The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rounds of applause for Hatton

+8
Imperial Ghosty
ArchBritishchris
manos de piedra
88Chris05
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Scottrf
BALTIMORA
coxy0001
12 posters

Go down

Rounds of applause for Hatton  Empty Rounds of applause for Hatton

Post by coxy0001 Sun 06 Mar 2011, 10:06 pm

Rewatched the fight in the last hours or so vs Alvarez, now awake properly i'm still proud of how Hatton stuck to his guns against a much much bigger fighter who he acknowledged he had little chance in beating.

Yeah it was one sided, yeah he took a pasting but he didn't quit. And in today's day and age of guys just getting behind and not fancying it he took some hellacious shots and still got off his stool for each round.

Can begrudge the guy his chance for a title, can't knock him for refusing to give in cheaply though

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Rounds of applause for Hatton  Empty Re: Rounds of applause for Hatton

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 06 Mar 2011, 10:10 pm

Yeah, credit to him where it's due. Who's the WBC giving the belt to next week?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 06 Mar 2011, 10:12 pm

Chicken Balti

My money is they strip Alvarez and make it available for James Kirkland vs Roberto Duran...

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 06 Mar 2011, 10:16 pm

Wouldn't surprise me. I'd love to know what Alvarez thinks about the circumstances that have conspired to handily make him the youngest LMW 'world' champion to date. Very convenient, that.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sun 06 Mar 2011, 10:20 pm

And you know what, he actually outboxed him for large parts. But you could tell from 30 seconds in it would be like attacking a wall with a pea shooter. Alvarez would wait and reply with the bigger shots as each round went on and would back Hatton up, especially to the body.

I think Canelo expected the 'Magic' to fade, and take him out late but only once did his legs go and he didn't really look like being stopped. Credit to Hatton, got himself in great condition and didn't stop going for it, but Alvarez was just too big for him.

One important lesson from the bout: Alvarez has no intention of working on his defences. Forget him being only 20 - that's his style now, take 1 to land one. Will make for some exciting fights in the future though, Cotto would be a cracker.

Little disappointed the judges didn't give Hatton a round though, thought he won one around the 4th or 5th.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:00 pm

I've not seen the fight yet coxy, got it on my sky plus to watch at some point. I'm no fan of Matt hatton as a fighter and to be honest I thought he'd do well to last 6 rounds so was surprised to see it had gone the distance. If his performance was as gutsy as you say then fair play to him, you can't buy bottle and even if it was one sided he can hold his head higher than the likes of Ortiz and Alexander who've quit when the going got tough.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:02 pm

Scott

Agree completely. Hatton was in shape and he kept coming, got hurt umpteen times and just held on for dear life. As i said above, he gets kudos from me for not only surviving but having a go as well. Probs gave him 1 round but was just up against a better fighter who was also massively bigger than him, i thought he did himself proud and as a big underdog put up a fight and wasn't blown out inside 3 rounds etc.

Agree about Alvarez though, just not convinced about him. Cotto's brother had him in all sorts and he was a big blown up LW ffs! Still not convinced about his punching power either, doesn't appear to have the magic shot ie DLH left hook etc, think he's just another Hatton esque kinda puncher who'll break someone down rather than a one punch missile etc.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:06 pm

SBS

Yeah he stuck to it, got hurt a fair few times etc. Wasn't a great fight as he did spoil, but he still had a go for the full 12 even though (as Scott said) it was like trying to make a dent in a tank with a BB gun

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm

Credit to Hatton, he was always likely to be outgunned as a natural Welterweight facing a guy who will probably be at Middleweight by the end of his career, but he had a go which is more than can be said for some British fighters who have received world title shots out of the blue in recent times.

