The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Bargain Buys

+2
barragan
Maverick
6 posters

Go down

Best Bargain Buys Empty Best Bargain Buys

Post by Maverick Mon 05 Sep 2011, 1:36 pm

Went down to a friends golf shop that he has run for many years on Wednesday to buy new glove & balls prior to my return to playing and had a bit of a mooch about the shop see whats new out, and made a bit of an impulse buy. Many on here and old 606 will know that after my clubs were stolen last year I have not been happy with the replacement putter and flitted between several old ones. That is I did until Thursday.

Took a look at the putter section they have on their second floor, saw a putter with a white head that immediately took my eye, didn't notice the brand assumed it was one of the Taylor Made ghost putters and picked it up, had a brief putt on the matt there and looked at the price and then I noticed the brand and model.

This was not a Taylor Made ghost priced at £120 it was in fact a Benross Pure Red putter Doral model, priced at £60. It felt good off the face and weight felt good, had a word with my good friend who runs the place he knocked a tenner off the price and away I went. I thought at that price it was worth a punt.

Used the putter Thursday night for the first time and had 26 putts. Used it again yesterday had 25 putts. Now i'm not saying this streak will last but it's great to again have a putter in my hand that as soon as I pick it up feels great and comfortable.

The talking point for me on this thread then is this. In the current climate of golf gear costing you the price of a kidney or in less offensive terms for others a fortune, it's great I got a bargain I was not expceting so what is the best bit of bargain golf gear you have, whether an Ebay big brand purchase or like mine a make you may not have looked at before but just went with it.........

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Best Bargain Buys Empty Re: Best Bargain Buys

Post by barragan Mon 05 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

mentioned this before, but last month i picked up a 2nd hand set of mizuno mp32 irons from the bargain bucket of inverness golf centre for £95. always fancied trying out a set of blades and am delighted with these. i've built up a wee bit of prize money this season and was thinking of getting fitted for a new set of irons at the end of the year. given that we now have a wee one on the way and i've just been made redundant, i think i'll be sticking with the 32s.

i've done the same as yourself with a couple of putters mav: picked up a cleveland classic for 45 quid new and used it for a long time. also tried out a skanky 2ball for 70 quid second hand a few years ago, though i used it to trade up for the scotty which has been in my bag the past 3 or 4 years.

finally i've picked up a few clubs second hand in the past where i've managed to get a good return on trade in: titlesit 975d driver, bought for £35, trade in value the following weekend: £65. also i bought a vokey for £30 and got £55 back for it. think i got a tenner profit on the skanky 2ball.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 05 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

Ah but the bargain of all time was detailed in the old 606 by me.

A Scotty teryllium found hiding away at the back of a cabin at the local tip...........

'how much do you want for this old thing mate?' I enquired, crossing my fingers. 'All clubs are £1 each guv!' he replied.

RESULT!! Almost gave the bloke a kiss but decided to give him the pound instead and casually sauntered back to the car, whistling 'Luck be a lady tonight'

And now I've learnt to line it up correctly I am putting better than I ever have. Still not good mind you, but better.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 4putt Tue 06 Sep 2011, 4:40 am

I reckon I got a bargain on my new driver. I found a UK retail outlet that ships worldwide. When I entered my address the shipping came out at 30 pounds, so I ordered it. Nothing happened for a few days so I sent them an e-mail asking if there was a problem. Turns out the automatically generated ww shipping costs were wrong and it should have been 70 pounds.
I told them to ship it to my UK address. As a good will gesture they knocked the VAT off. Total cost for a Taylormade R9 460, 116 pounds.

My latest acquisition, 4 dozen Srixon Z URC's. for 30 pounds. Yes, there lakeballs, but I've never noticed a difference using them. Beats paying 30 pounds for a dozen new Srixon Z star balls.

4putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 06 Sep 2011, 8:10 am

Ban bam

In the spring I picked up a 2ball putter for £5 at a local school fete.
Loved it from day one and putting very well with it.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 06 Sep 2011, 9:00 am

doon, the one i got was one of the white hot steel versions shortly after they came out. the feel off the clubface was awful. my brother picked up an older version for £20 and he got on fairly well with it. can't knock odyssey in general but the one i had was a minger.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 06 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Probably a set of nine Rifle Flighted shafts for ~£35 via eBay from the U.S (inc. postage).

Quite liking my new (for me) Ping Rapture V2 driver (also a U.S. eBay purchase) with its very good Diamana shaft. Worked out cheaper from U.S. (inc. postage and Customs charges) than buying one via eBay in the U.K. Headscratch
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down