The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red

+19
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
TheDukeofCool
Gatts
Huwball
mystiroakey
flyhalffactory
Shifty
George Carlin
Imperialbigdave
funnyExiledScot
Biltong
offload
HammerofThunor
RuggerRadge2611
propdavid_london
Boyne
tomhughesnice
beshocked
R!skysports
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red - Page 2 Empty Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red

Post by R!skysports Mon 26 Sep 2011, 10:00 am

First topic message reminder :

So another tournament and another batch of what if, we nearly did, we had opportunities and if onlys.

Well I am sorry, but this is simply not good enough. We have failed again and look very likely to not get out of the group stages for the first time ever. That is hard to take on its own, but what is a disgrace is the way we have played. Lacklustre, inept and embarrassing are a few ways to describe it
Scotland fans has been saying for the last few years that we have been improving under Robinson and things are getting better. Well I actually do not see it.

We come last or second last in the 6 nations still. We get beaten in most of our games and take the odd one off scalp here and there. The calls are we beat southern hemisphere opposition, so we must be getting better. Well no, we have been extremely lucky and got breaks

We were comprehensively outplayed by Australia and only a rock solid defence and their in ability to kick let us squeak that one.
We beat South Africa – in terrible conditions, were rugby could not really be played and it was their second team.
We beat Ireland – well we had been smacked around the rest of the Tournament so what does a one off win really mean.
We won the tour in Argentina – great, but only about 3 of their first team were there

Robinson has said he would pick on form – well he hasn’t failed there too.
Ross Rennie is out playing Barclay just now and should have been selected
Morrision never has had any form and the only time we have had an attacking back line was with S Lamont at 12
NDL – is poor and never shown much – Ansbro has been playing better
Gray is out of form and it should have been either Kellock or Hines with Hamilton (How out pack performed against Georgia tells me Hines and Hamilton)
Our bench for the Argentina match was a complete joke.
Parks should not have been in the squad as is not an International player – should have gone with some exciting youth

On top of that Robinson has continually done ill thought through and damaging subs at the 60 mins mark. No flexibility and it seems he has written down a cheat sheet before the game and has to follow it. - Not how a manager should manage a game

Our backs still look clueless and have done for years. Our win loss ratio is no difference from Hadden era

So, while people may call to keep calm, I think Townsend has to go and AR needs to be given a yellow card

We are going to be dropping down the rating at a rate of knots in the next few years, and see us coming last in the 6 nations from now on.
It is a time to panic and without changes (I also mean with the SRU and structure of the game) I think Scotland Rugby will be dead in 10 years (at the very latest)

furious

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red

Post by mystiroakey Tue 27 Sep 2011, 7:51 am

"We lost to an Agentinian side coming into form, and we didnt think

"oh never mind we will win one day"

no you just think that it was a better performance than an english win against the smea team--

my mind is boggling with your tra\sh talk pal.

"You can throw your toys as much as you like"

yolu need to listen to your own advice.

"In the days of Calder, Jeffrey and White you won games by being extremely aggressive and that is what i want to see v England. Not brave losers but gutty fighters. I will be backing the Scots"

the truth is flyhalf- YOUR mentality tells me that you are a plucky loser- you have even brainwashed yourself into thinking that a loss is better than a win!!!!!!!!

so dont get your hopes up to much will ya-you are totally dillusional

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red - Page 2 Empty Re: Andy Robinson on a Yellow – Townsend on a straight Red

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:35 am

I have a wee suggestion, how about yoy guys stop the pointless bickering and get back to the topic at hand?

Thankfully the Scotsman this morning has provided an article that IMO should facilitate in Townsend getting his tatties when he gets back home.

Scotland don't need to score tries

According to Townsend Scotland don't need to Score tries. Well Townsend here is a news flash for you chief, If we are content just to win games by the boot an already empty Murrayfield will get just a wee bit emptier. For the last 10 years I have been going to Scotland rugby matches and paying to see this garbage with my own money.

To be honest I find paying to watch 10 man rugby is a biter pill to swallow at the best of times without the so called "attack coach" basicly coming out and saying it's all we are capable of.

"We don't have to score tries to win the game (against England]. We know we have to win the game by more than seven points but that can be done through penalties and drop-goals." - Gregor Townsend.

