The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blues - Season 2011 / 2012

5 posters

Go down

Blues - Season 2011 / 2012  Empty Blues - Season 2011 / 2012

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 pm

A review looking at Blues's chances in the new season. The biggest news has been the departure of Di Young. Good coach no doubt but in terms of selection and player acquisitions he has dropped the ball a few times. The biggest 2 failings in my eyes has been not signing a good running Fly Half & a top draw Tighthead. The Blues have some great players in their team and with the Backline they have available they really shouldn’t be failing to score tries. Truth is Parks & Filise haven’t been good enough. There are also question marks over Blair at the moment so I’m not sure if he will be leaving the Blues as well as they haven’t been paying him. They also have cut a lot of players in the off season in a bid to reduce the 5 million playing budget to 4 million. Shanklin’s enforced retirement was probably the biggest loss.

New players this season:-
None (That’s right – you heard me)

The loss of Fringe players in the off season won't affect the overall makeup of the starting team with the exception of Shanks. That said the team is ageing and with reducing the playing squad mounting a strong challenge in the league will be difficult. They have failed to address the key issue for them at Tighthead. Looking at opposition lineups some of the packs they will face in the League and HC are quality. I always feel they have a strong backline but sadly they lack ball carriers in the front 8 and the set pieces at times are poor. Dai leaving wont have helped stability but maybe a change will do them good to stop complancency. Maybe I am a little harsh on the Blues but I didnt think the squad was good enough last year and with no new recruitments I just dont see them bettering the rivals such as Leinster,Munster & Ospreys. May turn out to be a long season for the Blues.

So here is looking at a probable lineup:-

1. J. Yapp / S. Hobbs
2. R. Thomas
3. S. Andrews
4. D. Jones / J. Down
5. P. Tito
6. M. Paterson
7. M. Williams
8. A. Pretorius
9. R. Rees
10. C. Sweeney
11. T. James
12. G. Evans
13. C. Laulala
14. R. Mustoe
15. C. Czekaj / D. Fish

Looking at how the new coaches have been fielding sides this may be the likely lineup. Strength in this team is the backline with good pace and real power in there. Dai Young failed to select Sweeney often enough last year even though he linked really well with Laulala the season before that. They never replaced Robinson but Sweeney is underrated and I expect him to own the shirt by the end of the season. Is S. Andrews the answer at Tighthead? I have my doubts. Back Row is formidable but sadly in the front 5 its not looking to clever. I never rated Tito and the Blues are very short at Lock. I’m not convinced about Hooker either and Tighthead has been a real weakness as shown by Northampton in the HC last season. They should have recruited and cut loose some of the over the hill players like Rush, Molitika, Filise etc. Sadly they didn’t recruit at all.

Prediction – Originally I had these down to finish below the Dragons this year. But with Key international call ups for the Dragons (unexpected), I think they will finish above them. They will have to much for the Italian & Scottish sides and the Dragons as well. Higher than 7th I don’t see them reaching though. I also cant see them challenging in the HC either this year.

Last edited by Welshmushroom on Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Blues - Season 2011 / 2012  Empty Re: Blues - Season 2011 / 2012

Post by wales606 Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:04 pm

12 will be Dafydd Hewitt not Evans (unless hes injured?)

Otherwise thats about right.

At Lock, we saw Tito being phased out towards the end of last season (although that may change with Dai's departure they have kept Tito as captain - although Hewitt (LV cup), Warburton and Gethin are all possible captains.

James Downs has been looking good in the Preseason and may replace Tito and we also have McCauley Cook coming through and Bradley Davies to return.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:43 pm

Rush,Williams and a fair few others should be on their last seasons in terms of length of contract. If the Board are wise they will cut their losses and start investing in better youth development programs.