I scored it 118-109; thought Hatton nicked one of the mid rounds (can't remember off the top of my head which one, and obviousy there was the point deduction for Alvarez. I think we should give credit to him too, mind. A lot of people thought he'd look more spectacular but it's gritty performances against game opponents like this which are going to be a big part of his learning curve.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sun 06 Mar 2011, 11:37 pm

I think it was a survival mission for Hatton after the first couple of rounds and he knew that. By lasting the distance and sticking in there he will probably have done his reputation no harm and if he drops down to WW again he might find it easier to get a shot in the future after that.

I still dont really know what to make of Alvarez. On the one hand he won nearly every round and dominated Hatton but you have to consider Hatton was much the smaller and not really world class anyway. After 2 rounds I thought Alvarez would get rid of Hatton but perhaps the effort in making weight had taken a bit out of him?

Hes certainly impressive for a 20 year old but still not sure how would fare with an opponent who is a level up and isnt so badly outgunned.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Mon 07 Mar 2011, 12:55 pm

A considered, solid display from Alvarez, did what he needed to. Hatton stuck in their until the end, in this fight going the distance was probably an achievement. I'd say Alvarez is not undeserving of a title shot, he was highly ranked by rights. Beaten a couple of world champions, which many title contestants have not. A number of decent contenders and experienced fighters are also on his record. It was, bearing in mind his opponent primarily competes at WW, on the whole a comfortable fight to claim the title.

Angulo or Rhodes (Alvarez is probably glad he skipped Angulo) would be next in line and there is talk of a title elimination fight between the two. A fight between Alvarez and Angulo would be an interesting prospect. Will Rhodes plump for the contests against Angulo? He's been doing a Murray and Mitchell in hanging out at the top echelons without grasping hs title opportunity.

But, all credit to Hatton, he pobably could have nicked a 117-111 scorecared. I've noticed that Alvarez is a bit of a coaster, needs to up his game. He is a bit hittable, but he's done everything needed of him so far.

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:06 pm

Not really too sure how Alvarez is worthy of a title short Chris, he is after all ranked 10th in the division so there are 9 more worthy fighters

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:12 pm

imperialghosty wrote:Not really too sure how Alvarez is worthy of a title short Chris, he is after all ranked 10th in the division so there are 9 more worthy fighters
In one magazine's opinion. There are 4 belts, and each has a different top contender. He was #1 with the WBC.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:15 pm

I only take notice of what the Ring Magazine says, he's done nothing to be ranked higher than those above him, the WBC are a joke now so paying any attention to their rankings is pointless.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:20 pm

Regardless, there are 4 belts and so a top contender for each, and rankings for each. When you consider other factors such as timing, politics etc, there can't be much disgrace in anyone top 10 fighting for a belt.

Just in a quick look, Cintron has had chances in the past, Foreman only recently lost to Cotto and Dzinziruk is fighting Martinez.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:22 pm

You can say all these things but doesn't change the fact that it was a farce of a title fight

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:24 pm

Don't have any sympathy for Matthew, he was not good enough to challenge for world honours,he was Euro level and knew it,and he acknowledged the possibilty of losing beforehand,,which I don't really like and think it's a bit of a "No-no".
Then fighting this guy, who (as stated above)was a shoo-in from the WBC at a catchweight!Course he was going to get his bum served to him on a plate.What's wrong with fighters staying at Euro level, ie ., Fraudley, Ryan Rhodes. "Oh, I want to be fight the best,become a legend, want to pave a legacy" that's all portentious embarrasssing X-Factor stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:25 pm

But not because Alvarez wasn't good enough to fight for a belt, but his opponent and the weight stipulations.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:36 pm

I don't think Alvarez was good enough to fight for a title, he's heavily promoted by GBP and thusly gets special privileges, he beat nobody of note to get a title shot.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:36 pm

I was waiting for someone to congratulate him! Even though he got beat clearly he made the fight competitive and everytime he got hit he came back. He certainly showed alvarez is no world beater and you can tell what alvarez thought after he was so dissapointed he didn't knock him out. We always knew hatton was going to lose but in my opinion he did us proud, fought against the odds and his stock won't have dropped any, if anything it will have risen. Good job hatton!

