The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby

+11
Scrumdown
Cyril
HammerofThunor
InjuredYetAgain
profitius
Notch
The Saint
Biltong
Brendan
George Carlin
kiakahaaotearoa
15 posters

Go down

Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby Empty Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:11 am

The timing of Blanco's statement seems a little suspicious. After all, he was the president of the Top 14 and did nothing to stop the issues of high salaries and the large influx of foreign players when he was at the helm. Now that he is in charge of the financially struggling Biarritz, he comes out with this statement: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9818_8803549,00.html.

That said, when you get past the agenda behind his statement, it is difficult to argue the overall thrust of his argument. The Top 14 is living beyond its means and relies on a few wealthy individuals to cover the alarming growing deficits of every club. If these individuals were to pull out of their investment, where would that leave the French clubs? Moreover, as salaries are increasing (65 % of a club's budget), they are disproportionately drawing in a wave of foreign players, as other countries simply cannot compete with such offers.

The club calendar overlaps the international calendar and French internationals play far too much rugby. Blanco is right to be concerned but what are the solutions? Is a salary cap a way to curb this hyperinflation of salaries? Is a foreign player quota a better way of preventing salaries getting out of hand? Is there any power on the part of the French Rugby Union to impose such laws or does it have to come from the Top 14 structure? It seems self interest is getting in the way of a solution and a uniform agreement on the part of the clubs seems unlikely with current financial backing. The fact that this level of investment seems unsustainable does not seem to be bringing the clubs to the negotiation table.

What do you think can be done and who would impose these measures? Or do you think that this bubble will soon burst and the situation will have to be addressed whether the clubs like it or not? And if so, what effect will have that on French international rugby?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby Empty Re: Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby

Post by George Carlin Mon 15 Jul 2013, 10:44 am

Yes Kia - it does sound a bit like an application for a job at the FRF. I can see from the picture that some fat bloke seems to have swallowed Serge.

Worrying about the clubs not being able to sustain a massive amount of debt is one thing and a completely different topic from what a lot of people feel is the main problem of foreign exports themselves halting the development of French national squad players.

The problem is well known - the FRF has no real control over the T14 clubs and the clubs themselves regard themselves as independent businesses who reap what they sow and can pimp themselves out to the highest bidder when it comes to advertising (I'm not sure that the Volkswagon logo on Toulon's jersey could physically be any larger - on Basteraud's belly, it crosses an international time zone).

In terms of the solvency of the clubs, we're back to the same problem that has crippled soccer teams over the years - Man United has posted record revenues over the past 10 years but in accounting terms only dipped into the black a couple of years ago. I would bet that most Premiership footy teams are balance sheet insolvent most of the time but act to generate enough revenue to service their ongoing capital debt requirements. It will take a French club going into insolvency for anything to happen.

The FRF could, of course, do something but won't.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby Empty Re: Blanco speaks out against threat to French rugby

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:48 pm

The picture's very similar in Spanish football. Every club has significant debt but only Real Madrid and Barcelona generate enough revenue to come close to being sustainable. If Hacienda start enforcing tax payments many would go bankrupt.

It's a shame that rugby looks to be heading down that track if something isn't done to stop getting further out of control.

I don't think somebody from the existing administration should be paid any attention. Blanco seems the Gerard Depardieu of rugby in terms of principles and ideals. They could well do withsomebodynew to shake things up a bit. Problem is who is that person and would he be in danger of being eaten alive?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:53 pm

The one key thing we are forgetting is that when fans own clubs either like exter or just one fan they know what they are doing and rarely leave. The problem is when money men run it and have a five year plan to make money.

Clubs in soccer that are run by soccer fans are fine eg. Real, barca, chelsea. It is wben people pump in loads of money (all they have) and then wonder why they didn't make money.

65% on wages doesn't seem massive compared to other sports.

I do think Blanco is talking out of two sides of his mouth or else he thinks he is the centre of french rugby like he was over 20years ago.

I like the system in SA & NZ where you have players graded A to C.
Players of grade A and B play together in the S15. Then A grade go off on internantional while B and C players play in the Currie/ITM.

Would love to see that here. The Rabo has it to a certain extent esp Ireland where players move up and down through the season/career where they are affliated to a club and province.

England kind of has it with the EPS where HC teams are generally the top team with a filler or two for league games.

France only has it for some away games and top playrrs are nearly playing all year round.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 12:56 pm

Is it possible that the FFR are hoping they go belly up so that they can do something simmilar to the other Rabo nations and have 6/8 regions controlled by them while the broken T14 gets dropped down to the same as in Ireland, italy, etc.

