The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf and the iPhone

+13
little_bit_of_draw
Mercurio
MustPuttBetter
drive4show
Nellie
McLaren
LadyPutt
SmithersJones
sharrison01
Marcus
Davie
HiGun
LondonJonnyO
17 posters

Go down

Golf and the iPhone Empty Golf and the iPhone

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:27 pm

I have a new toy that I'm playing with... And I'm wondering what useful little apps there are out there for it.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Golf and the iPhone Empty Re: Golf and the iPhone

Post by HiGun Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:38 pm

Hi, the PGA tour app is good for scores, player profiles etc. The Euro tour version is not great, worth a look but is slow to update scores etc. The Ping app is ok too if you use Ping gear. The player apps Rory, LW etc are not great and try and charge for content so I wouldnt bother with them.
There are various Sat Nav type apps for telling distance to greens etc, which I have heard are quite accurate but run the battery down very quickly and anyway who wants to wondering about the course with their phone in their hand, not me!!
Hope thats helps

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:39 pm

sat nav is fine... but a bit inaccurate for me. Might use it once in a while for course maps or something.

Not going to follow any players.

Might look at the scoring apps. And have download the Rules App from the R&A.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:44 pm

Disappointing there aren't any decent apps for Blackberry (unless anyone knows better?)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by HiGun Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:47 pm

The Open has a good one with updates leading up to the event then live scoring etc, The Masters does a similar one which is quite good too. Both Free so why not...

HiGun

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcus Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:50 pm

PGA tour app is good. The Major apps are usually decent.

The European Tour app is pathetic.

All the others are even worse.

Marcus

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 24 Feb 2011, 1:56 pm

Davie, I was also wondering about the Blackberry. Be good to get some good golf applications on a "man's" phone...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

The AA Golf Guide for 2010 is free and looks like it might be useful.

Have to wonder if there is something like that listing Open comps somewhere.

And the blackberry is a girls phone. It comes in pink now which clearly devalues it entirely!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 24 Feb 2011, 2:34 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:The AA Golf Guide for 2010 is free and looks like it might be useful.

And the blackberry is a girls phone. It comes in pink now which clearly devalues it entirely!

I'd have thought you'd have seen that as a plus, LJ, it'd match your grips!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 2:35 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:The AA Golf Guide for 2010 is free and looks like it might be useful.

:lol:

actually the iPhone 4 was offered to me for 20 quid and no increase in my monthly bill... so it was a no brainer really. Signal is a lot stronger than my old Samsung as well.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 24 Feb 2011, 2:59 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

:lol:

actually the iPhone 4 was offered to me for 20 quid and no increase in my monthly bill... so it was a no brainer really. Signal is a lot stronger than my old Samsung as well.

Strong signal? iPhone 4? Do you work in a microwave factory or something?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:02 pm

No... It was terrible at first but recently T-Mobile gave me a signal "T-Mobile Orange."

It rarely falls any lower than 70% of full. And when it does it's usually in the middle of some glass and concrete monstrosity of a building.

I did put a rubberised case on it to stop me touching the aerial when I'm using it... but even then I still get a full signal at home when my Samsung was dropping constantly.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:08 pm

Heres an interesting one... I'm going to download Jack Nicklaus Golf my Way this evening.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:26 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:Heres an interesting one... I'm going to download Jack Nicklaus Golf my Way this evening.

I had the video of that, probably still have somewhere. There's a really cool slow motion sequence of him hitting a drive, and the tee peg comes spinning upwards and catches the clubhead at the very top of his follow through.

God I'm a golf geek.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:29 pm

SmithersJones wrote:
LondonJonnyO wrote:Heres an interesting one... I'm going to download Jack Nicklaus Golf my Way this evening.

I had the video of that, probably still have somewhere. There's a really cool slow motion sequence of him hitting a drive, and the tee peg comes spinning upwards and catches the clubhead at the very top of his follow through.

God I'm a golf geek.

:laugh1:

Admission of the above makes it ok however... The first step is acknowledging there is a problem after all. thumbsup
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:30 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:

God I'm a golf geek.

:laugh1:

Admission of the above makes it ok however... The first step is acknowledging there is a problem after all. thumbsup

Hi, my name's SJ and I'm a golf geek. It's been 3 days since I holed a putt.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:33 pm

There you go. Problem solved and now you can go watch a bad leslie neilsen golf vid. :laugh1:
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:52 pm

There's a website called Golf Empire (www.golfempire.co.uk) which gives details of Opens and other tournaments all over the country. Not sure if it has an app though - I'm not into those modern things. I just use my phone to make calls. What a sweet old-fashioned thing I am!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 3:55 pm

I use the golf empire one every once in a while LP... but find it a bit of a nightmare to navigate. And some of these apps are a lot better than their counterpart website I'm finding.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 24 Feb 2011, 5:29 pm

LadyPutt wrote:There's a website called Golf Empire (www.golfempire.co.uk) which gives details of Opens and other tournaments all over the country. Not sure if it has an app though - I'm not into those modern things. I just use my phone to make calls. What a sweet old-fashioned thing I am!

