with the non English posters.

Until this is addressed then English posters will be turned away from this site which is a shame

Any examples ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

Turned away from the site ? Are you not aware that you can put people on ignore.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:18 pm

How do you do that?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:How do you do that?

Profile.. Friends and Foes.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:21 pm

I think if England have a good WC we'll probably see a few more on here.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:41 pm

I would say there is a lack of English posters but coupled by the fact we Irish can talk for ever,any English thread gets kind of forgotten about. I'd say if you looked at the top posters on the site or even just the rugby section,a lot of them would be Irish!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

I used the term 'The Welsh' and got my wrist slapped by the ADMIN despite the other poster wumming untruths about the England rugby team which seemed to be allowed.

to be honest that really p eed me off
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

You put in a sensible OP an look what happens:

Re: If Wales beat South Africa on 11/9 they will overtake them in the IRB rankings.

Post by TBJ9625 Today at 2:57 pm
Well it's my birthday, and the wife has written to the team telling them that a Welsh win would be the perfect birthday present for me!!!!
On a seperate note, it it wrong to be drinking that early in the morning???? Laugh Ale

TBJ9625

View user profile Send private message

Back to top Go down

Report post to moderator or admin
Lock post for new reports

Re: If Wales beat South Africa on 11/9 they will overtake them in the IRB rankings.

Post by Carpe Diem Today at 3:00 pm
For the early morning games (all of them) my wife has told me i can drink if i'm still carrying on from the night before. Seeing as i haven't been able to do an all nighter since i was 30 it's tea and bacon butties for me i'm afraid.

Carpe Diem

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Today at 3:03 pm
I was only going to do it as my birthday and our first game clashed. I wasn't planning on all early games........................but I like the way your thinking lol Whistle

TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by luckless_pedestrian Today at 3:03 pm
Carpe Diem, what about if you have a nightcap before going to bed? Would a drink in the morning count as 'carrying on from the night before' then?

luckless_pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Today at 3:06 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:For the early morning games (all of them) my wife has told me i can drink if i'm still carrying on from the night before. Seeing as i haven't been able to do an all nighter since i was 30 it's tea and bacon butties for me i'm afraid.

Just tell her for the next 7 weeks you're on NZ time.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

New post by Carpe Diem Today at 3:08 pm
She's thought of that, i have to be up all night drinking at a fairly consistent pace. She's an evil genius but i love her! She knows i'll be too afraid of nodding off and missing the game entirely.

I might be able to 'Irish' up my coffee if she isn't looking though!

Carpe Diem

Seems that people of all nationalities are prepared to ride rough-shod over the debate and hijack them for whatever nefarious purpose they choose.

Nads innit?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down