The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations?

+28
Scot Abroad
Shifty
Pat_Mustard
Morgannwg
Manky-Flanker
thegreenhat
bsando
Geordie
NeilyBroon
Chjw131
flyhalffactory
majesticimperialman
21st Century Schizoid Man
SecretFly
geoff998rugby
funnyExiledScot
ghad
Imperialbigdave
nickj
IanBru
Hollbeck Ghyll
eirebilly
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
RuggerRadge2611
TJ1
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
R!skysports
32 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations?

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Vote_lcap26%Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 11 ]
Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Vote_lcap30%Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 13 ]
Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Vote_lcap44%Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Vote_rcap 44% 
[ 19 ]

Total Votes : 43

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Empty Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations?

Post by R!skysports Wed 01 Feb 2012, 9:36 am

Simple Question -

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Empty Re: Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations?

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:02 am

Risky, a simple question, with a simple answer - an emphatic YES. The final straw is his selection of Parks, a move that beautifully illustrates Robinson's deficiencies

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations? Empty Re: Should Andy Robinson go after this 6 nations?

Post by TJ1 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:03 am

Yes

I didn't want hi in th first place - he failed with England and showed that decent club coach he may be, international coach he is not.

I wanted him sacked after the world cup - two close defeats, his selections and substitutions made the differnce

his record with Scotland is poor to say the least, he has shown he is a poor selector. Selecting Parks instead of Laidlaw - a limited out of form player for a more rounded in form player shows this.

Thanks Mr Robinson -don't let the door hit yo on the way out

Todd Blackadder is the man we should be after.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:05 am

A Grand Slam wouldn't save him in my books.

It probably would in the SRU's eyes though.

His selection of Dan Parks is one of madness and his insistance on playing 10 man Rugby is too much for me to bear anymore.

Toonie to be shown the door too. An attacking coach who thinks you don't need to score tries. Where is that facepalm icon?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:06 am

Option 3 is the obvious answer, dependant on his contract and the financial viablity of the SRU

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:10 am

If Robinson had the funds to employ a decent attacking coach then Scotland would be a much better team. Robinson is a fine manager working on a shoe string budget. I would keep him and try to get a decent backs coach to assist him.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollbeck Ghyll Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:15 am

Hold on a minute. I'm as disappointed as anyone at Parks starting, but are we not getting carried away a bit? It wasn't so long ago that we were hailing Robbo for bringing Scotland on leaps and bounds. He's just signed a contract for a good few years yet, and talking of chucking him would be a big financial hit that the SRU can't really take.
Lets see how the 6N progresses. If insists on staying with Parks, then things won't be looking good. But he has acknowledged that Laidlaw will get gametime, so you never know, he may prove himself in the last 20 mins and get a start the following weekend.

Hollbeck Ghyll

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:15 am

Quite simple. No.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:21 am

No way. I feel quite strongly about this. Yes, this is a critical campaign for Robinson but a ball hasnt been kicked in anger yet.

Yes, I would have preferred Laidlaw to Parks, but I can see Robinson's reasons for picking Parks for the England game. I guarentee the majority of Scots rugby fans wont give a monkey's who played if we beat the English on Saturday. Monday's 6N's table certainly won't (unless we count tries scored).

My priority is winning and Parks gives us a basis for winning the game. Just remember how well he has played for us in the past. No, its not pretty but its a viable option. I'd love us to have a controlled and measured first half and a 6 point lead, then bring Laidlaw on for some sparkle.

Scottish and Edinburgh Rugby was in a hell of a state when Robinson came in. I was surprised a coach of his calibre even considered touching us.

Yes, we've helped re-build his reputation too, but he has worked wonders on a shoestring. Robinson has boosted confidence, professionalism and most importantly expectations in our game. The result of which is sentiment like this thread.

