The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what if WWE bought TNA?

+3
Prometheus
Samo
talkingpoint
7 posters

Go down

what if WWE bought TNA? Empty what if WWE bought TNA?

Post by talkingpoint Sun 06 Sep 2015, 9:30 am

Okay so TNA has never been the competitor WCW was back in its heyday to the WWE. TNA have never been able to mount another Monday Night War. TNA has gone through multiple phases in the lifetime of the company always trying to find its own niche, while desiring to be the WWE at the same time. From a financial and commercial standpoint, TNA is not even in WWE's league. So a WWE buyout wouldn't make much sense at face value. Why buy a company you refuse to acknowledge even exists!?

However, bear with me...

What if WWE bought out TNA with the intention of creating TNA as a fourth brand? Now I know many of your automatic reaction will be WWE doesn't need a fourth brand, they already have NXT! Again on the face of things a fourth brand would seem surplus to requirements. But, think back to the Invasion angle. Originally WWE wanted to keep WCW as a third brand. The original intention was to keep WWE and WCW separate but with WWE being in charge of WCW. The brand split failed leading to the Invasion Angle. Then came the ECW reunion, which led to WWE relaunching ECW as a third brand. Eventually ECW was decommissioned paving the way for NXT to become the new third brand.

So it seems WWE has a history of trying to recreate for its own purposes alternative brands. It would also be a win win situation for the WWE. If TNA goes under there will be a lot of disappointed TNA fans. Despite moving to DA, which has limited cable availability compared to Spike, nevertheless TNA have kept a core following. WWE is far more competent at building a brand than TNA and Dixie Carter has proved herself to be and so there is untapped potential left in TNA. Think of TNA like an oil reserve. TNA currently squeeze out a bare amount in order to stay afloat as a company. But, with better minds behind the company TNA could yet grow and attract a much bigger fan base priming the entire well. WWE has never really valued the cruiser weight division, but in the X-Division they could create the entire brand around, which TNA did themselves in the beginning. WWE would have the rights to the Ultimate X match and the 6-sided ring and could rebuild TNA's failing PPV model - Lockdown, Destination X, Slammiversary and BFG.

TNA could continue as its own thing without any interaction with WWE if WWE so wished. WWE reap the profits from TNA, while giving wrestling fans an alternative to the exclusively WWE programming currently available with their existing three brands. There's a lot of speculation around TNA right now and many of us think it will just end up merging with GFW. But, I don't think that's the best solution. If TNA merge with GFW then you effectively have TNA 2.0., which would probably end up experiencing the same problems down the road. Yes GFW's business model is different to TNA's, and that is why I think it should remain as distinct from TNA as possible. For the WWE to buy TNA makes far more sense to me. They already have a company with a fan base and a PPV model and its own unique gimmick matches with a talented albeit it small roster. All TNA needs is better management, which the WWE would provide.

That way even though fans would know WWE owned TNA, it would also keep its separate identity with the added guarantee that TNA won't go out of business, either to the WWE or to its own incompetence. TNA continues on with the security of a bright future. In return WWE get the alternative brand it's been seeking since 2001 and the increased revenue from what TNA would bring in.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

what if WWE bought TNA? Empty Re: what if WWE bought TNA?

Post by Samo Sun 06 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

The only thing WWE would be interested in TNA is the video library. Even then its not worth much value to them. I also dont see what value they would see in the Ultimate X style match or the six-sided ring (which I will never take seriously).

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Sun 06 Sep 2015, 4:13 pm

I'd love it if this were conjecture from Steph cashing in 2.6M worth of shares. But, I'm afraid that I'm with Samo, TP.

1) Library. Well, for an organization WWE don't admit exists, its hard to see why they'd want this, or what they'd do with it. And all indications are that Network subscribers value new content much, much over archive material, so just not a big value.

2) Roster. Well, that's all but gone. Also, the big names there are the likes of Angle and Hardy that WWE definitely don't want to touch.

3) 6-sided ring. As this is used in AAA and GFW its hard to imagine that TNA has the rights to it, but why would WWE want to use it? For an X Division, well that's not something WWE is interested in, if they did they have Kalisto, Neville, etc.

4) Viewers. Well, there is no real indication that TNA followers in any numbers pay for the product via PPV or tickets. So, even if you say they have 500,000 viewers, how many of those would pay 9.99 if their product were behind the Network pay-wall. 10%? Less? I can't see Adam, for example, giving Vince a tenner of his money every month, even if TNA is there.

