The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there!

+17
munkian
Pal Joey
HammerofThunor
emack2
Gibson
blackcanelion
Taffineastbourne
maestegmafia
andy powells minder
mckay1402
RubyGuby
Cymroglan
doctornickolas
beshocked
Comfort
kiakahaaotearoa
Biltong
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there! Empty Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there!

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Sep - 19:38

During the past few weeks as one of only a handful of South Africans on 606v2, I had to endure a lot of bloggers, fans, coaches and media state that the most likely upset could be a Welsh win over South Africa.

During this time I had to not only defend my team, regardless of issues about our preparation for the world cup, but also that our players are aging, out of form and their poor results for the past two years.

Wales in contrast has had a relatively good warm up during the winter tests, beating both Argentina and England, so rightfully the pundits and media alike suggested based on all these factors that Wales would be the team to cause an upset in the opening weekend.

It was a tough match, and with 60% of possession and territory Wales fans were gutted when South Africa under enormous pressure to come back from 10-16 down, to clinch a match winning try.

So call it luck, call it execution, or call it missed opportunities, the match is in the record books and Wales has to stand up and face Samoa in their next pool match.

There are two schools of thought here.

There are those that believe based on the performance Samoa put up against Australia during their warm ups, that they are motivated and too physical for Wales to contend with. Add to that the fact that they sat back on the opening weekend to assess their opponents.

The other school of thought comes from the Wales camp and supporters, and a few others including myself that Wales with their preparation, their very good performance against South Africa should be able to put Samoa way.

In my opinion Wales should be able to use the hard work they have put in to create and sustain structure on attack and defence to good use against Samoa. However there are areas which they might want to have a look at. Firstly although they were able to break the line during the second half in between Morne Steyn and Fourie du Preez, that weakness in defence will not be found in the Samoa back line. On the contrary, the physicality of the Samoa back line is likely to put pay to any thoughts of breaching the defence in that manner. Wales did not manage to get the SA defence in disarray due to the ball being cleaned out to slow by Phillips and if they want to catch the defensive organisation of Samoa out, they will have to speed up the clearing and be somewhat more direct in their approach, going side to side against Samoa as they did against SA will only result in them again losing ground with multi phase plays. Defensively Wales will have to make sure they front up physically to the Samoans, if they don’t it will be a hard day in the office, and I am sad to say, the ease that Jaque Fourie had of dispatching Shane Williams on his way to the try line should convince Gatland too put Halfpenny on the wing.

Shane at best should be seen as an impact replacement when legs get tired.

I would like to say to the welsh good luck in their match, and to their supporters, do not get all sensitive when bloggers provide an opinion that Samoa might win, because in reality if you do not improve in the areas as above, it could be a long day in the office.

Remember the pressure will be on your boys, if they lose this one, they are out.

The shoe is on the other foot, and I know exactly how you must be feeling.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there! Empty Re: Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there!

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Sep - 19:45

Certainly no panic stations for Wales. Unlike other pools, a quarter final match up between Australia and England doesn´t make a great deal of difference to Wales should they come second in the pool. Both teams present certain difficulties for the Welsh but in a way, the Australian team offers Wales the best chance of success in that their forwards can possibly get dominance in the tight exchanges.

That said, SA should be wary of thinking they´ve got past the biggest hurdle. And Wales will have to bring their game up to the level of last Sunday if they´re going to put away the Samoans.

But certainly Welsh fans should have their heads up. They need two good results against Fiji and Samoa and then they can look to the quarters. Still everything to play for.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there! Empty Re: Good luck to all Wales supporters, hang in there!

Post by Comfort Tue 13 Sep - 19:46

Good post Bill, maybe maybe all us saffa's and welsh can be friends again now kiss

Perhaps we could be called Waffas, of Soyos.

I've mentioned it before, but if we dont back-up that performance against all 3 of our remaining pool opponents, then that almost performance will be forgotten by the time the plane lands at home.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Sep - 19:56

Sorry, Comfort I am still busy with the healing process, My feelings was hurt real bad, those past few weeks has been mentally draining and my therapist says I need to work through my feelings, this is step one, only.

But I will let you know when we can all be friends again, in the meantime have a Hug
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 13 Sep - 20:11

I understand Bill, Jack is my therapist, he always goes down smooth.