This statement surely says it all, he must get the sack when he gets home. No attacking coach in the world would come out and say categoricaly we can't score tries against England. The man is an Embarrasment.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:38 am

Here is another wallop of Embarrasment for us too :

New Zealand 24 Tries
South Africa 20 Tries
England 17 Tries
Australia 15 Tries
Wales 14 Tries
France 12 Tries
Ireland 12 Tries
Italy 10 Tries Playing currently
Somoa 9 Tries
Japan 8 Tries
Canada 7 Tries
Argentina 7 Tries
Fiji 7 Tries
Tonga 6 Tries
Russia 5 Tries
Namibia 5 tries
Scotland 4 Tries
Romania 3 Tries
USA 3 Tries Currently playing
Georgia 1 Try
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

"
"We don't have to score tries to win the game (against England]. We know we have to win the game by more than seven points but that can be done through penalties and drop-goals." - Gregor Townsend"

ermm yeah that really is sad.

Scotland only look to the next england game- not the future of there rugby-which is shortsighted and xenaphobic.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 27 Sep 2011, 8:49 am

flyhalffactory wrote:Alyn
I probably can speak on behalf of all the Scottish posters on this forum.............. you will have to scour pretty hard to find anyone who has said that we are a good team because we have beaten lower ranked teams, we haven't even said we are a good team when we beat Australia, or becoming the first team to beat Argentina in their own back yard, or winning five games on the bounce including Ireland (who recently beat Australia). I also think you will find it highly unlikely that you will find us saying that we have this "world class player" or that "world class player"

But for funding Scotland would be playing the most appropriate opposition and that our A team would be doing the same . As much as I would like to be pitted against the top three in the world, to be beaten consistently twice yearly by their touring party (often consisting of rookies, or 2nd/3rd choices) is in my mind not that beneficial.
Sorry Flyhalf, I wasn't talking about the Scottish posters on this forum, when I was referring to Scotland I meant people like Robinson, Townsend and Andy Nicol who will be slobbering all over themselves when praising themselves for beating teams like Usa, Canada and Romania, now Scotland have decided to go down the Tier B route instead.
Wales pretty much did that in the 90's playing those kinds of teams in the build up to one "big game" against a Tri Nations team, which they nearly always lost by 40 points.
Robinsons win/loss record might look good for doing it, but Scotland won't win any grand slams by doing it, and lets be honest they are due one, it's been 21 years!

Wales for example will play 4 games in November, 3 of them against Tri Nation sides, one game before the summer tour at home, then 3 games on tour against the same opposition! So basically 7 games a year against Tri Nations teams, as well as the 6 Nations.
The more we compete at their level the more we will learn, then when it comes to play the Italys, Scotlands, Samoas and Fijis, we will probably find ourselves losing a lot less.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TheDukeofCool Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:25 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Here is another wallop of Embarrasment for us too :

New Zealand 24 Tries
South Africa 20 Tries
England 17 Tries
Australia 15 Tries
Wales 14 Tries
France 12 Tries
Ireland 12 Tries
Italy 10 Tries Playing currently
Somoa 9 Tries
Japan 8 Tries
Canada 7 Tries
Argentina 7 Tries
Fiji 7 Tries
Tonga 6 Tries
Russia 5 Tries
Namibia 5 tries
Scotland 4 Tries
Romania 3 Tries
USA 3 Tries Currently playing
Georgia 1 Try

RR... that post looks familiar Whistle said Doc

USA are equal with us and Italy are ahead of France and Ireland

I thought the last RWC couldnt get any worse. If you look ate the stats, just keeping it respectable against England may be a major achievement, never mind win by 8pts.

TheDukeofCool

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:30 am

why do people think that townsend will straight away get the sack and not robinson?

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

cricketfan90 wrote:why do people think that townsend will straight away get the sack and not robinson?

Question : What has Robinson done wrong?
Answer : Not much.

However our so called "attack coach" seems to have coached our players who have good try scoring records at club level Danielli, Walker and De Luca to name 3 and coached them to butcher simple try scoring oppertunities week in week out.

As that article suggests, Townsend thinks it is acceptable to win games by the boot and play anti rugby. I'm sorry the likes of Irvine, McGeechan, Rutherford, Hastings and Tait all had their hall marks in free flowing running rugby. Townsend seems to think it's acceptable to catapult the likes of Jim Hamilton, Kelly Brown and Al Strockosch into the fringes of the ruck under the guise of attacking play.

Townsend will I have no doubt have a lot of influence on what backs come out for Scotland and to be honest I can think of a handful of players who are stifling the free flowing rugby some of these players are capable of.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

Guys, this is all one big crafty plan from Townsend, fooling England into thinking that we'll play a tight game.