Having said all of that. If TNA becomes available at the right price (practically zero) then who says they wont.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 06 Sep 2015, 4:40 pm

On the "third brand" point, I don't think this is the route they'd go. Arguably, if they wanted to expand a brand they'd do the split for Smackdown, and in theory what they tried to do in the past with ECW and their plan for WCW they have completely fulfilled with NXT. They won't care for the TV contracts or slots that TNA have, and if they want to develop stars for NXT then they will go to smaller companies.

WWE have made baffling decisions in their lifetime, but buying TNA now would probably be the most confusing.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

Maybe brand was a bad choice, it was for want of a better word. I didn't mean that TNA would be absorbed into the WWE Network or use it as a developmental system like NXT. The way I had imagined it was that instead of Panda Energy owning TNA, the WWE would. It wouldn't become WWE Impact Wrestling. It would still be TNA Impact Wrestling, just the ownership would be in WWE's name.

My reasoning is that if TNA lose their TV deal with DA and fail to find a new home they will likely go out of business. TNA's own incompetence will have doomed them. With GFW still without a TV deal yet, despite two sets of TV tapings under their belt, that would leave the wrestling landscape yet again void of any real alternative. Okay there is ROH and LU, but these are niche promotions not mainstream. TNA is a mainstream company (in principle).

WWE could buy TNA and fund it to keep going, along with exerting its influence to get it a new TV deal. WWE could also provide a more lucrative contract for the TNA roster and even entice TNA originals and fan favourites who have left the company to return. Imagine a rejuvenated roster with the likes of AJ Styles, Bad Influence, Austin Aries, James Storm et al back! Fans would love it and they'd have a home without having to do the indie circuit to make a living.

The biggest problem I see would be conflict of interest. WWE would have to invest in the TNA roster to bring through new stars, which would potentially mean signing up and coming indie guys to TNA when they may want them for NXT. However, I'm sure both companies could work on a quota policy or something so they don't take too many to the detriment of the other's product.

Yeah I know it's fantasy and probably will never happen, but I just think the only way TNA will ever cut the rot from the company is if WWE were in charge and knew what was best for business.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:08 pm

5 years ago it was: WWE need TNA because they need competition to make their product better.

Now its: What if WWE bought TNA to help TNA survive?

Can we just let TNA die in peace?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:48 pm

Samo wrote:5 years ago it was: WWE need TNA because they need competition to make their product better.

Now its: What if WWE bought TNA to help TNA survive?

Can we just let TNA die in peace?

Because WWE still need competition. Even if WWE owned TNA, it would have its own writing and creative team so wouldn't be directly under the micromanagement of Vince (in my scenario).

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Tue 08 Sep 2015, 1:54 pm

So, like NXT?

Which just sold out the same 13,000 arena as Summer Slam / Raw. If TNA filmed their next PPV there, I'm saying they'd do well to sell 10% of that.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Tue 08 Sep 2015, 2:41 pm

Quite a sad article in that it sounds like you've accepted the demise as a single entity for TNA TP, for as long as i remember you you've been one of the most positive, upbeat and hopeful of TNA's fans, even when things from a booking prespective went horribly or inexplicably wrong there was still the calming Devil's Advocate stance in you looking at why they would do what they do, I've not watched TNA with any genuine interest since they wrecked the whole Bobby Roode angle at BFG and put everything into Sting/Hogan and I've not even saw an episode in about 2 years, I couldn't tell you whose in it now or anything.

I was forever annoyed when folk would almost hope for TNA to go out of business, as a Wrestling fan I always felt it's more  important to have as many viable organisations as possible to push the WWE to their limits but ironically after the highs of the 2005-08 era they finally looked like they were heading in the right direction heading into 2010 when they ended up setting on a path that would eventually kill themselves slowly - Now, I genuinely wouldn't care if they went out of business, the expansion of the Internet in the last 4 years has opened up the market like never before, the Japanese market, the WWE Network and even ROH have used it to better themselves, the British scene is more buzzing than ever due to the availability online now too, TNA in 2008 had put themselves in such anfantastic position to push on, their collapse was down to an embarrassing lack of foresight into what people wanted to watch.

I've been a member of Wrestlig forums for about 10-12 years now, while I don't watch or keep upto date with TNA anymore I still read the opinions of long time Wrestling posters and the general consensus appears to me to be they're done as an organisation, done as a product and done as a relevancy to Pro Wrestling.

