The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam!

+2
wow
yloponom68
6 posters

Go down

The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam! Empty The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam!

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep - 23:04

One would think that is what happened two years ago with Serena, in her semifinal with Clijsters, WAS an honest, "one off," atypical happening, that it would not occur again. That it would be of such importance that whatever steps necessary would be taken by her, to make sure it didn't EVER happen again. Not so.

Yet, here we were, watching Serena's unsportsman like behaviour, followed by an ugly, nasty, bitter tirade, to the Chair Umpire.

One wishes now, that she HAD been banned from the game for a year, or two. Yes, all the players want it bad; yes, all the players get frustrated, yes, all the players have difficult moments, emotional moments and it's not always easy to conceal one's emotions.

Well done Sam! A gracious, talented hard working woman, who played with skill, determination, accuracy and...get ready for this....calm reserve. It would have been a delight to watch her win her first Major singles title anyway, but how much sweeter was this.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam! Empty Re: The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam!

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep - 23:09

Congratulations to Stosur! Is she the first aussie women to win a slam?

wow

Back to top Go down

The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam! Empty Re: The Ugly American, on 9/11 of ALL days - well done Sam!

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep - 23:13

Huh? Margaret Court won 24 Major singles. Goolagong, Chris O'Neill, Mandlikova (Czech import for her last Major singles title)

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep - 23:15

Isn't Goolagong an Aborigine rather than an Australian..??
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep - 23:17

yloponom68 wrote:Huh? Margaret Court won 24 Major singles. Goolagong, Chris O'Neill, Mandlikova (Czech import for her last Major singles title)

That was a genuine question.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep - 23:19

Nothing but info in my reply really...no worries mate!

Goolagong would be the first to tell you she IS, and very proud to BE, an Austrlian; you are also correct with her ethinicity - also a very, very proud Aborigine.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep - 23:21

...and the first non Caucasian woman to be World No 1 in tennis, and the 2nd ever, behind Christine Marie Evert.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep - 23:25

Aborigine is different than being Australian... do black people in England consider themselves English? No they wouldn't, they'd say they are British..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Sun 11 Sep - 23:28

Are you smoking something you grow over there Josiah?

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep - 23:32

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Aborigine is different than being Australian... do black people in England consider themselves English? No they wouldn't, they'd say they are British..

By that token, I assume that there's no such thing as Australian, since surely all 'Australians' must consider themselves as English, Scottish, Polish, Serbian, Korean etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sun 11 Sep - 23:37

Was she born in Australia? If so, I think for the sake of a tennis discussion we can call her Australian.

Any discussion on the ethnicity of Aboriginals, should be conducted in the Off Topic section.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep - 23:37

Had Goolagong not had the success she did the citizens of Australia (not the tribes) wouldn't be calling her an Australian, pretty much how Murray is called British when he is winning; and Scottish when he is losing... it's a subculture thing..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep - 23:39

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Had Goolagong not had the success she did the citizens of Australia (not the tribes) wouldn't be calling her an Australian, pretty much how Murray is called British when he is winning; and Scottish when he is losing... it's a subculture thing..

That's waht you think. Englsih do not support Andy because of his remark during world cup football. And English who support Andy supports him for his talent and for nothing else.

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep - 23:39

ok Enforcer; but did you know that the name Australia was given it by Portuguese/Spanish sailors... just saying!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep - 23:40

"Aborigine is different than being Australian..."

Indeed it is, but they are not mutually exclusive.

An aborigine copule may move to Zimbabwe and then have a family, they marry other aborigines, have families - those children are aborigine, and...wait for it....not Austrlian but....Zimbabwean! It's not complicated really, it's not...

As far as black people in England, I guess it would depend on where they were born, their parents were born and so on - because maybe they're just on holiday??

Also, just so it's clear....someone who is born and bred in England, may well consider themselves British - they are! They are also English.

And I say to myself, what a wonderful world....

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by wow Sun 11 Sep - 23:40

Josiah Maiestas wrote:ok Enforcer; but did you know that the name Australia was given it by Portuguese/Spanish sailors... just saying!

How is that relevant to this discussion Doh

wow

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sun 11 Sep - 23:41

I didn't actually, but as I said probably not the place to discuss it!

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 11 Sep - 23:42

Goolagong calls HERSELF Australian...seems like there's a whole lot of something else going on there...??

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep - 23:43

Goolagong calls HERSELF Australian...seems like there's a whole lot of something else going on there...??
Yes...white Australian propaganda!
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Sun 11 Sep - 23:46

Josiah, I know I said this isn't the place. But if someone is born in Australia and calls herself Australian there isn't really a debate to be had.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep - 23:46

I know exactly where Josiah is coming from..

The mistreatment of Aborigines..

I agree with your sentiments.

But it's just a personal viewpoint, don't wish to turn this into a political debate Run

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun 11 Sep - 23:49

What can I say: poor America, a giant mass of idiots concentrated in the borders of what was once a great country. No surprise that even tennis there is hitting an all time low..... grotesque!
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 11 Sep - 23:50

eman...I was only seeing how many would bite the bait thumbsup Whistle
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 11 Sep - 23:51

Josiah Maiestas wrote:eman...I was only seeing how many would bite the bait thumbsup Whistle

Hug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down