Last edited by BoxingFan88 on Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:38 pm

I honestly think if hatton actually had a bit more pop he could have given alvarez problems. He was extremely easy to hit. The problem was hatton couldn't keep him off. I've heard some people saying alvarez should fight pacquiao! That would be a decimation!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:42 pm

Fair play to Hatton, but...

If you had a gun to your head and the only way you can walk away is to correctly bet on Rhodes v Hatton, who would your money be on?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:47 pm

Rhodes.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:51 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Fair play to Hatton, but...

If you had a gun to your head and the only way you can walk away is to correctly bet on Rhodes v Hatton, who would your money be on?

Is Hatton not going back down to 147 then?! Rhodes at 154 every day of the week though, Hatton's just too small for the weight and carrys as much pop as a baby swinging it's dummy round.

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:53 pm

Just a hypothetical question to highlight how ridiculous this was.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 1:57 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Just a hypothetical question to highlight how ridiculous this was.
Not close to Zaveck-Delgado for a title fight though a couple of weeks back. Delgado is a club fighter and would be lucky to break the top 100.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 07 Mar 2011, 2:04 pm

Its hard to measure Alvarez against that performance. Once fighter realises that his opponent cant hurt him and he can just walk through him the the whole dynamics of the fight change.

Alvarez could affard to get hit and not care and could afford to just try and punch a whole through Hatton ather than open him up. When you consider he may even had weight issues and that Hatton was just in survival mose then it makes it difficult to assess.

If I was Alvarez Id be disappointed not to secure the stoppage but in all honesty he looked like a guy in second or third gear the whole fight and had the luxury of being able to walk through Hatton who displayed a determinatio to hear the final bell.

Cant read too much into it overall.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ArchBritishchris Mon 07 Mar 2011, 2:11 pm

Alvarez was 35-0 before fighting for a title, thats not really taking an easy route. He has consistantly competed against opponents with competitive records in his last 20 or so fights. Shumenov was 9-0 when he first competed for the title and received a rematch. Fighters garner world title fights with far less experience. According to the Ring, Hatton is 22nd in the world at LMW. He also has tons of experience at WW, beaten a couple of former world champs.

Ok, Alvarez on paper got a more straight forward run in, its what he does now that counts. With all the quality at LMW, should be an interesting division over the next few years. If Alvarez wants to prove himself he needs to be in the thick of it.

How would the 606 contributers rank the following contestants and who would win in head to head match ups?

Saul Alvarez
Miguel Cotto
Alfred Angulo
Sergei Dzinziruk
Erislandy Lara
Kermit Cintron
Vanes Martirosyan
Antonio Margarito

ArchBritishchris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Mar 2011, 2:21 pm

Just to echo many of the sentiments on here re Matthew...I think he's more deserving of that tattoo Ricky has which reads, "Pride in battle"

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 3:12 pm

Looks to be meeting the Berto-Ortiz winner. Some worrying statements from Schaefer:

"We will make sure he becomes world welterweight champion."
“If the Matthew Hatton who performed like that turns up against any welter-weight in the world he will beat them"

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon 07 Mar 2011, 3:27 pm

Scottrf wrote:Looks to be meeting the Berto-Ortiz winner. Some worrying statements from Schaefer:

"We will make sure he becomes world welterweight champion."
“If the Matthew Hatton who performed like that turns up against any welter-weight in the world he will beat them"

Sounds rather ambitious, I must say congratulations to Matthew because I though he performed remarkably well like you mentioned Scott we had spells where Matthew outboxed Alvarez, would have been interested had he had a bit purchase on his punches, I think someone like Margarito or Cotto would out-gun Alvarez at this stage personally.

As for Welterweight, although he performed really well he did lose by a landslide, some decent matches at domestic level before considering another world title tilt, if he deals with Jennings, Watson, or Brook first and manages to get a win I'd have not real grumble at challenging one of the alphabet boys, but for him to get another crack without those really would be taking the biscuit.