He has done enormous amounts for Scottish rugby and

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

Hollbeck Ghyll wrote:Hold on a minute. I'm as disappointed as anyone at Parks starting, but are we not getting carried away a bit? It wasn't so long ago that we were hailing Robbo for bringing Scotland on leaps and bounds. He's just signed a contract for a good few years yet, and talking of chucking him would be a big financial hit that the SRU can't really take.
Lets see how the 6N progresses. If insists on staying with Parks, then things won't be looking good. But he has acknowledged that Laidlaw will get gametime, so you never know, he may prove himself in the last 20 mins and get a start the following weekend.

he took the team forward initially yes, but has stagnated for a year and a half now. If theres not improvement by the end of this year, including the six games Scott Johnson will be with us for, then his time has come and gone.

The main issue is his urine poor selection. Its amazing how such a good coach can be such a poor selector, and dont get me started on Townsend. Hired on playing reputation alone...
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:22 am

Hollbeck Ghyll wrote:Hold on a minute. I'm as disappointed as anyone at Parks starting, but are we not getting carried away a bit? It wasn't so long ago that we were hailing Robbo for bringing Scotland on leaps and bounds. He's just signed a contract for a good few years yet, and talking of chucking him would be a big financial hit that the SRU can't really take.

Laidlaw can't do anymore to prove himself to be better than Parks than he has already done all season. As I have said many times how could Robinson have watched Edinburgh vs London Irish and picked anyone other than Laidlaw at 10.

As someone on another thread pointed out AR is one of the worst coaches we have ever had. The worst 6N performances and worst RWC performance in our history. tomato
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:25 am

nickj wrote:No way. I feel quite strongly about this. Yes, this is a critical campaign for Robinson but a ball hasnt been kicked in anger yet.

Yes, I would have preferred Laidlaw to Parks, but I can see Robinson's reasons for picking Parks for the England game. I guarentee the majority of Scots rugby fans wont give a monkey's who played if we beat the English on Saturday. Monday's 6N's table certainly won't (unless we count tries scored).

My priority is winning and Parks gives us a basis for winning the game. Just remember how well he has played for us in the past. No, its not pretty but its a viable option. I'd love us to have a controlled and measured first half and a 6 point lead, then bring Laidlaw on for some sparkle.

Scottish and Edinburgh Rugby was in a hell of a state when Robinson came in. I was surprised a coach of his calibre even considered touching us.

Yes, we've helped re-build his reputation too, but he has worked wonders on a shoestring. Robinson has boosted confidence, professionalism and most importantly expectations in our game. The result of which is sentiment like this thread.

and.......?

+1 though on your assesment. Robinson is doing a fine job with the resourses he has.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Laidlaw can't do anymore to prove himself to be better than Parks than he has already done all season. As I have said many times how could Robinson have watched Edinburgh vs London Irish and picked anyone other than Laidlaw at 10.

As someone on another thread pointed out AR is one of the worst coaches we have ever had. The worst 6N performances and worst RWC performance in our history. tomato
Even worse than Captain Haddock mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:27 am

nickj wrote:No way. I feel quite strongly about this. Yes, this is a critical campaign for Robinson but a ball hasnt been kicked in anger yet.

nick, in 3 words, you've said it all - nothing the like of which has been seen for ages since furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:27 am

Why can't Scotland just get a coach to pick the best players?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:28 am

Oh good, as long as the twice a year at Murrayfiled brigade are happy, then he must be doing a good job - let's not kid ourselves any longer

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:30 am

If he got his renewed contract pre-RWC WITHOUT any get-out provisions based on success, then whoever signed that should be shot mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:33 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why can't Scotland just get a coach to pick the best players?

Because the best players arent Scottish?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:If he got his renewed contract pre-RWC WITHOUT any get-out provisions based on success, then whoever signed that should be shot mad

Youd essentialy be shooting yourself if you signed a contract that had provisions of success in for Scotland lets face it.
Faliure to qualify form a group that had two better teams in isnt a crime gainst humanity, everyone thinks the Samoans are gods for doing the same.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:39 am

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:Why can't Scotland just get a coach to pick the best players?

You know what I meant, and if you didn't you're more of a fool than Andy Robinson. Wink

In context I meant the best Scottish Players!

