The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English National anthem for British athletes

+12
Jimmy Moz
super_realist
EngInAuck
Anthony Treacher
ian_jamsie
Mad for Chelsea
trickstat
md_fan
TwisT
bigjonatkinson
ryanbailey
LuvSports!
16 posters

Go down

English National anthem for British athletes Empty English National anthem for British athletes

Post by LuvSports! Sun 18 Sep 2011, 8:08 pm

Hey sports fans this is my first thread!
I am extremely interested in athletics, in particular the track events, and this year's world championships proved to be a real success once more perhaps not so much for team GB put there were some noteworthy performances from the likes of Mo farah, Hannah England, Phillipes Idowu, Jess Ennis and Dai Greene to name but a few.
My question to you is whether or not a proud, patriotic welshman such as Dai Greene doesn't find it a tad irksome to hear the 'English/British' national anthem during that fantastic moment when an athlete stands at the top of the rostrum knowing that they are the world's best which must be a mesmeric feeling. Perhaps as I am also a rugby fan, and am all too aware of the animosity towards England from the likes of Ireland, Scotland and Wales who enjoy nothing more than stuffing the English, this may not be the case in athletics but if I was of welsh descent maybe hearing that hated 'English' anthem might just taint their victory? I know this probably means nothing as they have just accomplished something sensational but it was just a thought? What do you think? If you agree do you think, like in the commonwealth games, Britain should be divided into separate countries and athletes hear their own national anthems?
Thanks

Last edited by LuvSports! on Sat 03 Dec 2011, 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

English National anthem for British athletes Empty Re: English National anthem for British athletes

Post by ryanbailey Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

??? Rather confused by this post... (lol).... the national anthem of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is 'God save the Queen'.

Why would this be offensive to the welsh/scots or northern irish? It is their national anthem too.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

English National anthem for British athletes Empty Re: English National anthem for British athletes

Post by bigjonatkinson Mon 19 Sep 2011, 2:24 pm

I think the point made is that despite that being the official anthem of the UK, many outside England are averse to it according to their political beliefs (or indeed religious ones).

I can't speak for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, but as an Atheist, Republican Englishman, there are also quite a few in England who disagree with this awful anthem. And don't get me started on the dreary, plodding music!

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by TwisT Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

Land of Hope and Glory?

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

I agree a new cheery anthem would be great. Should be voted on by a referendum involving the entire UK. I'm thinking a jazz number, or maybe Ska might be the way to go.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

Being English (although I consider myself British primarily), I am not keen on the use of "God Save the Queen" by England teams e.g football, rugby. I would prefer "Land of Hope and Glory" or "Jerusalem".

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

didn't they sing "Jerusalem" at the CG instead of "God Save the Queen", though this was for England obviously. The problem is that GSTQ is the national anthem of the UK, so not too sure where this is coming from.

trickstat has a point though, GSTQ for English representative sides isn't great IMO.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:26 pm

Not Jerusalem..

a religious hymn singing abput the 'holy lamb of God'.. no thx

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:52 am

hehe my first replies Very Happy proud moment
so nobody thinks we should do the commonwealth thing and have each individual country in Britain compete at the olympics?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Wed 21 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

Agree with Jerusalem, it makes me sick when they've done it at the cricket. I dont know why they ever changed the commonwealth anthem from Land of Hope and Glory to it.

I'd be all for Land of Hope and Glory being the anthem but that would hinge on our 4 countries being represented seperately, which I wouldnt really want to be honest. I was born in England but my family are from all corners of the UK and I root for all our athletes, not just the English ones!

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

LuvSports! wrote:so nobody thinks we should do the commonwealth thing and have each individual country in Britain compete at the olympics?

No way! We're one country, why should we compete as four?

Agree with Jerusalem, it makes me sick when they've done it at the cricket. I dont know why they ever changed the commonwealth anthem from Land of Hope and Glory to it.

Wasn't there some sort of vote put to the public beforehand, or did I imagine that?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:39 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
Wasn't there some sort of vote put to the public beforehand, or did I imagine that?

Yes there was an online poll.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjonatkinson Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:47 am

tyranny of the majority

bigjonatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Fri 23 Sep 2011, 12:46 pm

Jerusalem was a total disaster in the last commonwealth games.

All the athletes were expecting to sign land of hope and glory, which is a far better tune and song.

A load of ninnies hijacked a vote to get it changed.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Anthony Treacher Mon 24 Oct 2011, 2:59 pm

The full version of God Save the King/Queen could be offensive to Scots because of Verse 6:

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

Anthony Treacher

Back to top Go down

Post by EngInAuck Sun 20 Nov 2011, 9:13 am

Anthony Treacher wrote:The full version of God Save the King/Queen could be offensive to Scots because of Verse 6:

6. Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush.
God save the King!

I actually Prefer the song with that in !

But Flower of scotland reefers to them slautering The king of England's army

"And stood against him,
Proud Edward's army,
And sent him homeward
To think again."
Braveheart

im English and don't find that offensive and i doubt the Scots find God save the queen offensive unless they are being pretty pathetic.
EngInAuck
EngInAuck

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:05 pm

I've never really seen the point in any national anthem, however seeing as they are there, I've no objection to the current anthem for GB and NI even although it's pretty dreary, however as a Scot, I absolutely loathe Flower of Scotland, complete dirge and like Scotland in general always looking to the past.

