The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History"

+6
21st Century Schizoid Man
WelshinEdinburgh
R!skysports
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Tattie Scones RRN
RuggerRadge2611
10 posters

Go down

"the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History" Empty "the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History"

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:37 am

Having had a scout around the Local papers this morning there is no escaping the anticipation of what one paper has branded "the most important 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby history". Hard to disagree with the statement. Since its creation Scotland has never failed to reach the QF stages of the RWC and despite being seeded 3rd in our group it's hard to argue that fact that the draw does not suit Scotland.

Esteemed Scottish poster AsLongAs100 eluded to in a previous article, the fact that Scotland winning consecutively has only happened a handful of times in 120 years of Rugby history.

After a successful tour to Argentina in the summer of 2010 and more steely resolve and determination that has seen Scotland turn over some big names of world rugby over the last few years such as Ireland, Australia, South Africa and England, what do we expect from our team in the next few weeks?

With all these factors taken into account, just how much will progression in this RWC mean to the team and mean to the people of Scotland? Will we be satisfied with progression to the QF? Will we be happy if we play well but ultimately fail to reach the QF? Or do we see the QF as a benchmark that we aim to pass?

The next 2 weeks will be very important to Scottish Rugby and I feel it will be how the Generation of players will be defined in years to come.

I have been a passionate Scottish supporter for over 20 years and it was 1999 the last time Scotland won something meaningful. We have the players, who in turn have the skills to win these matches and compete with the Southern Hemisphere juggernauts.

I'm going to try and do something here for when we come to face Argentina, and Gibbo Leprechaun I hope you don't mind me stealing your catch phrase.

Believe! Braveheart

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ASBO pointed out my poor grammar)
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

"the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History" Empty Re: "the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History"

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:05 am

After watching Argentina and England play Romania and Georgia respectively, it's hard not to be slightly anxious!

However, I'm sure Scotland will raise their games to the required level and win at least one of our games - which has to be Argentina to make certain of qualification.

It's time for Robinson to find the most effective blend of players otherwise we are out - simple as.

RR - you picked, IMO, the best team on another thread and I feel that's the one to see us through.

With Ireland's result after Saturday, the next two games mean we can either be out, go into the NH side of the knockout stages, or meet NZ in the 1/4's.

It's time to stand up and be counted.

Most definitely now squeaky bum time for us!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

"the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History" Empty Re: "the biggest 2 weeks in Scottish Rugby History"

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 am

Phew, you had me worried there, Radge - I thought for a moment that we were facing "Argentina and Gibbo", now I read it again, and it's just Argentina! Wink

I must confess to an extreme amount of nervousness - I really enjoyed seeing Ireland take Oz's scalp, it was great to watch Wales push the Boks to the wire, and England have been racking up points without getting out of 2nd gear - but now it's our turn. We must deliver the complete performance in these next two games - anything less is unacceptable. Every player has to put in the performance of a lifetime - if they do, Scotland will qualify for the quarters - that's the immediate goal Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:27 pm

I am extremely nervous of the Argentina match. We have miss fired so far, but have got the wins. We need to get the win and to do that we need the right team on the pitch.

We have so far got some positives from both games - back line against Romania and Pack against Georgia. We need them both to work against Argentina

the two KEY areas for me are

Second Row

Needs to be Hamilton and Hines / kellock starting. What we lose in the lose with Hamilton is made up by have a scrum that can compete.

Parks and Mossrison should not be anywhere near the ground together - ever ever again. It was embarassing seeing us revert to Parks Morrision axis of tosh. Morrison ' I will run slowly into contact and do nothing more' was one of the key reason we had no backs - if AR selects these two together, I will change my opinion of him, to Incompetent and call for him to be sacked - that is how strongly I beleive that is the wrong call

So 12 - 13 needs to be S Lamont and Ansbro

The rest kind of works ok with the squad we have over, as we have some good players around the fringes

Anyway, here is to a very nervous Sunday

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshinEdinburgh Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

Scotland have a habit of playing at the level of the opposition (Wales do the same) When was the last time Scotland won a game by 40 points? The 3 southern hemisphere, France and Endland seem to be able to do it but the rest of us not. What we do know is that Scotland are more than capable of beating Argentina and England, it will be tough of course but a Scotland/France England/New Zealand quarter may be on the cards. There are a number of good Scottish players just starting to come into form, C'mon Scotland

WelshinEdinburgh

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm

Getting nervous about Sunday already. Please Andy R do the right thing and play the team that can beat the Argies in the first half and not a holding team - i.e Parks and Morrison. By all means have them on the bench but if we go really defensive early on we will get caught by Argentina who looked really quick and decisive in the back division on Saturday.