We all saw from Wales what happens if the clubs have the power/money and the union has to deal with them to make it work.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:23 pm

At the risk of veering completely off piste, my dearest wish is that the SRU employs consultants who actually know what they're doing (McKinsey, KPMG and PwC have good sports and leisure divisions) to analyse professional club structure in a number of nations where it works and deliver a report setting out how Scottish rugby is mostly likely to successfully optimise its beans to restructure its grass roots set up.

If it was done well and with the correct scope, they'd only have to do it once. Then they could choose to make the findings public (or not) and/or implement the changes - therefore creating a cast-iron private sector fall guys if things go jubblies up once a new structure is implemented.

It would be perfect. But it costs money. So they won't ever do it. If I can save enough over the years and nothing gets better, I'd commission it myself.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:36 pm

George Carlin wrote:At the risk of veering completely off piste, my dearest wish is that the SRU employs consultants who actually know what they're doing (McKinsey, KPMG and PwC have good sports and leisure divisions) to analyse professional club structure in a number of nations where it works and deliver a report setting out how Scottish rugby is mostly likely to successfully optimise its beans to restructure its grass roots set up.

If it was done well and with the correct scope, they'd only have to do it once. Then they could choose to make the findings public (or not) and/or implement the changes - therefore creating a cast-iron private sector fall guys if things go jubblies up once a new structure is implemented.

It would be perfect. But it costs money. So they won't ever do it. If I can save enough over the years and nothing gets better, I'd commission it myself.

George not knowing enough about club level in scotland could they not follow the irish model.

You have/had the four districts.  Edinburgh and glasgow are two.  The other two get made up of represntive players from the club scence for that region.  They could tell the ERC that they have four teams for european rugby and want half at the top table.
The two partime regions could play against the two professional regions once (3 games) plus 6 Amlin gams making it about 5 home games.  They then would build a base.  The boarders would be though on picking where they would play.  Tell both parttime regions that once they get x attendance per game for x number of seasons they will make them pro.  That way it is all on the district to grow and not the SRU but they could help them.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:38 pm

Kia how is the private/ union venture working out in NZ. I assume as we havent heard anything its ok.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:45 pm

For the life of me I simply don't understand how clubs/Franchises can run out of money.

Well, I can understand how, just not how these administrators are inclined to manage their business entities into the ground.

If you make 100 pounds, then you know you can't spend 101 pounds. Simples.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:53 pm

I wouldn't say it's without its problems. Otago Rugby Union had to be saved recently. Crowd attendance is patchy at best for the Super 15 and ITM. AIG for all its critics has put the NZRU into a profit but they were making currency bets with their profits not so long ago so I'm skeptical about their ability to sustainably manage things. At least in terms of salaries, the top players are yet to flee in big numbers but that's not to say we're losing a lot of players to league or Japanese or French clubs in particular because we most certainly are.

On the way to Europe, NZ is stopping off in Japan. That's replacing the Wales game that was scheduled. I'll be interested to see what comes of that in financial terms. The Hong Kong corporate venture failed miserably with Australia. Are they able to extract any sponsorship or promotional work with the team in November.

I'd say the situation is of a concern no matter where you are and not just with rugby. But like the general economic climate, I think there are places doing better than others. SA seems in healthy shape but the lure of the euro is proving to be a big drain on players. I don't think anyone can say they're well off at the moment but the situation in France seems worse than most. 65 % of spending on salaries is justifiable if you have a big broadcast and advertising audience but I'd be very surprised if the Top 14 was anywhere near it needed to be for that level of spending to be considered sustainable.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Jul 2013, 2:57 pm

South Africa are way behind, I read a report that suggest the players in SA only receive 35% of the revenue
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 15 Jul 2013, 8:54 pm

Colomiers, Brive, Agen, Stade Francais. That's the way they're heading and each relegated club will be replaced with the next Toulon.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 15 Jul 2013, 9:21 pm

Brendan wrote:
George Carlin wrote:At the risk of veering completely off piste, my dearest wish is that the SRU employs consultants who actually know what they're doing (McKinsey, KPMG and PwC have good sports and leisure divisions) to analyse professional club structure in a number of nations where it works and deliver a report setting out how Scottish rugby is mostly likely to successfully optimise its beans to restructure its grass roots set up.

George not knowing enough about club level in scotland could they not follow the irish model.

