The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The golfers' Music Room

+51
westisbest
1GrumpyGolfer
Adam D
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
MontysMerkin
puligny
Hibbz
pedro
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
Bob_the_Job
Aruglia
dynamark
barragan
thedamned3putt
NedB-H
incontinentia
Fader
Skydriver
Yadsendew
Marcus
liegerwoods
SpacemanSpiff
Mercurio
gaelgowfer
EmmDee57
JAS
Shotrock
tarka
beninho
Doc
SmithersJones
BlueCoverman
Nay
Noshankingtonite
oldshanker
Doon the Water
Faldono1fan
MustPuttBetter
Diggers
Lairdy
princedracula
drive4show
oldparwin
navyblueshorts
Maverick
McLaren
super_realist
kwinigolfer
Davie
55 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 17 Empty The golfers' Music Room

Post by Davie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mac started a really good thread today and while I'm not as fussy about things going off topic as some people, it does seem a shame to drown out Mac's thread with music chat - so I think we'll have a music corner for us golfers (in addition to the forum-wide music section)

I know Kwini is keen on his music, often throwing musical references into his ballwasher topics (I remember one of his last efforts on the old site being entitled The Boys Are Back In Town, and the conversation going off into Thin Lizzy territory!

S_R (on the other thread) made a reference to "hating the Beatles" - discuss! Whistle

Davie

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 17 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by Diggers Sat 01 Dec 2018, 3:47 pm

Plunky wrote:
Diggers wrote:The Stones may have written a few good songs but have written some absolute stinkers.
The Kinks may  have ...
The Who...
Hmm, look what happens when you stay together fir a long time. It’s just an opinion, it’s purely opinion as to what constitutes a stinker or indeed a good song.
In the court of popular opinion the Beatles clearly wrote a lot of good songs. There are probably 4 or 5 Beatles songs in my top 50, funnily enough most of them written by George Harrison.

Heard an interesting interview the other day -- Sean Lennon on Sirius radio's Beatles channel.  Sean's opinion was that george was the best songwriter in the group !

Well, Here Comes the Sun is probably my favourite song, certainly right up there, though I do marginally prefer the Nina Simone Version.
Something is probably in my top 5
While my Guitar Gently Weeps is around top 10, also really love My Sweet Lord (though try and avoid the religious connotation and just enjoy the melody)
Throw in Give me Love, Taxman, What is Life, Got My Mind Set On You (clearly not all Beatles song) and he's probably my favourite songwriter. Not saying that Lennon and McCartney didn't write some fantastic songs, but the ones I play over and over are the Harrison songs.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 01 Dec 2018, 5:10 pm

beninho wrote:I think music should be appreciated whether you like it or not. Pop music may not be your thing, but you should still be able to apprecit a good pop song, I stand by Dirty by Aguilera as a superb pop song, and Timberlake has produced sone great pop songs. To call it all rubbish is just narrow minded and closed.

Apart from jazz its pure sh#t.
And you were doing so well. Assume you're joking, but if not, suggest you go and listen to some of the greats. You, know, the sort of people with absolute mastery of their instrument(s) and have learnt their trade actually playing live, often with oodles of improvisation.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 01 Dec 2018, 5:34 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
beninho wrote:I think music should be appreciated whether you like it or not. Pop music may not be your thing, but you should still be able to apprecit a good pop song, I stand by Dirty by Aguilera as a superb pop song, and Timberlake has produced sone great pop songs. To call it all rubbish is just narrow minded and closed.

And you were doing so well. Assume you're joking, but if not, suggest you go and listen to some of the greats. You, know, the sort of people with absolute mastery of their instrument(s) and have learnt their trade actually playing live, often with oodles of improvisation.

I also struggle with jazz, worst experience was spending what felt like a very, very long night at Ronnie Scotts. Absolutely no doubting the talent of the guys playing, unbelievable ability, just all ends up sounding a bit samey to my (admittedly highly untrained) ear. I've also found that a lot of jazz fanatics I've met definitely fall into the music snob category, which is another turn off.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 01 Dec 2018, 10:28 pm

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

I also struggle with jazz, worst experience was spending what felt like a very, very long night at Ronnie Scotts. Absolutely no doubting the talent of the guys playing, unbelievable ability, just all ends up sounding a bit samey to my (admittedly highly untrained) ear. I've also found that a lot of jazz fanatics I've met definitely fall into the music snob category, which is another turn off.
Yeah, don't disagree and not sure it's a coincidence that you get parodies of the "Nice!" variety. My dad was a big jazz fan and it took me a while (and would never have told him), but some of the music/musicianship is awesome. I don't like the tendency for the musical masturbation that sometimes goes on, but people like Oscar Peterson, Ella Fitzgerald etc were outstanding.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 01 Dec 2018, 10:39 pm

Just to date me, I used to love quasi-jazz bands playing in big old London pubs, real Sultans Of Swing stuff.

