The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival?

+3
Solerina
Caf
steveo77
7 posters

Go down

Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival? Empty Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival?

Post by steveo77 Tue 22 Feb 2011, 2:23 pm

as we are just about 3 weeks away I just wondered where you all were going to watch the races?

are you going to the festival itself, watching on TV or going to be stuck at work?

ok for me I always take half the week off. So Wednesday lunchtime I am out of the door at work and will watch the rest on TV.
trouble is Tuesday which is often the best day of racing too! I havent worked out (yet) how I am going to watch/listen to the Champion Hurdle but I am sure I will find a way! :lol:

steveo77

Back to top Go down

Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival? Empty Re: Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival?

Post by Caf Tue 22 Feb 2011, 3:37 pm

I am not great at following the racing but nearly everyone else in the house
follows it. Cheltenham is always great excitement in the house, They will have dinner finished by 11.30am so the Father can do a study of the horses
. My brothers like to have a bet too , My sister works for a small trainer and
her husband works for racing Ireland In the turf club. But on Friday we are all going out for backing horses to the pub and then after its cards darts pool and then more drinking. So all in all its a great day and nite out.

So if you have any tips for me please pass them on as I know very little about them and normally go by what jockey is on the horse.

Anyway have a good one. looking forward to your tips.

Caf

Back to top Go down

Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival? Empty Re: Where does everyone watch the Cheltenham festival?

Post by Solerina Tue 22 Feb 2011, 4:17 pm

Good thread steveo.

I'll be watching from home, like I usually do.

I've booked a weeks holiday from work so I'll be able to watch all 4 days.

I'm hoping some of the members on here will be watching from home too so than we can chat on the forum to each other.

I've never been to the Festival.........I've never had anyone to go with but I don't mind as you see more on TV and I don't like crowds much anyway.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Tue 22 Feb 2011, 5:22 pm

Caf wrote:
Anyway have a good one. looking forward to your tips.

Thanks Caf.........it's always nice to see a new name posting on the racing forum.

Do drop by again...........hopefully we'll have some tips for you for Cheltenham : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by theenigmathatisTIDALBAY Wed 23 Feb 2011, 12:08 pm

this year i will be watching from home, ive been to the festival every year since 2006. will be back there next year im sure Very Happy

theenigmathatisTIDALBAY

Back to top Go down

Post by Caf Wed 23 Feb 2011, 2:12 pm

Hi Solerina,

just curious , why do you like horse racing?

Is it because you work with them or is just something you picked up from your parents.

Where my parents live is real horse country and I was born and raised in the Curragh but I never got the bug to
get in to them as all the rest of the family did except my mother.

A lot of my friends work with horses aswell. I do have one claim to fame I have a friend that looks after
"Sea the stars" and my wifes Uncle was over from the States and he was dying to see this horse. So he brought
us along to see the horse in guild town stud , very impressive place with stud fees of 85k not bad deal for the owners
and the horse.

Any way looking forward to you getting me some winners for Friday 18th and I will be able to impress the family.
No pressure.

Talk soon.

Sean

Caf

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Wed 23 Feb 2011, 7:42 pm

TV will be going with me to work come Festival week.Used to take the week off but this year im limiting myself to an early finish on Gold Cup day.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 23 Feb 2011, 8:12 pm

racingnut wrote:TV will be going with me to work come Festival week.Used to take the week off but this year im limiting myself to an early finish on Gold Cup day.

Hope you'll be able to log in here for some Festival chat, while you're at work, racingnut : )

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 23 Feb 2011, 8:50 pm

Caf wrote:Hi Solerina,

just curious , why do you like horse racing?

Is it because you work with them or is just something you picked up from your parents.

Hi Caf

I don't work with horses but I've owned them and ridden them most my life until a few years ago when my last horse died.
I haven't ridden since.......amazingly I don't miss it......I have other interests now.

I'm from a fairly horsey background but my parents weren't particularly interested in racing..... they sometimes watched it on TV but that was all....oh I remember a day out we had at Towcester......a horse died of a heart attack right in front of me.....I was about 10 years old.....not great.

I never had any interest in racing whatsoever until I was stuck at home recovering from an illness........Cheltenham was on TV so I thought I'd watch it for something to do........I'd never watched any racing until then.

It was the year Blowing Wind did the Imperial Cup/County Hurdle double.......I'd never heard of Martin Pipe or Tony McCoy.

I thought the whole thing was so exciting........I became instantly hooked.........I've been a big fan of AP since that day.

I followed jump racing avidly until the day Witchita Lineman died in the Irish National, this was after what seemed like a high number of other fatalities and I went right off the sport.

Anyway I've had a bit of a break and my old enthusiasm is returning.........I can't wait for Cheltenham.......I did watch it last year but this year I'm as excited as I ever was.

I've never had a bet in my life.............I just love racing for what it is.

There you go Caf........I bet you wished you'd never asked lol.

BTW I'm very impressed with your 'Sea the Stars' story......how lovely to have met him.

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanseadabber Wed 23 Feb 2011, 9:23 pm

Every year I book time off work especially for the Festival, its the best four days jump racing in the world, have been to Cheltenham for it 3 times brilliant and would recommend it to anybody.
This year my routine is newsagents at seven, home for breakfast with the Post til about eleven then hit the local to meet all the boys who also book hols.
Swanseadabber
Swanseadabber

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Wed 23 Feb 2011, 9:43 pm

Swanseadabber wrote:Every year I book time off work especially for the Festival, its the best four days jump racing in the world, have been to Cheltenham for it 3 times brilliant and would recommend it to anybody.
This year my routine is newsagents at seven, home for breakfast with the Post til about eleven then hit the local to meet all the boys who also book hols.

Hi Swanseadabber..........nice to see you posting on the racing forum.......hope you're going to be a regular : )

Be sure to tell your mates down the pub about 606v2 : )

Enjoy the Festival

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Grahame1971 Thu 24 Feb 2011, 10:44 am

I wouldn't miss being at the festival for anything ... I have to admit i'm like a little kid at Christmas this time of year as i get just a tad excited about my impending visit to Prestbury Park. I first went in 1994 and was hooked on the whole experience, that atmosphere, everything. I used to watch it every year and was a bookie for a while (office based not on course) but once i'd gone to the festival i was well and truly in love with the meeting. Usually go for two days, Tuesday & Friday and watch the other days at home (recovering from Tuesday !!!!) but this year i am going for all four days and staying in Bourton on the Water and cannot wait ..... excited ??? Just a bit !!! Smile

Grahame1971

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Sun 27 Feb 2011, 8:10 pm

As Cheltenham gets closer i can suddenly feel a bout of man flu might strike on or around March 15! In my last job i used to have Cheltenham and Royal Ascot off every year without fail,it only took them 14 years to twig Wink

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Sun 27 Feb 2011, 11:45 pm

racingnut wrote: In my last job i used to have Cheltenham and Royal Ascot off every year without fail,it only took them 14 years to twig Wink

ROFL!!

Solerina

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down