The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Thing

+3
Kenny
Dass
Adam D
7 posters

Go down

The Thing Empty The Thing

Post by Adam D Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm

John Carpenters remake of the Thing from another World is often regarded not only as the best ever remake but also one of the greatest sci fi and horror films ever.

The film itself is a slow burning tale of body horror culminating in a unforgettable ending.

Last year it was announced that the Thing was gong to be remade again. This time as a prequel. The time is nearly on us as to the premier so I thought it was a great time to look back on the movies.

With regards to the new film, I searched for the new trailer online and found myself quite surprised to actually how good it looked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKjErC2JLQc

So what do you guys think about it?

And what are you are your thoughts on the original?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Thing Empty Re: The Thing

Post by Dass Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:46 pm

I've come to the theory that at the beginning of 1990 John Carpenter were kidnapped by Aliens, it was most probably his own fault for not watching the skies. It's the only reason to explain the sudden dip in the quality of the his film making.

The original film has the claim to be the best of its kind, that B-Movie horror experience that was so prevalent during the period. It excelled in such a era by having a solid plot experience with well developed characters which was often rare in films of its type.

Yet 3 decades on Carpenter would do that ultra rare thing (no pun intended) not only improve with the remake but improve on a film that was already a quality piece of film making. Kurt Russell in his second finest role was excellent in the lead role (Snake Plisken is his finest role). Yet the film excelled in two key areas for me one was the fact it stuck closer to the source material than its earlier creation had and the use of special effects and desire to want not only to scare the audience but terrify them.

The effects were superb for the time and you know you are on to a winner in that department when the critics complain about your film be overly gross.

I'll reserve judgement on the prequel till I've seen it and while the trailer looks ok its numerous how often a film is better as a trailer than feature length. What I will say is I've been encouraged by the cast and director attached to the project and while it would be a hell of an achievement if it claimed a spot alongside its two previous incarnations it has a better chance than most in its position.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:22 am

The trailer looks good , and if it wasn't a re-make/ prequel of one of my favourite sci-fi films id been creaming my pants in anticipation of going to see it . Will try and watch it with an open mind and try not pre judge it .
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by TM Moot Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:07 pm

I caught the last 45minutes of The Thing on tv last night (Sky Horror i think). Absolute classic, yes the effects are old-style (no CGI fluff), but the film is still so good on so many levels.

A prequel has promise, but please concentrate on the story/character development...not just the flashy special effects.

TM Moot

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 am

So anybody able to give the lowdown yet? Huge fan of the 1982 film and was thinking about arranging a trip to the big screen for this one. Any good?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:49 am

The reviews have been marmite so far - people either really liked it or hated it, not much inbetween.

The majority seem not to have liked it though (on Rotten Tomatos, 2./3 reviews were poor)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:05 am

Wouldn't worry about it to much since someone like Roger Ebert has given both this film and the John Carpenter film the same score of 2.5/5 stars. Neither previous adaptation did very well in regards to initial reviews both getting cited for its in your face style but poor lack of characters and story development.

Yet years on both are considered very good films and do extremely well on a site like Rotten Tomatoes.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:11 am

An incredibly good trailer, the original was one of the best films I have seen in it's genre however I have been suckered by trailers so many times now it's getting worrying.
The movie Apollo 18 had me on tenterhooks after watching the trailer... After watching the movie I must say the film was balls.
Could be very good, but I think it will most probably be ok, will rent from lovefilm when it arrives on DVD methinks.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:02 pm

Don't see the point-I already know how it ends, and the trailer just looked like it's just a rehash of scenes from Carpenter's film.

Also Dass, where does Jack Burton rank in your list of Kurt Russell roles?

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:09 pm

I'd have to say he ranks at No3 for me personally though you could easily interchange it with R.J. MacReady at No2 with little or no fuss. Snake Plissken at No1 is away and clear though and I don't have any of his other roles coming close.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm

He was great as Wyatt Earp as well.

1.Snake
2. Jack Burton
3. R.J. MacReady
4 . Cash
5. Elvis

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Wyatt Earp wasn't a bad performance (in fact the film was great), but he was overshadowed by Val Kilmer's Doc.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Dass Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Never really given it much thought beyond the top 3, hadn't thought the topic potential was there for a discussion to take place. I'll have a wee think and see if I can come up with a top 10 for old Kirk.

Dass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down