You have/had the four districts.  Edinburgh and glasgow are two.  The other two get made up of represntive players from the club scence for that region.  They could tell the ERC that they have four teams for european rugby and want half at the top table.
The two partime regions could play against the two professional regions once (3 games) plus 6 Amlin gams making it about 5 home games.  They then would build a base.  The boarders would be though on picking where they would play.  Tell both parttime regions that once they get x attendance per game for x number of seasons they will make them pro.  That way it is all on the district to grow and not the SRU but they could help them.
It does seem like quite a good model Brendan. How active are the clubs in each province at attracting young players? And more importantly, I was under the impression that rugby is still behind soccer, hurling and gaelic football at school. Is that wrong? All of my lot went to places like Blackrock and are rugby nuts which I know is not representative at all.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:05 pm

Biltong wrote:For the life of me I simply don't understand how clubs/Franchises can run out of money.

Well, I can understand how, just not how these administrators are inclined to manage their business entities into the ground.

If only high finance was that simple! We live in a world where countries buy and sell debt to each other and bankers can crash the economy and get a pay raise.

Maybe it should be that simple. Who knows.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 15 Jul 2013, 11:15 pm

Notch wrote:
Biltong wrote:For the life of me I simply don't understand how clubs/Franchises can run out of money.

If only high finance was that simple! We live in a world where countries buy and sell debt to each other and bankers can crash the economy and get a pay raise.

Maybe it should be that simple. Who knows.
perhapd that is the cause of the problems, high finance. If you can't do it cash, don't finance it.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:19 am

George Carlin wrote:
Brendan wrote:

It does seem like quite a good model Brendan. How active are the clubs in each province at attracting young players? And more importantly, I was under the impression that rugby is still behind soccer, hurling and gaelic football at school. Is that wrong? All of my lot went to places like Blackrock and are rugby nuts which I know is not representative at all.

More could be done to to promote rugby in schools but just look at connacht to see it is growing. More should be done to feed in those who dont go to rugby school or play for the big clubs.

I do like how the WRU are doind north Wales but as Scotland has good clubs in the other regions its not so much a problem. They just need to have the regions there as a team.

In SA the kings were a team for a couple of years so were able to grow without as much pressure as had they been stuck into S15 in their first year. Scotland has the same number of entrants as Rominia (i think), putting in two representive teams from scotland will be better then 1/3 of the teams in the Amlin.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 16 Jul 2013, 11:37 am

The French clubs are taking in young, non French players for their academies also!
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 22 Jul 2013, 9:38 pm

Was it not Blanco that was playing brinkmanship and threatening to take the French clubs out of Europe a good few years ago. He can swivel as far as I am concerned; a great player in his day but that was a long time ago.
My biggest concern about the French (and English model to a lesser extent) is that as owners plough more and more money in, they want to see a return and may end up like soccerball clubs and try to stop players going off on international duty. They seem to be strong arming the PI players so will the Welsh and French players be next?

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 22 Jul 2013, 10:46 pm

profitius wrote:The French clubs are taking in young, non French players for their academies also!

That's their way round the JIFF quota put on them. Hence why the Armitages are popular. They spend around 4 years there when kids.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 22 Jul 2013, 10:55 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:The French clubs are taking in young, non French players for their academies also!

That's their way round the JIFF quota put on them. Hence why the Armitages are popular. They spend around 4 years there when kids.

Interesting. France's team these days is half foreign ie not your traditional Frenchman. Thats bound to turn many French people off the team.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 23 Jul 2013, 7:39 am

profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

Interesting. France's team these days is half foreign ie not your traditional Frenchman. Thats bound to turn many French people off the team.

Like it has for English football?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Jul 2013, 11:32 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I don't know about English soccer team but the French soccer team turned many French people off supporting France.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:00 pm

profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

What do you mean by 'traditional Frenchman'? With today's increasingly mixed cultures and increase in cross-border travel etc I'm not sure what 'traditional' means. That applies to all teams.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:39 pm

Tradtional garlic, beret and black and white t-shirt wearing, baguette under the arm, accordion around the other, riding a bicycle Frenchmen. You know: white.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:42 pm

profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:

I don't know about English soccer team but the French soccer team turned many French people off supporting France.

When you say "many" what do you mean? A few people you've spoken to? The results of a survay of x000s people? Attendance at games? Viewing figures? Something else?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:47 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Tradtional garlic, beret and black and white t-shirt wearing, baguette under the arm, accordion around the other, riding a bicycle Frenchmen. You know: white.
Laugh Smoking gitanes too, no doubt.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:49 pm

Don't mention the word gypsies or gitanes again, Cyril. You mentioned it once but I think you got away with it...