Or failing that some of the best Welsh Players.....like Shingler thumbsup

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:40 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Oh good, as long as the twice a year at Murrayfiled brigade are happy, then he must be doing a good job - let's not kid ourselves any longer

ASBO et al, I am not saying I am happy to make do, nor do I think the SRU will or should settle for more of the same. But a ball has not been kicked yet and we do not know what Toonie and Robinson are planning on Saturday.

Yes, they have played a safe hand by selecting Desperate but who's to say they are blind to Laidlaws talents? They have put him in the match day 22 and they have mentioned that he will get game time, bar telling us what minute he's coming on, what more do you want?
They have decided against playing Laidlaw for a reason.

Lets get behind Parks, hope he builds a good platform while he's on the pitch and changes a habit of a lifetime by giving De Luca and Jones some ball to play with and then Laidlaw can come on to play some football after half time.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by ghad Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:41 am

Should we not wait until we get pumped by England then have this poll?

The majority of posters seem to be fairly satisfied with the rest of the team. Who's to say that Laidlaw won't come on after halftime once Andy Robinson has gauged what this new England outfit look like?

I am glad that the focus has now shifted away from Parks and on to Robinson however, as the other thread was getting fairly vitriolic. Lets support the team.

ASBO, as an ardent Glasgow fan I do not wish to fall in to your twice a year Murrayfield Brigade, I just feel that this is spiralling out of control in the same vein as WE'RE ALL DOOMED!

Yes, Toonie should have gone after the RWC and the comments he made, but I feel it's all rather cosy in the mgmt team and nobody wanted to hurt Gregor's feelings.

ghad

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:43 am

eirebilly wrote:

and.......?

+1 though on your assesment. Robinson is doing a fine job with the resourses he has.

Sorry but he is not doing a good job - we have gone backwards - we keep talking about how positive the moves are, how close we are to winning etc etc - It is getting boring

We failed to get out of the WC group stage - which was almost entirely donw to his selection
We have come last or 2nd last in the last million 6 nations
We have won nothing - (don't start on two lucky wins against the SH teams - the day to day we are pants)
He has not brought on youth - and relies on terrible terrible players, who have proved they can not hack it
The only youth he has brought in this year (before you mention it) was FORCED by injury - do you think we would have seen Denton or Jones otherwise - No I think not

He has taken us nowhere and looks like keeping Parks at the helm - we are slowing drifting onto the Rocks of dispair

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:48 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:

You know what I meant, and if you didn't you're more of a fool than Andy Robinson. Wink

In context I meant the best Scottish Players!

Or failing that some of the best Welsh Players.....like Shingler thumbsup

Thtas kind of who I was refering to Wink

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:12 am

3rd option for me. Robinson should be judged on results. The only way he could stay and finish in the bottom two would be if he had made some effort to develop the team and its style of rugby. That clearly is not on his agenda with his team selection and accordingly he's setting his stall out.

Top half finish or he goes.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:27 am

So a nice split on the voting so far - will re-post the poll after the game to see if they performance makes a difference

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:35 am

Some with short memories Matt Williams was far worse

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:55 am

geoff998rugby wrote:Some with short memories Matt Williams was far worse
Does comparison of Robinson to either of Williams or Hadden justify anything? In a word, no

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:08 pm

I get what your saying.

But it's a bit like saying : "In the past I have had Ebola, Lassa Fever and cholera. But it's ok, now I only have the bubonic plague. So thats much better!"
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

Does comparison of Robinson to either of Williams or Hadden justify anything? In a word, no

It does when you compare results.....

I think AR has the worst record on results...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:11 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I get what your saying.

But it's a bit like saying : "In the past I have had Ebola, Lassa Fever and cholera. But it's ok, now I only have the bubonic plague. So thats much better!"

king

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 01 Feb 2012, 12:14 pm

If he wins the championship, why should he go?

-----------------He won't?----------------

Well........................... there've been better years for being so confident about that prediction.

We all say now that Italy know they can win (big games) and might have a thing or two to say about who cruises through this championship. No not them, but many think they now have the potential to upset the 'form' bible.