If it makes you feel any better, SA won, Wales reverted to 'plucky losers' and now face the daunting prospect of the Pacific Islanders, thus natural equilibrium is restored.

Perhaps we'll see you again further on in the tournament! raspberry

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Sep - 20:13

Well to be honest, even on that performance of wales, I would prefer to play you in the final rather than Oz. Shocked
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 13 Sep - 20:19

Wales - The nearly men of World Rugby. On their day, they can beat anyone, but they're usually just missing the top 2 inches. Sad

South Africa - The thugs of World Rugby. Taught from birth they must only kick and chase the ball, no passing or silky running, rugbys a mans game afterall. Wink

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 13 Sep - 20:20

kiakahatooeara

I thought that the winner and runner up of Wales' and South Africa's pools are going to face Ireland/Italy or Australia.

England/Scotland/Argentina will face either New Zealand or France.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Tue 13 Sep - 20:23

I think you make some very valid points.

Shane for me has had his day. I agree he would be a very good impact sub for the last 15 or so mins against tired legs, but at the moment I would also prefer to see Halfpenny on the field. Shane is now doing what Byrne has done for a few years, which is scare me every time he has the ball.

Against Samoa, we need to play a bit quicker and a bit smarter. We must keep it tight early doors, make sure we scrum well and win our own lineouts and compete on theirs. Keep them pinned in their own half as well.

The last thing we want is a 7's contest. Lets pressurise the set piece and breakdown, get penalties and kick them over to build a lead first.

I think this Wales team is made of better stuff than teams gone by and I am very confident of getting the win.

What I would like to see is 4 tries as well and I don't really care if that's from a driving maul or lineout, a scrum or a free flowing move.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 13 Sep - 20:23

Neither South Africa or Wales are through yet and Samoa will be gunning for both of us.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Sep - 20:36

Winner of Pool C vs runner up of Pool D
Winner of Pool A vs runner up of Pool B
Winner of Pool D vs runner up of Pool C
Winner of Pool B vs runner up of Pool A are the quarter finalists.

Likely, but not definitely going to be Australia vs Wales
NZ vs Scotland/Argentina
South Africa vs Ireland
England vs France

Pool D arguably has the biggest impact on the draw. France would be England´s wish though by no means a given for them. Ireland would fancy themselves against SA but would certainly prefer Wales. Wales will be happy enough with Australia though would certainly prefer Ireland and nobody at this stage will want to meet NZ.

So a lot still to be played for.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 13 Sep - 20:37

Well Kia, I personally would like to meet New Zealand. I think it would be great to spend a day with them. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Sep - 20:40

Ah I see what you mean Beshocked. Sorry I meant a possible game between Ireland and Australia is not that much of a difference. Obviously Wales would prefer Ireland as they have a better record against them than Oz but it´s better than the difference between the Pool C and Pool D match-ups.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Sep - 20:41

Well with a bit of luck you´ll get to spend a day with us in the semis mate. Just a day mind you. Whistle

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Sep - 20:46

I need a drink! That should´ve read the difference between playing NZ and France from Pool A is a worse prospect than the difference between playing Australia and Ireland from Pool C in terms of Wales´chances of getting a victory.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 13 Sep - 20:51

Mapasua is a cracking player but I believe we will be able to punch holes in the Samoan midfield, the key then is retaining posession and being quicker to the breakdown - we need to be organised and move the Samoans around the field in a structured way going through phase after phase with composure - taking the penaltys and grinding out a lead and hopefully a victory. The Samoans will tire in the last 20 so we have to keep our composure here as the game will be won with our heads and not our hearts. Discipline will also be key thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Sep - 21:00

Biltong

Good analysis. I think there are times when Wales need to take it right up the middle in pods but they never seem to do it. For me this is why they go from side to side. They need to suck the forwards in. At times against SA the Bokke had literally no forwards in a ruck that had 4/5 welshmen on the ground out of play.

Sam needs to look at situations like that and say "right we're going into their guts for a bit". Against Samoa the backs defence will be organised so we'll have to go and beat up their forwards in order to get them on the back foot. With ball carriers like Warbs, Lyds and Faletau we should be able to create a bit of space. It's all about being patient
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 13 Sep - 21:11

kiakahaaotorea I would say from Wales' perspective they would much prefer to play Ireland than Australia.

