The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

+15
Davie
drive4show
EmmDee57
Lairdy
super_realist
pedro
NedB-H
Skydriver
venice1
Shotrock
John Cregan
Maverick
princedracula
McLaren
kwinigolfer
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 27 Sep 2011, 3:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Thrilling end to the golf this past Sunday. And the Tour Championship was exciting too.
Seriously, loved the Solheim Cup; compelling viewing and just a hint that some Americans were a touch overawed, intimidated by the occasion. Lots written about some of the better known European heroines but Sophie Gustafson won all her four matches, and I'd never heard of Christel Boeljon before she started to turn up on qualifying lists. What a terrific win for her after losing both her Saturday matches to come out and whack Brittany Lincicome, the longest of the US Team. Alison Nicholas might be the only Solheim Cup Captain to have been born in Gibraltar!

2).As for Bill Haas's win, the tournament couldn't have been much more nail-biting (for his father at least) but not sure it was a validation of the FedEx Cup Play-Off structure - the possibility for the lottery winner coming from 25th position and not having won all year hadn't even occurred to Billy; he had to be told by Flinchem at the presentation that the reason no-one else was there was because he'd won the FedEx jackpot as well. Had to look to his wife for her confirmation! Sad to say, Number One matched the stereotypical view of him and, even after all his successes this year, one feels he needs to back up his consistency with more wins.

3).On the subject of Lukey, he's $70K+ ahead of Webb Simpson now on the money list. Luke will play Dunhill this week, Madrid next and then take paternity leave for six or seven weeks. Webbo is thought likely to enter McGladrey's and/or Disney to try and overtake Donald for the money title.

4).Can't leave Lukey without commenting on his extraordinary "3-putt avoidance" stat:
Currently at 434 holes played without a 3-putt and now a full tournament ahead of the previous longest streak since this stat began to be tracked in 2003. According to my arithmetic, never a strong point, he hasn't recorded a 3-putt, therefore, since the Bridgestone in early August!
(Perhaps an even bigger surprise is that the golfer with the second longest current streak is Sergio. Don't tell NBC TV.)

5).Presidents Cup Captain's Choices are made this evening by Couples and Norman. Would think Bill Haas cooked Keegan Bradley's goose and expect Fred to select Mr.Bill.
Baddeley has surely played his way on to the International Team and, in the absence of a compelling case from Senden or Vijay, I'd be shocked if Allenby doesn't fill the 12th position.
Meanwhile, chances of Woods and DJ playing together? Perhaps against Adam Scott??

6).Apropos the Presidents Cup and the possibility that Stricker's injury might prevent him taking part, the always witty Geoff Ogilvy had this comment about the Stricker/Woods partnership:
"One guy hits every fairway and makes every putt. And the other guy is Tiger Woods."
Ogilvy also had this to say about Louis Oosthuizen, who looks likely to miss out on Melbourne (among other things), quoted on pgatour.com:
"All things being equal, I think Louis is the best golfer in the world, but he just doesn't shoot the scores. The way he swings and the way he chips, I just love watching his game. You guys probably think that's a ridiculous statement, but he just makes golf look too easy to me . . . . . I don't understand how he doesn't win all the time, or at least contend all the time."
Strange that. Exactly what I think about Ogilvy's game! Maybe next year for Geoff, finally fully fit again.

7).And so to Las Vegas, site of Play-Offs the past two years for Martin Laird. Won one. Lost one. The "Justin Timberlake Shriners Hospitals for Children Open" is the first event of the ever-shrinking Fall Series, but is also the entrance to the finishing straight of the race to retain full PGA Tour "playing privileges" for 2012. $787K was enough for Troy Merritt to retain his card last year; this season will be about the same, say $800K, as marginally higher prizemoney is offset by one less tournament. So who's at risk? These are notables with their earnings so far:
DiMarco: $740K
O'Hern: $629K
Pampling: $606K
Matt Jones: $591K
Trahan: $567K
Mayfair: $538K
Casey: $460K
Leonard: $434K
Curtis: $403K
Petrovic: $394K
Riley: $377K
Vaughn Taylor: $375K
Duval: $362K

One or two of the above, notably Justin Leonard, have Career-earnings exemptions to utilise, but no-one wants to use them unless they absolutely have to.

8).Quick quiz: If I told you a player had enjoyed a tournament run starting in Greensboro five weeks ago: 12th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 9th, you'd've assumed he won a Play-Off packet.
But these are the results of John Mallinger, a Tour veteran of five years who has been playing the 2011 PGA Tour on "conditional status", and took his good Greensboro finish to the Nationwide Tour. And these results have secured his PGA Tour membership for 2012. Don't overlook his fine form as he plays in Las Vegas.
Apart from Laird, and Brian Davis (now withdrawn, not sure why), Europeans Pettersson, Johnson and the recently injured Cejka will play in the desert heat - mid-90'sF every day, so the ball will fly!
FedEx refugees playing in Vegas include Byrd, Reavie and Watney. I like the chances of Chad Campbell, Hoffman and Lunde, while the otherwise anonymous George McNeill is a regular contender here..

