The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional'

+7
legendkillar
Mr H
JamesLincs
Kay Fabe
Brady12
Marky
ADMIN
11 posters

Go down

Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional' Empty Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional'

Post by ADMIN Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:50 am

Steve Austin spoke to Power Slam to promote his latest movie, Tactical Force. The discussion turns to present-day WWE and he is asked to name which wrestlers he believes can evolve into “money-drawing players” for the sports-entertainment organization. CM Punk heads the top of the list.

“Well, I love CM Punk. That guy is already a star, and he’s just breathed a much-needed breath of fresh air into the wrestling business,” Austin said. “He’s been working for over ten years. I’m a big fan of his—love his skills, love his promos.”

The WWE Hall of Famer then mentions Wade Barrett, Daniel Bryan and the current Superstar most often compared to him, Randy Orton. Austin, however, feels “The Viper” still needs to work on his character and promo ability.

“Of the other guys, I’m still waiting for Wade Barrett to grab me by the throat and let me know who Wade Barrett is. Daniel Bryan could continue to move up the card,” Austin said. “I’m interested to see where Randy Orton goes next. His promos need work, and right now, he’s a little one-dimensional. The crowds are digging him, but there’s still another step on the ladder for him to climb to."

Austin also feels that Alberto Del Rio needs to work on his promos.

“Alberto Del Rio reminds me of Gino Hernandez from the old [Dallas] Sportatorium. [He is] another one who needs to work on his promos-I don’t like them worth a Poopie right now-but he has great ability,” said Stone Cold.

“He just needs to add a few pieces to the puzzle.”

Austin is also high on two SmackDown! talents, including the newly crowned World Heavyweight Champion.

“Christian is a hell of a performer in the ring, and he’s just had a hell of a run. He’s recently added a few exclamation points to his work and his promo style-but, again, there’s at least one more level for him to step up,” he feels.

“Mark Henry has finally put the pieces together. His Money in the Bank match with Big Show was not a great match in the ring. But I love the intensity Mark is putting into his work recently. This persona is really an extension of himself: he’s a big, mean, strong man, and they are presenting that well.”

Orton responded to Austin's remarks this evening on Twitter.

He wrote, "Austin is right, there is still room for me to move up the ladder. And I will. Watch me."

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional' Empty Re: Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional'

Post by Marky Fri 23 Sep 2011, 9:17 am

Should anyone be "moving up the ladder" while on 9 World Championship reigns?

Marky

Back to top Go down

Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional' Empty Re: Austin labels Orton 'One Dimensional'

Post by Brady12 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:17 am

You should write for The Sun Hero!

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:18 am

Some journo is trying to stir trouble here, I read the whole Interview last week, it didn't come across the way the headline is written

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

not much of a response from orton, but im glad he didnt respond negatively

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 23 Sep 2011, 10:43 am

Just going to throw this out there, may be a touch controversial, but is the pot calling the kettle black here? Didnt Austin pretty much portray the same character with the same catchphrases for most of his career? Ok so if Austin was one dimensional he was damn good at it, but i think you could argue that Orton has the tools to play the heel and face better than Austin. We all know how well the Wrestlemania 17 heel turn bombed.

Orton was excellent as a heel in the Mania 25 fued with HHH, he was good in Evolution and good in Legacy. He was also very over when he beat Benoit for the title, and also very over now. I think there are more strings to Orton's bow than what he gets credit for to be fair.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:53 am

I think given the character Orton portrays makes it difficult for him to be a face and cut amazing promo's. As a heel he is brilliant. The punt and unexpected RKO is great. Given the restrictions that the superstars have in a PG environment, I am not sure that Austin would've bloomed so much.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 23 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

Are you two suggesting Orton is better than Austin? If so I definitely disagree and say its not even remotely close

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:15 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Are you two suggesting Orton is better than Austin? If so I definitely disagree and say its not even remotely close

Not in a million years mate. I was implying that its a tad hypocrital of Austin to call Orton 1D considering he portrayed the same character, used the same moveset and the same catchphrases during the biggest success period of his career. Like i said if Austin was 1D he was damn good at it. I also think its harsh to call Orton 1D as again like i said he has more strings to his bow than he gets credit for.

That being said, Randy Orton never has been or never will be in the same league as Austin.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:22 pm

Randy Orton is not better than Steve Austin. John Cena however is miles better than Steve Austin, The Rock and Shawn Michaels rolled into one...

censored Whistle tomato Yikes vomit thumbsdown Sorry

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

I think Orton would be the biggest draw in Wrestling if he lets loose, when he gets loud and wild he looks, sounds and acts far more charasmatic, the last time he did it was after his loss at MitB, he tries to sound far too delibrite all the time, I just don't think it comes across as natural, if he let go and become known for being badass a and wild as well as upredictable his character for me would raise the roof

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by JoshSansom Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:32 pm

I agree with you Gaffer but is the issue with the WWE now? They seem to think that their biggest stars have to be faces even if someone like Orton is better as a heel...?

I too hope that we see a return to the heel Randy though whether or not it will happen until a guy like Miz is given a face turn I am not sure. The other option would be for Punk to go to SD to "lead the show" but personally I think it would be interesting to see SD dominated by a heel instead of the typical strong face/weak heel arrangement.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 23 Sep 2011, 4:49 pm

I didn't say he should be heel, I think he'd be a bigger face than Cena if he could cut loose, thats what would get the fans on his side

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 23 Sep 2011, 5:34 pm

I think the-gaffer has hit the nail on the head and shown what I find so frustrating about Orton. He's supposed to be a bit crazy, angry and all this, and that is how they should present him, but his promos are too slow and I just get bored of what he is saying.

His feud with HHH leading up to WM 25 was the best he was, and I think it's been down hill from there with Orton.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:13 pm

Mr H wrote:Just going to throw this out there, may be a touch controversial, but is the pot calling the kettle black here? Didnt Austin pretty much portray the same character with the same catchphrases for most of his career? Ok so if Austin was one dimensional he was damn good at it, but i think you could argue that Orton has the tools to play the heel and face better than Austin. We all know how well the Wrestlemania 17 heel turn bombed.

Orton was excellent as a heel in the Mania 25 fued with HHH, he was good in Evolution and good in Legacy. He was also very over when he beat Benoit for the title, and also very over now. I think there are more strings to Orton's bow than what he gets credit for to be fair.

H do you know how wrong you are? Astin played different personas throughout his career it was only when he took on the Rattlesnake charecter did he explode though

Orton is basically the same as a face or a heel with a few minor tweaks and hes not the best when it comes to his promos

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Fri 23 Sep 2011, 6:16 pm

the-gaffer wrote:Are you two suggesting Orton is better than Austin? If so I definitely disagree and say its not even remotely close

Not at all. I am just saying that Orton has achieved alot given the restrictions that Austin wasn't faced with. He isn't close to Austin.

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 23 Sep 2011, 7:08 pm

On the flip side I'd say Orton was handed plenty more opportunities than someone like Austin

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down