I'm sure come Saturday the bonus point win will be a formality for Scotland.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 9:59 am

Not sure whether to Laugh or Sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:09 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Not sure whether to Laugh or Sad

I'm glad someone can laugh about it. I have found it pretty hard to communicate beyond the occasional grunt at my Mrs who's advice was to "get over it" furious

Easier said than done. We're pretty gash at rugby and will be for the foreseeable future.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:32 am

Are there any decent backs (specifically fly halfs/centres) playing for the Scottish rugby league team we can poach?

England and Wales have done it before with some notable success.

Running through gaps, support play and efficient offloading are part and parcel of their game due to only having 5 phases.

Seems drastic I know, but desperate times and all that?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Not sure whether to Laugh or Sad

I'm glad someone can laugh about it. I have found it pretty hard to communicate beyond the occasional grunt at my Mrs who's advice was to "get over it" furious

Easier said than done. We're pretty gash at rugby and will be for the foreseeable future.
Don't you just love understanding women, Radge?!?!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:Are there any decent backs (specifically fly halfs/centres) playing for the Scottish rugby league team we can poach?

England and Wales have done it before with some notable success.

Running through gaps, support play and efficient offloading are part and parcel of their game due to only having 5 phases.

Seems drastic I know, but desperate times and all that?
Tattie, oddly enough, we've got a crop of fairly decent youngsters coming thru at 10/12 in the next few years, but we'll need to see how they develop - sadly it wasn't in time for the RWC Sad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:13 am

As...

Fair enough but my worry is....will we have a competitive pack to compliment those backs especially the front row?

I heard Weir's try at the weekend was a cracker.

I know FES is dead against bringing him in but the idea of Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 might be a possibility, although Jackson's defence is nothing to write home about.

But for all the depression surrounding our game at the moment, here's a little pick me up for all you Scots out there....

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ob6l_mighty-whitie_music

Ignore the advert at the beginning.

Enjoy!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

I don't think rugby league is the place to look. More miss than hit really crossing the divide. For every Jason Robinson there are a handful of Farrell's, Hape's and Harris'.

We just need to get the message to Glasgow and Edinburgh that the 10 and 12 positions need to be developed. To be fair, they do seem to be trying, it's just as ASBO says, several of the promising youngsters are a couple of years away from being ready. In the meantime I hope Jackson can harvest some experience.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I know FES is dead against bringing him in but the idea of Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 might be a possibility, although Jackson's defence is nothing to write home about.

I was against Weir being in the WC squad, but I think the idea of Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 is a good one for Glasgow this season. I'd like to see that tried for a few games, and take it from there. If Parks retires after the WC, then Weir will surely come into the Scotland squad. Other than Jackson, who else is there??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I know FES is dead against bringing him in but the idea of Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 might be a possibility, although Jackson's defence is nothing to write home about.

I was against Weir being in the WC squad, but I think the idea of Weir at 10 and Jackson at 12 is a good one for Glasgow this season. I'd like to see that tried for a few games, and take it from there. If Parks retires after the WC, then Weir will surely come into the Scotland squad. Other than Jackson, who else is there??

Greig Laidlaw?

To be fair I can't help but think he might have made a better display of himself than either Lawson, Blair or Cusiter have. Parks was pretty damning of Blair's hospital pass that resulted in "that drop goal miss". I just feel our scrum halves have not had enough of a go. When Blair was short listed in the IRB player of the year shortlist he was prone to making those sniping runs that he has seemed to forget how to do these days.

Cusiter is always Injured and Lawson's decision making is not brilliant. I would love to see a backline in the 6N that looks something like this :

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. S.Lamont / Jones
12. Weir
13. Ansbro / NDL / Bennet
14. Evans
15. R.Lamont

A balence of some big guys and some quick runners. I would rather see this team go out and try and play rugby, rather than be subjected to Morrison's endless single minded, 1 dimensional, gym monkey, crash ball antics. Scottish fans deserve better. Try this sort of stuff out and if it doesn't work, at least we'll know.

Wales have no problem giving youngsters a chance who at the time had not "established" themselves over the course of a season. Gatts saw the likes of Halfpenny, North and Preistland playing well and he gave them a shot. Those youngsters took it. Why can't our youngsters (Jones, Weir, Bennet) do the same thing?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 27 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

[quote="RuggerRadge2611"][quote="funnyExiledScot"]
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:, rather than be subjected to Morrison's endless single minded, 1 dimensional, gym monkey, crash ball antics. Scottish fans deserve better. Try this sort of stuff out and if it doesn't work, at least we'll know.