That makes two of us.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Nellie Thu 24 Feb 2011, 7:37 pm

I use the golf gps free app. Just so I can keep all my stats for the rounds together and have a little cry at the results afterwards. Cry

Nellie

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 24 Feb 2011, 9:49 pm

I read in an equipment review recently that Cobra are bringing out an app to help you set up their new driver! :doh1:

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Thu 24 Feb 2011, 10:01 pm

drive4show wrote:I read in an equipment review recently that Cobra are bringing out an app to help you set up their new driver! :doh1:

I shall be steering clear of that particular driver and app!

Now I wonder if there is one available for the R7?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Mon 28 Feb 2011, 11:36 am

The GolfShot app is the best version of the SatNav and costs £17.99. It's actually quite accurate but does drain the battery quickly. It'll last a round of golf though, just don't expect to make many calls until you get home.
If you're not interested in the SatNav you can download the non SatNav version which is i think around £2 and is pretty good for recording scores. It'll give you stats on your GIR, driving accuracy, putts per hole, putts per GIR, scrambling etc. Useful

I'm looking for something that can record distances if you plug them in but am yet to find it
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 01 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:The GolfShot app is the best version of the SatNav and costs £17.99. It's actually quite accurate but does drain the battery quickly. It'll last a round of golf though, just don't expect to make many calls until you get home.

Just get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logic3-WIP046-Rechargeable-Battery-iPodTouch/dp/B001XURLQM

I've got one (I've got two actually!) - they recharge your phone up to around 85-90% of battery capacity. If you switch it on before you start the round, the phone will probably be still at 100% by the time you get off the course.

Plus it looks good and it protects the phone.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Fri 04 Mar 2011, 8:51 am

MustPuttBetter wrote:The GolfShot app is the best version of the SatNav and costs £17.99. It's actually quite accurate but does drain the battery quickly. It'll last a round of golf though, just don't expect to make many calls until you get home.
If you're not interested in the SatNav you can download the non SatNav version which is i think around £2 and is pretty good for recording scores. It'll give you stats on your GIR, driving accuracy, putts per hole, putts per GIR, scrambling etc. Useful

I'm looking for something that can record distances if you plug them in but am yet to find it

you can also buy golfplan which is an additional app that suppliments golf shot. it tracks all of your rounds and suggests areas that need work and the areas that youre doing well in. it is presented by paul azinger and he shows you through a series of videos how to master different shots. very useful if youre a stat head!

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:46 pm

I got an iPad2 today and the Golfshot App is amazing on it. I need to come up with a way to fix it to the trolley!

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 19 Oct 2011, 8:48 pm

A friend of mine was showing me the iPhone 4S tonight - including the coice recognition thing

Gimmicky, but from a purely technical point of view, VERY impressive

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:27 pm

Davie wrote:A friend of mine was showing me the iPhone 4S tonight - including the coice recognition thing

Gimmicky, but from a purely technical point of view, VERY impressive

I assume you're talking about Siri. I got one of those today, too.

Yup, it's fun to say "Text Jonny 'He's a bell end'" and the phone goes ahead and does it. At least for the first five times you do it, it's funny.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:48 pm

Nice to see an LJ thread revived, shame he's not back on here yet. Have to say not a fan of apple gear, unless its a nice granny smiths.

However what features does the golf shot app on the iPad have its Crimbo soon and despite my dislike of apple I may be persuaded to ask santa if i've been a good Mav

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 19 Oct 2011, 9:58 pm

Maverick wrote:Nice to see an LJ thread revived, shame he's not back on here yet. Have to say not a fan of apple gear, unless its a nice granny smiths.

However what features does the golf shot app on the iPad have its Crimbo soon and despite my dislike of apple I may be persuaded to ask santa if i've been a good Mav

It has all the same features as what's on the iPhone but it's all on one page which means you can now press on "Front Bunker 215 yards" and it will move the marker to the point on the photo/map. It also looks clearer and very neat. You need to see it to see what I mean.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:01 pm

Sounds like a handy tool to have, admittedly you couldn't have a iPad on the trolley withou looking a total tool. But the amount of sractch events I'm planning to play next year itcould come in handy to plan out course mangement options in advance. Every little helps

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:07 pm

Maverick wrote:Sounds like a handy tool to have, admittedly you couldn't have a iPad on the trolley withou looking a total tool. But the amount of sractch events I'm planning to play next year itcould come in handy to plan out course mangement options in advance. Every little helps

