The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince

+2
Dass
Adam D
6 posters

Go down

The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince Empty The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince

Post by Adam D Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:03 pm

I just thought I would try and start a thread about possibly one of the most unusual artists of my lifetime.

The man himself is a musical genius however, his personal life has had a major impact on his career.

After starting out and creating some of the greatest albums of the late 80's, Prince started to unravel in many peoples eyes. He still created some interesting work, but his last truly commercial album was most probably, IMO at least, Graffiti Bridge.

Now this recollection of Princes career is from my personal viewpoint - this is not (like my usual articles) a thoroughly researched (and plagiarized) retelling of his fall from grace but more of a personalised viewpoint.

After the success of his early career, he decided to rebel against his record company and went off the rails.

Through his symbol phase, he lost a lot of fans and for me, I can testify that I stopped listening altogether. He spent many years in the musical wilderness from which I thought there would be no return.

But then the Daily Mail released his Planet Earth album for free. And what an album it was.

For those of you who didnt bother with it, I can tell you that it was actually very, very good.

Here is the opening track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vputb0E08GI

so having listened to it again this morning, it has led me to this thread - a place for you to give your thoughts on the man, the musician and his work.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince Empty Re: The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince

Post by Dass Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Can't say I'm much a fan of anything he's done past 1985, even his pre work I've got an appreciation for his talents at music construction over the actual music itself.

He's certainly made his mark on the industry, influencing many and having the musical talents that shaped not only a particular time period but would have ramifications decades on.

I appreciate his talents but not so much his music and certainly not an artist I could sit and just listen to an album.

Dass

Back to top Go down

The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince Empty Re: The thread formerly known as the thread about Prince

Post by Davie Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:20 am

The fallout with his record company (Sony?) was possibly one of the biggest defining moments of the last 20 years.

Most of his stuff is not really the kind of music I listen to regularly but he is possibly THE greatest musician/composer/showmen of the last 20 years. A natural successor to Freddie perhaps

I recall back in the late 80s being persuaded to go see him live. I'd liked his studio music but thought he was a bit of a creepy little fecker. Needless to say I was totally blown away by his stageshow when I went (against my better judgement at the time)

A talent right up there with Lennon and McCartney, Dylan (though I'm not a Dylan fan I can appreciate the influence he has had on other people), Jagger, Freddie and any other person you can think of from the last 20-30 years.

A Prince stageshow grabs you by the throat from the first moment and doesn't let go. He is no mean guitarist either (some have said he reminds them of Hendrix - I'd say he was better than that)

The later albums are really very good though CDs like Sign of the Times, Lovesexy and Diamonds and Pearls are as good as anything in that genre from the last 20 years

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:42 am

Its amazing Davie that although we disagree on many things, we are actually quite sync'd when it comes to music.

My first concert was Prince and I was dragged along too. It was to promote the Batman album (the "nude tour") and I was blown away how good he was. His Purple Rain guitar solo was incredible.

If you didnt here the Planet Earth album, it really is a cracking listen.

Musically, incredible although he would never compare to Freddie vocally. (who is one of my all time musical heroes)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:24 am

I have been a major Prince fan since I saw Purple Rain at the old Alum Rock cinema in Birmingham. A huge screen - I was totally blown away.
I'd liked his stuff before that (1999, Little Red Corvette) but PR the film made me a lifelong fan.
I first saw him in concert in 1986 - that and the Lovesexy 88 tour were just incredible. Heck, I even went to see Under the Cherry Moon at the cinema!
I have every album and few bootlegs and have seen him live a dozen or so times.
With the amount of product he's produced, sure he's had a few duffers, and he sometimes comes across as daft as a brush and completely out of touch with the real world. But overall I'd rate both his music and his live shows above anyone else in my lifetime.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Solerina Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:35 pm

I can appreciate Prince's talents but I could never get into his music.

I hadn't realised he'd been around so long!

Just been looking on Youtube and struggled to find a song of his I actually like (and also one that hadn't been taken down from the site).

I do like this one 1999

Very interesting thread btw.

Solerina

Back to top Go down

Post by Celtic Warrior Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I have to admit, I'm a fan of Prince.

There is no doubt, he is a little excentric, but then that just makes hiim more interesting.

I remember seeing him performing at a Superbowl halftime show. He was fantastic that night.

Celtic Warrior

http://officerrahl.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down