I would even consider it an almost acceptable option if he actually ran fast into contact, rather than slow down and cough up the ball like wet haddock drying in the mid afternoon Scottish sun while having a Mr Whippy with 99 cone on the bonny banks of Loch Lomond

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

Greig Laidlaw?

To be fair I can't help but think he might have made a better display of himself than either Lawson, Blair or Cusiter have. Parks was pretty damning of Blair's hospital pass that resulted in "that drop goal miss". I just feel our scrum halves have not had enough of a go. When Blair was short listed in the IRB player of the year shortlist he was prone to making those sniping runs that he has seemed to forget how to do these days.

Cusiter is always Injured and Lawson's decision making is not brilliant. I would love to see a backline in the 6N that looks something like this :

9. Laidlaw
10. Jackson
11. S.Lamont / Jones
12. Weir
13. Ansbro / NDL / Bennet
14. Evans
15. R.Lamont

A balence of some big guys and some quick runners. I would rather see this team go out and try and play rugby, rather than be subjected to Morrison's endless single minded, 1 dimensional, gym monkey, crash ball antics. Scottish fans deserve better. Try this sort of stuff out and if it doesn't work, at least we'll know.

Wales have no problem giving youngsters a chance who at the time had not "established" themselves over the course of a season. Gatts saw the likes of Halfpenny, North and Preistland playing well and he gave them a shot. Those youngsters took it. Why can't our youngsters (Jones, Weir, Bennet) do the same thing?
Radge, I saw that - no mention of his urine-poor penalty to the corner that only went out due to some hapless Arg handling - the cheek!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:14 pm

In some articles there's a picture of AR with his arms around Morrison and Parks.

I hope to god he's saying:

" Well boys, this is probably the last time we'll ever see each other, so I'd just like to wish you luck for the future - Dan, you at Aberavon 3rd's and Greame, you at Elgin vets"

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

To be honest I've never seen Weir play at 12, and I've never seen Bennett play full stop, so I can't really suggest that they play there at international level.

Wales gave the likes of Priestland a chance because their club form merited it. Had we had a fly half playing to the level of Priestland in the Rabo League, I'm certain he'd be our first choice. Surely you're not comparing the achievements of Weir and Bennett to Priestland and North? Totally different kettle of fish.

What we're essentially asking is that Robinson just pick young players regardless of form and merit, in the blind faith that by default they have to be better than the current lot.

As I said before, I'd like to see Jackson play 12 with Weir at 10 in Glasgow colours, and I'd like to see Hunter and Leonard given a shot at Edinburgh. Let's just take it from there.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

Elgin vets laughing

I'm a Forres man myself, not even sure if we have a rugby team.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:31 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:As I said before, I'd like to see Jackson play 12 with Weir at 10 in Glasgow colours, and I'd like to see Hunter and Leonard given a shot at Edinburgh. Let's just take it from there.

Happy for that to happen, but will Bradley and Lineen play it that way? Unlikely I'd say.

I'm also nto really trying to compare anyone to anyone else. I'm just using Gatland's gutsy decisions to try and exemplify what we need Robbo to do. We know Morrison and Parks is not working so why oh why do we keep playing them? The excuse of Morrison is the best of a bad bunch does not wash either. Henderson was rubbish and he got binned. Why has Morrison evaded the axe for so long? He is just as bad as Henderson and pretty much muzzles our powerful strike runners out wide (Danielli, Lamont, Evans).

I already have tickets for Scotland England in the 6N but if Morrison is still in the mix by then I won't be buying any more tickets for the France game or going to Cardiff. I don't mind mistakes by anyone, Robinson included. Failing to learn from those mistakes is unforgivable and Morrison has been AR's biggest mistake of his tennure. His over reliance on someone who is "defensively safe" is the wrong way to go about picking a team for test match rugby. It's like a boxer going into the ring and saying "my best strategy is to get 7 coulours of poopie knocked out of me for 12 rounds, but it's ok my defence is good and that will win me the bout".
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 27 Sep 2011, 12:36 pm

[quote="RuggerRadge2611"]
funnyExiledScot wrote: His over reliance on someone who is "defensively safe" is the wrong way to go about picking a team for test match rugby.