Based on pretty much everything - rankings,current form,world cup pedigree etc. There is a clear difference in my opinion.

Is it comparatively easier than the choice of NZ and France? Yes.

Australia will be tougher than France though.

Saying that though Wales should be firmly fixed on their next game against Samoa.

Wales don't just need to beat Samoa, they need to make sure they escape the match unscathed. I thought they were fortunate not to lose a player vs South Africa because of the physicality.

This pool is going to leave battered Welsh bodies by the end in my opinion.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Tue 13 Sep - 21:16

true about the battered bodies, but methinks the exuberence of youth and where they are will really tell in the remaining pool games...........................I hope

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 13 Sep - 21:17

Kia

I know what you mean. Wales would prefer to play Aus or Ire than NZ or Fra. I totally agree. I think Wales stand a decent chance against either Aus or Ire. Aus will certainly have pricked up their ears after that Wales display...having said that they should still be expected to beat us
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue 13 Sep - 21:20

Well definitely Wales would prefer Ireland but what I meant was that Wales should still think that they can beat the Wallabies, especially if they front up in the forwards. And injuries will be a key concern but if they do get through this group they will be battle hardened as well as having a lot of bruises. Apart from Ireland, Australia don´t have too much to write home about in their pool so they may be a bit underdone come the quarters.

But the focus should indeed be the Samoa game. On paper, Wales should win but this is as close to a home World Cup Samoa will get and so far their big away performances in the RWC have been a long way from home.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by andy powells minder Tue 13 Sep - 21:29

It would be nice to see the Coopster welcoming Toby and co. down his channel, if he stays there!! Very Happy

andy powells minder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Sep - 3:48

Great game on Saturday...!

wales played well but lost the game in all areas in the last ten minutes. They lost the patient phase play they had easily controlled SA with before and the rails fell off.

Mind you we have a weakened team and are waiting on a few players to make up the numbers.

Well said BTB

but Wales are a good side and we all knew they could run SA hard, as they had in the last few matches against them.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 14 Sep - 4:46

Having scored 1 point less than SA I fail to see how Samoa and Fiji do not pose pretty much equal challenges to both SA and Wales.Nothing is sorted just yet and I would urge SA fans not to get ahead of themselves.The games afoot.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Wed 14 Sep - 4:50

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Well definitely Wales would prefer Ireland but what I meant was that Wales should still think that they can beat the Wallabies, especially if they front up in the forwards. And injuries will be a key concern but if they do get through this group they will be battle hardened as well as having a lot of bruises. Apart from Ireland, Australia don´t have too much to write home about in their pool so they may be a bit underdone come the quarters.

But the focus should indeed be the Samoa game. On paper, Wales should win but this is as close to a home World Cup Samoa will get and so far their big away performances in the RWC have been a long way from home.
France are the one side that I fear.Wales can compete with everyone else but the French when they press the turbo can be breathtaking.I have a good feeling Wink

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Sep - 7:34

Taffineastbourne wrote:Having scored 1 point less than SA I fail to see how Samoa and Fiji do not pose pretty much equal challenges to both SA and Wales.Nothing is sorted just yet and I would urge SA fans not to get ahead of themselves.The games afoot.

well said.

SA hardly looked any better than equal to Wales at their very best. So I can not see how anyone in SA could be less concerned than the Welsh about their forth coming matches against the PI teams in the group.

Wales, Fiji, samoa and SA all look good sides and all are as likely as each other o go through to the next round.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 9:07

You can't understand why they'd be less concerned than Wales? Because the won, and we lost. And, also, they wouldn't expect either Fiji or Samoa to win all of their games, including Wales, even if they did lose to them. That's why they're confident, because, without being disrespectful to what are two very good teams, the toughest test for them in the group stage has been passed.

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Wed 14 Sep - 9:32

I think wales is in the driving seat. Don't get me wrong Samoa and Fiji are capable of winning. having been dealt by far the hardest draw of the UK and Ireland teams, they do have the draw and referee appointments in their favour.

They face Samoa only a 4 days after Samoa play Namibia. that's a big task, made more difficult for the Samoans in that they have chosen to play their top team. Similarly, they play Fiji on the last weekend, following a game against namibia, whilst Fiji play Samoa. So in terms of prep they have have got a significant advantage.