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Wed 24 Jul 2013, 1:38 pm

Camille Lopez, the french international 10 will surely be playing second fiddle to James Hook at Perpignan next year, yet he will be first choice for France.

James Hook, meanwhile is nowhere for Wales. France used to be the envy of the world in terms of the depth of talent they posessed. Now they are literally struggling to put out a team of 1st choice club players.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Jul 2013, 3:16 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:

When you say "many" what do you mean? A few people you've spoken to? The results of a survay of x000s people? Attendance at games? Viewing figures? Something else?

It was well know that the French were turned off from supporting a France team filled with what they called foreigners. Laurent Blanc got in trouble for suggest they put in quotas for Black and Arab players.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Jul 2013, 3:17 pm

Cyril wrote:
What do you mean by 'traditional Frenchman'? With today's increasingly mixed cultures and increase in cross-border travel etc I'm not sure what 'traditional' means. That applies to all teams.

Do you not honestly know or are you just looking for an argument?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 24 Jul 2013, 3:36 pm

profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:

It was well know that the French were turned off from supporting a France team filled with what they called foreigners. Laurent Blanc got in trouble for suggest they put in quotas for Black and Arab players.

Depends which French people you talk to. I was living in France in 1998 and the team was used as a shining example of what the best of a multicultural and multiracial France had to offer. I don't think many people were turned off by Zidane in that final. Maybe they didn't like him headbutting an Italian.

Quotas always divide opinion. Look at SA. But they are an attempt to integrate sectors of society who are otherwise at a disadvantage. It's a big leap from there though to say French people were turned off by so many foreigners in the team.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 24 Jul 2013, 5:41 pm

profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:

Ahh, a well known fact. Gotcha

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Jul 2013, 7:42 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:
HammerofThunor wrote:
profitius wrote:

Ahh, a well known fact. Gotcha

Nah just kidding. Shur doesn't everyone love multiculturism! thumbsup 
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rosbif Wed 24 Jul 2013, 9:16 pm

What a load of racist crap I 've lived in France 20 years and you are talking rubbish

rosbif

http://www.brittanygite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Jul 2013, 9:46 pm

rosbif wrote:What a load of racist crap I 've lived in France 20 years and you are talking rubbish

You must have missed the part where Jean-Marie Le Pens "far-right" party got about 1/5th of votes. That means it would be higher among the traditional French. Have you been smoking pot for the last 20 years or are you just a bit dim? Headscratch 
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Jul 2013, 9:42 am

I entirely agree with Blanco and have been saying this for years. French rugby is in trouble. It isn't financially sustainable, and you can't simply rely on rich owners to continuously plug the financial holes. When one of two of these guys cease to bank roll these vanity projects, there will be administrations, liquidations and a firesale of players (and hopefully a sensible adjustment to salaries).

Even if I'm wrong and somehow this continues indefinitely, the influx of non-French qualified players and the unrivalled power of the clubs is undoubtedly harming the French national side. It's been a while since we've seen a truly great French side in the 6 Nations.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MotelMoneyMurderMadness Thu 25 Jul 2013, 10:35 am

Does anyone know the financial figures for revenue and expenditure for a club like Toulon?

MotelMoneyMurderMadness

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 25 Jul 2013, 11:25 am

profitius wrote:
Cyril wrote:

You're the one who seems to be looking for an argument, making broad generalisations about what French people think about the ethnic mix of their side.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Thu 25 Jul 2013, 12:07 pm

Cyril wrote:
profitius wrote:
Cyril wrote:

You're the one who seems to be looking for an argument, making broad generalisations about what French people think about the ethnic mix of their side.

How am I looking for an argument?? I simply said "many" French people and it seems a few of you posters have a big problem with that for some reason. Regarding their soccer team I hear it discussed on radio, read it in the papers and I saw French people on TV interviewed who were against it. The national coach made reference to having quotas on Arabs and Blacks and politicians got involved. Now don't tell me its not an issue.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 25 Jul 2013, 12:15 pm

Immigration has long been an issue in France, nothing new to report. The Le Pen political dynasty is founded on issues such as border controls and immigration and what it means to be "French", and you only need to look at how many votes they have received in the past to appreciate that it's a topic which many French voters feel (or have felt in the past) needs addressed.

