The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread

+11
Dass
dyrewolfe
Shifty
talkingpoint
Gibson
Crimey
CaledonianCraig
asdral225
ADMIN
theundisputedY2D2
Adam D
15 posters

Go down

Whats your fave?

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap0%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap38%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 6 ]
KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap6%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap13%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 2 ]
KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap0%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap19%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 3 ]
[ 0 ]
KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_lcap24%KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 16

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Empty KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread

Post by Adam D Fri 25 Feb 2011, 11:44 am

I love Star Trek - there I said it.

I love all the movies to varying degrees and most of the series (never got into Voyager or Enterprise though).

So I thought I would open up a debate as to what everyone thought was their favourite Trek movie. I can only put up 10 options, so I will have to drop a few from the list but here we go anyway:

Star Trek - the original cast on their first mission to find V'Ger. the one with the bald chick.

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan - Ricardo Montablanc reprises his role in a truly epic adventure of cat and mouse.

Star Trek III - The search for Spock - like Wheres Wally but with Vulcans. Set on the genesis planet.

Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home - set in 1980's San Francisco - its the one with the Whales.

Star Trek V - the final Frontier - Spocks Half Brother hijacks the enterpirse and goes looking for God {awful plot}

Star Trek VI - The undiscovered Country - Christpher Plummer plays a Klingon hellbent on disrailing peace talks between the Klingons and Federation.

Star Trek Generations - the one where Kirk Dies and Picard takes over

Star Trek First Contact - The Borg are at it again, goiing back in time to take over the earth. Nothing to do with tennis.

Star Trek Nemesis - Another new gen cast one. Cant really remember what happens - doubt you'll vote for it either!

Star Trek 2009 - Reboot by JJ Abrahams - young cast going back to the original characters.

So whats your favourite and why?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Empty Re: KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 25 Feb 2011, 11:59 am

I've got them all on my Lovefilm list, watched Star Trek (Loved it, but there is a lot of padding e.g. they wasted 5 whole minutes of the film on Kirk and Scott travelling to the Enterprise in a pod) and now got the Wrath of Khan at home (seen it before but I'm making sure I'm watching them in order, like nature intended!).

Also seen First Contact, Nemesis & Star Trek 2009 which are brilliant.

I think they're all great to be honest but if I had to pick one (out of those I've seen so far) I think I'll go with the Wrath of Khan.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNN!

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread Empty Re: KHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!! - The Star Trek thread

Post by Adam D Fri 25 Feb 2011, 12:03 pm

you will enjoy this then Y2 - george costanza's Khan

and this

ode to khan

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 25 Feb 2011, 12:08 pm

Cheers Hobo!

Can't get Youtube at work mate but got a 1 o' clock finish today so I'll watch them when I get home.

The Final Frontier sounds utter mince by the way!

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 25 Feb 2011, 12:09 pm

Star Trek VI - The undiscovered Country - Christpher Plummer plays a Klingon hellbent on disrailing peace talks between the Klingons and Federation

Also starring a younger Kim Cattrall looking rather foxy as a Vulcan.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 25 Feb 2011, 12:11 pm

The effects in the film are the worst of the series.

the plot itself isnt bad and there is a fantastic scene at the beginning with Spock, bones and Kirk talking around the campfire.

The ending is woeful due to budgetary reasons. Apparently the ending was supposed to have Kirk face off against a Rock monster - exactly as Tim Allen did in Galaxy Quest!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by asdral225 Wed 16 Mar 2011, 6:46 pm

I am torn between Undiscovered Country and 2009 but finally went with 2009
I could see how the characters developed Kirk, Spock and Bones were very good I'm not too sure about the others but hopefully when the next film is released they may get better
A couple of odd things the destruction of Vulcan I dont think this was ever mentioned in the TV series, an episode called "Amok Time" was based on Vulcan with T'Pau from the Enterprise series in attendance
Chekov didn't turn up until the second series on TV
When Spock hi jacked the Enterprise to return Pike back to the Talos IV from the pilot episode "The Cage", I'm not to sure but I think Kirk and Pike didn't know each other, Pike's connection was with Spock

asdral225
asdral225

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 06 Jun 2011, 8:41 pm

Love all the Trek films and have them all on DVD. My favourite one with great area for laughs is Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home but all highly watchable.

asdral I noticed the discrepancies in the plotlines as well in the Star Trek 10 film but don't be fooled as it is supposed to be set on a different timelinwe with slightly different histories of the characters compared to those portrayed in the TV series - if you can follow that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 06 Jun 2011, 8:52 pm

I've only ever seen the one from 2009, and thought it was a good idea as it gives the chance to create a whole new Star Trek universe while keeping the elements from the tv show, and gives Star Trek to a whole new audience. I find myself genuinly looking forward to the next film.