(Would also say there's "musical masturbation" going on in almost every genre of music; most so-called "solos" at any rock concert can be self gratification of the worst kind - the best of course are fantastic.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 01 Dec 2018, 11:38 pm

Watched a movie about Billie Holliday. Waited till the end for him to show up.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 02 Dec 2018, 9:04 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Yes it was a joke, though I'm not sold on jazz at all, I can appreciate the skill of the musicians. Just looked at jazz24 top 100 songs. Checked out a few and take 5, sing sing sing I know and actually quite like. Sone of the other 13minute jazzathons not selling it to me. The girl from ipanema is also good.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 02 Dec 2018, 9:06 am

My sweet lord by George Harrison, is one of my favourite songs, though influenced by it being on the radio in the operating theatre as my son was being cut out the wife.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 03 Dec 2018, 7:28 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:Stated?

I presume you mean slated. I'm being perfectly reasonable here. When was the last time I slated anyone for their music tastes? Is this going to be like the racist accusation in that you can't provide an example?

Only this week I think you told me to stick to X Factor, thereby making an assumption somehow your taste is better than mine. By saying that One Direction are popular but rubbish you are obviously saying that whoever likes them has no taste...or somehow has inferior taste to you. You've said much worse, if you want to live in denial that you haven't then that's just something else to add to your litany of psychological issues.
I'm really not quite sure how many times I have to say this, I've never called you a racist (or said that you aren't), you are however patently a small minded bigot. I've said that often enough. Really, really, don't think I can put that in simpler terms.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that One Direction and X-Factor are purveyors of quality music? It's possibly the most cynical and soul-less form of entertainment, manufactured purely for exploitation and the fact that 99% of it disappears without trace within months of winning the dying show goes to show it isn't made for durability. It's fine if you like it, but it doesn't make it good (or bad), but it does mean I can laugh at you for being a fan of entertainment aimed squarely at children and it doesn't mean I can't call it rubbish. You seem to think that declaring something as rubbish is making an absolute claim on it. IT'S MY OPINION, just like it's your opinion that I'm a bigot, but unlike you, I'm not going to try to attempt to  deny you your opinion.

Are you actually trying to tell me you NEVER call something rubbish without first qualifying it as your opinion? You're a teacher for goodness sake, use some bloody context and employ some comprehension for a change.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 03 Dec 2018, 8:38 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

I presume you mean slated. I'm being perfectly reasonable here. When was the last time I slated anyone for their music tastes? Is this going to be like the racist accusation in that you can't provide an example?

Only this week I think you told me to stick to X Factor, thereby making an assumption somehow your taste is better than mine. By saying that One Direction are popular but rubbish you are obviously saying that whoever likes them has no taste...or somehow has inferior taste to you. You've said much worse, if you want to live in denial that you haven't then that's just something else to add to your litany of psychological issues.
I'm really not quite sure how many times I have to say this, I've never called you a racist (or said that you aren't), you are however patently a small minded bigot. I've said that often enough. Really, really, don't think I can put that in simpler terms.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that One Direction and X-Factor are purveyors of quality music? It's possibly the most cynical and soul-less form of entertainment, manufactured purely for exploitation and the fact that 99% of it disappears without trace within months of winning the dying show goes to show it isn't made for durability. It's fine if you like it, but it doesn't make it good (or bad), but it does mean I can laugh at you for being a fan of entertainment aimed squarely at children and it doesn't mean I can't call it rubbish. You seem to think that declaring something as rubbish is making an absolute claim on it. IT'S MY OPINION, just like it's your opinion that I'm a bigot, but unlike you, I'm not going to try to attempt to  deny you your opinion.

Are you actually trying to tell me you NEVER call something rubbish without first qualifying it as your opinion? You're a teacher for goodness sake, use some bloody context and employ some comprehension for a change.

