The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team?

+14
Galted
kwinigolfer
JDizzle
Stella
Gregers
ShankyCricket
jbeadlesbigrighthand
GG
Liam_Main
guildfordbat
Hoggy_Bear
hodge
Barney92
Corporalhumblebucket
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team? - Page 2 Empty Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team?

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 23 Sep 2011, 11:48 pm

First topic message reminder :

The B team would take some beating.

Boycott
Bailey
Bradman
Barrington
Border
Botham
Boucher (wk)
Benaud (capt)
A Bedser
Barnes
Bedi

Very strong on the all rounder front - as well as Botham, Bailey and Benaud could have had Eddie Barlow (SA) as well as Keith Boyce (WI).

Last edited by Corporalhumblebucket on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to include Border....)

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team?

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:11 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Our posts crossed after the Verity inclusion. Shucks, I should have thought of Vettori and Valentine, but it's the batting that needs bolstering and I'm not sure the guys you've dug up can cut the mustard.

True. I had similar with the batting for the F's - luckily there having CB Fry and Flintoff helped lengthen the batting
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team? - Page 2 Empty Re: Which letter of the alphabet could field the strongest test team?

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:28 pm

How about Bill Voce for a V team?

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:32 pm

Funny how similar names crop up at the same time . You had Hobbs, Hammond and Hutton in the 1930s and then there was the 3 Ws in the 1950s as well as Lock and Laker and Loader, and Gooch, Gatting and Gower in the 80s.
Some times the great partnerships, although non-alliterative, go together well - Hobbs and Sutcliffe, Holmes and Sutcliffe, May and Cowdrey, Greenidge and Haynes, Larwood and Voce.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:36 pm

sirfred,

Vaughan
Virgin
Bryan Valentine
Clive van Ryneveld
Peter van der Merwe
Vettori
Viswanath
Van Geloven
Veivers
Venkat
Bill Voce
Alf Valentine
Hedley Verity
Chaminda Vaas

Very short of batting so need 14 players.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:39 pm

could add Vogler to the spin attack

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:41 pm

Roy Virgin was a very good county player and a good one to remember. Forgot all about Tom Veivers - one of those annoying Australians who made far too many runs and took far too many wickets for my liking in Ashes Tests !
Some thought B Valentine should have taken the 46/47 MCC side to Australia rather than a past-it, disinterested Hammond.
Chaminda Vaas ! How could I forget him?
I saw Peter van der Merwe at Lord's and The Oval in 1965 versus England. I saw South Africa's next Test in England, too.......a little matter of 29 years later !

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 12 Jan 2012, 2:47 pm

This recent Lions side had 7 first initial J's and 6 last name Bs, a record?

JJ Roy
J Root
J Vince
J Taylor
J Bairstow
J Buttler
S Borthwick
S Meaker
D Briggs
N Buck
J Brooks

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:32 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Roy Virgin was a very good county player and a good one to remember.

Apologies for repeating a recent story but I think it's rather good! Very Happy

An old friend of mine opened the batting with Roy Virgin more than fifty years ago for Somerset under 19s. They reached lunch without loss. My pal was convinced he had played the innings of his life. The scoreboard showed Somerset were on around 120. However, a closer look showed Virgin was on 90 odd whilst my friend was on 16. Virgin went on to enjoy a twenty year career in county cricket with Somerset and Northants. He also came mighty close to a Test cap more than once. My friend went on to spend a working lifetime in the Life & Pensions industry! Sad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 12 Jan 2012, 3:44 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:Roy Virgin was a very good county player and a good one to remember.

Apologies for repeating a recent story but I think it's rather good! Very Happy

An old friend of mine opened the batting with Roy Virgin more than fifty years ago for Somerset under 19s. They reached lunch without loss. My pal was convinced he had played the innings of his life. The scoreboard showed Somerset were on around 120. However, a closer look showed Virgin was on 90 odd whilst my friend was on 16. Virgin went on to enjoy a twenty year career in county cricket with Somerset and Northants. He also came mighty close to a Test cap more than once. My friend went on to spend a working lifetime in the Life & Pensions industry! Sad

I bet only one of them will die a Virgin though

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Jan 2012, 10:30 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:This recent Lions side had 7 first initial J's and 6 last name Bs, a record?
PSB - No - my side (see start of this thread) had 11 players all beginning with B. Run

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 13 Jan 2012, 10:28 am

Sorry Corporal I must have missed the replay of that game on ESPN classics

Just wondering if they should rename the Lions the " England BJ's"

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Fri 13 Jan 2012, 11:19 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Sorry Corporal I must have missed the replay of that game on ESPN classics

Just wondering if they should rename the Lions the " England BJ's"

Too much of a mouthful.

Whistle

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 13 Jan 2012, 12:00 pm

After the demolition job on the poor Indians today, Warner might make it into the Ws team. It was like watching a 20-20 match.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 15 Jan 2012, 5:24 am

Thought I might take this challenge to a new level : Initials , bah ...

PE Richardson (E)
M Richardson (NZ)
R Richardson (WI)
B Richards (SA)
V Richards (WI)
V Richardson (A) (Chappells' grandfather)
D Richardson (SA) (w/k)
T Richardson (E) (great fast bowler 1890s)
and now I'm struggling , alas...
so filling up with:
Thomas Richmond , who played once for England in 1921 and took 2/86;
Arthur Richardson , modest Australian all rounder from the twenties; and
Clive Rice , a South African who should have played a lot of Tests but for circumstances beyond his control.

OK , I had to cheat a bit , though I could have had Jack Richards , a brief career in the 80s which did nonetheless include an Ashes century, as a second wicket keeper - but it would have unbalanced the team further , and I think I have enough batting Smile Why don't more Richards and their sons bowl ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2