So Scotland doesn't have it in them to better those ideas about Italy?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 01 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

As someone hinted at earlier it is the Barnton/St Andrews 'Mexican Wavers' who fill Murrayfield on 6Ns days do not care who wins, who is playing, what they are playing or what nationality they are. They want to have a day out and time standing up for the childish, pathetic, unfunny and highly irritating Mexican Wave. At least the majority of the England fans have a modicum of rugby knowledge even though that swing low is almost as irritating as the 'MW'. They seem to get tickets for these games rather easier than us guys who loyally turn up at Firhill every second Friday/Sunday and travel for away games but I think the SRU are beginning to address this. Anyway good luck to Scotland despite Robinson's selection brain fart Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

I dont think you should say after the 6ns should he go.

I think you should atleast wait till after the 6ns, and see where Scotland finsh in the tournament.

What if he takes Scotland to a Grand Slam? Erm

Of course he could all ways take Scotland to another Wooden Spoon, then their may well be call's for him to go.

But then again. Headscratch

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I dont think you should say after the 6ns should he go.

I think you should atleast wait till after the 6ns, and see where Scotland finsh in the tournament.

Headscratch

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrr, a little help.

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:35 pm

Oooooooooopppppppssss
What i meant to put was, you should not be saying he should go, BEFORE the 6ns starts. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

TJ wrote:Yes

I didn't want hi in th first place - he failed with England and showed that decent club coach he may be, international coach he is not.

I wanted him sacked after the world cup - two close defeats, his selections and substitutions made the differnce

his record with Scotland is poor to say the least, he has shown he is a poor selector. Selecting Parks instead of Laidlaw - a limited out of form player for a more rounded in form player shows this.

Some rubbish on this thread.............. anyone with a modicum of rugby sense and just a bit of memory would have known not so long ago where we were and what AR has done at the grass roots level upwards, and with the exception of Desperate (who I don't want to start as well) thats a pretty bold attacking team.

We were one good game from the qtrs in the WC.............. us and Glasgow whilst could be better are not doing too bad, and this Scotland 22 is looking good

Get a grip guys
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Chjw131 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:44 pm

AR can't do selection, any England fan could have told you that...

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 01 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

Some rubbish on this thread.............. anyone with a modicum of rugby sense and just a bit of memory would have known not so long ago where we were and what AR has done at the grass roots level upwards, and with the exception of Desperate (who I don't want to start as well) thats a pretty bold attacking team.

We were one good game from the qtrs in the WC.............. us and Glasgow whilst could be better are not doing too bad, and this Scotland 22 is looking good

Get a grip guys
FHF, the reality is that the results speak for themselves:
* in the 6Ns, we have regressed under Robbo
* we failed to qualify for the world cup quarter finals on his watch (one good game AWAY doesn't count) for the first time ever

The solitary glimmer of hope is that we now appear to be able to grind out the odd home victory over big southern hemisphere oppo (Aus in 09 and SA in 10) and had a promising, but short-lived tour of Argentina.

Trying to be balanced about his XXII selection:
+ Denton/Jones give a bit of energy
+ Best pack selection for a while with no players playing out of position (Hines at 6, Brown at 8)
+ Morrison isn't starting
+ Laidlaw, while on the bench, at least looks to be considered a 10 and will get game time (apparently)

- Parks... (one dimensional, off-form, best days well and truly behind him)
- Morrison on the bench rather than in the stand
- shoe-horning a non-12 into the key Inside Centre position
- No cover for our most injury prone player, without disrupting the rest of the backline

mad

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

+ 1 Braveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 01 Feb 2012, 7:38 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:

Get a grip guys
FHF, the reality is that the results speak for themselves:
* in the 6Ns, we have regressed under Robbo
* we failed to qualify for the world cup quarter finals on his watch (one good game AWAY doesn't count) for the first time ever

The solitary glimmer of hope is that we now appear to be able to grind out the odd home victory over big southern hemisphere oppo (Aus in 09 and SA in 10) and had a promising, but short-lived tour of Argentina.

