The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marlon Devonish

+2
Strawberry Jam
ryanbailey
6 posters

Go down

Marlon Devonish Empty Marlon Devonish

Post by ryanbailey Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:54 pm

Another fantastic weekend for Marlon, another sub 15second clocking over 150m. This man is amazing at this distance. With a 10.06s 100m and a 20.19s 200m PB's. It seems that the 150m must be his ideal distance. I wonder how many other sprinters are like this?

A great run by Walter Dix too! Fantastic competitor. Was a jolly good weekend overall. Shame about the long jump though, i agree with Dwight, the run up was a bit short.

Anyway, well done Marlon! Keep up the good hard work!

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Marlon Devonish Empty Re: Marlon Devonish

Post by Strawberry Jam Tue 20 Sep 2011, 7:42 pm

Have to agree- Well done to Marlon. Still going! Big time fan of Marlon!

First post by the way.

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:34 am

Marlon's been round for ages. Harry Atkines-Aryeetes and Simeon Williamson, and a couple of other young guys are the way forward. Not sure about Pickering

For the women - I like Jeanatte Kwakye, but she still working on form after injury.. Jodie Williams - she definitely one to watch!

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Wed 21 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

It all depends upon how Simeon comes back from injury. I've got a funny feeling about HAA, If he gets his nutrition and training right, he can really become something quite special. I jsut hope he has got the right people around him.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Wed 21 Sep 2011, 5:20 pm

get glen mills around him, that would sort the 'nutrition' issue

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:35 pm

english_osprey wrote:
get glen mills around him, that would sort the 'nutrition' issue

English, that isn't a bad suggestion. That guy has certainly had a lot of success. Well done.

Very exciting stuff with Jodie Williams, i still wish she'd have come to Daegu to compete. Hopefully she will inspire some more youngsters both male and female to take to the track.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by md_fan Thu 22 Sep 2011, 6:48 pm

I've heard a few folks saying that HAA and MLF both need to lose some weight to go faster - way too bulky etc. How does this reconcile with the times that Walter Dix is running and his bulked up body shape (reminiscent of John Regis)? Could Dix beat Bolt if he lost 20 lbs, or would it reduce his power and his speed?

I find the different athlete body shapes fascinating when related to their performances - for example - take Priscilla Lopes-Schliep vs Lolo Jones - very similar times last season but completely contrasting physiques.

md_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:32 pm

md_fan: I don't think HAA needs to lose weight, i think he needs the right conditioning.

But MLF is another story, he does needs to lose weight.

I bet Dix is about 5% body fat when he gets at his peak for a race. Whereas MLF will be around about 18% at best.

I don't think Dix will beat Bolt, unless Bolt has a bad day. Dix hasn't got the stride length, nor the drive that i've seen in Gay. The thing about Gay is, is that he's ripping his body to bits trying to keep up with Bolt, due to the height/stride length difference. I guess we will see how Dix tries to step up...

The Lopes-Schliep vs Jones anology is an interesting one. I don't think either of them had much body fat one them at all. But what about Pearson... truly fantastic running and her technique really clicked into place - we saw a couple of perfect races this year from her. Was amazing.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:00 pm

MLF is about 18% body fat?

Citation please.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Jam Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:23 pm

ryanbailey wrote:...The thing about Gay is, is that he's ripping his body to bits trying to keep up with Bolt, due to the height/stride length difference...

ryanbailey, I agree. Gay looks like his running to the limit

SJ

Strawberry Jam

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:27 pm

dj, you can count me as the citation. I'm very good at these things. Wink

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:44 pm

Well, he hasn't. That's uneducated nonsense. When 20% is considered 'overfat' for non-athletes, there's no way MLF is 18%.

Think before you speak.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:30 pm

As an estimate it is actually very accurate.

He weighs 86kg, he is 182cm tall. The standard method of calculating someones Body Fat percentage is:

(86/ (1.82x1.82)) + (0.23xhis age (28) - 10.2 - 5.4 = 16.8%. not bad for a guess and just looking at him. And that is based upon his figures from a year or so ago. He is looking even more podgy now.

DJ, what is up with you lately? You seem to try taking digs at me all the time these days?

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

where do you get this standard measurement from?

Are these figures right?

according to his wiki entry MLF is 1.85 not 1.82

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

eo. the figures are wrong... missed off the multiplication of 1.2 at the start.

But that doesn't make much difference. As they are fundamentally flawed as its based upon BMI, and as we all know when BMI is involved on very muscular people - rugby players, athletes etc... it shows an anomaly that they're all obese... Due to weight divided by height squared is always going to show musclular people as having a high BMI.

You need to do the electro readings or other such methods.

But just going ona appearance you can see MLF has a spare tyre or two, he even admits it himself. He needs to be a leaner meaner machine... lol... anyways.. happy saturdays to you all!

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:42 pm

Your mistake is comparing a guy like MLF to the completely ripped blokes like Blake, Dix or Jeter and thinking just because he's slightly overweight compared to them, then he's overweight compared to the general population. He's still a fit, muscular guy.