I personally don't think the WWE would have any interest in them at all other than to do some "the rise and fall" DVD

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 08 Sep 2015, 5:25 pm

NXT is the brand TNA wishes it could be.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Tue 08 Sep 2015, 10:52 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:Quite a sad article in that it sounds like you've accepted the demise as a single entity for TNA TP, for as long as i remember you you've been one of the most positive, upbeat and hopeful of TNA's fans, even when things from a booking prespective went horribly or inexplicably wrong there was still the calming Devil's Advocate stance in you looking at why they would do what they do, I've not watched TNA with any genuine interest since they wrecked the whole Bobby Roode angle at BFG and put everything into Sting/Hogan and I've not even saw an episode in about 2 years, I couldn't tell you whose in it now or anything.

I was forever annoyed when folk would almost hope for TNA to go out of business, as a Wrestling fan I always felt it's more  important to have as many viable organisations as possible to push the WWE to their limits but ironically after the highs of the 2005-08 era they finally looked like they were heading in the right direction heading into 2010 when they ended up setting on a path that would eventually kill themselves slowly - Now, I genuinely wouldn't care if they went out of business, the expansion of the Internet in the last 4 years has opened up the market like never before, the Japanese market, the WWE Network and even ROH have used it to better themselves, the British scene is more buzzing than ever due to the availability online now too, TNA in 2008 had put themselves in such anfantastic position to push on, their collapse was down to an embarrassing lack of foresight into what people wanted to watch.

I've been a member of Wrestlig forums for about 10-12 years now, while I don't watch or keep upto date with TNA anymore I still read the opinions of long time Wrestling posters and the general consensus appears to me to be they're done as an organisation, done as a product and done as a relevancy to Pro Wrestling.

I personally don't think the WWE would have any interest in them at all other than to do some "the rise and fall" DVD

I know this article sounds desperate. My faith in TNA has not been lost per sa. My faith in its leadership on the other hand is though. When TNA signed with DA I thought TNA could rebound and had a second chance to put things right. Sadly, Dixie seems to have alienated herself from the DA execs and isolated TNA in the process. I think she's incompetent. I have nothing against her personally, but she continues to make serious errors in judgement and has misplaced priorities. She doesn't know how to grow TNA as a brand. Look at all the roster changes and contract fiascos. There's little continuity on screen. She's dependent on international TV deals, but that can't be the only way you stay in business as a wrestling promotion. Only now are they touring this year, a month before BFG. It's all come too little too late. As Prometheus alluded to, NXT now sells out arenas. In just a few years it has totally changed WWE's developmental system so that it is now a legitimate 3rd brand. In 13 years what has TNA achieved? I think its record attendance was Slammiversary 2012 with 5,000. Why is that? Why can WWE take indie talent and "unknowns" to the WWE universe and make a successful brand out of them and TNA cannot? Is it just because there is a WWE logo slapped on it? No, it's because the people who run it are much better at booking and promoting than TNA. I'd like TNA to stay independent. I'd like TNA to grow to the size of NXT. But, as long as Dixie is in charge (and I think she'll go down with the ship) then I can't see that happening.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed 09 Sep 2015, 1:29 am

Agree with everything you say with regards to Dixie's shoddy management although I have absolutely no idea about the contract situation, I assume they're a complete mess now too.

I'm not sure how comparable it could ever be to NXT tho'...WWE has a massive audience though, they have fans new and old, marks and smarks well beyond the reach of TNA, While I agree that NXT is booked in a sensible coherent way its also breaking sonewhat new ground getting in the darlings of the Internet, its a big tip of their hat to their smark audience as well as helping their product, what NXT don't need to worry about though is ratings, as a Network exclusive product they're not tied with that need for instant gratification/success that other shows that rely on ratings are, plus I do believe the WWE banner will sell seats regardless of what they show, I remembe in the dying days of ECW and SmackDown (as an individual brand) in 2010 those arenas looked like they sold consistently well despite the shows being less than appealing.

Thats by the by though, as a point I'm just not sure why the WWE would bother with TNA, no doubt they'd have enough quality footage to make a brilliant 3 disk DVD with a documentary about how it all went wrong but I think they'd more likely just want to cheery pick their best talent to fill NXT out a bit more.