Of course people is glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It's not as if there aren't political movements in this country with similar ideology.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 25 Jul 2013, 4:38 pm

profitius wrote:
Cyril wrote:
profitius wrote:
Cyril wrote:

How am I looking for an argument?? I simply said "many" French people and it seems a few of you posters have a big problem with that for some reason. Regarding their soccer team I hear it discussed on radio, read it in the papers and I saw French people on TV interviewed who were against it. The national coach made reference to having quotas on Arabs and Blacks and politicians got involved. Now don't tell me its not an issue.

Fair point. A useful source of unbiased information is the media.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Thu 25 Jul 2013, 10:38 pm

profitius wrote:
rosbif wrote:What a load of racist crap I 've lived in France 20 years and you are talking rubbish

You must have missed the part where Jean-Marie Le Pens "far-right" party got about 1/5th of votes. That means it would be higher among the traditional French. Have you been smoking pot for the last 20 years or are you just a bit dim? Headscratch 

20% of the votes is hardly representative of an opinion when half of the voters didnt show up to start with. You have to realise that most of FN voters are voting against the traditonal politicians rather than simply embracing le pen ideology... Anyway, the problem the french public has with our football team is not the lack of "tradional" french players but rather the poor attitude (spoiled brats that because they play for mancity think they can do whatever they want) and mainly crap displays. Players openly saying they dont give a toss about the marseillaise doesnt help though. Not all is black or white.
As for blanco, I guess he's just moaning because biarritz is losing their major sponsor so he will have to do some actual work now rather than just sit at the FFR banquets. Have more respect for the boudjedal of this world who at least worked very hard to achieve something for their clubs than some lazy git like blanco.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 26 Jul 2013, 9:40 am

whocares wrote:Anyway, the problem the french public has with our football team is not the lack of "tradional" french players but rather the poor attitude (spoiled brats that because they play for mancity think they can do whatever they want) and mainly crap displays. Players openly saying they dont give a toss about the marseillaise doesnt help though. Not all is black or white.
Agree with that OK

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 26 Jul 2013, 3:48 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. As far as I'm concerned I'm 100% in the right.

Another thing thats been noticable from an Irish poitn of view are the number of players from Ireland who are moving to France. An article was written about it today.

Jerry Sexton follows illustrious brother in making France switch
Friday, July 26, 2013
Jerry Sexton, younger brother of Lions out-half Jonny, has joined his sibling in making a move to French club rugby.

By Murray Kinsella

Jerry, 20, signed for Pro D2 side Auch on a one-year academy contract, coincidentally the same town Paul O’Connell is getting married in this weekend.

Sexton makes the move to the home of Les Bleus after impressing for St Mary’s in the Ulster Bank League. The second-row was part of the Ireland U20 squad for this year’s Six Nations clash against Scotland. Measuring 6ft 3ins and over 100kg, the lock represented Leinster up to U20 level.

Joining Sexton in Auch’s academy is Rory Kavanagh, a backline star for St Michael’s when they won the 2012 Leinster Schools Senior Cup.

Several other Irish prospects will be plying their trade in the Pro D2 this season with Mark Flanagan at Mont de Marsan, while Brian Hayes, Conor Gaston and Charlie Simpson have moved to Jeremy Davidson-coached Aurillac. Flanagan, 23, made nine appearances for Leinster over the last three seasons. Hayes, 22, was part of the Munster squad that beat Australia in 2010. Gaston, 22, and Simpson, 21, are both products of the Ulster academy. These moves follow the news that two young Irish players have joined Top 14 clubs. Peter Lydon, 21, joined Stade Francais’ academy last month having impressed at out-half for Seapoint in Division 2A while Shane O’Leary, 19, has signed for FC Grenoble’s academy, as part of a growing Irish contingent in the Rhone-Alpes region.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/jerry-sexton-follows-illustrious-brother-in-making-france-switch-238029.html

I'd like to know how many players in academies are not from France. I know they have Irish, PIs, Canadians, Scots, Georgians etc
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 26 Jul 2013, 10:43 pm

Profitius, you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect that eventhough this is a complex subject and an outsider cannot really grasp all the details.
As for the number of foreign youngsters playing in french club academies I cannot fully comment but clermont has been a huge specialist of such practice and probably has 20-25 pct of foreigners. Most imports being from fidji and georgia. Nakaiciti now french qualified is a prime example. Vakatawa at racing another one. We even had russian and belarussian emigrates in our U20 ( to be fair those learnt rugby here). Didnt know about the irish connection other than noticing this flyhalf that was on grenoble teamsheet last season.
One thing about academy players is that they are very cheap for clubs so the interesting bit is how many of them will get a full pro contract considering the rising unemployment amongst pro players in france.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down