The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday

+2
boyhyde
sportform
6 posters

Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday Empty Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday

Post by sportform Wed 13 Mar 2013, 2:31 am

GOING: SOFT (Good to soft in places; GoingStick 6.0) (PRECAUTIONARY INSPECTION 8.00am) (The Chase and Hurdle courses have been covered)

Updates in green

1.30 JOHN OAKSEY NATIONAL HUNT CHASE (AMATEUR RIDERS´ NOVICES´ CHASE ) (CLASS 2) (5yo+)
Day two of the Festival gets under way with this four mile amateur riders novice chase. The Willie Mullins trained Back In Focus is favourite, is unbeatean in three chases and is and out-and-out stayers. Buddy Bolera is another unbeaten chaser who is improving. Godsmejodge form Alan King has performed well in softish conditions in his last two starts both over 3m+. Emperor's Choice has run up a three-timer for Venetia Williams, won over 3m4f latest and should stay. The preference here though goes to Emma Lavelle trained HIGHLAND LODGE who has won two of his five chases including a smart win over 3m2f at Cheltenham back in December.

Ratings Pick:- Rival D'Estruval

Emperor's Choce has been backed down in the opener from 16/1 into 10/1

2.05 NEPTUNE INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT NOVICES´ HURDLE (REGISTERED BARING BINGHAM NOVICES´ HURDLE) GRADE 1 (CLASS 1) (4yo+)
This race was won by yesterday's Arkle victor Simonsig last year and often throws up some promising types. Willie Mullins, successful in Tuesday's novice hurdle event with Champagne Fever runs Pont Alexandre who is unbeaten in two starts in Ireland since his move from France and has won easily both times. AP McCoy is aboard Taquin Du Seuil for Jonjo O'Neill. He has won three of his four starts including a Grade 1 event at Newbury last time out. He also ran My Tent Or Yours close last November. The New One for Nigel Twiston-Davies has some really good form beating My Tent Or Yours in a Grade 1 Bumper at Aintree's Grand National meeting and was a close second to At Fishers Point last time out. The one worry would be his sixth behind Champagne Fever in last year's Festival Bumper and whether or not he will 'get up the hill'. I like Rule The World who has won four of his five races including a Grade 2 novice hurdle at Naas last time. CHATTERBOX currently trading at around 10/1 has won twice for Barry Geraghty and Nicky Henderson this term including a 4l defeat of My Tent Or Yours which looks very good form now.

Ratings Pick:- Two Rockers

Puffin Billy and Sizing Gold are non runners

2.40 RSA CHASE (GRADE 1) (CLASS 1) (5yo+)
Ten go to post for this race with Boston Bob and Unioniste leading the betting. Boston Bob was second behind the ill-fated Brindisi Breeze in last year's Albert Bartlett Novices Hurdle so should stay but will need to improve on his two chase wins so far. Unioniste has won four out of his five chases for Paul Nicholls with arguably his best form coming in defeat to Dynaste at Cheltenham in November. On form through Dynaste and on their last runs there isn't much separating Unioniste and the Nicky Henderson trained Hadrian's Approach. Willie Mullins' other runner in the race is TERMINAL who has won twice over fences and has improved both times with a step up in distance, winning very authoritatively over three miles last time out. The Donald McCain runner Real Milan is unexposed and could run a big race at a big price. The worry would be his fall in his previous outing.

Ratings Pick:- Boston Bob

Terminal has been well backed. He is now 14/1 from 33/1 this morning.

3.20 SPORTINGBET QUEEN MOTHER CHAMPION CHASE GRADE 1 (CLASS 1) (5yo+)
SPRINTER SACRE is seven from seven over fences including last season's Arkle at the Festival. He has won both the Tingle Creek Chase and the Victor Chandler Chase very impressively this term but at 1/5 may not be worth backing for the small punter. Sizing Europe has done nothing wrong this year, won this in 2011, was second in this last year and is clearly the next best. Sanctuaire is 25/1 and could be a danger to Sizing Europe in the each way market.

