The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Donaire wants Gamboa.....

+7
The Galveston Giant
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
coxy0001
captain carrantuohil
Fists of Fury
TopHat24/7
11 posters

Go down

Donaire wants Gamboa..... Empty Donaire wants Gamboa.....

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

A lot of twitter chatter over the last 24hrs about this. The Filipino Flash is 'on record' as saying he'll move up in weight after the Navarez fight on Oct 22nd (an article/interview by Dennis Guillermo for the Filipino Sports Examiner) and has been re-tweeting everyone's posts about this potential, and now apparently likely, fight in 2012.

10 times more excited about this fight than Pac-PBF or any other fight out there right now.

I'm going to go against the grain a little here and say Gamboa to win by mid-late KO.

Thoughts? Predictions?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Donaire wants Gamboa..... Empty Re: Donaire wants Gamboa.....

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

I've been keeping an eye on this on Twitter, too. Donaire definitely seems up for it.

Personally I'd see Donaire coming through an absolute war, late KO.

Either way, I just hope it happens. Incredible matchup.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:26 pm

Think Gamboa will start favourite, just about, but will take Donaire's speed, variety and power to be just as effective at featherweight. Mid-rounds KO, but to the Filipino; completely agree that this is THE fight that I want to see.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:33 pm

Article doesn't really touch on Gamboa vs Donaire, but Arum would be up for it:

http://ringtv.craveonline.com/rumors/articles/168837-gamboas-future-could-include-donaire-salido-lopez-ii-winner-

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

Would be a wonderful, wonderful fight if it happens, and I certainly hope it does. The only imperfect issue is that Donaire is totally untested at 126 lb, or even 122 lb for that matter. A stepping stone bout against Nishioka may have been an idea, but then again I suppose it adds to the intrigue of the fight that one of them will be stepping in to unknown territory.

From the off I've backed Gamboa to take this, and I'm sticking with that, though it pretty much goes without saying that he'll need the best performance of his career. I expect Donaire to get the better of the early rounds, but I see the pace gradually building rather than slowing, with Gamboa eventually overwhelming the Filipino and stopping him somewhere around the ninth. But make no mistake, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Donaire pulled it off, either. Fingers crossed for this one, eh?

Manny and Floyd? Nope, never heard of 'em!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:44 pm

The key difference between this fight and the Manny and Floyd fight is timing...these two are well and truly at their peaks, in all probability, whereas I'd hazard a guess that either Manny or Floyd, potentially both, are past their best.

Get it on please Mr Arum, could be one for the ages.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Would be a wonderful, wonderful fight if it happens, and I certainly hope it does. The only imperfect issue is that Donaire is totally untested at 126 lb, or even 122 lb for that matter. A stepping stone bout against Nishioka may have been an idea, but then again I suppose it adds to the intrigue of the fight that one of them will be stepping in to unknown territory.

From the off I've backed Gamboa to take this, and I'm sticking with that, though it pretty much goes without saying that he'll need the best performance of his career. I expect Donaire to get the better of the early rounds, but I see the pace gradually building rather than slowing, with Gamboa eventually overwhelming the Filipino and stopping him somewhere around the ninth. But make no mistake, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Donaire pulled it off, either. Fingers crossed for this one, eh?

Manny and Floyd? Nope, never heard of 'em!

I think Donaire would benefit from a tune-up fight too, but the differences are so small down at these weights that it isn't really that big a jump up and Nishioka would be a tougher stepping stone/aclimatiser than I think is needed. Gamboa to dispose of PDL then Juanma early next year with hopefully a summer show-down with Donaire.......would LOVE to see it happen! Pity at such low weights I'm not sure how much coverage it'll get outside hardcore boxing fans if it does happen, might not even top the bill....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:51 pm

Get it on please Mr Arum

Never knew you thought that way about old Bob................

And regarding the fight, would back Gamboa over Donaire although i fear i could be changing my mind dependant on how they win their respective lead up fights.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:55 pm

Coxy, how on earth does your mind work??

I'd back Donaire but without any real conviction. Certainly a mid to late KO though.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:58 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Coxy, how on earth does your mind work??

I'd back Donaire but without any real conviction. Certainly a mid to late KO though.

You really don't want to know.

See i'm going to fall into the trap that i rate both equally, Gamboa is the bigger puncher and stronger guy at the weight than Donaire has proven to be so far (hence my initial comment about possibly changing who i'm betting on)... obviously because Nonito hasn't fought there. At present, if they fought each other next Gamboa would take him out in my opinion. Naturally if Donaire moves up and proves he has retained the power/hand speed my opinion might change etc

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:13 pm

It all seems to depend on how Donaire is at 126lbs. If he is just as strong and quick it's a 50-50 fight imo. If he isn't as good at 126lbs he will be in trouble against6 Gamboa who is capable of sparking him out or out boxing him to a wide UD.

I think Gamboa would win even if Donaire is as good at 126lbs as he is at 118lbs although I'm not saying this with any real conviction.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:51 pm

Another superfight, to tough to call for me, hope this one eventually gets made, be good for boxing.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:30 pm

Gamboa too big and too strong.

Gamboa dumped his belt because he knew on fight day he'd weigh over 136lbs.

It's not like the the weight disparity is levelled by a huge difference in speed or ability, so I think it's a case of a good big 'un beats a good little 'un.

I have been known to be wrong most of the time though. I could have sworn the world was flat.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:47 pm

Bob wrote:Gamboa too big and too strong.

It's not like the the weight disparity is levelled by a huge difference in speed or ability, so I think it's a case of a good big 'un beats a good little 'un.

I have been known to be wrong most of the time though. I could have sworn the world was flat.

You're not alone there, Bob. The Dutch, the East Anglians and Kylie Minogue's boyfriend think the same thing.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:52 pm

Gamboa wins this by late KO/TKO

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Wed 31 Aug 2011, 7:53 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
Bob wrote:Gamboa too big and too strong.

You're not alone there, Bob. The Dutch, the East Anglians and Kylie Minogue's boyfriend think the same thing.

I can tolerate many things Windy, but bismirching our Dear Kylie is not one of them.

I'd crawl across broken glass just to throw pebbles at one of her turds.

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:41 pm

Each to his own, mate.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:44 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:Each to his own, mate.

I was thinking the same thing. Id love to give Kylie a piece of the Steffan (I should be so lucky) but not quite sure on Bobs idea...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 31 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

They like tough love in Sheffield, Steffan.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Wed 31 Aug 2011, 9:19 pm

I'm going for Donaire by UD but its a hard fight to predict due to the explosiveness that both fighters possess.

Potential FOTY.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 31 Aug 2011, 10:51 pm

The more I think about this the more I favour Gamboa. Donaire is a great fighter but I think Gamboa is very special. The fact he's the bigger man as well makes me think it could be a bad night for Donaire because Gamboa can punch and will probably be the quickest and definitely the most skilful Donire has faced.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down