The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse

+18
Diggers
raycastleunited
Noshankingtonite
turnip
TM2K
JAS
ryan86
Shotrock
oldparwin
George1507
Doon the Water
dynamark
Davie
JDandfries
oldshanker
drive4show
Maverick
super_realist
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse - Page 2 Empty Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse

Post by super_realist Thu 22 Sep 2011, 3:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Simple really.

Best i've been to. Blairgowrie.

Worst. King James VI.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse - Page 2 Empty Re: Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:11 pm

You do wonder how long the americans will tolerate the level to which they are ripped off in St Andrews and still return?

Oldparwin

I know we have had the dress code debate before but I will reiterate, why would you ever worry about what someone else was wearing. I really couldn't care less if someone entered the clubhouse in a gimp suite or a pair of jeans.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse - Page 2 Empty Re: Best clubhouse, worst clubhouse

Post by oldparwin Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:14 pm

Lets face it most golf clubs have the tie rule after 7pm in the evening, when we go out to play golf we always have a tee time about 11am of the course for at least 4pm, sit down in our golf gear for our meal about 4.30pm and gone by 6pm.

So these rules do not really apply to most golfer, except, for about 2 months of the year, when it does not get dark till late

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:15 pm

Mac, I think you could double the prices and the American's would still wet their pants.

If they are paying £140 for a round on TOC + £60 for a Caddy then an over-priced hamburger and pint isn't going to sway them.

OP "Most" clubs? I can't really speak for England, but in Scotland I can count on one hand the number of clubs I know that would invoke that rule.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

Mac

You have stated before that you are not a member of any club, so although on your very infrequent visits to some clubhouses, you might not care what people are wearing, but the members of that club do, as they spent more time in their clubhouse than you, so they impose a dress code, as members that is their prerogative, I can see no problem with that.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:25 pm

OP,I don't think most people have a problem at all with a dress code such as shoes or no hats or jeans, I just think that the Blazer and Tie combo is a little outdated these days,regardless of whether a private members club has the prerogative to invoke the rule or not.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:34 pm

Fortunately, the 'blazer and tie' clubs are pretty rare these days. They seem to be more prominent in the home counties, especially Surrey.

BTW, I'm strongly in favour of dress codes, there is absolutely nothing wrong with standards. It's just a question of getting the balance right.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:35 pm

I love these clubs, and although some of the rules i might not agree with, who am I to say they are wrong, if that's what the members want then its ok with me

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:43 pm

OP, weren't you complaining that Trumps new course wasn't inclusive enough?

I've no problem if a course is outside of my budget, just as certain cars are and I don't expect to get them cheaper than the price, but setting rules on what visitors can wear, especially items of clothing which belong in the 1950's , University Rugby teams, punting down the Cam whilst wearing a straw boater or on Tim Henman's dad seems to be maintaining the stereotype that golf is still a bit outdated and stuffy.
I'm sure no one wants to see jeans, t shirts etc but they could drag things into the modern era a bit.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:50 pm

The thing is the argument that if members want it then it is ok is actually an admission that us golfers need to readjust what is important to us. How could what someone wears ever be so important to someone that they go to the trouble of making a rule about it.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

Back to the point I made about not being allowed in to collect a prize, there was nowhere in the entry sheet that stipulated blazer and tie, as a result over half the entrants could not frequent the clubhouse so they lost a lot of revenue when everyone went home as a result of their stuffiness.

Its actually the more prestigious clubs that don't have outdated dress codes but the smaller ones trying to be better than they are. Ithink a dress code is a good idea but a polo shirt, trousers and shoes are certainly smart enough to be dressed in to enter a bar/clubhouse surely!

How is it in anyway relaxing to have a social pie & pint with with a noose (tie) around your neck! Unless its a gala dinner/presentation then fine.