Trying to be balanced about his XXII selection:
+ Denton/Jones give a bit of energy
+ Best pack selection for a while with no players playing out of position (Hines at 6, Brown at 8)
+ Morrison isn't starting
+ Laidlaw, while on the bench, at least looks to be considered a 10 and will get game time (apparently)

- Parks... (one dimensional, off-form, best days well and truly behind him)
- Morrison on the bench rather than in the stand
- shoe-horning a non-12 into the key Inside Centre position
- No cover for our most injury prone player, without disrupting the rest of the backline

mad

So basically you are saying forget all he has achieved in setting some good roots and looking at the long term goal......... because it seems he is only one player away from a very good selection, then what? would he be a great coach if he selected Greig?. Shclong has all the attributes to be a Jamie Roberts style I/C fast big great balance, he certainly has come into that role during recent matches, and NDL is a very good O/C, so I can see them changing quite a bit during the game WELL DONE AR thats a bold move...

If possible I get to every home and alot of away games and nobody is more gutted that Greig Laidlaw is not starting, but lets just give him the benefit of the doubt, there are some new combos there NDL and Shlong, Rory back at FB, Jones on the wing, and a newish back row............ so maybe an experienced head is what we need to start the game. I am sure Greig will be on from the 50th min
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:10 pm

flyhalffactory

No - we are saying look at the results with teh team in the last 15 months. Judge him on that and its poor. nearly is not good enough - with the right players on the pitch we could have won those two WC games. his elections and substitutions cost us a QF - no doubt at all. Winning one or occasionally 2 games in the 6N is not good enough.

teh selection of Parks is the finals straw - he has been outplayed by both Weir adn Laidlaw this season. He is a limited player at his best and he is out of form. it a cowardly decision - he needed to be brave and play Laidlaw and Hogg - and really go for the win.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 01 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm

Le record de Monsiour Robinson.
Won:
Australia
South Africa
Argentina x 2
Ireland x 2
Italy x 2
Fiji
Samoa
Romania
Georgia

Drawn:
England

Lost:
France x 2
Ireland
Wales x 2
England x 2 (both narrow)
Italy
NZ (heavy)
Argentina x 2 (both narrow)

[/td][tr]
PWDLW%
Jim Telfer1994–1999532123040
Ian McGeechan2000–2003431812442
Matt Williams2003–200517301418
Frank Hadden2005–2009411602539
Andy Robinson2009 –241211150

The record is not, in my opinion, sufficient reason to sack Robinson. We need to resist the temptation to eat our own young, and for once be level-headed about this!

Oh, and with the greatest of respect to my fellow tortured souls (Scotland supporters...), anyone who suggests that Matt Williams' record was better than Robinson's is completely and utterly out to lunch.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 01 Feb 2012, 11:13 pm

Why are we having this conversation at the start of the tournament Robinson's a good coach, I say give him to the end of 2012 and see how he works with Johnson and the likes of Visser, Hogg, Scott etc. Set a target i.e 3 wins in the six nations and 2 wins against tri-nations opposition as well as unbeaten vs tier two teams.
If he finishes nowhere near he has to go, if he comes very close then keep him and if he succeeds we raise the bar for the season after. This time next year Scotland will be a very good side if Robinson wants to use Parks to usher in the next generation and he succeeds I'll be delighted if he sees Parks as a long term option and Jackson as an international fly-half then I'm afraid he has to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 02 Feb 2012, 1:10 am

TJ wrote: flyhalffactory

No - we are saying look at the results with teh team in the last 15 months. Judge him on that and its poor. nearly is not good enough - with the right players on the pitch we could have won those two WC games. his elections and substitutions cost us a QF - no doubt at all. Winning one or occasionally 2 games in the 6N is not good enough.

teh selection of Parks is the finals straw - he has been outplayed by both Weir adn Laidlaw this season. He is a limited player at his best and he is out of form. it a cowardly decision - he needed to be brave and play Laidlaw and Hogg - and really go for the win.

