The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause?

+6
talkingpoint
Kay Fabe
dublfcynwa
Josiah Maiestas
westisbest
sodhat
10 posters

Go down

Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause? Empty Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause?

Post by sodhat Thu 01 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

I have been reading this morning all the fall out from the transfer window and one thing that struck me is that Arteta accepted a 10k pay-cut to join Arsenal from Everton.

Now in this era of clubs being held to ransom for bumper new deals (Rooney, anyone?) I think this is admirable of Arteta, who clearly wants to progress in his career and puts this ahead of money. Obviously, he isn't on a pittance so I'm sure some people will be sceptical, but I think this shows good character and that for some it isn't all about fattening the bank account.

I would say that he is an excellent signing for Arsenal. For £10m it's a bargain, and for once they have bought someone not only with experience, but PREMIER LEAGUE experience.

So there you are, two reasons to applaud this deal for Arsenal fans and others!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause? Empty Re: Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause?

Post by westisbest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 1:56 pm

Good player Arteta.

Interesting to see how well he does at Arsenal.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause? Empty Re: Arteta to Arsenal -- a round of applause?

Post by Guest Thu 01 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

It's a win-win-win scenario for Arteta in all honesty.

Win - He'll walk straight into the first team without having to force his way in from the bench.

Win - He gets to play Champions League football which he thoroughly deserves.

And..

Win - The fact his salary and apparent slice in pay has been made public he looks like a rare good egg in a stinking omelette crammed with mercenaries!

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 01 Sep 2011, 5:31 pm

I just find it staggering Everton were able to pay 70k a week wages for him in the first place, it's no wonder they are always posting a loss!

With Baines and Jagielka being linked to other clubs, it's looking pretty dire if ur an everton fan Shocked
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Thu 01 Sep 2011, 6:20 pm

Good signing. I would amazed if he was on £70k a week at Everton but forgetting about all that he is a good signing for Arsenal and he's certainly better than what they had.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:24 pm

It's good to see Arsenal sign some experiance for a change, Arteta is a good player, Benayoun could be the long overdue replacement for Robert Pires, he's that type of player and Santos for me is a superb signing, great player, maybe not a World Class defender but very good going forward, Mertesacker is interesting, big strong and ugly, not got much pace but is a leader, anyone with 75 caps for Germany isn't a dud, those are 4 first team players who will better the team, for as good a players Nasri and Fabregas where, they won nothing so there's less pressure to replace them than many may think

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:37 pm

the-gaffer wrote:It's good to see Arsenal sign some experiance for a change, Arteta is a good player, Benayoun could be the long overdue replacement for Robert Pires, he's that type of player and Santos for me is a superb signing, great player, maybe not a World Class defender but very good going forward, Mertesacker is interesting, big strong and ugly, not got much pace but is a leader, anyone with 75 caps for Germany isn't a dud, those are 4 first team players who will better the team, for as good a players Nasri and Fabregas where, they won nothing so there's less pressure to replace them than many may think

completely agree we needed guys with PL experience and some strength and physical presence in the team. We have these with our new signings. I'm feeling very optimistic about trying to finish top 4 this season now. Very Happy

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 01 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

.....................................Konceilmy
Sagna...... Mertesacker..... Varmalean .....Santo

........................Wilshire.. Song.. Arteta
..................................................................Benayoun
......Gervinho................ Van Persie

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:10 pm

I think Benayoun is a more exciting signing than Arteta, I think Arteta is more of a replacement for Fabregas with Benayoun Nasri's replacement, and I think Nasri isn't actually much better than Benayoun, who before last year's big injury was one of the most underrated players in the Premier League.

Fair play to Arteta that he wanted to progress his career, it's just a shame it happened late on in the last day giving his old club no time to find any form of a replacement.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 01 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm

I doubt Everton would have bothered anyway, you can't fault Arteta, it must be murder being an Everton player knowing thay your unlikely to challenge for anything and each year, it gets harder and harder to make the top 7

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Tranquil Chaos Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:30 am

i think its more a case of him doing anything to get this big move before it goes away, im surprised arsenal went for him in all honesty, done nothing in an average everton side in the last 2 years
Tranquil Chaos
Tranquil Chaos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:21 am

Arteta for me is Arsenal's 3rd best signing behind Benayoun and Mertesacker. I've always admired Benayoun since his time at West Ham and think he'll provide a lot going forward, and as for Mertesacker, how long have we all said Arsenal need a steely centre back?

I thought an Arteta transfer was on the cards ever since the Kenwright conversation was leaked, but had gave up on the idea on deadline day because lack of activity.

Wasn't too bad a window for Everton, got rid of some high earners and perhaps will only miss Beckford. With a midfield of Bili, Rodwell, Cahill, Barkley, Fellaini, Osman and Drenthe they won't be short of options.

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:25 pm

Wasn't too bad a window for Everton, got rid of some high earners and perhaps will only miss Beckford.
Don't understand why he left to drop a league, thought Everton fans liked him after his decent start chin
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

A drop from 70k to 60k? I don't know how he's going to live on that sort of money Wink

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by dublfcynwa Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:51 pm

Everton did well getting what they did for Beckford. Not a prem standard striker IMO.
dublfcynwa
dublfcynwa

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:42 pm

It's hard to judge beckford being 'Premiership Standard' while playing for Everton, not many strikers look the part at Everton, I think he'll be a good 25 goals for Leicester this season, whether he can take that to the Premiership is a waiting game

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

dublfcynwa wrote:Everton did well getting what they did for Beckford. Not a prem standard striker IMO.
I think he is good enough to stay in the prem, the problem with him is he often gets into arguments with the management, pretty sure that's why Moyes has let him go rather than his skill level.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 03 Sep 2011, 5:59 pm

I'm not sure Moyes had much say in the matter when they got a £4m bid on the table, you have to wonder how long Moyes will want to keep living in groundhog day

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 03 Sep 2011, 6:02 pm

Moyes is such a good manager and honestly deserves to be at a much better club than Everton. He has shown how good is with what he has had to work with whilst at Everton and has brought through a few very talented youngsters whilst at the helm.

Does anyone think he could be in the frame to follow in Fergie's footsteps?

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 03 Sep 2011, 6:12 pm

I thought he should have been given the Chelsea job in the Summer, there has been big talk he could follow Fergie, I wouldn't rule it out, he has the same old school values

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 03 Sep 2011, 6:13 pm

That being said, I can see him going to Spurs when Redknapp takes over England next Summer

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by AberdeenSteve Sat 03 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

He is definitely destined to join a bigger club and be allowed to test himself on the European stage every season.

I can see it being more likely he'll go to Tottenham rather than United but never say never.

AberdeenSteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down