The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland will beat England

+29
funnyExiledScot
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Cumbrian
nottins_jones
nottins
RuggerRadge2611
TycroesOsprey
rugbyman
Duty281
Gatts
english warrior
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
eirebilly
ML
wrfc1980
aitchw
Cymroglan
HammerofThunor
lostinwales
offload
nathan
Manky-Flanker
EnglishReign
Breadvan
doctor_grey
Mad for Chelsea
majesticimperialman
tomathy
rugbywhales
33 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scotland will beat England Empty Scotland will beat England

Post by rugbywhales Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:26 pm

After today they have a very good chance. Even the perfect Wilkinson had a nightmare day at the boot which was almost as horrific as when Bergamasco played 9.

rugbywhales

Back to top Go down

Scotland will beat England Empty Re: Scotland will beat England

Post by tomathy Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:31 pm

Scotland were by all accounts pretty terrible today as well remember.
tomathy
tomathy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:35 pm

The way England played today Scotland may well beet them.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

wondered how long it would take for one of these to pop up 🤦

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

Not sure if Scotland could beat England, as they barely held off Romania. But, after watching England this mornig, I have to say my club with our team of overweight fatties could give them a run for their money. If the ball was any slower coming out of the ruck and then played, my grandmother could have gotten in a few good plays. Absolutely cringe-worthy.

And yet, strangely, my high expectations for England aren't diminished. I guess I am nuts.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbywhales Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

Maybe you're right. In 2007 England went from losing 36-0 to nearly winning the tournament.

rugbywhales

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

After one game, with 3 more to play? Headscratch Premature to say the least..
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:43 pm

I don't understand how Argentina went from becoming a "tough start" to an easy 20 pointer for England within a couple weeks. It was always going to be tough.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

Despite scoring 4 good tries, our scrum was simply not good enough. It was our undoing in the last 6N, and I think it will be our undoing in the world cup too. I think everyone else in our group will target it now when playing us.

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

EnglishReign wrote:I don't understand how Argentina went from becoming a "tough start" to an easy 20 pointer for England within a couple weeks. It was always going to be tough.
Agree completely. Must have come from pre-RWC madness. I also think the Scotland match will be close.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 2:51 pm

rugbywhales wrote:After today they have a very good chance. Even the perfect Wilkinson had a nightmare day at the boot which was almost as horrific as when Bergamasco played 9.

not a change unless you sort your scrum out.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

England will bounce back - it will be difficult to be that bad again. Scotland are more than capable of beating England and Argentina, but I still doubt they will. I predict England and Scotland will qualify.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:43 pm

Scotland wont win but it could well be another messy game to watch

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

offload wrote:England will bounce back - it will be difficult to be that bad again.

That's sounds like a challenge we can easily meet

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

When England lost 36-0 they still played better than they did today.
On that day in 2007 England played a classy South African side if this side today had took them on they would have lost by far more.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

It was great to see Scotland scoring tries but they still have work to do in the pack if they have genuine desire to put one over on the Auld Enemy.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wrfc1980 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:21 pm

What a load of rubbish!! World cup rugby is all about gringing out wins, not playing pretty rugby. If you ask any Welshman would they take a one point win tomorow playing terrible rugby they would say yes! If you asked any Welshman wether they would take a one point scrappy win against Fiji and Samoa playing terrible rugby they would say yes! Just a as a Scotsmas would take a terrible one pointer against Argetntina, or Ireland would take a terrible one pointer against Ireland etc etc. The most importan thing is the win, nothing else matters. England will play better than that and will win their group, that will give a probable quarter final against France. Again England would take a terrible one poitn win against them as they would the Aussies in the semi final.... All you English bashers can rip as much as you like, however England won and look likely to top their group and know what it takes to win games in world cups.

wrfc1980

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:24 pm

And Argentina are no mugs - poor performance in Wales or no. I hope the injuries they suffered are not serious enough to affect how the Pumas do in the rest of the tournament

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:36 pm

wrfc1980 wrote:What a load of rubbish!! World cup rugby is all about gringing out wins, not playing pretty rugby. If you ask any Welshman would they take a one point win tomorow playing terrible rugby they would say yes! If you asked any Welshman wether they would take a one point scrappy win against Fiji and Samoa playing terrible rugby they would say yes! Just a as a Scotsmas would take a terrible one pointer against Argetntina, or Ireland would take a terrible one pointer against Ireland etc etc. The most importan thing is the win, nothing else matters. England will play better than that and will win their group, that will give a probable quarter final against France. Again England would take a terrible one poitn win against them as they would the Aussies in the semi final.... All you English bashers can rip as much as you like, however England won and look likely to top their group and know what it takes to win games in world cups.