I'd suggest the following people have seen there best days:-

Filise - 34
D. Jones - 33
P. Tito - 33
M. Molitika - 37
M. Williams - 36
X. Rush - 34
D. Parks - 33
B. Blair - 32

Its no suprising that most players get injured a lot more after 30. Recovering takes longer too. I'm not saying clubs dont need to keep experience, they do but I'm guessing that experience comes at a Price tag and must be a fair % of the salary spent from the Blues. I'd rather see them invest in youngsters who still have goals to aim for or at least get some overseas replacements who are still at their peak.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:06 pm

Why is the second paragraph about the O's?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:06 am

Damn good point .... .editing mistakes continue...my bad Smile

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:13 am

Its been changed..... Its trying to publish 2 articles in a day. Had to get a move on as the season is about to start.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:07 am

The real problem for the Blues is how do they go about getting enough Welsh Players to fill the 23 matchday squad. The way I see it they need a 2,3,5,6,8 & 10 to become really compitive. But with Casey in the side and the Bonus relation I'm guessing only 2 Foreigners can be brought in (in order for them to make the WRU bonus). Sadly from a Dragons perspective I wonder how long we will hold on to our star names as the Blues always come calling at some point or another. This would be my pick:-

1. G. Jenkins
2. L. Burns (Dragons)
3. B. Mujati (Nothampton)
4. B. Davies
5. L. Charteris (Dragons)
6. D. Lydiate (Dragons)
7. S. Warburton
8. T. Faletau (Dragons)
9. R. Rees / L. Williams
10. C. Sweeney / J. Tovey (Dragons)
11. T. James
12. J. Roberts
13. C. Laulala
14. L. Halfpenny
15. D. Fish / C. Czekaj

And I'm guessing whatever it would take to get those guys to the Blues would probably be less than what the Blues are paying the 8 guys i listed above. The exception being Mujati but a top Tighthead will cost a fortune anyway. That said I couldnt see him going from Northampton to the Blues.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:00 am

Welshmushroom wrote:The real problem for the Blues is how do they go about getting enough Welsh Players to fill the 23 matchday squad. The way I see it they need a 2,3,5,6,8 & 10 to become really compitive. But with Casey in the side and the Bonus relation I'm guessing only 2 Foreigners can be brought in (in order for them to make the WRU bonus). Sadly from a Dragons perspective I wonder how long we will hold on to our star names as the Blues always come calling at some point or another. This would be my pick:-

1. G. Jenkins
2. L. Burns (Dragons)
3. B. Mujati (Nothampton)
4. B. Davies
5. L. Charteris (Dragons)
6. D. Lydiate (Dragons)
7. S. Warburton
8. T. Faletau (Dragons)
9. R. Rees / L. Williams
10. C. Sweeney / J. Tovey (Dragons)
11. T. James
12. J. Roberts
13. C. Laulala
14. L. Halfpenny
15. D. Fish / C. Czekaj

And I'm guessing whatever it would take to get those guys to the Blues would probably be less than what the Blues are paying the 8 guys i listed above. The exception being Mujati but a top Tighthead will cost a fortune anyway. That said I couldnt see him going from Northampton to the Blues.

I wouldnt have the Blues buy Lydiate, we have Pretorious who is our player of the season and become WQ in january playing at 6 - In many ways he is a better allrounder than Lydiate.

I also wouldnt want Burns, if we were to bring in a Hooker he should be a star player to replace Williams and TRThomas who are both poor level internationals/good club player - nothing specially, at the moment Burns would be no better (+ Kristian Dacey from Ponty has looked good for the Blues)

I also would bother with Charteris (who wouldnt leave the Dragons anyway) since we have Downs, Cook and the other U20 lock (???) on the books as well as Tito, Deniol, Paterson and Bradley Davies (when Rush is back, I imagine we will see Davies and Paterson in the second row - with Paterson and Pretorious contolling the lineout)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:27 pm

yea mushroom i agree with your argument that they may not match the likes of munster leinster and the o's however having watched their squad in pre season games a couple of young playes (downes and cook) imo will put their hand up for the blues this year

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:29 pm

How did Michael Paterson go last season? Do you think he will combine well with Pretorius and Williams this season?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Paterson is solid enough at 4/5/6, but hasnt shown anything special considering he came with a good reputation.

Hopefully he will improve with more gametime this year.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Maybe it will be better this season... first season to adjust to the NH style of play.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down