The other key point is they have Rolland for the first match and Barnes for the second. This is a huge advantage for Wales, it should give them a significant advantage in the overall penalty count and the speed of both their and the opposition ball from the ruck.

I think Wales should win both games. The only caveatse might be the ref review from the first round and home advantage.

I expect that Barnes will face some hard questions, not about the penalty kick, but around his consistency and management of the ruck (which was described as a swimming pool by some South African players - so many players were diving in). Seeing as he is managing the Fiji game we should have a better idea.

The games are in Hamilton, a short drive from South Auckland. I'd expect the samoan game in particluar to a home ground for Samoa, It may be the only time they get their top side effectively playing at home. Who knows what effect that will have.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 14 Sep - 9:44

Billtong,
You are missing the bleedin obvious here. Samoa could so easily take your team. And for that, the whole World would rejoice. Its not what it was. It's ageing and may be missing Matfield and Botha. Without them...

Look inside. Not outside.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 14 Sep - 10:07

This group,and Englands are the most unpredictable,every one was rubbishing Tonga.Before there spirited show versus the All Blacks,they gave the Boks the hurry up in 2007.
Truth is no side is easy as has been shown to date,Fiji lead your group
currently.Fiji and Samoa are no pushovers as Wales will remember from 2007.
If they take the positives from the first match,BOTH sides should qualify,get cocky however.BOTH sides could go out unlikely buy Hey,its a RWC,I wonder what odds you could get for a Samoa v Japan final.
A fairy story true but one year it may just happen

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep - 13:33

Gibson wrote:Billtong,
You are missing the bleedin obvious here. Samoa could so easily take your team. And for that, the whole World would rejoice. Its not what it was. It's ageing and may be missing Matfield and Botha. Without them...

Look inside. Not outside.

Gibson a few facts.

We have already established the world will rejoice at any loss by the Springboks - That is bleeding obvious
Your record against Samoa is in fact much poorer than ours - That is bleeding obvious
Wales 4 wins, Samoa 3 wins - That is bleeding obvious
SA 6 wins, Samoa 0 wins, closest match SA by 27 - That is bleeding obvious
Our team is ancient, over the hill, shouldn't be here - that is bleeding obvious
We can still improve a lot on our peformance against Wales - That is bleeding obvious
This thread is about Wales vs Samoa - THAT TOO is bleeding obvious.
You don't like South Africa - THAT TOO is bleeding obvious.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 14 Sep - 13:39

Gibson is Irish.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep - 14:01

THAT was not so bleeding obvious Very Happy
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 14 Sep - 14:35

Biltong,
I love South Africa. God's Country. Have great Saffer mates over here. Just dislike the cynical, Paddy Da Villiers run, contrived team.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 14 Sep - 15:12; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep - 14:42

JDV is but a mere inside centre he doesn't run SA rugby, I assume you are talking of PDV.
I asked you a few days ago what do you see as cynical, but as yet you haven't responded.

If you mean cynical PDV, then I Can't agree, he is unimaginative and out of his depth, and to hope SA lose because of him, now that is cynical
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 14:54

Got a good laugh at the notion Jean de Villiers is running some despotic regime in the South African squad. Simmer down Gibbo...

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 14 Sep - 15:03

PDV/JDV Typo. Who cares? The point remains the same.

Samoa just hammered Namibia at a canter ... 6 tries. The plot thickens for Wales especially. Samoa to top the Group? Now wouldn't that be fun folks?

Miaow, have some Irish cream. guinness

Where's the RWC Romance? I'm not being anti SA or Wales. Just pro Samoa. And Fiji. Everyone outside Wales and SA is too.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 15:17

Gibbo, I think you must be out of practice with offering your Irish cream to a Cat. Nothing to be ashamed about. Just...awkward. And not surprising it has to be accompanied by alcohol... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 14 Sep - 15:21

Well if it helps you any... But I doubt it will. Are you the same eejit who used post tripe on 606? Please tell me you're not.

Id be done for selling pints to a child. Cant have that lad.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 15:23

Are you pished already at this time of the morning? I certainly wouldn't be making any nationalistic and ignorantly stereotypical judgements based on nationality, but what you just wrote made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 14 Sep - 15:34

Drinking coffee son. Yes, it IS you.

