The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your preferred final? Vote here!

+5
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
Guest82
wow
Tenez
9 posters

Go down

Your Prefered Final?

Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_lcap12%Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 3 ]
Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_lcap24%Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 6 ]
Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_lcap32%Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 8 ]
Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_lcap32%Your preferred final? Vote here! Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 25

Poll closed

Your preferred final? Vote here! Empty Your preferred final? Vote here!

Post by Tenez Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

Vote for your prefer final and explain why....if you care!

Last edited by Tenez on Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Your preferred final? Vote here! Empty Re: Your preferred final? Vote here!

Post by wow Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

Fed is my first choice and Andy is the second. I will be gutted if Nadal wins. So sooner Nadal lose happier I am.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

Djokovic v Nadal.

I have a bet on Djokovic to win the tournament - I think Nadal is the easier final for him.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

Murray v Djoko.

Really, really, really want Murray to win a slam. But if not, then 3 GS and 5, 6 Masters (lost count) for Djoko would have to go down as the greatest year in Open Era tennis since Laver's GS in '69 - and that's gotta be worth seeing.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Murray v Djoko.

Really, really, really want Murray to win a slam. But if not, then 3 GS and 5, 6 Masters (lost count) for Djoko would have to go down as the greatest year in Open Era tennis since Laver's GS in '69 - and that's gotta be worth seeing.
To me winning 3 GS and reaching the finals of the fourth is more impressive than the number of TMS. We have seen Federer and Sampras sacrify TMS to be better prepared for slams. Slams is really what matters. TMS might be called something else next year or downgraded, upgraded etc... Slams won't.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:55 pm

Any final without Roger in it, because that means Novak is in the final. And also because of the winning charm and personality of many of the extreme fed fans.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

I voted for Federer and Nadal. It would be the most historic and both players have proved that they can produce their best on such occasions so chances are it would be a great match. It would also be great for tennis at it would generate the most publicity.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

Tenez wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Murray v Djoko.

To me winning 3 GS and reaching the finals of the fourth is more impressive than the number of TMS. We have seen Federer and Sampras sacrify TMS to be better prepared for slams. Slams is really what matters. TMS might be called something else next year or downgraded, upgraded etc... Slams won't.

See your point, but it's not like Djoko tanked at the FO - he made the semi. And how about 3GS + 1 semi without sacrificing any Masters, which at the moment (and for the last 20 years) are the next rung down?

Pretty sure you may think that today's achievements aren't as worthwhile as yesteryear's, but in 30 years time no-one will look at much apart from what is in the 'Win' column.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

Good post julius, they have had master's in some form now since the 70s when they were called grand prixes and the 8 mandatory masters and year end championships have had a pretty stable format since the 90s with a few minor changes. If Novak does win the USO and finishes with just a handful of losses I would agree that he has had the best year since laver.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

socal1976 wrote:Good post julius, they have had master's in some form now since the 70s when they were called grand prixes and the 8 mandatory masters and year end championships have had a pretty stable format since the 90s with a few minor changes. If Novak does win the USO and finishes with just a handful of losses I would agree that he has had the best year since laver.

In 2006 Roger won 3 slams (reached the final of the other), 4 masters, WTF and 12 titles in total. He lost just 5 matches.

Novak needs to win the USO, WTF and finish with a higher win-loss percentage to beat that. Or alternatively, win the USO and win 13 tournaments and finish with a higher win-loss percentage. This would balance the poorer overall slam performance. His extra two masters titles (thus far) would balance the lack of a WTF title.

It's gonna be very close.

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

Yep, Roger in 05 was pretty much untouchable, and as for Novak we just have to wait and see how the year plays out. He has battled a lot harder than Roger battled in 05 when he was just whitewashing everyone, Novak's style takes more juice out of him so he may have a tougher time at the end of the year and probably a higher chance of hitting a physical wall. He has 9 tourney wins right now so I think 3 more to tie Roger isn't going to be too tough and I wouldn't be surprised if he won either Shanghai or paris as he has played well in both those events in the past. Either way I am happy, record or not, the year end #1 and two slams is pretty sweet one way or the other.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

I've gone for Djoko v Murray due to my preference of outcome:

1) Djoko wins 3 slams and 5 masters in a year
2) Murray wins a maiden slam
3) Fed gets to 17 slams in what may be the final high tide of his talent.
4) I don't see Nadal getting to 11 slams as much of a landmark beyond the fact it improves his chances of beating Fed's 16.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Ok here is what I would like. A Federer v Nadal final.

Of course Nadal woudl be Federer's worse rival for the final but if he wins there.....it woudl be amazing to beat Djoko and Nadal at 30 in succession.

A tall order certainly but hey, he can do it and if he does.....People will remember.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:56 pm

I see it exactly the same way murdoch. I don't want Nadal to defend his title as a Novak fan i want that gap in the points race to be as big as possible. And if Novak doesn't get #4 then I would at least like to see Andy get #1. At least it would be a change of pace. The murray haters would have to stop their posts about how murray is never going to win a slam, instead they will start up with their posts about how he is one slam wonder, still it would be a nice change of pace.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:57 pm

Tenez wrote:Ok here is what I would like. A Federer v Nadal final.

Of course Nadal woudl be Federer's worse rival for the final but if he wins there.....it woudl be amazing to beat Djoko and Nadal at 30 in succession.

A tall order certainly but hey, he can do it and if he does.....People will remember.

Agreed I think this win would be his most career defining and build his legacy more than any of the other slams. Beating his two biggest and much younger rivals in successive 5 setters.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

There are so many reasons to want a Federer Nadal final. The draw made it possable. Federer and Nadal have got safely to the semi's. Its stopped raining (I think). They've even made it sensable rather than stupid Saturday so that no player will be given big advantage. Just two more matches...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

Fed v Nadal final.

Would like to see them complete the "finals set," as it may be the last time for this to happen. They have such a rich history, and I, unlike many people, don't think it's a shoe-in for Nadal, should they play that final.

As much as that would please me, I think people do Roger a great discredit to think that way; part of what makes him great, (and similarily, why people are knocking him so much now, because it's not happening in every important match), is that he can turn a match around by playing very agressive, attacking tennis, taking the ball very early and hitting angles.

Whatever happens, would like to see a battle "royale" in both semis and the final, and am sure this would please most tennis fans, regardless of personal favourites.

This semi draw has the potential to be a real fireworks display, and perhaps the most memorable semi and final match up...we shall see...

Nadal in 4; Federer in 4....

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by We Are Number 1!!! Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:00 pm

I would like a Federer Nadal final. The two greatest players of their era, and of all tow of the greatest of all time. Djokovic vs Nadal or Murray would be a straightforward victory for Djokovic. Federer vs Murray was lead to Federer destroying Murray again, which isn't worth the admission.

We Are Number 1!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

Agree with your analysis. I think Novak would probably be favored against both those guys in the final pretty heavily. Roger might get 17 the way he is playing right now.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:11 pm

Novak seems to be on his way out of the US open.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down