And the irony is, it was Morrisons mistake that cost us the try, the game and proberbly the quarter final spot Doh - shooting out the line to double tackle a player leaving a overlap - people seem to have conviently forgotton to mention that

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

I went into a giant huff after Sunday's crap as I was trying to bounce back from Friday's double crap at Firhill ! Weir is never ready for Scotland on the evidence of friday's display. Good try, which he started , finished and converted then nothing but missed penalties and easy drop goals. replaced and his repalcement , Wight, was even worse. Utter garbage. Then Edinburgh lose to Aironi on Saturday. Our game is in tatters and on its death bed.

We have no chance on Saturday of winning at all, never mind by 8 ! Radge had it spot on - why we have persevered with Townsend is a mystery known only to Robinson and the SRU blazerati. Why Kellock, Cusiter, Ansbro and R Lamont were omitted is equally baffling. Form players my arse Robinson - you are a total knob and that Holly Wilaboobie Townsend is even worse. SRU may as well bankrupt themselves and pull the plug and prevent further humiliation. I, amongst many others, will not invest another penny of my hard earned on the sort of garbage I saw at the weekend.
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:11 pm

I think it's outrageous to kick a man when he is down, so apologies for adding to the depression, lads, but i just picked this up from the ASM Clermont Auvergne offy site's injury news section: "Mark Bennett (lésion ligaments croisés du genou)" - now my French may not be of the highest order, but that doesn't sound good Sad Cry

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

Good to have input from someone at the Glasgow game.

Having read the reports, I think it's pretty bold to suggest Weir is ready for international rugby when he's an underperforming novice at what is essentially an amateur league at the moment.

Hopefully, with the Scotland contingent back to boost Glasgow, Weir will get more front foot ball, but by all accounts, that wasn't the problem on Friday. He just wasn't good enough to create space against Treviso. Worrying.

As for the omitted players you mention, Kellock didn't deserve to play based on recent form, and neither did Cusiter. Those selections were right. I thought the NDL call ahead of Ansbro was wrong, but NDL had been playing well.

The worst selection was Morrison, followed by the silly substitutions. I think most of us wanted to see S Lamont play 12. He could have then played either Ansbro or Danielli on the wing. That would have been a better selection.

The other contentious decision was Barclay over Rennie. Personally I agreed with the call, but it must have been close.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:15 pm

ASBO, he wasn't going to be playing rugby there anyway. He went for the sunshine and a holiday - disgraceful decision to leave Glasgow Wink

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:28 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Guys, this is all one big crafty plan from Townsend, fooling England into thinking that we'll play a tight game.

I'm sure come Saturday the bonus point win will be a formality for Scotland.

A canny Scot that Gregor....i agree but it is a tad obvious

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Tue 27 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

Scotland's problem is not at the top level - they do phenomenally well with very poor resources really. The problem is from grass roots up.

I live in Glasgow and I have only ever seen one advert for the Warriors - on the side of a taxi. No one knows that the team are even there. Freshers week just took place at the unis. I work at one of them and there was not a single iota of a mention of the pro team.

You turn on the local news and your lucky to get 5 mins a MONTH about either Glasgow or Edinburgh. The game is marketted so badly that no one watches. If no one watches there is no money. If no one watches then the kids aren't inspired to play. If there is no youth rugby and no money then what have you got? Nothing really.

Some people are very passionate about rugby in Scotland, but they are few in number and there are almost zero casual fans - people either are die hard or don't care. Until the SRU gets more bums on seats their absolutely uggered with a b. Most people who cared about rugby in the past were from the borders and they don't even have a pro team now.

If something is not done soon then it'll be too late - it gets harder and harder as your team gets worse and worse to make anyone watch them.
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

fES, hear what you are saying but when has Blair turned up recently ? I would rather have Tony Bleedin Blair out there and i f'n hate his smarmy guts. Lawson poor to average ditch him altogether along with Parks and De Luca. Morrison good club centre but not International class - a bit like the other 29 players to be honest.
Jim Telfer was also spot on re Richie Gray - i.e stop poncing about modelling or whatever and concentrate on rugby - too late now I know.

All utter crap along with Robinson and fud-face Townsend !

If anyone cared we would pelt them with rotting fruit when they return this weekend but apathy reigns !

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:19 pm

I do wish you'd speak your mind Schizoid.

Getting bored of your fence sitting.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:26 pm

Tattie,

I used to care but now I honestly could not care less. A group of us were thinking of going to watch Sale play - 3 hours ish to there from Glasgow. At least we would see some rugby unlike at Murrayfield or Firhill !