If you actually thought of what you are saying you would realise that AR's record is better than most................. Beating Australia South Africa, Argentina twice (first NH team to beat them in their own backyard), and Ireland twice and thats just off the cuff memory, we played brilliantly against Wales in Cardiff and but for serious injuries to Evans and Mossy we were on our way for an easy win

AR with what 40% maybe even more to 50% ............I could go back and get the stats is damn well good compared to any previous coach
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:12 am

I agree with the above sentiment that Robinson is a very good coach and has undoubtedly done a very good job with taking Scotland forward after the Hadden era. The one thing that has let him down unfortunately is his selection of late, and I feel it would be a shame if he was to get kicked out after this 6N, especially with wildcard Scott Johnson coming in. I'm hoping that his selection will improve if he's still in the job when Scott Johnson comes in, I feel a large amount of the blame can be threaded back to the aftermath of a terribly run, debt-ridden SRU under McKie, meaning we have less talent to build from, but now we're improving I feel that all Robinson needs to do now is get the choices right in team and substitutions. Put it this way, we at least have Blair/Laidlaw on the bench, I was initially furious about Parks but in a way it makes sense, I think he would have rathered use Jackson, but at fly half for a big game like the Calcutta cup you need a lot of experience, although I hope he's only there to get the scoreboard ticking before laidlaw and blair come on. I hope this is robinson's game plan...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 02 Feb 2012, 3:14 am

* I mean rather used Laidlaw
although I think if Jackson wasn't injured he'd be chosen over Parks

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 02 Feb 2012, 6:50 am

flyhalffactory

I simply disagree. I think you need to look at competitive matches

I do not believe failing to get out of the group in the WC and the record in the 6N is not good enough given the group of players we have. I am not prepared to accept that as a satisfactory record. I believe we are better than that.

they underperformed at the WC and Robinson had everything he wanted in the way of preparation. He must carry the blame for that

his selection and substitution cost us the two tight WC matches and his selection of the out of form and limited parks shows his limitations.

He reminds me very much of Haddon - looked good to start with but his limitations were soon exposed

He failed with England and he has failed with Scotland - look at the slide down the world rankings under him. I do not think battling with Italy to avoid the wooden spoon is good enough nor do I accept nealry as good enough

It makes no sense to play parks at all - he was outplayed by Weir and by Laidlaw.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 02 Feb 2012, 7:03 am

Ok, AR's recent results havent been great but that does not mean that he is a bad coach. As FHF has said, he has done a great job in developing players from the grass roots upwards and is giving Scotland some strength in depth.

Before AR, Scotland were poor and had nothing in in player depth. Scotland now have more strength in depth and are starting to form a very decent team. AR always said the his goal was long term and not short term, as an Irishman, i am seeing that happen.

Given his resourses, he has done a very good job and i believe that Scotland will turn some heads under him in either this 6N or the next. Stick with him and reap the rewards i say.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:09 am

eirebilly wrote:Ok, AR's recent results havent been great but that does not mean that he is a bad coach. As FHF has said, he has done a great job in developing players from the grass roots upwards and is giving Scotland some strength in depth.

Before AR, Scotland were poor and had nothing in in player depth. Scotland now have more strength in depth and are starting to form a very decent team. AR always said the his goal was long term and not short term, as an Irishman, i am seeing that happen.

Given his resourses, he has done a very good job and i believe that Scotland will turn some heads under him in either this 6N or the next. Stick with him and reap the rewards i say.
AR involved n grassroots rugby in Scotland? Really?

Scotland had no strength in depth and now have more, but we still are ranked lower than ever (10th) and for the first time ever didn't make it out of our RWC pool to the QFs.

On top of all that, we are now scoring less tries than we ever have, less than many tier 3 nations managed at the RWC furious

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Thu 02 Feb 2012, 8:40 am

Aslong, you dont think that AR has had a say in the rugby played at grass roots in Scotland? I would have thought that he did to be honest, that being part of the strategy that he put forward. If not then i am wrong.

Yes, you are lower ranked than usual but your system is in a much healthier state than what it was before AR came into power. That healthy state will provide the results you have all been expecting soon.

Scotland are scoring less tries but its not as if they arent making breaks, its the support play that has been woefull. Get a decent attacking coach in and Scotland will score tries.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next