Jeez, take a chill pill. No-one is "England bashing" in this thread they are saying two things:

The first is opinon: They think Scotland might beat England.

The second is fact: England were bloody awful today.

You do realise thats why this part of 606v2 exists? To discuss rugby facts and opinions.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

I thought Argentina were very poor today clueless kicking they will need to play far better if they have any ambition of going further in the competition.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

I think Scotland actually now have less chance of beating England. A sub-standard performance by England today means they will be focussed on improving and almost every player knows they need to step up. The players coming off the bench (Youngs especially) were probably the standouts.

The Scots struggled against Romania. Hardly enough to fill anyone with any confidence.

I'm sure England will get better and top the group and think Argentina will beat the Scots in a close game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

SafeAsMilk
But you don't think that Scotland will be focused on improving ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

Cymroglan wrote:SafeAsMilk
But you don't think that Scotland will be focused on improving ?
Yes, but they've got a much further distance to improve. Scotland playing poorly would not have beaten Argentina.

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

The thing is with England is that even when they are playing badly they can still be very hard to beat. You dont get that same sense of awkwardness - 'belligerence' from many teams.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 10 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Of course Scotland have every chance of beating England. I doubt they will though.

Some people dont seem to understand just how difficult it is to beat Argentina. Ok England played poorly and Argentina wernt much better but England won. If i was a Scottish fan, i would be more worried about beating Argentina than beating England.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbywhales Sat 10 Sep 2011, 5:09 pm

Meoooooow

rugbywhales

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 5:55 pm

Oh, don't do that now, mind.

In truth Argentina, England and Scotland all played at a nice solid level of mediocrity today. Can't go downhill so onwards and upwards from here.

There can, and should be a lot of debate abut what each team needs to do to start really firing. Frankly, the Scotland match was too early in the morning for me to remember specifics, except for getting nervous part way through the second half. That would mean defense, defense, defense.

For England, quick ball (or at least not painfully slow ball), a semblence of some real running lines, and much better tackling.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:14 pm

Here, here, doctor_grey - sounds like both Scotland and England had troubles at the breakdown, so I'm pretty sure we can expect to see improvements from both teams in that area. Scotland will need to steady ther scrum and work hard on maul defence, but it was great to see our backs looking threatening with ball in hand - our support play will need to be top notch to ensure that line breaks can be built upon with players not getting isolated. 3 massive challenges, at least, remain ahead for Scotland Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:45 pm

Hey As,
I think Romania was the perfect first match for Scotland: A physical team which is well coached, but whom Scotland should defeat. After some nervouis moments, the better team put their opponent away - as they should. Was certainly the right match to engage the backs and get things moving. I also think Scotland will get more out of their match than England did. Scotland has a few specific areas of focus. England were poor across the board, most especially including decision making.

Scotland having Georgia up next is also a good thing. Should be primed and ready for Argentina and England.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah, 'and Scotland will beat England'

Well that may well be true if the World cup was about the production of hot air and BS, Scotland and Wales would be fighting it out in every final, but its about World cup Rugby, and in this format England do well, and the 'Celtic fringe ' country's simply don't .

Its almost like a mathmatical equation, so get your collective mindset on an Early flight home, or do i have to remind you of a different sport long, long ago, where 'Ali's Tartan army' were going to show the World? and we all know how that ended. Bye for now!!

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 10 Sep 2011, 8:00 pm

rugbywhales wrote:After today they have a very good chance. Even the perfect Wilkinson had a nightmare day at the boot which was almost as horrific as when Bergamasco played 9.

Whales should not be allowed anywhere near rugby

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:13 pm

English warrior, have you seen a single Scottish poster support the claims of the OP? No? Ah well, away with your pathetic bile, pls don't waste space with your brand of meaningless nonsense, there are other more respected English fans that I'd like to hear from

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:50 pm

🤦

I guess you missed Scotland's game today then. They conceded 20-odd points to ROMANIA! England will murder them just like SA will murder Wales tomorrow.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

Let's keep this as friendly and sensible as possible please. There's absolutely no need to out right attack other posters or nations, it's simply not acceptable. Consider this a warning, any other posts of that sort of nature will be removed. Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

Duty - just out of interest, did you watch the Scotland v Romania game?