Here you go:

http://tinypic.com/r/b6oifo/7

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Wed 19 Oct 2011, 10:32 pm

Cheers Merc, looks a winner may have to invest, how much are the lilypads going for these days. May sweet talk Mrs Mav into buying me one, that way if she treats me to it can't get moaned at for spending more money on something purely for golfing reasons

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:04 pm

LJ is still alive and well and living on Facebook. D4S and I have a bit of banter with him occasionally. I've tried to tempt him back here but someone seems to have p****d him off well and truly. Pity - I'd have liked to have seen his response to Keizo's latest load of poo.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:32 pm

Mav i was thinking to myself that buying an ipad just for this app was a bit excessive... until i saw Merc's photo. it really does look top notch!
ill have to buy the iphone version.
slightly off topic and dont know if there is any truth to it but a mate of mine mentioned that using iphone apps on the course can actually be against the rules- the reason being that there is a compass on the iphone and this is illegal(?)
this might be one for the "tall tales" thread Smile

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

hend

I have an android phone so can't comment on what's built into the iphone but I can confirm:

You CANNOT use a device that measures wind or elevation changes and I suspect, direction too although not 100% sure about that.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 20 Oct 2011, 1:46 pm

Hend i believe that's correct not only because of the compass but more because you can get apps that claim to read putts etc...
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

Welcome back LJ Smile

iPhone apps I use
Weatherpro and weatherforgolf (do I need my brolly & waterproofs today!!)
Swing reader & Golf Coach (both are ok but you really need a buddy on the range or course to record you). You can play it back frame by frame and see the awful habits you have in your swing.

The other app I have is the iPing, it's free but the cradle to hold the phone on the shaft of your putter is £20 (for a bit of plastic worth about 50p)
End result though is that you have a device which tells you how much you arc the putter. What your impact angle is (compared to your address angle). Also tells you what your putting tempo is. Brilliant tool if for no other reason than it's making me spend a LOT more time on the practice putting green.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 20 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

JAS i use iSwing and find that a bit user more friendly than SwingReader. Can't warm to the look of SwingReader for some reason
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:02 pm

hend085 wrote:Mav i was thinking to myself that buying an ipad just for this app was a bit excessive... until i saw Merc's photo. it really does look top notch!
ill have to buy the iphone version.
slightly off topic and dont know if there is any truth to it but a mate of mine mentioned that using iphone apps on the course can actually be against the rules- the reason being that there is a compass on the iphone and this is illegal(?)
this might be one for the "tall tales" thread Smile

I thought initially buyin an iPad was a crock fullstop until I saw that app pics! I will see if I can get anything for my laptop if not iPad it is, however it will get used anyway as mrs Mav will play with it and no doubt Mavette will have it wifi'd up to thw stereo!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

I use iSwing as well, really like the ability to SloMo the frames backwards and forwards.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:35 pm

Ditto D4S
Scares the life out of you when you see your first move is to break the wrists and get WAY on the inside! Ha ha
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:37 pm

Maybe I should buy an iphone if these apps are so good

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:38 pm

Mav, for some reason i can't see Merc's pic of GolfShot on the iPad but i have it on the iPhone and it's useful on there. I'd imagine it does all the same stuff on the phone
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:46 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Ditto D4S
Scares the life out of you when you see your first move is to break the wrists and get WAY on the inside! Ha ha

OMG when did you see my swing?? Shocked

That is exactly the problem I'm trying to rectify just now.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Thu 20 Oct 2011, 3:54 pm

drive4show wrote:OMG when did you see my swing?? Shocked

That is exactly the problem I'm trying to rectify just now.

Scary, me too!
I used to have a big slice so now, subconciously as much as anything, i make a big effort to get on the inside. Far too much it turns out! The first move of my swing is to actually break my wrists. Not good. As a consequence rather than getting anywhere near parallel at the top i have the shaft pointing almost to the guy in the bay to the right of me?! Ha
Trying at the mo to work on getting it away more steeply. This is where the phone comes in useful, because i've been working on it and was making a change that felt miles different to me, got the Mrs to record it on iSwing.......looks exactly the same as before!!
A way to go yet.......... steam
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu 20 Oct 2011, 8:32 pm

Golfshot's issued an update today.

I haven't looked at it in full but it appears it will now be able to track every yardage of every shot you play and provide you with an average distance for every club.

Interesting development . . .

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 25 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

drive4show wrote:hend

I have an android phone so can't comment on what's built into the iphone but I can confirm:

You CANNOT use a device that measures wind or elevation changes and I suspect, direction too although not 100% sure about that.

my course has banned use of mobile phones as DMD for this reason. Also you can use it for weather... temperature, wind speed and direction etc.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down