The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The biggest threat to world rugby...

+11
hugehandoff
fa0019
Geordie
BridgendBoyo
Tattie Scones RRN
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HammerofThunor
Effervescing Elephant
GavinDragon
RubyGuby
mckay1402
15 posters

Go down

The biggest threat to world rugby... Empty The biggest threat to world rugby...

Post by mckay1402 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14725789

It would be awesome to see it kick off in USA.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

The biggest threat to world rugby... Empty Re: The biggest threat to world rugby...

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

awesome! No pun intended i take it Tumbleweed

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

The biggest threat to world rugby... Empty Re: The biggest threat to world rugby...

Post by mckay1402 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

pun?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

would love to see it take off in the states let it spread and make it a truly global sport....even if the end result would mean wales falling further down the world rankings ;-)

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

What pun?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:52 am

What Pun? Anybody else on here willing to explain

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

Kick off?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

The oldest meaning of "awesome" is "something which inspires awe", but the word is also a common slang expression in English, originally from America - And that of course is the pun thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

I don't think than's a pun. And the word still means "something that impires awe". I thought puns were supposed to be a play on words.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:03 pm

That is not a pun.

Pun:
the humorous use of a word or phrase so as to emphasize or suggest its different meanings or applications, or the use of words that are alike or nearly alike in sound but different in meaning; a play on words.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

To be fair though theres till more people in the US who watch/play roller derby and quidditch than rugby even if it is a growing sport and something they love to insert in movies to show how hard leading characters are.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:06 pm

Interesting stats indeed!

4.35 miles average distance covered in rugby compared to 0.19 mile in AF?

I disagree with the average height of a rugby player being 6 ft - I'd say it's probably more on a par with AF at 6 ft 2.

But I really don't see the Americans improving greatly or dominating rugby for a long long time, if ever.

They will never fully embrace a sport not invented within their own country.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

But they have the second largest number of registered players don't they? Surely that means they should be the second best team in the world. Think of the playing pool

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

The biggest threat to world rugby... 810156456
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by BridgendBoyo Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

Let's just hope they never take it too seriously, otherwise we'll be fooked

BridgendBoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

Yeah there was a big story a few years back about that South Central project.

Some of the coaches were amazed by the athleticism of the people coming to training.

If it gets them out of the gangs etc then it has won already....but if some of them can progress...then i think the US could be a force some years down the line.

But then i expect Germany to be a force in the future.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

HammerofThunor

But when do these players take up the sport? College perhaps... by then its often too late.

If they did begin to take the game seriously we all might as well give up.... we'd see no doubt the first metric ton pack and guys like Habana would be seen as below average pace.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:06 pm

Well i've always thought of awesome as being synonomous with the USA and hence the pun but what the feck, they won't take it up anyway. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by hugehandoff Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:22 pm

I was surprised last year when well off the beaten track in Iowa University, Iowa City to see a really nice rugby pitch and training facilities. Apparently quite a few colleges have rugby clubs but it is definitely still only a minor sport. Similar to soccer in that as a youth sport USA has a very wide ranging and well particpated soccer scene - but when you grown up you move to the serious USA sports. Americans are obsessed with their football (gridiron), baseball, basketball, ice hockey and nothing will ever change that. I can see a growing amateur rugby scene developing but I don't think this will translate into the professional arena. Hence they may have large number of players but probably very few professionals.

hugehandoff

Back to top Go down

Post by TBJ9625 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

Some of the french teams might find this upsetting. The US will probably have more money to spend on players if the sport does take off nationally and they get the TV and sponsership that normally associated with major sports in the US????
TBJ9625
TBJ9625

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

I expect in 50 years we'll still be talking about the potential of the USA much the same as people have been doing in soccer for decades.

I expect that Italy and Russia are the only teams who could really step up several levels in next few decades.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirwaun7 Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:38 pm

I currently coach rugby at a high school in Ohio, and all of the above are correct, however the main reason it will never take off in the USA is the rugby season or the pre season clashes with the American Football season. In our area, Cleveland, the season can only start when the snow melts and all the kids who are playing football or wrestling are done and return to rugby. If the rugby season was changed to a summer sport then perhaps with the correct direction from the IRB and American Rugby the USA will one day be a world force on the rugby field.
Hirwaun7
Hirwaun7

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 08 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:But they have the second largest number of registered players don't they? Surely that means they should be the second best team in the world. Think of the playing pool

So England should always be the best team in the world then. Punching badly below their weight me thinks Smile

I'm in the US right now - all I've heard this week is "what world cup?"

I'd put more money on Warburton lifting the Webb Ellis mug this year then of ever seeing the yanks take rugby seriously.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down