Gulp Shocked Ale RedWine Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:44 pm

As an England fan who always supports Scotland unless you are playing England, I wish you all the best for the remainder of the group stages (except on the 1st of course!)

You've got some tough matches ahead, but I'm sure you can do it and it would be great to see England and Scotland both coming out of that group

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:47 pm

I'm more worried about getting to the QF than the QF itself. Must-win game against Argentina.

Given the way Argentina and England have scored against Georgia and Romania, it likely won't be enough to lose to Argentina and beat England. We must beat Argentina.

It's more an important 6 days than an important 2 weeks.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:18 pm

i feel so smug now that everyones finally joining the anyone but morrison brigade. my years of internet forum propaganda are finally worth something!
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:27 pm

I wouldn't go that far. Personally I think Sean Lamont is the better attacking player, and Morrison the better defensive player, but it's between those two. I wouldn't have NDL or anyone else at 12.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:43 pm

Forecast is for rain and wind on Sunday - can imagine that will influence tactics - less chance of Jackson/S Lamont, Parks/Morrison looking the more likely if we play for territory with the boot Crying or Very sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:46 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Forecast is for rain and wind on Sunday - can imagine that will influence tactics - less chance of Jackson/S Lamont, Parks/Morrison looking the more likely if we play for territory with the boot Crying or Very sad

It may well be that the weather dictates what sort of game we play. I have no real issues with that since it is traditionaly in an Edinburgh monsoon we see our best results for Example : England, South Africa and Australia.

Robbo is pretty smart but I can't see why we can't start with Jackson and Lamont and make the change to bring on Morrison and Desperate if the running game doesn't work.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:49 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Forecast is for rain and wind on Sunday - can imagine that will influence tactics - less chance of Jackson/S Lamont, Parks/Morrison looking the more likely if we play for territory with the boot Crying or Very sad

Oh god, that is us out the world cup then. A more ineffective partnership I can not think of.

If we do play those two and if we do lose, I will start calling for AR head - he has been in the role too long to not know that they make us a complete joke of a team - I am going to rant, I am going to cry and I am going to throw my toys out of the pram 🤦 steam

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:33 pm

To be honest, if the weather is grim, windy and wet, you can make a pretty strong argument for opting for Parks/Morrison. If the conditions are going to prevent us playing a wide game, or at least make it extremely difficult, then I've yet to see Jackson control such a game, and Parks' drop goal abilities would be an advantage.

Not ideal, but it would be pragmatic. Personally I think we'll really struggle to win in those conditions. Argentina are set up to play in grim conditions, and if we're going to have 80 minutes of pick and drive and mauls, I'm not sure how we'll come out on top.

What we want is a dry day, so our fragile handling skills aren't given an additional hurdle. Then we can go with Jackson at 10 and work hard on moving their pack around.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Wet & windy, fES, Barclay or Rennie, Cusiter, Lawson or Blair? Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Barclay, Cusiter and Jackson for me ASBO. But I'm a Warrior so am a teensy bit biased ! Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:48 pm

For me I'd go with Barclay regardless of the conditions, similarly Blair.

I'd have Lawson on the bench ahead of Cusiter though, based on recent form.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 pm

fES,

do you not think Lawson has been distinctly average recently - I would prefer to see Blair at 9 and I'm not a fan of his ? Cusiter is a far better attacking option IMHO. Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:08 pm

Greetings and good morning from Rotorua New Zealand! Loving this country - I aint coming back!

Have to say I am very nervous about the game - and I'm gonna be there! The argies have looked good so far.

Massive team selection for Robinson definitely.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 am

Glad you made it out there safely, RDW - hope the game is a cracker, ending in a fine Scottish win Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 am

Not been that convinced with Cusiter so far. Seems he is not quite his usual confident self, and when that happens I think he is one charge down from a Italy 21 mins of hell

Blair looked a little bit more like his old self so happy for to have him start

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down