The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate?

+3
Clunge4life
Valero's Conscience
talkingpoint
7 posters

Go down

Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate? Empty Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate?

Post by talkingpoint Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:03 pm

Well since his UFC Rio victory UFC are going overboard with the whole Silva best P4P fighter in the world hyperbole. However it seems they are still very conscious of not wanting to offend GSP as he is constantly brought up along with Silva. Now GSP seems to be a classy sort of competitor who wouldn't get envious or jealous over the whole P4P debate but I've been wondering, do you think it gets under his skin? Do you think he gets annoyed at the praise the UFC heap on Silva or is he just happy for the man? Do you think he pays much attention to the P4P debate? Does he even think in terms of P4P when training or preparing for a fight? I seriously doubt GSP would ever fight Silva as there would be too much at stake for both fighter's reputations but is he flattered to be placed in Silva's league or just annoyed at constantly having to play second fiddle to Silva by the UFC hype machine?

Discuss. Smile

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate? Empty Re: Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate?

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:37 am

I think GSP definately thinks about it, any figter ranked highly would like to be no.1.

There is a large debate as to who is better but the style and fashion of how Silva finishes his opponents is far more impressive to watch than GSP.

Silva is 36 years old now and in the UFC has won all 14 fights, with only 2 going to decision.

In comparison, GSP has had 19 UFC fights, losing 2 and of his 17 wins, over 50% (9) have gone the distance.

GSP is currently dominant over his opponents like Silva (barring Sonnen) but the seeing a dominating 5 rounder is not as appealing as someone who consistently finishes his opponents in highlight reel worthy fashion, which the UFC love to promote so can understand them hyping him more.

Saying that, the UFC's opinion will change next time GSP is fighting in Canada!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate? Empty Re: Does GSP get annoyed at the P4P debate?

Post by Clunge4life Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:38 am

I think it does play on his mind a little........he has said in the past that when he retires he wants to be remembered as the greatest mixed martial artist of all time......

I do think that these two will fight eventually..........i just think therte is too much money to be made for both fighters and the UFC.

And for what its worth i think GSP would beat Silva if they ever fought

Clunge4life

Back to top Go down

Post by gibbo104 Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:57 am

GSP must think about it but weather he gets annoyed at people, especially Dana saying that Silva is number 1 p4p, I dunno about that. I think it would motivate him in the gym that there is still something to aim for but I don’t think it annoys him when Dana talks about Silva like he does.

GSP and Silva are both amazing fighters but I actually give GSP the number 1 p4p title as GSP has never been dominated like Silva was against Sonnen and has lost less fights. I also agree with Clunge4life that GSP wins that fight against Silva (via decision of course) with all that being said I would rather watch a Silva fight over a GSP fight any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

gibbo104

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:01 am

I don't actually think GSP would take the fight against Silva - one he gives away a lot of height 5'11 to 6'2, two he gives away weight (and I can't see either man bulking up or cutting down) and three if he loses all his wins, his title reigns etc will all be forgotten about and all people will remember is that he lost to Silva. I think history can be cruel to fighters. I think GSP at the end of his career will be happy to look back and say he was the best welterweight in the world, one of the most dominant UFC champions and arguably the best P4P fighter in the world. But I don't think he'd actually want to contest that last point. If he never fights Silva the debate will always carry on.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:38 am

I think Dana does go a bit ott regarding Silva being no 1. For me GSP is clearly the best fighter and has been my no1 pfp for a long time.

Dana jumps on the fact Anderson moved up in weight and beat two guy as the main reason he makes him no 1 but he never fought top top guys at LHW. If GSP went to middleweight and fought some guys who barely make the top 10 he too would win comfortably. There's a reason if GSP goes up in weight he will fight for the title right away, Anderson didn't.

In the interviews I've seen with GSP it seems pretty much guaranteed he will move up eventually.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 01 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Both Silva and GSP are intriguing fighters, almost anomalies in some respects - both are BJJ blackbelts but in GSP's last few fights he's been concentrating more on his boxing and wrestling and Silva clearly favours his stand up game. Now I know the truly great fighters will evolve and adapt and improve their overall game but imo with Silva's reach advantage over GSP I don't think GSP's boxing will connect - he won't be able to find his range for the stiff jab and I just hope being the experienced fighter he is that if he did attempt that and failed he would have the presence of mind and experience to switch tactics and turn to his BJJ. But I just can't see a Silva/GSP fight being stylistically a good fight to watch. Both men will be very cautious of the other, there will be a lot of faints and range finding, a lot of circling the octagon trying to cut off corners but I just don't see this one being exciting. It doesn't appear to be in GSP's nature to have an all out war with someone and Silva is just too accurate and quick to find himself in a slug fest. This would be a battle of who has the better technique.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by easthfc Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

I totally agree Talkingpoint. Most of GSPs wins are boring especially when he's up against highly skilled opposition and Anderson is the most skilled striker GSP would have faced. GSP is just too good in all other areas though imo.