Ratings Pick:- Sprinter Sacre

4.00 CORAL CUP (A HANDICAP HURDLE) GRADE 3 (CLASS 1) (4yo+)
28 runners go to post for the ultra-competitive Coral Cup and there is plenty of each way value so shop around. Abbey Lane for Willie Mullins and Ruby Walsh is currently favourite and is sure to be well backed. Pendra for AP McCoy has some very useful novice form and could be unexposed on his handicap debut. Un Beau Matin for Gordon Elliot has good bits of form behind Jezki and On His Own. He has already been nibbled at in the market and could be worth an early punt at around 16/1. Gordon Elliot's other charge Bondage has course and distance form but the handicapper may have got the better of him now. MEISTER ECKHART for Alan King ran well behind the ill-fated Brindisi Breeze and Boston Bob at the Festival last year and made a decent seasonal debut on his first run for his new yard. He will surely come on from that run and could run a big race.

Ratings Pick:- Pendra

4.40 FRED WINTER JUVENILE HANDICAP HURDLE GRADE 3 (CLASS 1) (4yo)
This looks a wide open race with Paul Nicholls' Saphir De Rheu leading the betting. KALMANN is making his debut for Willie Mullins in this race. Won well in France last time out and must have shown something at home to be running at Cheltenham.

Ratings Pick:- Pistol

5.15 WEATHERBYS CHAMPION BUMPER (A STANDARD OPEN NATIONAL HUNT FLAT RACE) GRADE 1 (CLASS 1) (4-6yo)
There is no hurdles or fences here but it is still one of my favourite Festival races. Another wide open race with plenty of decent looking prospects. Golantilla has won his two races impressively and looks to have plenty of ability. The combination of Mick Channon and Richard Hughes have to be respected with Sgt Reckless as should the Ballydoyle trained Shield. Willie Mullins has won this numerous times and has Union Dues, Sizing Tennessee and Briar Hill running. The latter is the mount of Ruby Walsh so the 16/1 about him won't last long. Another horse to back early if you fancy him is the David Pipe trained Vieux Lion Rouge who has been pick out in several newspapers for this race and is currently 33/1. The one I really like though is JOHNNY OG. He has only run once but forged clear of his rivals at Catterick in January and is 40/1.

Ratings Pick:- Vieux Lion Rouge

Johnny Og is a non runner.

Last edited by sportsville on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday Empty Re: Cheltenham Festival - Wednesday

Post by boyhyde Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:47 am

Well yesterday was a bit of a car crash so the only way is up...

A few I quite like the look of and have backed:

Chatterbox in the Neptune, largely based on beating My Tent or Yours. Do like the look of the New One but not sure about the track and also the stable aren't in the best form.
I think there are question marks over Boston Bob given last year's performance and he seems quite tricky to get right so have gone for Goulanes.
Sit back and watch the best 2 mile chaser I've seen in Sprinter Sacre - I think this is probably my favourite race of the week just the speed they travel and jump is breathtaking.
Most of my original fancies for the Coral Cup don't go, however, Pendra does so have sided with that one. Also had a little look at Cash and Go with the trainer/Jockey combo.
I've gone for a couple in the Fred Winter as struggling to split them - Bordoni for John Ferguson having heard quite a few people say they like his chances, having won on soft as well as over 1.5m and 2m on the flat. The other is Kalmann for Mullins who could be a good thing and not convinced he is 11 pounds worse than stable mate Blood Cotil.
Finally, having sharpened my pin, have gone for Blackmail in the bumper.

Fingers Crossed

boyhyde

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:15 am

Solid day yeasterday so hopeful of keeping it going.
1.30 A four mile novice chase for amateurs isnt exactly the betting highlight of the week but i place great stead in following the best riders if you must wager in these events,theres none better than Nina Carberry and shes sure to give TOFINO BAY ever assistance.Stays longer than the mother in law,does nothing quick but thats what you want here,at 10s hes worth the minimum ew stake.
2.05 Cracking renewal with a handful having leading claims.Pont Alexandre is short for what hes done,knocking over stiffs on bad ground is a world away form this test and at 6/4 hes easily passed over.THE NEW ONE is the one from the home defence for me.Solid bumper form last year and three nice wins this before he got out slogged on desperate ground here in January,this sounder surface and more patient tactics will see him in a different light and i take his change of gear from the last to be decisive.5s or bigger is a 24 carat ew wager.

