The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics...

+8
rodders
Thomond
greybeard
Standulstermen
BlueMuff
Rava
Boyne
ME-109
12 posters

Go down

Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics... Empty Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics...

Post by ME-109 Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:35 pm

While Redden had a relatively good game last weekend I think that by the end of the WC Conor Murray will be Irelands no.1. There is something about Redden that well lets just say fails to inspire...whereas Murray looks very self assured when he is on the pitch.

For outhalf its a tough one. Sexton has not performed as well as he can and O'Gara has been playing better than him when you look at form (interesting to see the blue rinse brigade all argueing that ROG should be picked because he is the form player Whistle ). Also Sexton at 12 is an option but should not be our first one. D'Arcy played well enough last weekend and should be no.1. The lack of creativity in midfield is a worry but maybe the eyesight of the two auld fellas is going....

On the overall squad...while TOLs shocker against England was reason enough not to bring him I think that having Boss there is not a good option. TOL (hell Stringer) would have more to offer as the tournament goes on. For the backrow Jennings continues to show (as he did in Argentina and all the other chances he has had) that he is not up to international standard (even against the US). Why Leamy is there ahead of James Coughlan I do not understand...he wont even get his place on the Munster backrow when he returns.

As for the performances...I wouldnt be surprised to see a stuttering game against Russia. The team seem incapable of getting "up" for these sort of games. This is a worry and something that affects Ireland more than other teams...(look at Italy's self assured performance against Russia).

This is now a Heineken Cup situation for Ireland...win the remaining two games and we get a home QF and home SF giving ourselves every chance of getting to the final (sound familiar)....most of these players have been in this situation over the last number of years...there are no excuses now (and I dont mean for DK). If the players fail now to at least reach a SF then it is not Kidney or the coaching staff to blame but the players...they need to stand up and be counted...they have been facilitated (some say pampered) and shown the path (of Righteousness ) to the final...no more excuses lads.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics... Empty Re: Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics...

Post by Boyne Thu 22 Sep 2011, 1:51 pm

Not a very coherent piece. Just what exactly is your main point apart from wumming?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics... Empty Re: Irish Half back pairing and other selection topics...

Post by Rava Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:07 pm

All topics of conversation that have been covered in other articles during the past two or three weeks.

Can only be a WUM
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Thu 22 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

I thought all points were made quiet clearly and agree with them all. Very Happy

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:13 pm

Comprehension doesn't seem to be a strong point for some so let me summarise.
Redden ok. Murray better. Boss not very good at all TOL better than Boss
ROG better than Sexton at the moment
Leamy hasnt been good for awhile and is behind Coughlan in Munster
Jennings is a good provincial player only
Darcy is our best IC

Ireland dont do well against the minnows

The psychology (thats brain stuff) of the rest of the tournament is familiar to the players...
The players dont have any excuses now. Its up to them

Not sure where the wum is there..

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

For me there are a few changes to be made to the Ireland team in the coming 6 months or so and they are by and large dependent on form.

I have wanted ROG in to start during the RWC but after it Sexton should be picked and backed as the starting 10. End of story.

Murray i dont think will usurp Reddan during the RWC but i would hope he has claimed the shirt by the 6N.

Spence to come into the side at centre, be it in one or two games or off the bench. McFadden to be given a chance in the centre also.

Tuohy involved in the squad if he can maintain his form.

Backrow is a conundrum with Wally out, Leamy not getting younger and thus far the young guns at Leinster not really showing up. POM or Faloon perhaps to see the extended squads?

A couple of A games during the 6N would be the perfect opportunity to bring in Gilroy, POM, Faloon, Ruddock, Nagle, Marshall, Cave, Zebo, Ryan, McAllister etc.

Totally disagree regarding TOL being a better option than Boss also. Reddan and Murray are in front of both anyway

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:22 pm

DOD wrote:Not sure where the wum is there..

I don't see it myself either, but I think people are suggesting it's between the chair and the keyboard somewhere Very Happy

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

DOD comes in for a lot of criticism because he wummed on the old place so do other former Wums. There was no Wum in there,he makes some good points. SinÉ isn't a Wum either.

It's all Leinster fans conspiring against us Run

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:24 pm

Standulstermen wrote:
A couple of A games during the 6N would be the perfect opportunity to bring in Gilroy, POM, Faloon, Ruddock, Nagle, Marshall, Cave, Zebo, Ryan, McAllister etc.

Stand apart from Cave (and Spence) none of the above are ready for International Rugby IMHO. Maybe next summer or Autumn for a few of those guys but they need more time for their provinces I think.

Besides as reigning World champions we could have targets on our backs next season... Run
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:35 pm

roddersm wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:

Stand apart from Cave (and Spence) none of the above are ready for International Rugby IMHO. Maybe next summer or Autumn for a few of those guys but they need more time for their provinces I think.

Besides as reigning World champions we could have targets on our backs next season... Run

I'm in a pedantic mood...Ruddock has already played an international test away against Australia Wink

In seriousness, I agree with Rodders...bar a load of injuries I don't think those players will be anywhere close to the six nations squad next year. In a couple of years all you've listed certainly have the potential to be though.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

I think Gilroy may be ready.. we will have to say how he does this season for ulster but I think of all the young provincial players he could be one of the first to break into the Ireland team. I rate him very highly, he is such a strong and pacy winger!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

Thanks Thomond...not! I may take the proverbial on occasion but don't you think naming me as a wum is a little over the top?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

Thats why i said 'A' games lads

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

Doh Sorry Stand!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Thu 22 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

I am so bloody blind with or without glasses, and I had the glasses reading that! Shocking Stand!! Sorry

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:00 pm

basically what Stand is saying is this, Ulster are going to contribute at least half of the ireland squad by time the next world cup comes around, so we may as well get on with it asap! Yahoo

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 22 Sep 2011, 11:02 pm

Regarding the newbies first of all they will need to be playing in the HCup games and then if they are good enough in the A intls

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:02 am

DOD,I was saying you were not a WUM!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 23 Sep 2011, 8:53 am

clivemcl wrote:basically what Stand is saying is this, Ulster are going to contribute at least half of the ireland squad by time the next world cup comes around, so we may as well get on with it asap! Yahoo

About time ye picked up the slack. Leinster are considering giving me a spot on the bench against the Scarlets at this stage!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

clivemcl wrote:basically what Stand is saying is this, Ulster are going to contribute at least half of the ireland squad by time the next world cup comes around, so we may as well get on with it asap! Yahoo

jesus Clive i though i was being subtle. i even threw a few token Munster players!! Very Happy

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down