To say "don't play there then" seems a little bit like a playground attitude because If the club is happy to relieve you of your money to play the course, they should then be happy/civil enough to let you enter the clubhouse and spend more in the bar on beer and food without some old "major" type castigating you for not wearing a blazer old chap.

It is as you say correct that the members decide but then maybe they should also realise for the good of the club its more financially beneficial to have a dress code of polo's, trouser and shoes meaning guests pay fork out more money on food and beverages after instead of scarpering to the local pub as the stuffy old dress code prevents them doing so, thus meaning lost revenue to the club! Just my opinion!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:04 pm

McLaren wrote:The thing is the argument that if members want it then it is ok is actually an admission that us golfers need to readjust what is important to us. How could what someone wears ever be so important to someone that they go to the trouble of making a rule about it.

Mac

A dress code might not be important to you but it is important to a lot of people on here. It doesn't have to be a blazer and tie but as Mav says, what is wrong with polo shirt, trousers and shoes? I don't want to play golf with guys in jeans and football shirts nor do I want to drink in the clubhouse afterwards with guys wearing that sort of clothing. Nothing wrong with it in the pub but sorry, not for me at the golf club.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:14 pm

d4s,
Fair thing is, though, don't let guys wearing football shirts and jeans on the course if you're going to make them change in the bar. Think it's only reasonable to expect to be able to enjoy a bevy in your golfing clobber unless specifically stipulated before you commit to play.

If there's a formal members-only dining room or bar, that's fair game for tie and jacket. Which is probably pretty close to what you and oldpar etc are saying?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm

SR
I had a wee squint at the Castle clubhouse last month.
I thought it looked great and the menu and prices seemed OK.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:25 pm

kwini

yes indeed, on course clothing should also be acceptable in the clubhouse (providing of course it's clean).

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:26 pm

drive4show wrote:kwini

yes indeed, on course clothing should also be acceptable in the clubhouse (providing of course it's clean).

Unless you dress like Rickie Fowler, in which case you should be made to wear a hessian sack over it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:28 pm

Totally agree with this comment, you wouldn't be asked to play in a blazer and tie so why should you wear it to purchase a pint afterwards, as long as your clothing is clean and not wearing spikes unless in spike bar then that surely should be good enough

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

super_realist wrote:

Unless you dress like Rickie Fowler, in which case you should be made to wear a hessian sack over it.

No, a Rickeeee outfit would be perfectly acceptable.....nothing wrong with having a damn good chortle at someone's outfit laughing

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:26 am

drive4show wrote:
super_realist wrote:

No, a Rickeeee outfit would be perfectly acceptable.....nothing wrong with having a damn good chortle at someone's outfit laughing

The thing is, most of these coffin dodgers in their blazer and tie look far more absurd than young Fowler. You see these bumbling old guys in their scruffy tatty balzers, stained ties, and trousers that last fitted them back in 1972... and they comply with the dress code, yet a person strolls into the room in a smart pair of trousers, shoes and open shirt, but is ushered out for the cardinal sin of not wearing a tie.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

ray

your point is absolutely spot on and also...absolutely absurd. It's ridiculous that you can look perfectly smart in an outfit that could have cost a fortune yet not meet the required standard. Being told off when wearing Galvin Green from head to toe by someone that looks like a scarecrow is a bitter pill to swallow.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Fri 30 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

drive4show wrote:Being told off when wearing Galvin Green from head to toe by someone that looks like a scarecrow is a bitter pill to swallow.

Why did LJ tell you off for wearing Galvin Green from head to toe?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

I think people on here are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

1) Ties and Jackets are only required in certain clubhouses after a certain time in the evening

2) Most clubhouses have what is called a wet bar, where no dress restriction apply.

3) Now most clubs are putting hatches for the bars in the patio area to cater for smokers.

So most clubhouses the tie rule does not apply to everyone

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

OP

Pretty much spot on but there are a couple of exceptions, notably when using dining rooms. Swinley Forest and West Hill are two clubs that spring to mind, jacket and tie/cravat even at lunchtime on a scorching hot sunny day!