2.40 This race is a war irrespective of ground conditions and this year will be no different.No hiding places here and not for the faint hearted.Boston Bob and Unioniste have solid claims but at 3s the pair surely the value lies elsewhere.HOUBLON DES OBEUAX will relish this test.Two early season wins have been followed by solid placed efforts,in particular his run behind Captain Conan at Sandown and his staying on second to Rocky Creek last time.He'll be plugging away when others have bottomed out and at 10s he has to be worth a minimum ew bet.

3.20 SPRINTER SACRE is the best around and could end up being one of the best ever.2/7 is a wonderful price,he should be 1/20.Just sit back and watch.

4.00 A punters nightmare but if staying away from the market leaders one that offers good value.CRACK AWAY JACK has had issues but he also has form of the highest order,some really solid efforts this season and with the ground drying and the handicapper putting him below the 150 mark then im willing to take a pop at him rekindling his old fire.33s or bigger to minimum ew stakes.

4.40 Another nightmare with a host having claims but a notebbok horse runs here in the shape of MILORD.Brought along quietly by Km Bailey he ran a race full of promise behind Chatterbox last time out,that got him his mark for this and on the bare form it doesnt look overbearing.Another minimum ew bet at 16s or bigger.

5.15 Not a race i would normally get invoved in and im not starting now but just for selection purposes i go for PURPLE BAY.Won nicely at Doncaster with the promise of better to come.Trainer and jockey combination arent ones for tilting at windmills so has to be respected.

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:27 am

AP on the radio this morning saying don't be fooled into thinking it is soft ground. He thinks it is Good to Soft, but more on the good side than the soft side
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 13 Mar 2013, 11:58 am

The 4 miler is a complete dog to pick a winner from censored

My money will be nowhere near that race, but I need to pick one for the tipster competition
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 13 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

BigFellasAfro wrote:The 4 miler is a complete dog to pick a winner from censored

My money will be nowhere near that race, but I need to pick one for the tipster competition

One thing I did spot was a rank outsider, Heathyard's Flyer had by far his best run to date in a 4m 1 race at Cheltenham, where I struggled to find anything else that is actually proven at this trip. He was 100/1, so I have put on 50p ew just in case Laugh
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:27 pm

Now that's how an odds on shot is meant to win.

Truly stunning.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Wed 13 Mar 2013, 3:29 pm

I am still speechless Shocked

Sizing Europe is a tremendous horse with a enviable win record and a superb record at Cheltenham.

And he has just destroyed him by 19 lengths without coming off the bridle. Not even Master Minded's win's were that convincing
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by racingnut Wed 13 Mar 2013, 5:58 pm

Had one of those horrible "nearly" days.Fair bet on THE NEW ONE,ew tickles on TOFINO BAY and MILORD but it was my placepot thats broken my heart.IF ERICHT had been fourth in the Coral instead of fifth i would have had it on 8 lines to 50p.It paid £343 to £1 dividend. Reckon thats £1300 gone West. Sad

racingnut

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Wed 13 Mar 2013, 6:12 pm

I've got no idea about horses but so far I've had £5 e/w on Rock On Ruby, Countrywide Flame, The New One, Chatterbox, Hadrian's Approach, Unioniste, Master Of The Sea, Totalize and The Liquidator. Five of those horses won me money. Call it beginners luck but I'm never this lucky when it comes to football.

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 13 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

Had a bit of a blinder today. Backed The New One thanks to racingnut and then Lord Windermere. Also had Ptit Zig and Gollantilla each way. Only loser of the day was Big Easy.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down