The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games just bought

+14
Pr4wn
President Trump
ADMIN
Bull
B91212
Liam_Main
Dass
Fists of Fury
Nay
Fernando
liverbnz
TipToes88
GG
hodge
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Games just bought Empty Games just bought

Post by hodge Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

Thought I would start a thread so we have somewhere to discuss games we have just bought and what they are like incase others were thinking of buying them as well.

Today I bought Driver: San Fransisco, only just started so will reserve judgement but good so far, i have also pre ordered, Fifa 12, Football Manager 12 and James Bond Goldeneye reloaded. Also thinking of getting Rugby Challenge and will try and get Assassins Creed as a birthday present Laugh

hodge

Back to top Go down

Games just bought Empty Re: Games just bought

Post by GG Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

I'll definetly be buying Assassins Creed Revelations and I'll most probably buy eihter Battlefield or MW3 (or maybe both).

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by TipToes88 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

pre ordered assassin's creed and battlefield seriously looking forward to them.

Newest game bought is Deus Ex human evolution. Enjoyed it for the most part but the boss fights really REALLY sucked. Heard that they outsourced the boss fights and you can tell, it's like two different games. Also wasn't too keen on the last level or the storyline. But deffo worth a buy if you like splinter cell kinda action or blade runner

TipToes88

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Just downloaded Age of Empires 3 again. Never played it the last time I had it, but so far so good. Should keep me going until MW3 comes out.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

i got f1 2011 coming thursday/ friday followed by fifa 12 next week so should see me til xmas

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Mon 19 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

I will be getting, Battlefied 3, Assassins Creed, MW3, Uncharted 3, and football manager

Should last me a while Smile

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:01 pm

liverbnz wrote:Just downloaded Age of Empires 3 again. Never played it the last time I had it, but so far so good. Should keep me going until MW3 comes out.

I've got that somewhere, I remember not liking it too much when I first got it, after absolutely loving AoE II.

Might be worth another bash.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

Dark Souls will be the one game I'll be looking forward to this year beyond all others, I'll end up getting Skyrim as well at some point as well. There will be a few others that I'll be playing like FM 2012, PES, Catherine etc but those will be bought by my brother.

I'll just going to wait till early 2012 for my FPS fix and the king of shooters has its next instalment. So no Battlefield or MW for me.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
liverbnz wrote:Just downloaded Age of Empires 3 again. Never played it the last time I had it, but so far so good. Should keep me going until MW3 comes out.

I've got that somewhere, I remember not liking it too much when I first got it, after absolutely loving AoE II.

Always found the AoE games to be a bit to much about building large armies and not enough about the economics side of the game play. I like a good scrap every now and then but with AoE I often found that's all there was, not enough depth for me.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 19 Sep 2011, 4:17 pm

Dass wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:

Always found the AoE games to be a bit to much about building large armies and not enough about the economics side of the game play. I like a good scrap every now and then but with AoE I often found that's all there was, not enough depth for me.

How would make them different? Just curious like.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

Pre-ordered Fifa 12 and thinking about buying PES 12 and F1 2011.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 19 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

It's been a while since I've played any of them but from what I remember I'd have better balance of the units through each age along with a slow down of the economic development through bringing in bottle necks in either production or resources. Settlers road system in the early days was a prime example of the player having to carefully manage the travel and consumption of good by multiple sources. I'd have also added in terrain being a bigger factor to both building construction and on a war front.

For what its worth I think when making a RTS game you have to build it for both single player and online consumption, the problem being both are different game play spheres as far as I'm concerned.

Then again as a online experience a faster pace battle system where its all about quick growth aimed at full on confrontation tends to work better for head to heads. Then again I've always felt Total Annihilation offers the best experience in that regards over any other game.

Anyway that's just the mild ramblings I can think of based of a game I've not played in many many years. Smile

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

Already decided to get F2011 when it comes out tomorrow. Looked at Driver San Fran but can't make my mind up, will be interested to read what people think once they have played it for a while. For the first time in 4 years I may not bother with FIFA 12 after I found last years very disappointing. Watched the clip for GOW3 earlier and now seriously considering that, although I've never played any of the series before. Got some gift vouchers burning a hole in my pocket at the moment.