Funny considering I only ever watched it to see Sylar from Heroes. Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:00 pm

Star Trek II and VI are the best of the series.

Great effects, and great stories. You should check them out Invincible.

The remake was excellent as well, except for having Leonard Nimoy in it, which seemed pointless to me.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:34 pm

Hobo wrote:Star Trek II and VI are the best of the series.

Great effects, and great stories. You should check them out Invincible.

The remake was excellent as well, except for having Leonard Nimoy in it, which seemed pointless to me.

I think that was probably just to try and keep some of the older Star Trek fans happy?

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

A Trekkie blog! Yo.

Dont want to scare anyone, but I have all the movies, all the TV series. ST, DS9, NG... yada yada - on my hoard-disk. And copious amounts of Data on it.

I love Data. But Spock has been my hero for over 30 years now

"The needs of the many... outweigh the needs of the Few... or the One..." zen

Question for ye Trekkie-nerds: When did he change that saying to suit a certain situation?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 5:58 pm

I would guess it was after the radiation exposure at the end of Khan.

Another Trekkie on here - supoib!

I kind of lost interest after DS9 - only caught a few voyagers and no enterprise.

Huge fans of the movies though.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:07 pm

Smort-orse. Give that man a Vulcan biscuit.

Ah Hobo, I was a bit of an aul Trekkie snob and didnt take to the new series easy.

But, I recieved a mind-meld thought-transfer from Spock, which told me...

"Move with the times Gibbo, ya gobshoite!.Open your mind and get with the 24th Century dude"

Or woids to that effect.

BTW man, Im loving your entertainment section on here. It Rocks.

The old Pub on 606 was like it. All kinds of everything in there, but this will get me out of the Pub more. 8)
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:11 pm

you should check out my top 10 comedies thread in the TV section - it took a critical panning!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

Ds9 was my fave of the lot, the continuing war with the dominion plot made it for me

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

DS9 was superbly casted and scripted. Totally agree Hero.

Last edited by Gibson on Wed 08 Jun 2011, 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cos I still cant type after 35 phhokin years of doing it pro, roysh.)
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 07 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

I thought it was very good as well. People judged it on the fact it didnt feel Star Trekkie enough - ie no exploration.

The battle against DS9 at the end was incredible.

Having said all that Khan is still my favourite of all the ST cannon.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:21 pm

I liked the reboot; at first I was sceptical and didn't like the idea of another prequel; however the direction the film took really injected new life into the franchise and I am now quite excited about the future of Trek. I thought the casting was excellent and all the lead actors played their roles superbly - no mean feat considering the shoes they had to fill! All in all a fun and enjoyable adventure that got me waiting on the edge of my seat for the sequel. The fact that they've now established that this is in fact an alternate universe allows for a myriad of possibilities and the subsequent sequels don't need to stick to 'canon'.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:42 pm

I thought that Karl Urban playing Bones was spookily close to Deforest Kelly.

Other than the fact he was big and not skinny!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:33 pm

Karl Urban's mannerisms and expressions were magnificent; apparently it brought Leonard Nimoy to tears on his first viewing of the film. Looking forward to the next one. Smile

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Mon 19 Sep 2011, 7:26 pm

Hero wrote:Ds9 was my fave of the lot, the continuing war with the dominion plot made it for me

I agree I love Ds9, i think the Jem'Hadar are a work of art, the best race in star Trek, though Weyoun isn't far behind!
Rocks and Shoals and To the Death are my favorite episodes.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

@Adam D (Hobo):

Nemesis is the one where the Remans bomb the Romulan senate, create a clone of Picard and build him a fancy ship to take on the Enterprise. I think this was an attempt to have the Dominion declare war on the Federation or something. Jean-Luc and his clone end up playing starship chicken and both ships are destroyed.

Agree with Alyn that DS9 had the best characters (Sisko, Dax, Odo, Quark and Major Kira to name a few) and the more interesting stories.

