The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xiang Robbed!

+5
billiethezwerg
skimpton
trickstat
ryanbailey
PerryGee
9 posters

Go down

Xiang Robbed! Empty Xiang Robbed!

Post by PerryGee Tue 30 Aug 2011, 11:59 pm

So Robles impedes Xiang who was clearly going to win and then they give the gold to Richardson. This seems incredibly unfair on Xiang. I understand that there was nothing that Richardson could have done about it but if Robles hadn't pulled Xiang back, he would have easily won. Is this not a case of running the race again (minus Robles), or should Richardson do the right thing and hand over his medal?

PerryGee

Back to top Go down

Xiang Robbed! Empty Re: Xiang Robbed!

Post by ryanbailey Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:39 am

lol... interesting point of view... idealism can't predict what would or could or should have happened. But i do understand what you are saying.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:44 am

While I think having a re-run is a slightly more satisfactory verdict, there is the chance that Xiang could make a hash of the re-run and end up with no medal at all.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by skimpton Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

Re-run is not acceptable.

By the time an appeal is heard you would probably have to run the race the next day.
What if an athlete picks up a bug or illness before the re-run?
What if an athlete picked up an injury during the original race managed to finish but was not able to compete in a re-run?
You could then be taking medals away from worthy winners who through no fault of their own cannot take part in a re-run.
A re-run the next day could affect a runner from taking a part in an additional event such as the relay.
If you did it for one event you would have to do it for others - re-run the marathon!
Then what if something else happens on the re-run, a second re-run, third? fourth?

Last edited by skimpton on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

skimpton

Back to top Go down

Post by billiethezwerg Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

I'm getting a feeling of what I like to call "Foinhaven effect".

Robles impedes Xiang, who looked like he would win, then gets disqualified. Assuming Xiang would have won then both Robles and Xiang would have been faster than Richardson who himself ran 13.16
David Oliver had a right mare. Aries Merrit under performed and Andy Turner who ran 13.44 ends up with bronze.

Get similar feeling for 100m
Powell and Gay out injured. Mullings & Rodgers suspended, Bolt false starts and Kim Collins gets a medal

Well at least no UK sprinters in the final brought back some sense of reality ;-)

billiethezwerg

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Wed 31 Aug 2011, 12:44 pm

But if Mullings hadn't been cheating, Gay wouldn't have been pushing so hard in training, and wouldn't have been injured. But he also wouldn't have been running so fast, which would have meant Powell felt like he didn't have so much to prove, so he'd have been fit too.

Thus we'd have had a Powell/Gay/Blake final, assuming that Bolt would have still false started.

If only Mullings hadn't been cheating... hey?

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:09 pm

Perhaps that would have been the final....if blood testing wasn't being used?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by billiethezwerg Wed 31 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

...... but then we would have had Powell, Gay and Bolt in the final in lanes 3, 4 and 5. Bolt doesn't false start and at 60m all 3 together but one of Bolts flailing arms catches Gay in the eye who falls over taking out Powell. Yohan Blake has to hurdle the prostrate Powell but in doing so steps outside his lane stepping on Lemaitres foot. Bolt and Blake DQ and ............. Jimmy Vicaut is World Champion in 10.82 ... Lemaitre hops to the line for bronze.

billiethezwerg

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:58 pm

Going back to the hurdles, what on earth is David Oliver's start meant to be? He just stood up out his blocks in the final and instantly lost about 2-3 meters on the rest.

Is it an injury problem as I don't remember his start being that bad, although admittedly it's never been his strength?

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzymiyagh1 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

No more re-runs please - there's enough of these on the tele as it is Tumbleweed

Izzymiyagh1

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:20 pm

I read something about him being encouraged to try to change his stride pattern to take just 7 strides to the first hurdle instead of 8 and it's screwing him up.

Or maybe he (like a number of others it seems) had to stop his 'training' a little early after one or two recent announcements? Whoever knows?

Where did Sanya Richards' form disappear to?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:02 pm

skimpton wrote:Re-run is not acceptable.

By the time an appeal is heard you would probably have to run the race the next day.
What if an athlete picks up a bug or illness before the re-run?
What if an athlete picked up an injury during the original race managed to finish but was not able to compete in a re-run?
You could then be taking medals away from worthy winners who through no fault of their own cannot take part in a re-run.
A re-run the next day could affect a runner from taking a part in an additional event such as the relay.
If you did it for one event you would have to do it for others - re-run the marathon!
Then what if something else happens on the re-run, a second re-run, third? fourth?

Many of these things would hopefully be considered before deciding on a re-run:

If the athlete who picked up the injury finished well down the field in the original race in a poor time then that shouldn't prevent a re-run while if he finished in the medals then I think it should.
Obviously the scheduling of the re-run should take into account any other events that any of the athletes are taking part in. I would have thought it possible that a re-run is ruled out because it is not possible to find a place in the time-table to run it.
I have never known a re-run to happen in any event other than sprint hurdles as that is where you are most likely to get a situation where it may be seen as necessary. In each instance in the original race an athlete fell and brought down an athlete in the adjoining lane, a very different scenario from what happened in Daegu.

If the original race has a "worthy winner" I don't think anybody would seriously consider a re-run. For instance, if the athlete in 7th place fell at the last hurdle and brought down the athlete in 8th I don't think there would be any likelihood of a re-run. I think in general re-runs are only considered when someone has been prevented from winning the race by an opponent. While this was the case in Daegu I think the main argument against a re-run is that Liu Xiang still got a silver medal.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:01 pm

lol... very good billy. very funny indeed.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down