Still, I'll make allowances for those two courses as they are rather special Wink

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:27 pm

Op, it was only yesterday you said that "most" clubs have a jacket and tie rule? Now it's only "certain" clubs. Headscratch

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:39 pm

Super

You are very good at nit picking, so let me say this:: no I wont bother, as I am to much of a gentleman

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:42 pm

"Too" much laughing

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:44 pm

Think that last post, sums you up to a tee

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

That should be: "I think".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

For goodness sake a blooming cravat.
Last time I saw someone wearing a cravat was Kenneth Williams in a 1960's Carry On film.

Come to that when did you ever see someone wearing 'tailored shorts with long wooly socks' anywhere else but on the fairways of a pretentious golf club.

Goodness me, I had this argument in 1978 and 33 years on the dinasours are still clinging on by their dirty fingernails.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:38 pm

Op
At 'most clubs' the bar and dining room is closed early evenings due to the fact that the 'silent majority' can't be @rsed to put on a jacket and tie.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

Doon OK

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 03 Oct 2011, 11:52 am

Cravat... honestly, that sums up everything that is wrong with golf.

Maybe next time I go to a course I should wear a doublet, ruff, and tunic. What about a toga... it was formal attire 2000 years ago.

I remember when I played Sunningdale a few years ago we had to change into jacket and tie for lunch. Ridiculous as we were going out again in the afternoon. What is wrong with these people?

Whereas I understand the desire to dress up for occasions, I find it quite absurd that I could dine at Nobu or pretty much any other top michelin star restaurant wearing jeans, yet this would not be appropriate in Oldparwin's grotty little clubhouse.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Ray, couldnt agree more. Whever Ive played abroad they dont seem to have the same level of fuss over what you wear, maybe the whole private members thing is a bit different/less common outside of the UK ?
To be honest hand on heart I wouldnt want to have a drink with anyone who thought a jacket and tie were required to do the drinking in. Dont think there would be an awful lot of common ground between me and them.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JPX Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:36 pm

Diggers wrote:To be honest hand on heart I wouldnt want to have a drink with anyone who thought a jacket and tie were required to do the drinking in.

I don't know Diggers, I think that would be an interesting 'discussion'.

JPX

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:46 pm

Was talking about this over the weekend with the guys I played with in the medal yesterday. They were all of the same opinion as the majority of us on here as to why the hell does being in a blazer and noose mean you are dressed appropriately to have a drink.

One of the guys who is a fairly popular fellow at our club always about and no-one has a bad word to say about him either was telling us of his own recent experiences of this. Last month he played in 2 company golf days one for his firm and one for his better halves company. The one for his company a 36hole day down at Wentworth on the East & Edinburgh Courses and they were made totally welcome, no need for shirts and ties just wearing what was acceptable on the course. Even said some members were in very casual wear having just used the gym & tennis facilities, said a fair portion of the members enquired about the round and what they though of the courses. He said it was the most comfortable he ever felt at an away day.

Problem was he then went to a course fairly local to where we are and down at Wrotham and between rounds they were made to don ties and blazers to eat the lunches that were laid on in the restaurant at midday!

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:32 pm

I told this story on 606 but it is worth telling again.

One of my old clubs was a bit posh and four of us had popped into the bar for a quick pint with our golfing clothes on before changing for a county scratch league supper.

The Secretary at the time was a bit of a 'by the booker' and at 5 mins to six reminded us fairly pompously of the club dress rule of jackets and ties after 6 pm in the bar and restaraunt.
My partner was a bit miffed by this as we were well aware of the rule and we were just leaving. At 6.30 having completed the 3 S'S he walked into the dining room immaculately dressed apart from his troosers.

The room exploded in laughter [even the secretary] when he explained that the club dress rules did not mention troosers, just jacket and tie.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2