I think Voyager was probably my second favourite and had some really good episodes. Found Janeway rather irritating at times, but the rest of the cast made up for her.

Enjoyed TNG but thought there was too much emphasis on diplomacy and political correctness (both real-world and in the Trek universe). The original series is very cheesy, but in an enjoyable way.

Think my favourite movie has to be First Contact. Picard vs the Borg Queen, the temptation of Data, Deanna Troi getting drunk, Zefram Cochrane learning he's the man who brought about First Contact...and being scared witless by it.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

I agree with your comments about TNG, Adam, but TNG was made in the 80's and it was in the era of the good guys always win in the end, because they are good guys.
He-Man always won because he had morals and Optimus Prime too!
We didn't really get the "being bad is cool" era until the mid to lae 90's.

I never really took to Voyager much, I'm not really sure what I disliked about it, but maybe it was the lack of familiarity with the aliens, or because everything looked so weak in that part of Space. Lets face it Voyager kicked everyones ass out there apart from the Borg, yet the Borg didn't assimilate these species. Headscratch.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sun 25 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

I wouldn't agree with the principal that the antihero was something that came around in the mid 90's, it had always been around around in the 20th century and in some areas had become quite popular.

In fiction you had both Hannibal Lector and Roland Deschain who both became very popular among mainstream audiences and while Lector can't be classed as a hero of any kind he showed that being bad could be successful. Roland on the other hand was the typical antihero a character portrayal he borrowed from a number of earlier Clint Eastwood film characters (themselves quite popular). You may even want to include Rincewind who while a extremely popular character in modern culture has almost zero hero like qualities its for the exact opposite that many love the character. Those a just a few from the 80's among many more and those weren't even the first, there's plenty that go back to even the 30's an beyond.

There's definitely a place for the archetype hero but its a easy format a lot of the time to replicate but often very hard to get right. Just look at the fantasy genre there's a multitude of authors who have stuck to a time honoured formulae and yet only a handful have ever got it right and another man (David Gemmell) sits above them all. Yet its almost impossible to describe what it is about his books that make them sit above all others of the type when his stories in the end along with characters are very generic.

If TNG had wanted they could have went down a different route but they chose to go the way they did as it was a safer road which is fine. Its a common theme that is no more prevalent now that it was back in the 80's, as such its not an excuse for TNG as far as I'm concerned.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Mon 26 Sep 2011, 11:15 am

All together now!

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand’ring in star-flight
I know
He’ll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 26 Sep 2011, 4:30 pm

AlynDavies wrote:I never really took to Voyager much, I'm not really sure what I disliked about it, but maybe it was the lack of familiarity with the aliens, or because everything looked so weak in that part of Space. Lets face it Voyager kicked everyones ass out there apart from the Borg, yet the Borg didn't assimilate these species. .

To be fair Voyager and her crew got their asses kicked most episodes, only surviving either by fleeing, using their enemies' technology against them or just by being plain sneaky. Federation technology is generally pretty weak compared to that of most other species.

If you get the chance, see the Year of Hell episode - its a pretty good example.

The only reason the Borg didn't assimilate them is because the Doctor figured out a way to use their nanoprobes to defeat Species 8472 and they negotiated a truce.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:07 pm

Spoiler:

KHAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:13 am

dyrewolfe wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:I never really took to Voyager much, I'm not really sure what I disliked about it, but maybe it was the lack of familiarity with the aliens, or because everything looked so weak in that part of Space. Lets face it Voyager kicked everyones ass out there apart from the Borg, yet the Borg didn't assimilate these species. .

To be fair Voyager and her crew got their asses kicked most episodes, only surviving either by fleeing, using their enemies' technology against them or just by being plain sneaky. Federation technology is generally pretty weak compared to that of most other species.

If you get the chance, see the Year of Hell episode - its a pretty good example.

The only reason the Borg didn't assimilate them is because the Doctor figured out a way to use their nanoprobes to defeat Species 8472 and they negotiated a truce.

Ah man, I missed that subtlety. Thank you for pointing it out.

Dem feicin nanoprobes. They'll get ya every time Ted.

Who is your fav, sacricficial offering , who used turn up on the Enterprise every week(Star Trek) ... only to go down to a well dangerous Planet. Never to come back?

This is key. Be careful in your choice. Your very choice, will mark you throughout all Eternity. And beyond. Or some schhit like that.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

I thought it was always the same person...namely Red Shirt Guy (who became Expendable Away Team Member in TNG episodes)?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 03 Oct 2011, 3:34 pm

Spoiler:

red shirt guy

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 03 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

Ah man, red-shirt guy is a kop out. Which one?

