The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final

+8
chichestersurryfan
ChrisfromStroud
Corporalhumblebucket
SimonofSurrey
Carrotdude
jbd349
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final - Page 2 Empty surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Chris Adams has named a thirteen man squad for the Surrey Lions’ Clydesdale Bank 40 semi-final against the Sussex Sharks, at the Kia Oval on Sunday 4th September.
Yasir Arafat replaces Pragyan Ojah and returns to the squad after being rested for the final group game against Durham. With Jade Dernbach away on International duty, Arafat’s return is a welcome one, strengthening
also river has been left out Yahoo
The full Surrey Lions squad to face the Sussex Sharks at the Kia Oval on Sunday 4th September is:
Rory Hamilton-Brown (Captain)
Steven Davies (Wicket Keeper)
Jason Roy
Tom Maynard
Zander de Bruyn
Matthew Spriegel
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Chris Schofield
Tim Linley
Yasir Arafat
Gary Wilson
Stuart Meaker
so drink carrier and 1 from viscount,ansari,meaker to miss out
judging by one our one day teams this year you would think it might be the viscount

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final

Post by guildfordbat Sun 04 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Not that it's of vital national importance but Surrey web site says Schofield took 5 wickets while BBC says 4. It comes down to whether Khan was stumped or run out.... Anyone get to see this?

Corporal - just seen the above after having sent my previous post.

Schoey bowled to Khan and appealed for LBW. Khan then went forward - I thought to get away from his wicket and lessen the chances of a successful appeal rather than to get a run. In the confusion Davies got the ball and took the bails off.

In my view, a stumping but I'll want to watch again on Surrey tv.

I would just add that Davies kept very well throughout - early on, a tremendous stop changing direction and saving four runs off an inside edge when Arafat was bowling. By contrast, Brown was very ordinary for Sussex and his dropping of Hyphen in the first over proved expensive. I'm surprised Brown kept rather than Prior who also played - condition of the EWCB or just a duff decision?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs sussex clydesdale bank 40 semi-final

Post by guildfordbat Sun 04 Sep 2011, 9:47 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Anyone know how big was the crowd?

The members' areas were predictably busy but other parts seemed pretty empty. A shame. Very much down to the weather, I'm sure. I even saw some people leave around 2:30 convinced there wouldn't be any play today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Tibor Sun 04 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Guildford,

Apparently Prior is nursing some sort of achilles injury, so was rested from keeping (not sure who decided this though).

I'm also not sure that outfielding is any less stressful on the heel!

RE: Davies...

The one improvement I'd like to see is trying to stop the ball whilst/before appealing, on a number of occasions this season I have seen runs scored through him while optimistically appealing.

RE: Stumping...

Watching on TV you can understand the decision to make it a run out, as Amjad left his crease after the ball passed him, ruling out the concept that he ran out to hit the ball and implying that he was going for a (admitedly suicidal due to LBW appeal) run.

Tibor

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 04 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm

Thanks, Tibor.

Like you, I would have thought that Prior's heel is either fit or it isn't!

I'll certainly look out for the other points you flag.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:18 am

morning chaps cider guinness Bubbly RedWine vomit

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:35 am

Morning Jimbob - patience was rewarded Very Happy Bubbly

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:40 am

morning corporal 1st final since 2003 a long time coming but well worth the wait Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm

Can I just say "WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO"
Well played one and all - a fantastic effort

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:17 pm

watched the somerset game as well yesterday, and was very unimpressed with dockrell..

3-0-0-18-6.00

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:00 pm

Sussex fan in peace to congratulate Surrey.

I think you'll beat somerset as well

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:02 pm

Gregers wrote:Sussex fan in peace to congratulate Surrey.

I think you'll beat somerset as well
thanks gregers thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Tue 06 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

IMO you've been the best side in the CB40 this year

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 06 Sep 2011, 7:45 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Not that it's of vital national importance but Surrey web site says Schofield took 5 wickets while BBC says 4. It comes down to whether Khan was stumped or run out.... Anyone get to see this?

Schoey bowled to Khan and appealed for LBW. Khan then went forward - I thought to get away from his wicket and lessen the chances of a successful appeal rather than to get a run. In the confusion Davies got the ball and took the bails off.

I would just add that Davies kept very well throughout - early on, a tremendous stop changing direction and saving four runs off an inside edge when Arafat was bowling. By contrast, Brown was very ordinary for Sussex and his dropping of Hyphen in the first over proved expensive. I'm surprised Brown kept rather than Prior who also played - condition of the EWCB or just a duff decision?

Corporal - I'm sure you've watched this now. What's your take? Certainly idiotic batting ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:36 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

Corporal - I'm sure you've watched this now. What's your take? Certainly idiotic batting ....

Guildford - run out seems fair - or maybe "retired out". The batsmen clearly "wanted out" of the situation Very Happy

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:38 pm

Gregers wrote:IMO you've been the best side in the CB40 this year

Gregors - thanks. clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:48 pm

Fine comment about ''wanting out'', Corporal.

Greggs - thanks from me too.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Wed 07 Sep 2011, 8:02 am

What a great result... I must admit I did fall off the sun bed and into the pool when I read Schofield had taken four wickets in one match. Put this with the win against Northants and its been a much improved season for us no matter what happens from here on in. Very Happy

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 07 Sep 2011, 9:46 pm

depressedsurreyfan wrote:What a great result... I must admit I did fall off the sun bed and into the pool when I read Schofield had taken four wickets in one match. Put this with the win against Northants and its been a much improved season for us no matter what happens from here on in. Very Happy

thumbsup So, "cautiously optimistic Surrey fan" is back on the cards?!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 09 Nov 2011, 5:18 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

[The above was written on Sunday 4th September this year.]

Like a striker in football claiming every goal he can, the same seems to apply to bowlers and wickets.

Even though the wicket referred to above was officially credited as a run out, Chris Schofield, in an an interview on the Surrey website today, refers to himself in this game having taken ''four stroke five wickets''. Shocked

I don't believe anyone should begrudge him this fifth wicket. Although never the greatest of bowlers, he's a decent bloke who has always given his best. For those who don't know, he was recently released by the Club after six years.

Although Schoey doesn't reveal anything earth shattering, I still found it an interesting interview. He expresses appreciation of the opportunity he was given by Alan and Mark Butcher to resume his county career with Surrey after two years of Minor Counties cricket which followed his release by Lancs. He enjoyed his time with us and wishes the Club well. He's currently playing and coaching in Australia. Through his agents, he's now trying but struggling to find an English county to continue his playing career. Particularly as he has a young family, I wish him well although I fear it won't be easy.

For once, I have to say the Club comes out of this well. Too often, a released player is just forgotten and airbrushed out of recent history. Although Schoey's no longer on the payroll, it is right and proper that the Club feature him in the way they have and just possibly help him to stay in the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 09 Nov 2011, 6:10 pm

well said guildford clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 09 Nov 2011, 10:48 pm

I'm sure CF would like to sign him up for Essex!

But I agree your comments too, 100% Guildford

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2