Oh dear.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 15:40

Don't call me son. That's just creepy. You're creepy. It sounds like you're grooming me. I feel sick...

Get back on topic, Gibmeister, let's not make this a personal slagging match, this is a rugby board, let's keep it about the rugby. Having seen the Samoa game, there are some areas that Wales really need to be worried about. However, if they move them about by starving them of possession, make them tackle in a way that doesn't mean they can line us up from afar and smash us, they will lose both their energy and discipline, and Wales can kick a lead that means, when it does open up, it won't be a basketball game of tries that Wales lose like Fiji was in '07.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 14 Sep - 15:44

Ok pal. Mea culpa. OK

Best of luck. I thought Wales were brilliant v SA. If that makes any sense. I was screaming for ye and thought ye deserved to win. But Samoa look dangerous for both the top 2.

Like yourself, I just watched them pulverise Namibia. And they didn't even shift into 2nd gear. Its going to get interesting.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 15:51

First half was brilliant. The loss of Tusi Pisi may help Wales, because he looks like the real linchpin in Samoa stepping up into the 'modern' style of rugby, plugging the corners when necessary, and being a top level goalkicker.

Second half was poor from Samoa. It's difficult to tell whether the dominant scrum and lineout will be able to cope with Wales'. Certainly in the scrum Wales should hammer them. It will have to be a different tactical game from Wales; far less kicking, and better goalkicking and taking of chances generally.

Still think the discipline will lose it for Samoa; they got riled so easily against a team who wasn't even competitive. If they are starved of the ball, can see the yellow cards flying and Wales knocking over the three pointers. Not as worried of Samoa as I was fourty minutes into the game, and they're not helped by a four day turnaround between games, but still, Wales will need to play far better than they have in the past in games where they are the favourites.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep - 16:02

Namibia made far too many errors, they had two skew throw ins at the line out and lost another one or two. Their scrum struggled big time and had to get the ball in quickly, they were blown for early engagement and for crooked put ins, Then in the attack they spilled a lot of ball, all Samoa had to do was counter attack, and Namibia was never going to have the defensive organisation to stop them.

The only thing you can read into that game is Samoa has a lot more class than Namibia.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Sep - 16:05

I thought Samoa cruised through the first half obviously and got tired?/sloppy a little towards the end of the second half... but they have some awesome power in there. The discipline thing is not so evident these days. They are a tight unit full of confidence.

Wales are technically a more polished side and will have to dominate the set pieces and play a tactically flawless game to keep the Samoans under control. I think the best approach would be to punch it up the middle as much as possible (very tiring against a monster pack... but could make some progress there) and try to do better than the SA match, converting all opportunities to get over the line and slot the penalty goals and drop goals successfully.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep - 16:08

I disagree about the discipline. I still think it's there to be exploited, especially at the breakdown. If they're struggling to get a look in at the rucks, and with the way Lydiate and Warburton are playing, it's highly likely they may not, they're not going to sit back like SA did, they're going to try and get to the ball by whatever means, and I think Wales can exploit their enthusiasm into points through penalties.

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 14 Sep - 16:12

another thing that was quite obvious, these Samoans look like they have short fuses, if Wales get under their skin, they can milk penalties with indiscipline.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed 14 Sep - 16:30

All I'm saying miaow; is that Samoa are substantially more disciplined than they were 30, 20, 10... even 5 years ago.

I agree they have been slow learners though and all it takes is one brain explosion (or a few) and we could be back in the old times.
So far though, it has not been a significant issue in their recent matches. It could all change against Wales though. Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 14 Sep - 19:04

I still dont get the idea wales are going to be manhandled in this game by the big bad samoans, didnt we just watch Wales outmuscle South Africa for 70 minutes?? Aren't SA a lot better team than Samoa? Shouldnt SA be as worried than Wales about these man-beasts from the pacific islands? I assume thats not being talked about because this is a specific thread? Wink

seems like people are dismissing Wales performance at the weekend. If they play like that again, they'll win, barring an absolutely magnificent performance from Samoa.

Im grumpy today, and dont buy the "ohhh be worried about the big scary samoans" lines being thrown around. We just saw the most powerful performance by welsh forwards ive seen in years. Its the fecking pace of the Samoan backline that worries me, and A Tuilagi (in general).

....just saying. Headscratch

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next