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:53 pm

Yep I did. Scotland were awful even going behind at one stage.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

So they were not the only side that went behind played awful yet still managed to win.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

Hmm, okay, I actually gave that more as a credit to Romania, especially in the scrums. I think in that aspect of the game they have enough to worry anyone, even England, who were well matched by Argentina for the most part today.

Scotland made the mistake of allowing Romania too much ball. If England do that, I've no doubt Romania will score a fair few points against them too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 9:59 pm

There's a massive difference between a narrow win over Argentina and a narrow win over Romania.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:23 pm

Indeed there is. France played worse than England as well - conceding that many to JAPAN! Possibly the ALL Blacks in the second half were worse than England as well. It'll be the same tomorrow as well because Australia will struggle to put away Italy and Sa will struggle to put away Wales althought they will both manage it in the end.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:29 pm

Duty You could well be right but in the case of Wales, South Africa will have to put us away sooner than later leaving it till the end may cost them.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyman Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

Both sides came up against very determined sides, both struggled but eventually came through. The only difference is that England played a side who were not only determined, they had class too, whereas scotland were playing a side with comparitively little top class experience and no real classy players. Overall both sides had dissapointing performances but still ground out a win, t hat's all you need for round 1. Also suggesting England were worse than the 36-0 side is a comment 'bordering on ignorance' and an insult to Argentina.

rugbyman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:47 pm

I disagree rugbyman - Tincu, Romania's captain and who plays for Perpignan - now he is a classy player. Thought he was superb. They didn't have many other's to support him though I'll agree there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

rugbyman
No ignorance or insult intended, I believe that that side that lost 36-0 were better than the performance we seen today.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm

I think awful is unfair on the scots, the first quarter and last 10 they played some excellent rugby. In between their pack got exposed badly at the scrum. England, Argentina and Georgia are going to try and scrummage the scots off the park.

honestly I think the scots are in for a rough ride against Argentina, against england maybe passion for beating the old enemy will take them through.

England were poor today but they are going to get better. Sad

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:54 pm

England Argentina and Scotland by far the easiest group, Wales would walk that group,
BUT! Wales have a nasty nasty group with the World champs and south sea islanders.

Back to top Go down

Post by ML Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm

Duty281 wrote:Indeed there is. France played worse than England as well - conceding that many to JAPAN! ..............

I have to disagree with that. France's performance was patchy, as was Scotland's but both sides showed more attacking nous in the first 5 minutes of their games than England did in the entire match.

Argentina are NOT the side of 2007 AND they were shorn of key players through injury.

I don't understand the English Fan's (or management's) reaction after the first match............ England were abject today. That is NOT to say they are a bad team, I dont believe that for a moment, but they were truly appalling against Argentina. BBC journalist Ben Dirs touched on this "a win is a win" attitude today in his blog (n.b. Ben is an England fan)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bendirs/2011/09/dysfunctional_england_in_need.html

The opening paragraphs ring particularly true to me. I grew up watching Rugby as an amateur sport, when players like Bennet, Edwards, Duckham, Gibson, Irvine thrilled the crowds with off the cuff brilliance. This "win at all costs" attitude (often wrongly blamed on professionalism) is lessening a great sport and turning it - and its supporters - into the unedifying and tedious profit led world of Wendyball.

If the side I support (Wales) get thrashed tomorrow but play some attractive rugby, I would be happier than if they produced the gormless, passionless type of display England put up and squeeked a narrow victory.

ML

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbyman Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:19 pm

Rugbydreamer, thought he was good on the day too, but isn't he 3rd choice at Perpignan? Pretty sure he doesn't start anyway.

And cymroglan, i think we should just agree to disagree on that one Smile

rugbyman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:English warrior, have you seen a single Scottish poster support the claims of the OP? No? Ah well, away with your pathetic bile, pls don't waste space with your brand of meaningless nonsense, there are other more respected English fans that I'd like to hear from

+1

Fully agree. No Scottish poster is taking any match for granted. Especially England. Perhaps best not to tar some of the most realistic and pessimistic fans with that sort of brush!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sun 11 Sep 2011, 3:46 pm

viewtothegym wrote:England Argentina and Scotland by far the easiest group, Wales would walk that group,
BUT! Wales have a nasty nasty group with the World champs and south sea islanders.

Of course they would 🤦

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next