On another note I bought WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania last week for $5 brand new from the local Blockbusters as it is closing down. Not played it yet and don't expect anything much from it but it should bring back some memories of my childhood.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

Just got LA Noire! its Unbelievable ! Rockstar have done it again! great game

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:42 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:Just got LA Noire! its Unbelievable ! Rockstar have done it again! great game

Honestly? I think it was the most disappointing game of the year (and I'm usually Rockstars greatest fan). Found it repetitive and the driving very poor. Did like the City and 1940's world, usual Rockstar work there but not played it in months after being about 50% of the way through (I think).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:51 pm

Yeah I loved LA Noire initially but it swiftly became as exciting as Assassins Creed.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

ill be honest the first 2 case i found very boring but as i did side missions the game got better so im enjoying it ill give a final opinion when i complete it!

i became a big Rockstar fan after Red Dead! sure GTA is great but honestly i thought SR2 was better then GTA IV due to the story being funnier ! but graphically hands down GTA!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Mon 19 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm

San Andreas was my fave Rockstar game, IV I didn't like the driving around the grid system.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm

B91212 wrote:Already decided to get F2011 when it comes out tomorrow. Watched the clip for GOW3 earlier and now seriously considering that, although I've never played any of the series before.

Damn you getting F1 2011 tomorrow but id highly recommend getting GOW3 its awesome as all the series is.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:36 pm

fernando wrote:
B91212 wrote:Already decided to get F2011 when it comes out tomorrow. Watched the clip for GOW3 earlier and now seriously considering that, although I've never played any of the series before.

Damn you getting F1 2011 tomorrow but id highly recommend getting GOW3 its awesome as all the series is.

Doubt I will get chance to play F2011 until the weekend, so I will loose any early North American purchase bonus anyway. Doh
GOW3 looks absolutely amazing graphics wise from the clip, thanks for the recommendation.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:41 pm

Just to clear something up, LA Noire is not a Rockstar game like RDR or GTA were, both those were developed by Rockstar while LA Noire was a Team Bondi developed game.

I'd echo Hero's words on this one as I found LA Noire a massive disappointment in terms of the actual case solving mechanics more than anything else considering the hype. Also ditto on the Assassins Creed bit as well.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Mon 19 Sep 2011, 11:50 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:ill be honest the first 2 case i found very boring but as i did side missions the game got better so im enjoying it ill give a final opinion when i complete it!

i became a big Rockstar fan after Red Dead! sure GTA is great but honestly i thought SR2 was better then GTA IV due to the story being funnier ! but graphically hands down GTA!

Red Dead was / is one of the best games I've ever played, the story was amazing and reminded me of all those years being forced to watch Western films when I was a kid at Christmas. San Andreas is my favorite of the GTA series but IV wasn't without it's charm.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:06 am

B91212 wrote:
TheBrahmaBull wrote:Just got LA Noire! its Unbelievable ! Rockstar have done it again! great game

Honestly? I think it was the most disappointing game of the year (and I'm usually Rockstars greatest fan). Found it repetitive and the driving very poor. Did like the City and 1940's world, usual Rockstar work there but not played it in months after being about 50% of the way through (I think).

Same here mate. The best part of LA Noire was that I had Mafia 2 free with it!

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

Dass wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:

I know what you mean, as there is only really that initial resource race and then it's all about maxing your 200 population limit.

Do you know of any games similar that have a deeper side to them that you would recommend?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:45 am

Yeah there's a few out there that focus on economic growth on both a small and large scale. They do also have military aspects to them but its a more balanced affair than in other games, while speed is still important in making sure your reaching your potential its done at the cost of making sure your people are running like clockwork and not just running from A-B as fast as they can.

I'd recommend the following:

The Settlers I-IV
Annos 1404
Ceaser III-IV
Knight & Merchants
Cultures
Alien Nations
Tropico
Stronghold

Some of the above have multiple games in their series, I was even tempted to include Sim City in the list but not really liked anything beyond 2000 myself. Want any information on some of these just let me know, a couple haven't had big releases.

EDIT: Settlers II is my favourite, rubbish military side verging on so bad its funny when fights actually happen but the economic side built around your road system is still one of the simplest but best economic drivers I've seen in any game of its type. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:47 am

I'm quite into the old school strategies such as age of empires, where the focus is upon bows, arrows and swords as opposed to guns and nukes (though I was a huge fan of Command and Conquer Generals, which I still play to this day.

So, any of those that you mentioned fall into that category?

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Pretty much all of them apart from Annos 1404 which being set around that time period is around the time of the first guns, can't remember if it does feature them though. Tropico also has a modern setting of Cuba where your trying to make it the best damn communism state on the planet.

The rest are all medieval based games even Alien Nations which just involves Aliens in that setting instead.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

You should be able to find most of the games here on the cheap.

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue

Or you can try and get some of the for free via download from somewhere like Abandonware.com.

I'd recommend Settlers II and Stronghold as good starting places for a mix of good military/economic sides and some old school fun.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

Thanks mate, I will check them out.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:57 am

Hope you have fun and always happy to help even with my grumpy attitude towards a lot of modern games. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

Not a fan of the Civ series?

my faves though had to be Populous and Powermonger.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:23 pm

Fan of all three games, remember Populous and Powermonger fondly (Bullfrog how we miss you) as games that helped in establishing the games I mentioned. I was trying to keep the list a bit more modern and closer to something like AoE in game play terms which I'm not sure either these games are.