I'm not telling you they are purveyors of quality music, that's kind of the point.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 03 Dec 2018, 9:35 am

Regardless, “quality” is subjective. It has to do with your expectations.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:21 am

One Direction and Ed Sheehan are objectively utter pish.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:51 am

McLaren wrote:One Direction and Ed Sheehan are objectively utter pish.
10s, if not 100s, of millions disagree with you.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:54 am

They are wrong and don't understand what makes for good music.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 03 Dec 2018, 1:05 pm

Who bizarrely give musical pleasure to millions of people. I suppose they should be shot for that heinous crime.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 03 Dec 2018, 1:39 pm

Diggers wrote:

Who bizarrely give musical pleasure to millions of people. I suppose they should be shot for that heinous crime.

At this point is it not obvious that the masses are total morons?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 03 Dec 2018, 3:14 pm

McLaren wrote:
Diggers wrote:

In this instance, not really.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 04 Dec 2018, 7:06 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

I'm not telling you they are purveyors of quality music, that's kind of the point.

So if I call it rubbish, what's your problem? Honestly, you round round terms like Bigot and Racist as accusations, but can't take someone having a laugh at your choice in music.
Plenty people have had a go at mine, I'm not crying about it. Why are you?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 04 Dec 2018, 8:18 am

McLaren wrote:They are wrong and don't understand what makes for good music.

ha ha. Cap doffed. clap clap

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 04 Dec 2018, 8:34 am

In other musical news - I am quite possibly an example of exactly the sort of cr@p attitude that I would probably slag off to death on this very thread.

"Oh such and such has sold out, their stuff is just dirge. However, their early stuff was, like really good yah, it's just tailed off now they've become popular"

Ladies and gentlemen - I give you Ed Sheeran, or more specifically almost exactly my attitude to Ed Sheeran.

I have +. It's very good. I dislike his current stuff.

Not because he's "sold out", probably mostly because I'm a bit of a hypocritical tw@t.

I also liked the old John Lewis ads, but now they're just crowd pleasing sell-offs.

And the space race, that's just a bit sh1t now.

And phones.

Bah. Humbug.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 04 Dec 2018, 9:00 am

McLaren wrote:
Diggers wrote:

Nope. There's only the one obvious from where I'm currently sat.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 04 Dec 2018, 9:21 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

So if I call it rubbish, what's your problem? Honestly, you round round terms like Bigot and Racist as accusations, but can't take someone having a laugh at your choice in music.

You do love the idea of being called a racist don't you. Take a look back on this thread about who keeps bringing the idea back...interesting.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 04 Dec 2018, 9:28 am

I’ve decided there should be no such thing as a guilty pleasure, if you enjoy it, just enjoy it. Especially when it’s something as utterly subjective as pop music.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 05 Dec 2018, 7:46 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

You do love the idea of being called a racist don't you. Take a look back on this thread about who keeps bringing the idea back...interesting.

No, I just like exposing your lack of an argument. You've never demonstrated racism from me, yet make accusations. It's basically like calling me "poo-bum".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 05 Dec 2018, 11:03 am

I'm pretty sure diggers has made it clear he has not called you racist. He gas also made it clear he doesn't know if you are or aren't racist, I would guess basically because he doesn't know who you are! Get over yourself.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 05 Dec 2018, 1:12 pm

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

No, I just like exposing your lack of an argument. You've never demonstrated racism from me, yet make accusations. It's basically like calling me "poo-bum".

I'd be more bothered about the fact that I have called you a bigot rather than I haven't called you a racist. Maybe that's a badge you wear with pride.
I think my only input into the whole Diane Abbot debate was to say I think she's probably an infinitely better person than you.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 05 Dec 2018, 1:35 pm

There are many things we don’t know if you are either.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 06 Dec 2018, 7:59 am

Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

I'd be more bothered about the fact that I have called you a bigot rather than I haven't called you a racist. Maybe that's a badge you wear with pride.
I think my only input into the whole Diane Abbot debate was to say I think she's probably an infinitely better person than you.

The use of the word "bigot" is as poorly used as the word "literally" and "legend".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 06 Dec 2018, 8:32 am

super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:
super_realist wrote:
Diggers wrote:

The use of the word "bigot" is as poorly used as the word "literally" and "legend".

This from the man who still thinks charisma and personality are the same thing. The use of the word bigot to describe you is absolutely correct.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 06 Dec 2018, 10:57 pm

RIP Pete Shelley gone at 63. The Buzzcocks 'Ever Fallen in Love with Someone' one of my all time favourite tracks and perhaps the best punk love song ever?

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:02 am

Now they were a proper band.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:13 am

BlueCoverman wrote:RIP Pete Shelley gone at 63. The Buzzcocks 'Ever Fallen in Love with Someone' one of my all time favourite tracks and perhaps the best punk love song ever?