Finding offence in any song though is pretty sad (especially the Old Firm)

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Fri 25 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

'God Save the Queen'. What horrible song. For starters, even if there is a God...im sure he/she/it has more to worry about than some stuckup woman who lives in a big house paid for by Johnny taxpayer

Most people I know find GSTQ a vile dirge and symbolic of centuries of oppression. Even if an Englishman, Welshman or a Scot did take any pride in being British to assume that patriotism goes hand in hand with loyalty to the crown is a very extremely outdated notion

Rather arrogant as well I will note that people on here take this attitude of "Well its the Welsh and Scots just gotta suck it up as its their anthem in Team GB". This the same anthem the 'Old Enemy' sing at every football and rugby game??? No wonder people dont like it

Most English people I know say its stupid they dont have an anthem and I agree with them they should choose another song one that actually means something.

In regards to Team GB though...please choose something else

In the words of the Sex Pistols..."God save the queen/The facist regime/Made you a moron"

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Fri 25 Nov 2011, 3:11 pm

Jerusalem for me, love it. Makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up whenever I hear it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Fri 25 Nov 2011, 3:15 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Jerusalem for me, love it. Makes the hairs on the back of the neck stand up whenever I hear it.

Agree on that one. Lovley song. Would much rather hear that when watching England play football or rugby.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Definitely Jerusalem for me, Land of Hope & Glory can get a bit boring after a while and it's not very 'rousing', Jerusalem on the other hand is fantastic passionate and uplifting. I was surprised how many people totally missed the significane of Bono singing it at Glasto this year. I thought it was amazing but everyone around me was just like "play Elevation..!!".

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 25 Nov 2011, 4:42 pm

Did it prove once and for all that Bono was a pretententious tool? Was that the significance?

Or was that proven a long time ago?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by TheUnknownOne. Sat 26 Nov 2011, 12:53 pm

TheUnknownOne.

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Tue 29 Nov 2011, 12:33 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Definitely Jerusalem for me, Land of Hope & Glory can get a bit boring after a while and it's not very 'rousing', Jerusalem on the other hand is fantastic passionate and uplifting. I was surprised how many people totally missed the significane of Bono singing it at Glasto this year. I thought it was amazing but everyone around me was just like "play Elevation..!!".

No one knows the words.

It is the Women's Institute Anthem.

It was also used in the commonwealth games and was a total disaster.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 2:09 pm

That's because they played a rubbish version of it!!

I know the words, as do many English cricket fans.

All together now!

And did those feet, in ancient times...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 3:58 pm

Jerusalem is brilliant at the cricket but agree with Fists that they did use a rubbish version!

I much preferred it when England used Land of Hope and Glory in the commenwealth games, like when they were held in Manchester. Seemed good to me, not sure why they changed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:07 pm

Love it at the cricket, rd, absolutely fantastic hearing that as the batsmen are on their way down the steps of the pavilion.

That version is perfect and would have been much more suited.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:12 pm

Ah yeah definitely.

Wish the England football and rugby teams would use it as well, instead of the GB one. As a rugby fan, I'm not a fan of the English anthem! I then get all confused come team GB winning a gold and having to belt it out. My poor brain can't take it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:14 pm

Yeah agree they should use it for all sports. Proper English song is Jerusalem and has a bit of an inspiring feeling to it.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trickstat Wed 30 Nov 2011, 4:25 pm

If I recall correctly, the reason "Land of Hope and Glory" was a success at the Manchester Commonwealths was that the words were printed in the programmes. Obviously, this is unlikely to happen when the games aren't in England (e.g. Glasgow 2014!). I, for one, am more familiar with the words of Jerusalem, which I have known to be played at weddings.

trickstat

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:34 pm

Rugby dreamer - I know that BEFORE England Rugby matches at Twickenham commence, they sing Land of hope and glory which is always rapturously received by the home faithful before of course singing the National anthem.
Do Northern ireland and the scots respond favourably to jerasulem? I think it was well received in the ashes at cardiff 09.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Nov 2011, 5:37 pm

It was indeed in Cardiff for the Ashes, I was there in '09 and belted it out myself. Tis a good song that one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Wed 30 Nov 2011, 7:45 pm

'Land of Hope and Glory' is quite imperialistic and refers to the Monarchy. Its still a lot better than 'God Save the Queen'. Land of Hope and glory though...more like land of no hope and poverty nowadays Laugh

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 01 Dec 2011, 10:05 am

Ha very true, Jimmy.

At least with Jersualem we can talk about it in a future sense.

'til we have built Jerusalem, in England's green and pleasant land"

Yep we have some rebuilding to do!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ian_jamsie Fri 02 Dec 2011, 12:13 pm

Rubbish Version.

Soft excuse. Rubbish song. Sang at the cricket?

I think that just about puts a line under it.

Also changing our anthem to the capital of contested arab country is not exactly the brightest move in current times.

ian_jamsie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down