The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keith Earls, team player?

+6
MBTGOG
dublin_dave
Boyne
Sin é
rodders
Kingshu
10 posters

Go down

Keith Earls, team player? Empty Keith Earls, team player?

Post by Kingshu Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:40 am

Is anyone else worried a little by Keith Earls recent comments?

It seams that he see the world cup as a chance to make a name for himself. Theres nothing wrong with that but it should be by making a name for Ireland. Is anyone worried he might try a little to hard, and try to run the ball when he should pass, to try and be a superstar?

From
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14891295.stm

Keith Earls has travelled to New Zealand with the ambition of becoming a "superstar" of the World Cup

"I want to do well and perform on the world stage. I want to be a superstar of the World Cup," said Earls.

"I've struggled for confidence in the past, but I really want to light this tournament up."

and from
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14992095.stm

Keith Earls is keen to be retained in the starting 15 for the Russia game - one which he believes will offer the Irish backline the ideal chance to shine.

Keith Earls is a confidence player, and it good to see he thinks he can be the stand out player of the world cup, but in saying that do you think he may try to run in tries (and maybe not make them) when he should pass to someone in a better position? to try and get a high try count, or even when infield not pass, and elect to go it alone when he shouldn't.

The comments he's making do worry me a bit that he may be out for himself more than the team.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Keith Earls, team player? Empty Re: Keith Earls, team player?

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

Kinshu Earls is a young guy and not the most media savvy.

I don't think there's anything in Earls on field performances to suggest he's anything other than a team player. He certainly is not afraid to put his body on the line in defence.

The only thing that I would be critical of is that he is not playing that great right now and he should be focusing on his own performances rather than making outlandish boasts in the media which will make him a target on the pitch.

I like that he is so ambitious but I'd prefer to see him deliver a bit more on the pitch before coming out with such statements.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

Kingshu wrote:

and from
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14992095.stm

Keith Earls is keen to be retained in the starting 15 for the Russia game - one which he believes will offer the Irish backline the ideal chance to shine.

Keith Earls is a confidence player, and it good to see he thinks he can be the stand out player of the world cup, but in saying that do you think he may try to run in tries (and maybe not make them) when he should pass to someone in a better position? to try and get a high try count, or even when infield not pass, and elect to go it alone when he shouldn't.

The comments he's making do worry me a bit that he may be out for himself more than the team.

All he has said here is that he wants to be involved and he thinks the Irish backline could do with scoring a few tries (because up to now they have been more defence orientated, keeping it tight). I think he is correct in saying that they could use that opportunity to let loose.

Bearing in mind the way he has been moved around, he has been anything but selfish. He is a top class finisher, with pace - I'd say he is coached to go for it if he can.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:22 am

No, I think his comments are fine.

Whats wrong with stating he wants to be a superstar?

I dont see anything anti team in his comments whatsoever.

I would be more worried if he specifically said he didn't give a hoot about the team winning as long as hes the star.

Good ambition, Mr Earls and I hope you realize your ambition.

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

nothing wrong with his comments. move along chaps. nothing to discuss here

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

So he says he wants to be the best he can and there is something wrong in that? Stupid Earls having ambitions eh?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:15 pm

I don't think there's any chance of him making a name for himself anyway, he's rubbish!

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

bathmad wrote:I don't think there's any chance of him making a name for himself anyway, he's rubbish!

Sin get the stats out! Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

roddersm wrote:
bathmad wrote:I don't think there's any chance of him making a name for himself anyway, he's rubbish!

Come on Rodders. Yer man here has a point. He's no Banahan- the Jersey Juggernaut!!

It was gas. Was watching the ITV commentary for the England vs Gerogia game. Banahan gets the ball and makes 2 meters. The commentator screams "Here's the Jersey Juggernaut himself!!!!"....... oh and he passes to nobody Sad

Did that 3 times I think.

🤦

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:22 pm

roddersm wrote:

Let me do the job for you:
Positions played - all of them
Tries scored - less than a prop
Missed tackles - numbers don't go up that high
Defenders beaten - Laugh

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Boyne wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Come on Rodders. Yer man here has a point. He's no Banahan- the Jersey Juggernaut!!

It was gas. Was watching the ITV commentary for the England vs Gerogia game. Banahan gets the ball and makes 2 meters. The commentator screams "Here's the Jersey Juggernaut himself!!!!"....... oh and he passes to nobody Sad

Did that 3 times I think.

🤦

Don't forget the reverse offload that went straight to a Georgian defender!! Laugh
Doh

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

bathmad wrote:
roddersm wrote:

Let me do the job for you:
Positions played - all of them
Tries scored - less than a prop
Missed tackles - numbers don't go up that high
Defenders beaten - Laugh

Yip! Thats him alright!! The Jersey Juggernaut himself!!! laughing

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Boyne wrote:

Boyne I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to mention Banaman in my reply....I thought that would be a bit of a low blow though.... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:38 pm

You've got to hand it to Bananaman though, he's managed to convince MJ that despite having no talent he deserved to go to the RWC. Fair play to him - and not only that he must have a great chance to earn enough cash to do something about that unsightly rash on his neck, maybe get a dermatological sponsorship or something.

As for Earls being too selfish, I'd say the opposite is the case. Far too often he tries to offload or cut inside looking for support when he should back himself to go on the outside. The seed of all the superstar talk is probably coming from a sports psychologist trying to get him to believe in himself a bit more.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

The greatest trick the Bananaman ever pulled was convincing Martin Johnson he is an international player...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Wed 21 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

Honestly, I would love Earls to fulfil his dream of being the superstar of the world cup! Earls is a player who really frustrates me, because it is clear he can rip defences to shreds with his pace and he is a great finisher. But he just seems to lack the confidence on the pitch for Ireland. I really want to see him nail down the 11 position and scare the opposition when they see his name on the team sheet.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down