Certainly up there, a song many a teenager, boy or girl, could relate to.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 07 Dec 2018, 8:34 am

Orgasm Addict was the story of Mac's life.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 10 Dec 2018, 5:04 pm

Re Pete Shelley, great shame, one of the few bands I never got to see live that I wanted to. Agree about Ever fallen in Love somehow manages to sound late 70s but also timeless as well.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:53 pm

BBC's 'Football Focus' was quite cool on Saturday. Nothing stated about Shelley, but Ever Fallen in Love playing in the background when they ran through the upcoming material they were going to have on.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 12 Dec 2018, 8:12 pm

The mention of football focus made me think of the goal of the month music, which was life of riley, a great song. Anyway, I also found this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mHn7qR0IpN8

Yeboah!!!!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 25 Feb 2019, 11:44 pm

Curse of the 606v2 music room strikes again! This time "Talk Talk's" Mark Hollis. Too young for nowadays. One of the best bass lines ever recorded
https://youtu.be/5ixRWvrkUHo

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Feb 2019, 11:59 am

Be_the_ball wrote:Curse of the 606v2 music room strikes again! This time "Talk Talk's" Mark Hollis. Too young for nowadays. One of the best bass lines ever recorded
https://youtu.be/5ixRWvrkUHo
Talk Talk were a guilty secret of mine (as a metalhead), but they did some great stuff.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Feb 2019, 1:55 pm

They even played a Talk Talk track on my local station in tribute - possibly the first time ever.

What did y'all think of the Bohemian Rhapsody film?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Feb 2019, 2:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:They even played a Talk Talk track on my local station in tribute - possibly the first time ever.

Not seen it yet, unfortunately. Probably get around to it at some point. Saw Queen twice and Mercury was born to be on a live stage - anyone know if the film does him/them justice?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 26 Feb 2019, 3:10 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:

Not seen it yet, unfortunately. Probably get around to it at some point. Saw Queen twice and Mercury was born to be on a live stage - anyone know if the film does him/them justice?

I thought it did, a pretty good celebration of Freddie. And making it pretty apparent that BM, RT & JD were the proverbial "adults in the room", while also making it obvious that it was Freddie who set them apart.
Enhanced by lots of film clips including a good part of their Live Aid set. Don't think any normal follower will learn anything new, but definitely entertaining.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 26 Feb 2019, 3:31 pm

Very entertaining in my opinion - I loved it. Dedicated fans will notice a few mistakes in the time line of some events or singles, but I'm sure it was done for artistic reasons rather than just a gaffe. The live aid scenes were incredible with the pretty-much-invisible mixing of real footage from Wembley on the day, seamlessly morphing into the actors on stage

I've heard mixed opinions on the portrayal of Freddy's sexuality - people of "a certain age" (and no Mac, I'm not talking outright homophobia) may find a couple of scenes a little uncomfortable; on the other hand I've heard the younger generation commenting that they didn't portray his sexuality strongly enough and that if they had explored it even more it might make more younger people confused about their own sexuality, be more forthcoming about it. Horses for courses I expect

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Tue 26 Feb 2019, 4:48 pm

Being a big Queen fan in the day, I enjoyed it. Comments re timeline as per Davie. If you bother to read the credits you will work out how they created the Live Aid scenes. Over a hundred (?) people doing the digital manipulation. Thought the lookie-likey of the rest of the band was good especially the stage mannerisms.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Feb 2019, 5:05 pm

Cheers OK. Will have to check it out.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 04 Mar 2019, 7:34 pm

Rip Keith Flint I used to and still do love the prodigy. Some absolute bangers.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 05 Mar 2019, 8:37 am

beninho wrote:Rip Keith Flint I used to and still do love the prodigy. Some absolute bangers.

Hear hear.

Not sure if we should change the name of the thread to the dead poets society or something equivalent though.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 05 Mar 2019, 11:28 am

Not my cup of tea really, but they did some standout stuff. Innovators as well. 49 is not a lot of years and sounds like it was a suicide as well - have to wonder at the lows people reach to feel this is the only solution.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 12 Oct 2019, 3:03 pm

My favourite radio programme just played an epic 15-minute drum solo from G.Baker - I'm exhausted, but wanted to revive this thread.

Plus: Went to see Rhiannon Gidddens a week or so ago. Great show - powerful woman! Brilliant.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 12 Oct 2019, 3:52 pm

Always worth reviving this thread but, good though he was, and a great loss, I don't think I could stomach a 15 minute drum solo by anyone!

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 12 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

It's funny how this page isn't really about music, it's more of a musicians obituary.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next