The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season?

4 posters

Go down

Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season? Empty Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season?

Post by talkingpoint Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:39 pm

So Arsenal have now confirmed they have made 3 new signings - striker Chu Young Park, left-back Andre Santos and defender Per Mertesacker. However after our disgraceful defeat to Man U and the worst start ever to a Premier League campaign, do we need to finish in the top 4 to save face this season? Liverpool went through a similar crisis last season but with new owners and Dalgleish at the helm they seem to have recovered and many think they are favourites this season to finish ahead of us. Can we claw our way back into a top 4 spot or is it still too early in the season to sound the alarm? Has Arsenal's fate already been sealed this season?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season? Empty Re: Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season?

Post by JDandfries Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:41 pm

The only saving grace is that it is only 3 games into the season, this implosion has been coming for a while.

See how you stand at the end of the day, I hear a scouse left back is on their way to you too and another midfielder, so all is not lost

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season? Empty Re: Do Arsenal need to secure a top 4 finish to save face this season?

Post by Comfort Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:46 pm

I dont think so, I think the 8 - 2 from Utd was what was needed in s strange way.

Its forced transfer action if nothing else.

Arsenal have the always been on the verge of being a great side again (like the unbeatables) but all they've missed is some steel/experience in certain positions.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

Everyone else can see it, so surely Wenger must have been able to aswell - you can only surmise from that, that he hasnt had the money to spend after all!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:51 pm

Don't think it's "forced" transfer action at all. These transfers were going to happen regardless. The Santos one at least has been a done deal for weeks apparently

I think there were (and maybe still are) deals in the pipeline and many were delayed or at least not announced until after Champs League qualification was assured. I don't believe that deals like this can be done from "cold" in such a short time. Any deals already done and any more completed before the deadline tonight will have been in the pipeline for days if not weeks. The Man U game had nothing to do with it. People are saying that these are last minute panic buys but I just don't believe that

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

I'm actually very excited about these new signings - we desperately needed another striker as Walcott and Arsharvin are too inconsistent and RVP is injury prone. The fact that he has captained his country also means he'll bring some leadership to the squad, which I think was lacking last season as Cesc's mind was on Barca. Mertesacker being 6'6 is just the physical presence we needed in defence and I'm sure being paired with Vermaelen will offer good protection to Szczesny, who has really impressed me since making the first team. I am positive that with these new signings we can start winning matches again but still I think there is going to be stiff competition for a top 4 finish this season.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down