That method for working out bodyfat percentage doesn't work for athletes, you said that yourself. And even with that it comes up with a result that is less than 18.

I'd be surprised if he was much over 10%. I've grabbed his arse, I didn't feel much fat then.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sat 24 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

Walter Dix is 1.75m tall and weighs 86kg and is 25 years old

by your calculations his body fat percentage is 18.23 %

higher in fact than MLF

are you actually talking about 'body fat percentage or bmi?

if the figures are fundamentally flawed why present them as evidence?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sun 25 Sep 2011, 8:37 am

Goodmorning EO, I was talking about Body fat percentage (as mentioned above). Problem is BMI, is a useless tool.

But that calculation i used, fitted my purpose (a bit like your arguments do), in that it doesn't always work out correct.

lol... submit as evidence??? AM i in a court of law all of a sudden?

Come on EO, relax. This is a forum... You need to start thinking with a positive mindset, and start dragging every discussion down to anti-drugs and anti-jamaica and personal attacks on people. We are here to enjoy not to be belittled and insulted by you. So come on try and be pleasant, and stop resorting to personal digs and jibes.

You are destroying this board (you are even becoming worse than that anti-uka guy (can't remember his name, but he got kicked from here for good).

So come on be nice. Chin up.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sun 25 Sep 2011, 9:17 pm

here's the problem ryan
you ask why dj gave you grief? the answer is that it's because you
1. haven't got the vaguest idea about athletics
2. are completely unable to argue a point
3. often say the first thing that comes into your head
4. don't understand the difference between fact and opinion
5. react aggresively when factual errors are pointed out to you.

the bmi thing is a classic
1. you have an idea that mlf is fat
2. to 'prove' your idea you give us a bogus calculation involving height age and weight
3. of those 3 measurments 2 are wrong
4. when it's pointed out to you that you're wrong you get the hump
5. then you suggest that i do the same as you!

there's nothing wrong with opinion but the idea is to have some sort of fact to prove your idea. opinion without fact is mere speculation. you can't pass off speculation as fact.
simple really. perhaps if you could keep that in mind we could all get along/

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Sun 25 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm

EO,

Proven by your many posts.. it doesn't take much to look back through this forum.

I can clearly see i have more knowledge of athletics/training/coaching/fitness than you will ever have.

I admit you may be better at grammar/spelling and debating. But that means diddly in the real world.

Having just read your above post, i can see that you don't actually understand BMI/body fat percentages or methods of calculating them.

I really don't know what you are on or where you get off, but i hope its soon because i think you need to get laid sometime in this life. Anyway, goodnight!

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Sun 25 Sep 2011, 10:30 pm

ryan

1. haven't got the vaguest idea about athletics
2. are completely unable to argue a point
3. often say the first thing that comes into your head
4. don't understand the difference between fact and opinion
5. react aggresively when factual errors are pointed out to you

thanks for the confirmation!
every time you open your mouth you have an ability to put your foot inside it.

how can you possibly know that you know more about coaching than me for example? you have no idea who i am.
interestingly though i think i know who you are. i am sure i've seen you compete!!!

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by ryanbailey Mon 26 Sep 2011, 6:38 am

EO; Come now... I know that i know more than you because of your posts. It is very obvious... All you try and do is belittle every other poster. Rather than actually considering their points, you just attack the poster and then state your opinion.

1. haven't got the vaguest idea about athletics - i think you are talking of yourself.
2. are completely unable to argue a point - - your points are so pathetic they are not worth arguing. 'Every elite performer is taking drugs, especially the jamaicans.' Which bit of athletics do you like?
3. often say the first thing that comes into your head - ??? Why even type that? Don't be so hasty.
4. don't understand the difference between fact and opinion - Why even type that? It is a really stupid thing to say, even for you. You are getting desperate now.
5. react aggresively when factual errors are pointed out to you - only reacting to the way you are, and that is an aggressive little nobody.

1. How can you truly think that most elite performances are drug aided, and yet love the sport of track and field?

2. Which athletes do you believe in the mens 100m are on drugs, who are currently running? (Top 20 in the current period).

3. How would you combat it?

4. How would you improve our current crop of sprinters?

Shall we stop the petty squabbling and go back to the point of a forum? You could try answering the above 4 questions if you wish. See if you know anything. PS. I'm not asking you to do my homework.

ryanbailey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 9:13 am

ryanbailey wrote:

Shall we stop the petty squabbling and go back to the point of a forum?
Excellent idea!
Lets do that shall we and the section will be a lot happier.

Back to top Go down

Post by english_osprey Mon 26 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

ryan

hark, the stamping of tiny feet
do you take part in a jumping event, and are you about 20 years old?

english_osprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Sep 2011, 1:41 pm

Stop with the insults and bickering or temporary bans will be dished out.
Final warning.

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzymiyagh1 Mon 26 Sep 2011, 2:25 pm

Where's the emancipator when you need him...or her Hug

Izzymiyagh1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down