The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really???

+3
Valero's Conscience
Steffan
School Project
7 posters

Go down

Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really??? Empty Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really???

Post by School Project Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Forgive me if I'm mistaken or if this was brought up recently... but is Povetkin ACTUALLY FIGHTING Holyfield??

I read it on Wikipedia, not the most trusted of sources but this is getting over the top if its true. Have the WBA got no one else for Povetkin to fight?

Holyfield is like a stubborn turd, refuses to go away...

School Project

Back to top Go down

Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really??? Empty Re: Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really???

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Says on boxrec the fight is on. 17th of December

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really??? Empty Re: Povetkin vs. Holyfield... really???

Post by School Project Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:29 am

Wasn't sure if it was just speculation, I only had limited net access yesterday on my phone. Has there been any official word on it Stef?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:35 am

School Project wrote:Wasn't sure if it was just speculation, I only had limited net access yesterday on my phone. Has there been any official word on it Stef?

I don't think officially but the sites talk about it like it's a done deal.

I guess the honourable WBA thinks that Holyfield is the best contender for Povetkin?!?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:06 am

I suppose they could have brought the mighty John Ruiz out of retirement? Haha. Jokes aside though, this is getting a bit embarrassing for boxing. No doubt Holyfield us in tremendous shape for a 74 year old man, but his brain must be starting to look like mash potato.

Atlas and Povetkin should be ashamed for letting this fight go ahead aswell.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:11 am

It will be intersting to see what Atlas says about this because he has been quite vocal with his feeling that Holyfield should retire.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:16 pm

im not actually that critical of this fight. even though povetkin won the WBA belt, he isnt a real world champion, he is a very promising up and comer, who an old vetran should give him a few things to think about. he only has 3-4 decent wins on his CV and this fight will teach him something (as long as he doesnt KO him in the 1st round). its holyfields decision to keep fighting and is a seperate issue, if he wants to fight its not povetkins or his trainers responsibilty to persuade him otherwise. im glad he isnt been allowed to be pressured into a fight with wlad before he's ready. its also good to see him getting another fight arranged so soon after his last fight, most boxers today go quiet for at least a month or so after a fight, which is very frustating.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:29 pm

If this is true it makes me sick. Povetkin and his handlers are the biggest sc** in boxing. Would love to see Holyfield spark out this Wlad dodging coward! Go Evander!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:38 pm

I thought Holyfield had lost his boxing licence due to the fact that he is clearly brain damaged.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Super D Boon wrote:If this is true it makes me sick. Povetkin and his handlers are the biggest sc** in boxing. Would love to see Holyfield spark out this Wlad dodging coward! Go Evander!

why? apart from chagaev, chambers, byrd and firtha who else has povetkin beat? just because wlad is struggling for opponents why should he be forced into a fight with the most dominant force in the heavyweight division since lennox? he needs at least 7-8 fights before he is ready, and a few more names of his CV. i think he is been handled well, and applaud teddy atlas for not bowing to the pressure and building his fighter up steadily. povetkin could be the best heavyweight in the division, so long as he is not thrown into the lions whilst he is still green. will conceed that he shouldnt be WBA champion, but neither should maidana, but dont here him been slaughtered.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:12 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
Super D Boon wrote:If this is true it makes me sick. Povetkin and his handlers are the biggest sc** in boxing. Would love to see Holyfield spark out this Wlad dodging coward! Go Evander!

why? apart from chagaev, chambers, byrd and firtha who else has povetkin beat? just because wlad is struggling for opponents why should he be forced into a fight with the most dominant force in the heavyweight division since lennox? he needs at least 7-8 fights before he is ready, and a few more names of his CV. i think he is been handled well, and applaud teddy atlas for not bowing to the pressure and building his fighter up steadily. povetkin could be the best heavyweight in the division, so long as he is not thrown into the lions whilst he is still green. will conceed that he shouldnt be WBA champion, but neither should maidana, but dont here him been slaughtered.

Can't stand Maidana or Mundine or Balzay - all current/former WBA "regular" champions. Mundine has an ego the size of a planet and yet he was NEVER a world champion, can't stand that guy. The fact Povetkin has defended himself ie. " a world champion is a world champion" quote when he should have just shut up adds to the rubbish. Povetkin, certainly judging by his fattness and his performance over a shopworn chagaev will never be ready for Wlad so he'll defend his bacofoil belt for many years and hope and pray for a Klitschko retirement.

It would just help massively if the TV companies refused to buy these fights and media outlets refused to give Povetkin any recognition for being a world champion. If this happened the WBA would stop with this rubbish of having two champs per weight class. I recognise poor Audley as more of a world champion than Povetkin. At least Aud was THE MAN with his dodgy belt unlike Povetkin who isn't!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:25 pm

i cannot see reasoning for having harrison as more of a world champion than povetkin? who exactly did he beat to earn that right? maidana, barros, povetkin and a lot more have all been in the same situation, i think you need to aim your frustration/anger at the WBA not the individual boxers, its a competitive world which there all trying to earn a living, and a belt whether regular, super, silver, international or whatever else is just a tool to get more recognition, tv time and as a bargining tool for better fights. the situation is down to the greedy governing bodys and nobody else. and i still maintain that povetkin is a decent prospect who over the next 2-3 years will continue to improve and impress.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Super D Boon wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:

Can't stand Maidana or Mundine or Balzay - all current/former WBA "regular" champions. Mundine has an ego the size of a planet and yet he was NEVER a world champion, can't stand that guy. The fact Povetkin has defended himself ie. " a world champion is a world champion" quote when he should have just shut up adds to the rubbish. Povetkin, certainly judging by his fattness and his performance over a shopworn chagaev will never be ready for Wlad so he'll defend his bacofoil belt for many years and hope and pray for a Klitschko retirement.

It would just help massively if the TV companies refused to buy these fights and media outlets refused to give Povetkin any recognition for being a world champion. If this happened the WBA would stop with this rubbish of having two champs per weight class. I recognise poor Audley as more of a world champion than Povetkin. At least Aud was THE MAN with his dodgy belt unlike Povetkin who isn't!

Really what was it Audrey held a WBF or WBU belt? Povetkin got offered the fight and a good pay day. He might not like the way his first World title has come around but it was a decent pay day for him and makes him more marketable. Like it or not the crazy amount of belts are here to stay. It's only going to get worse.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Really what was it Audrey held a WBF or WBU belt? Povetkin got offered the fight and a good pay day. He might not like the way his first World title has come around but it was a decent pay day for him and makes him more marketable. Like it or not the crazy amount of belts are here to stay. It's only going to get worse.

thumbsdown Crying or Very sad

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Super D Boon wrote:Really what was it Audrey held a WBF or WBU belt? Povetkin got offered the fight and a good pay day. He might not like the way his first World title has come around but it was a decent pay day for him and makes him more marketable. Like it or not the crazy amount of belts are here to stay. It's only going to get worse.

thumbsdown Crying or Very sad

You copied my post!!! mad
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down