I go for Mr Leslie. He died (in a Vampire Cloud) and came back a few times...

Security or secondary engineers, are not the best jobs in ST.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:24 am

Yeah - if you're gonna work on the Enterprise and don't want to get killed in a grisly way on an unknown planet, best be in Catering...

I love the cheeseyness of The Voyage Home, simply because it gave them some great opportunities for one liners and for Bones to get annoyed in a 20th Century hospital!!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 10 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

Not really a Star Trek fan, although thought Star Trek 2009 was pretty good, watched it again over the weekend.

Chris Pine was good as Kirk, as was ya man from Heroes as Spok.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 11 Oct 2011, 3:00 pm

I dunno. ST 2009 had its problems.

First of all, no criticism of Chris Pine, but I didn't think he was that great as Kirk. Not sure any actor could adequately fill Shatner's boots, but I'm sure they could have found someone better. For me, he was just another anonymous pretty-boy you could find starring in any B-movie action flick. Acted more like a teenager with the keys to his first car, than a starship captain. I know Shatner always brought a level of humour to the character, but he also had gravitas and a certain authority too.

Actually think the guy who played Pike was better...had one of the best lines in the film. Just a shame he was too old.

"You father was captain of a starship for 12 minutes and he saved over 800 lives, including yours and your mother's. I dare you to do better..."

Thats got to be a future classic.

Overall it was okay, but I thought the whole plot was a bit weak for a major motion picture. I mean, come on - a time-travelling Romulan miner and his crew, hell-bent on exacting revenge because a future Spock failed to prevent Romulus being destroyed by a supernova? Then again, I suppose you could say the same about the first film and Generations too.

Also thought the opening sequence was way too heavy on the sentiment. I mean, if you're gonna have a guy take control of a starship and perform a kamikaze run on another ship, the absolute LAST thing he should be worrying about is what his newborn son is going to be called.

Wasn't overly impressed with some of the ship interiors either, which looked like disused factories, judging from all the pipework, flappy plastic doors and other things.

Also, what was the deal with the Uhura - Spock romance? I never saw or heard that mentioned any of the other films.

Finally, although necessary due to the plot, I think it was a mistake having Leonard Nimoy in new film that was supposed to be chronicling how the original crew got together. Put yourself in Zach Quinto's shoes. It must've been nerve-wracking enough playing one of the most famous characters in science fiction, without having to act opposite the guy who originally played him for so long.

Anyway, enough complaining. Plus points:

Zach Quinto was brilliant as Spock and Karl Urban was flawless as McCoy - shame he didn't get more screen time. Thought Simon Pegg made a decent job of Scotty, but didn't really get enough screen time to make a big impression.

Loved the seemingly upgraded firepower of the Federation ships. In previous films, you only ever see them fire one phaser or torpedo at a time. Here you get to see both the Kelvin and Enterprise go in all guns blazing.

Another good point was the dialogue. Always either witty, in character or else just very appropriate and generally well done. Saved it from being a poor film IMO.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue 11 Oct 2011, 5:00 pm

Nice post Dyre.

Didn't Spock have a wee bit of a fling with Uhura in the TV series? Not sure. Must check that. I know Kirk gave her a gooser and it changed TV. There was outrage amongst the red-neck KKK faction at the time.

Which was nice.

Last edited by Gibson on Tue 11 Oct 2011, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 11 Oct 2011, 6:23 pm

You have to remember dyre that it's supposedly a completely different timeline so anything that happened in the original TV series or movies didn't happen in this timeline.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Wed 12 Oct 2011, 9:27 am

I actually liked Star Trek: Insurrection, and it was the only Star Trek film I saw at the cinema.

I prefer TNG, so I have gone for First Contact instead as Insurrection wasn't able to fit on the list.

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed 12 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:You have to remember dyre that it's supposedly a completely different timeline so anything that happened in the original TV series or movies didn't happen in this timeline.

Well, I'm no expert on the original series, so I've no idea if they had certain crew members get into relationships with each other.

I should point out, it didn't bother me, so much as surprise me. In the previous films and series, they've always played up Vulcans' control over their emotions and lack of romantic inclinations. I was just a little caught off guard they decided to go the other way this time.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down