As for the Civ series I'm fond of playing them but prefer the smaller more intimate scale of other games to what you get with Civ, though there's nothing quite like going Nuclear with Ghandi. Still a great series of games and fits in well in terms of scope with AoE, Rise of Nations among others.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

I go against the grain here and say in my honest opinion the GoW series is boring and lacking, first 2 games are boring and pretty much the same game with extras, I havent played the 3rd and will not be bothered, Im glad I got that off my chest Whistle

Anyway has anyone played Space Marine, ive played the demo and was well impressed (Im a huge Warhammer fan so that wouldnt have been hard) and I see the game has been getting great reviews

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

I played the demo and in honesty I prefered GW doing the more tactical Dawn Of War type of game over the FPS.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

I loved Dawn of War and Battle March but my computer wasnt good enough to get the new ones Sad, I dont think the demo does it justice plus the multiplayer is suppose to be brilliant

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 2:45 pm

I'm not much of a fan of GoW either so you are not alone there, as I said in a previous post I'm just going to wait till CS: Global Offensive is released next year. The King of shooters returns with is next instalment. Very Happy

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:12 pm

Dass, which settlers is it mate? I have searched for it but rather than settlers 2 they seem to have names like 'heritage of kings'.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:26 pm

After the 4th game in the series they started giving them little names, 'Heritage of Kings' was basically the fifth game and the first to have a name rather than a number.

Your looking for 'The Settlers II 10th Anniversary'. Where have you been looking?.

Just for a reference here's the other titles in the series in the order they were released.

The Settlers
The Settlers II
The Settlers III
The Settlers IV
The Settlers: Heritage of Kings (No. 5)
The Settlers II 10th Anniversary
The Settlers: Rise of an Empire (No. 6)
The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 20 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm

Was just having a look on steam, though they don't appear to have settlers II.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:09 am

Yeah seems Steam only caters for the later games in the series, of those only No.7 is worth playing and it comes with its own problems mostly to do with security (DRM) measures placed around the game to stop piracy.

Your best bet is to pick up a copy through a site like GOG (Good Old Games) which I linked earlier where you can download the game or pick up a box copy through Amazon. It should be fairly cheap with either option.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:40 am

I haven't had other driver games but enjoying san fran so far

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 21 Sep 2011, 8:52 am

Dass wrote:Yeah seems Steam only caters for the later games in the series, of those only No.7 is worth playing and it comes with its own problems mostly to do with security (DRM) measures placed around the game to stop piracy.

Your best bet is to pick up a copy through a site like GOG (Good Old Games) which I linked earlier where you can download the game or pick up a box copy through Amazon. It should be fairly cheap with either option.

Thanks mate, will do so at some point this week.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

hodge wrote:I haven't had other driver games but enjoying san fran so far

Played some of the original Driver games years ago which were good in their day, but the last one I played was Parallel Lines (a birthday present from the dog a few years ago Rolling Eyes ) and didn't really get into it. I can't get my head around what I've read in the reviews for San Fran where you can change who you are controlling in the city by floating about or something (sounded very strange and far fetched). In fairness the review said it worked really well but just can't seem to get my head around it. How does it actually pan out?

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

GG wrote:
B91212 wrote:

Same here mate. The best part of LA Noire was that I had Mafia 2 free with it!

Not only didn't I get Mafia 2 free with it, it is the only game I've ever pre-ordered (paid a deposit at my local Bestbuy to get some bonus cases or something) and it was full price at $60

furious

With all the money I've given Rockstar over the years I should have grounds for legal proceedings Wink

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:35 pm

Just got Gears 3 for Xbox 360.

Awesome.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Just got Gears 3 for Xbox 360.

Awesome.

Picked it up last night (along with F2011) but won't get chance to play until at least the weekend

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by hodge Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:52 am

B91212 wrote:

Played some of the original Driver games years ago which were good in their day, but the last one I played was Parallel Lines (a birthday present from the dog a few years ago Rolling Eyes ) and didn't really get into it. I can't get my head around what I've read in the reviews for San Fran where you can change who you are controlling in the city by floating about or something (sounded very strange and far fetched). In fairness the review said it worked really well but just can't seem to get my head around it. How does it actually pan out?

havnt finished the storyline to it, but think the guys in a coma or something which is why he is able to do the shifting to other cars and all

hodge

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:03 pm

hodge wrote:
B91212 wrote:

havnt finished the storyline to it, but think the guys in a coma or something which is why he is able to do the shifting to other cars and all

I guess that kind of makes sense. Thanks

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Sep 2011, 5:20 pm

Got Driver San Francisco for the X-box yesterday, cant put it down. Brilliant game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Wed 28 Sep 2011, 12:05 pm

Lego Pirates and Lego Star Wars :P yesterday

But will be getting Revelations

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down