Always been surprised Bobby Roode never made the leap, I used to see a lot of peak HHH in him, I felt with Hunter calling the shots he might want to get a closer look, maybe thats the problem

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:10 am

And that's a big reason for my little escapist suggestion. There are guys who either won't go or can't go to the WWE. Guys like Storm, Aries and Roode who are all very talented wrestlers with personality, mic skills, charisma and in ring talent, as well as proven stints as heels and faces what will happen to them? GFW? ROH? NJPW? I think they deserve better. They deserve to have mainstream status (in America). I know a lot of WCW guys made the transition to the WWE after WCW went under, but their careers are hardly comparable. Guys like Goldberg, DDP and Sting were all big stars in their own right in WCW. I'd like to see some of the TNA originals earn that kind of status, but unfortunately they never truly will as long as it's being run into the ground by Dixie.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Wed 09 Sep 2015, 4:04 pm

One of the statistics that I'm finding it hardest to get my head round is the significant drop in figures on the change from a Friday to Wednesday slot on DA.

Before the move, Impact was averaging somewhere around 550,000 (total) viewers. And afterwards, around 400,000. That's quite a drop. And quite a drop when all the talk at the time was that the Friday slot was a bad one to catch wrestling fans and Wednesday's would increase the viewers.

Now, I know there is a mitigating factor, that the speculation that DA was going to cancel the TNA contract maybe made Impact a bit of a dead duck. But even so I find it really quite amazing that so many of their audience just stopped watching the show when it moved days, and no new audience was found.

And if I'm Netflix or anyone else who TNA are approaching to get a TV deal, that is a statistic I'd be looking at time and again. Not only did TNA fans not subscribe to DA when it moved (we see the drop of around 50% viewers that equates to DA only being in around 50% of homes that Spike was), but even a simple change of day on the same channel and that hits the numbers hard.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:10 pm

agreed, it's damaging for TNA's prospects. With the possibility that TNA won't be on TV much longer I have zero interest in BFG or even this TNA vs. GFW thing. Why invest in something that's likely to die in a matter of months? And the fact that TNA fans who didn't have DA haven't ordered the channel to continue following TNA shows how fickle those fans were. TNA have needed for a long time to invest in their fans and make them care. Becoming a totally TV based company with no house shows or PPVs of which to speak of, as well as little to no emphasis placed on selling merchandise, little wonder they've attracted a lot of freeloaders in the past who haven't stayed loyal to them.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 09 Sep 2015, 11:20 pm

Seeing Kurt Angle come out and say hes not signing with TNA, rather than a long "where am I going?" drawn out thing, makes me think TNA might be dead. Did hear some rumours that a "huge name" is to return for a role with them.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 10 Sep 2015, 12:27 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Seeing Kurt Angle come out and say hes not signing with TNA, rather than a long "where am I going?" drawn out thing, makes me think TNA might be dead. Did hear some rumours that a "huge name" is to return for a role with them.

Could it be Mr. Kyu Kyu Naoki Tanizaki Toyonaka Dolphin from Dragon Gate? He's a pretty huge name

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 10 Sep 2015, 10:56 am

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Seeing Kurt Angle come out and say hes not signing with TNA, rather than a long "where am I going?" drawn out thing, makes me think TNA might be dead. Did hear some rumours that a "huge name" is to return for a role with them.

I just see it as in keeping with their efforts to considerably trim the wage bill and try to hold on in there as some kind of promotion.
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:09 pm

Just do what I do now when I want a fix of TNA and watch old YouTube videos from around 2005-2010. Wink

Only thing is you may find it depressing when you see how promising it looked back then, compared to the slow, painful death spiral it seems to be in now.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:13 pm

Do you have 5 or 6 recommendations?
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:19 pm

Prometheus wrote:Do you have 5 or 6 recommendations?

https://www.606v2.com/t43426-tna-s-top-10-matches-a-tribute thumbsup

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Prometheus Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:45 pm

Thanks House
Prometheus
Prometheus

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Thu 10 Sep 2015, 1:53 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Just do what I do now when I want a fix of TNA and watch old YouTube videos from around 2005-2010. Wink

Only thing is you may find it depressing when you see how promising it looked back then, compared to the slow, painful death spiral it seems to be in now.

precisely. That's why I don't want WWE to buy them out only to release a rise and fall dvd.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 10 Sep 2015, 2:02 pm

What can I say I like to list stuff

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 10 Sep 2015, 3:41 pm

He does. His "top five places I picture you naked" list was arguably the most uncomfortable, yet organised message I have ever received on here.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down