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Tue 27 Sep 2011, 5:46 pm

Weir Played 12 at age grade the season before he started at the warriors and was apparently a completely different player, man of the match i believe in a victory over france. Id be more inclined to play him at 12 and Jackson at 10, seeing as hes also a bit more... beefy.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:26 am

screamingaddabs wrote:Scotland's problem is not at the top level - they do phenomenally well with very poor resources really. The problem is from grass roots up.

I live in Glasgow and I have only ever seen one advert for the Warriors - on the side of a taxi. No one knows that the team are even there. Freshers week just took place at the unis. I work at one of them and there was not a single iota of a mention of the pro team.

You turn on the local news and your lucky to get 5 mins a MONTH about either Glasgow or Edinburgh. The game is marketted so badly that no one watches. If no one watches there is no money. If no one watches then the kids aren't inspired to play. If there is no youth rugby and no money then what have you got? Nothing really.

Some people are very passionate about rugby in Scotland, but they are few in number and there are almost zero casual fans - people either are die hard or don't care. Until the SRU gets more bums on seats their absolutely uggered with a b. Most people who cared about rugby in the past were from the borders and they don't even have a pro team now.

If something is not done soon then it'll be too late - it gets harder and harder as your team gets worse and worse to make anyone watch them.

Thanks for this post Screaming - really quite worrying.

When I was at Glasgow Uni, there was NOTHING about rugby advertised - I had to look hard to hunt out where the Uni team was based.

Glasgwegians are sports fans and I think will potentially watch anything (look at how packed the Kelvinhall is for indoor athletics) - they just need it slickly, consistently and professionally marketed.

LOCAL advertising is needed very badly and given how much our football team currently sucks, surely to Oprah there is an opportunity there. Make fun of the Ospreys all you want (and I do) but they have the hard sell down pat.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gmclachl Wed 28 Sep 2011, 8:36 am

Perhaps I am just propagating the myth of tight Scotsmen, but I live in Glasgow and frankly I refuse to pay £20 for a ticket to watch the warriors.
I know you can buy any game tickets for £10, but that involves an extra steps (albeit small)

If I could just turn up and pay £10, then I would attend many more games.

gmclachl

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Wed 28 Sep 2011, 9:21 am

George Carlin wrote:

Thanks for this post Screaming - really quite worrying.

When I was at Glasgow Uni, there was NOTHING about rugby advertised - I had to look hard to hunt out where the Uni team was based.

Glasgwegians are sports fans and I think will potentially watch anything (look at how packed the Kelvinhall is for indoor athletics) - they just need it slickly, consistently and professionally marketed.

LOCAL advertising is needed very badly and given how much our football team currently sucks, surely to Oprah there is an opportunity there. Make fun of the Ospreys all you want (and I do) but they have the hard sell down pat.

You're right, simple advertising works. Why they don't blitz the students is beyond me completely.

What is really annoying is that it would not be hard, nor expensive to advertise the Warriors at the universities. It's currently the week after fresher's week, there are loads of students milling about but there are fewer distractions. Even if they simply blanket flyered the area for a few days they would get some response. If they did this alongside a student deal for a couple of matches (first pint free with your match ticket and student card?) and pushed the "friendly atmosphere where you can watch top level sport and have some drinks with your mates" line then crowds would definitely increase. If even 5-10% became regulars, or even went to 5 or 6 games a season then this would really help. They would tell their friends etc. It's not hard!
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 28 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

Yes, the under funding at the SRU is almost criminal

Spend to grow, or cut and die

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 28 Sep 2011, 1:00 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:fES, hear what you are saying but when has Blair turned up recently ? I would rather have Tony Bleedin Blair out there and i f'n hate his smarmy guts. Lawson poor to average ditch him altogether along with Parks and De Luca. Morrison good club centre but not International class - a bit like the other 29 players to be honest.
Jim Telfer was also spot on re Richie Gray - i.e stop poncing about modelling or whatever and concentrate on rugby - too late now I know.

All utter crap along with Robinson and fud-face Townsend !

If anyone cared we would pelt them with rotting fruit when they return this weekend but apathy reigns !

I thought Blair was pretty decent in the warm-ups and possibly deserved to start ahead of Lawson (who was poor in the warm-ups). Difficult to ditch these guys when there's no-one better. Cusiter is my pick of the scrum halves, but he's not being playing enough recently to merit selection. Of the rest, Gregor can't pass and Pyrgos has just disgraced himself at Glasgow against Treviso by all accounts.

I do think Laidlaw should have gone to the WC in place of either Blair or Cusiter (given fitness and form probably Cusiter) though, that was an error.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2