Cheers

Rodders.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 07 Mar 2011, 4:47 pm

Shumenov may only have been 9-0 but he had more big fight experience than Alvarez did, who for the most part has fought complete nobodies.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon 07 Mar 2011, 5:13 pm

Sadly, I fail to see what there is to get excited about or applaud.

A fight that represents all that is wrong with boxing now. A fighter that is not world class even in his own weight fighting for a "world title" against a triumph of boxing politics and manufacturing.

Hasd Alvarez been given a shot against a world level Light Middle Weight (everything Hatton isnt) I may not have complained. But to be handed a belt in the most ridiculous of fashion having not even made the agreed upon weight to boot is a disgrace to the sport. Then again, his superior training, diet and evolution may have accounted for this.....

Forgive me if I am not three cheersing over this latest black eye to the sport.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 6:19 pm

Colonial Lion wrote:Sadly, I fail to see what there is to get excited about or applaud.
A guy and kept coming forward throwing punches, never got disheartened when they made no impression, took some big shots and gave a good account of himself. This thread is about Hatton, not the politics behind it. You don't need to make a comment about the proliferation of titles on every thread.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon 07 Mar 2011, 6:31 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Colonial Lion wrote:Sadly, I fail to see what there is to get excited about or applaud.
A guy and kept coming forward throwing punches, never got disheartened when they made no impression, took some big shots and gave a good account of himself. This thread is about Hatton, not the politics behind it. You don't need to make a comment about the proliferation of titles on every thread.

I disagree.

What this thread is about is finding positives where there are few. Effort and determination in the ring is the bare minimum of what should be expected, or has it got to the stage that a fighter who simply tries is now something to behold?

The bottom line is that a fighter who was undeserving of a shot took the opportunity with both hands - as anyone would expect. His mission was to survive and enhance his reputation. He acheived this to a degree even though he resorted twice to trying to get a point deducted in his favour by going down cheaply which I didnt like to see.

I have no problem with Hatton taking this golden opportunity. In fact I would not expect anything less. But I see no need to lionise what was an average fight between two fighters that scarcely deserved to be in there in the circumstances.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 07 Mar 2011, 6:38 pm

You've never heard of giving credit to the loser, or looking at the positives? I wouldn't expect any less but he will have raised his stock, there's no doubt about that. He did better than most expected, and gave it his all, you can't really ask much more. Plenty cut corners, lose heart etc but you can see he came in good condition and proved a lot of people wrong to even last the distance.

I fear you are in for years of talking about how bad boxing has become and how it has nothing on the olden days. We know it's not a real title fight but I find it very boring to keep moaning about not deserving it.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 07 Mar 2011, 6:41 pm

Haha, fair point, Colonel Lion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Mon 07 Mar 2011, 7:43 pm

Scottrf wrote:You've never heard of giving credit to the loser, or looking at the positives? I wouldn't expect any less but he will have raised his stock, there's no doubt about that. He did better than most expected, and gave it his all, you can't really ask much more. Plenty cut corners, lose heart etc but you can see he came in good condition and proved a lot of people wrong to even last the distance.

I fear you are in for years of talking about how bad boxing has become and how it has nothing on the olden days. We know it's not a real title fight but I find it very boring to keep moaning about not deserving it.

Well perhaps your expectations are different to mine. I would expect the bare minimum from Hatton who was gifted this title shot to come in well prepared, in shape and give it a 100%. I think its fair he did this for the most part against a relatively unproven, young fighter who outgunned him. But on the otherside he lost every round and was resorting to spoiling and looking for points deductions when the opportunity arose.

I dont feel its taking anything away from Hatton to simply acknowledge this and I dont think its neccessary to start making the fight out to be something it wasnt. It was a one sided fight between two guys who were lucky to be there. Hatton, if you want, gave a performance of high effort but little result.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down