My prediction would be GSP using his wrestling to control Silva over 5 rounds, maybe round 3 tko due to GNP but I can't envisage Anderson KO'ing GSP or taking a decision.

easthfc

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 02 Sep 2011, 8:47 am

Both are phenomenal; fighters and if they fight it will be the toughest fight of both guys careers but I think Silva will be too elusive for GSP and in addition with Silva's size, accuracy and power I can see a Silva TKO or more likely a UD due to GSP's safety first approach.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:20 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:Both are phenomenal; fighters and if they fight it will be the toughest fight of both guys careers but I think Silva will be too elusive for GSP and in addition with Silva's size, accuracy and power I can see a Silva TKO or more likely a UD due to GSP's safety first approach.

This is what I see happening too and I actually prefer GSP as a fighter.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

The only way to settle the debate is to make the fight happen. It was bought up after Silvas last fight to point to that, sooner or later the guys will have to fight each other.
Then we will know ( kind of )

I really like GSP as a guy, but both can be crushingly dull and "smart" as fighters.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:25 pm

With all the talk in media and yet another finish from Silva in his last fight, GSP knows he desperately needs to finish Condit.

I agree with Wheeler's post above, GSP comes across really nice outside the ring but can be awful in my opinion to watch!

Yeah you could argue that it's not his fault he's so dominant but you could argue that if he's so good and dominant at least try and finish the fight to0 please the fans and UFC but he's too safety first minded now.

I really hope they do fight but wouldn't be surprised if they never did.

I think GSP will be less willing than Silva to fight and I understand why.

GSP would have to move up to a weight he has never fought at and fight a guy much bigger than him who has dominated that division for years and who has shown he can mix it up at LHW as well!

Plus GSP knows Silva has the ability to finish a fight at any time which can't be said about GSP.

If they fought I would put it 70:30 in Silva's favour.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

to be fair to GSP he tried to finish hardy but hardy refused to tap to an incredibly painful looking arm lock and kimora. He also tried to finish Koscheck and even broke his orbital bone with his boxing but obviously didn't have the punch power to KO him. GSP doesn't just settle for UDs!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:41 pm

talkingpoint wrote:to be fair to GSP he tried to finish hardy but hardy refused to tap to an incredibly painful looking arm lock and kimora. He also tried to finish Koscheck and even broke his orbital bone with his boxing but obviously didn't have the punch power to KO him. GSP doesn't just settle for UDs!

I think he tries but is more safety minded than he used to be and is happy enough with the UD's as he hasn't taken a risk lately to change that.

He should have just broke Hardy's arm, if he refuses to tap he deserves what comes and with Koscheck, it was his jab which broke the bone so not due to intentions to knock him out and played it extremely safe in that fight.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

fair point he isn't an aggressive fighter, which is why some fans find him boring. His boxing against Koscheck was so crisp and his jabs were very stiff. Once Kos' eye had started to swell it obviously impeded him from fighting his fight and GSP easily dominated him. With Hardy he blamed his technique for not forcing him to tap - but that is GSP: he's a guy who fights clinically and tactically; he's a very cool headed fighter, who is also extremely analytical. Hardy showed true grit and determination in that fight and maybe GSP should have said "to hell with the consequences" but it's no longer in his nature. Of course GSP takes the UDs but I don't think he just fights for points and is happy when he gets the judges nod. Hopefully Condit will completely take him out of his comfort zone and force him to fight aggressively.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 09 Sep 2011, 2:35 pm

Agreed that Condit should take GSP out of his comfort zone as Condit won't sit back and follow GSP's game plan.

Let's hope it's competitive at least!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

Valero the thing about GSP is that he hasn't one game plan he and Greg Jackson are masters of throwing people off and doing something you didn't expect

GSP isn't a wrestler but many consider him one of the best when he comes to grappling and many wanted him to try qualifying for the Olympics, he has a desire to be better and while a fight between the 2 would be great to watch there will always be those in one camp rather than the other

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down