9).We had fun celebrating Tom Kite's 1,000th PGA Tour PLUS Champions Tour event this week at the Seniors SAS event in North Carolina. Did you also know Tom Kite is also just two career cuts off the all-time PGA Tour record? 590 cuts in 713 PGA Tour starts.
Who has the record of 592 career PGA Tour cuts??

10).The Nationwide season is winding down and Europeans Gary Christian (5th), Jonas Blixt (6th) and Russell Knox (9th) are nailed on to qualify for next year's PGA Tour. Chopra is 24th and Greg Owen 47th both needing some top finishes, starting this week in West Texas.

Finally, who's the biggest diva in sport? Serena Williams? Michelle Wie?? or Tiger Woods???

Last edited by Maverick on Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Update)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:18 pm

Steve Stricker's MRI confirms he has a herniated disk in his neck. Course of treatment unclear, as are his chances of playing Presidents Cup golf at Royal Melbourne. Keegan Bradley needs to be ready for Freddie's call.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Maverick Wed 28 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

Saw the announcment about Stricker little while ago in all honesty I feel he'd be better of for his own sake in the long run pulling out as that's a painful injury but would be a great loss to the US team in an event I'm looking forward to.

Re: Laird, for me it stems from overhype I love the storey of following an underdog and the guys on the nationwide in fact that's the bit I most look for on these great insightful threads of US golf kwini, also why I keep an indepth eye on the CT over here. Its just with Laird I find him far too americanised that may well be though he's been there so long he feels more accustomed to the way of life which I don't blame him for, but I do feel he would offer little for an RC team and feel there's far more worthy players than laird on both side of the pond.

Talking of underdogs on smaller tours currently sitting here watching the EuroPro, our own Zane Scotland put in another fine shift. Yet another Saltman brother playing too this time its the younger one Zak, plus an oddity for the EuroPro an american oddly name Dodge Keemer, currently leading and highlights finish shortly so he should have it tucked up. Commentators talking of him already being booked into ET Q-school which is refreshing to see someone from US doing it this way around instead of straight to PGA tour

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:16 am

Mav,
I really think Stricker will do as you suggest if there's any sort of recommended recovery period at all.
He famously prefers to spend his "fall" hunting, often with a bow, in Wisconsin, as far away from golf as he can get, emerging from hibernation only to pair up with his mate Jerry Kelly for the Shark Shoot Out.

Agree about Martin Laird; he's got to figure out to what extent he's going to play E.T. events or he can have no complaints not being considered for Ryder Cup honours. Unlucky this week with Dunhill clashing with Las Vegas. Strange the way he seems determined to spend his career as far under the radar as he possibly can. On the other hand, the new Mrs Laird is gorgeous so one can certainly see why he's made his home here.

Dodge Keemer sounds more like a new car - have to watch out for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:10 am

Strickers possible withdrawl could save Couple some face. Imagine not having the current PGA Champ champ there? Or will it? Woods would have been paired up with Stricker, a very obvious and safe partner to perhaps protect Woods (and Couples).

Cant remember where I heard or read it but Laird is looking at the middle east swing on the ET as part of his early schedule next year. Pretty obvious move. As was marrying that wife of his. Seen her a few times out on the links when following Martin. Btw I totally get the people who find Laird all too bland but he deserves his space on here as much as anyone.

A very similar player to Laird is Casey. A little Americanised, long high ball and bit dodgy around the greens but in contrast what a uneventful 2 years he has had. A shame a lot of it is down to injury because he is very talented and holds a lot of self belief. Would like to hear more about what he thinks of his recent form. Think he needs to pick a tour and stick to it while things settle down. Not the easiest decision to make with the RC next year.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:04 am

Would think with Strickers possible withdrawal Freddie will look to pair Tiger with someone like Kuchar who is solid and steady which allows Eldrick to be a bit wayward.

I can see the Casey/Laird comparisons, and would say Casey's one saving grace is he does come over to europe for a few of the bigger events and has done well in Walker and Ryder cups. Not seen Lairds wife but from reaction on here I assume she's a hottie, but must have issues with her eyes either that or he has one huge..............

Back to the underdog storey, Dodge Kemmer did indeed the EuroPro event to become the first american to win on the tour, it turns out he originally came over to europe to play in the KLM on a sponsors invite, and he stated he is due to play on the ET again next week. One time top 20 ranking amatuer who in his own words said he had won the medallist title a Q School, but can find no evidence of that maybe someone can englighten me on that one. Also looks like he has played an event on the nationwide.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by EmmDee57 Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

Is Casey's poor form just down to injury or is there more to it? Was there rumours of some personal issues?

EmmDee57

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

Yup Lairdy, My only criticism of Laird was that he should play in Europe more often, for a number of reasons - The Dunhill would have been a natural but so is Las Vegas unfortunately.

As for Casey, I think EmmDee is correct, there's more to his absence/poor play than "turf toe"; there have certainly been "personal issues" rumoured, but that doesn't fully explain his schedule. Unless of course he has an Asian girlfriend. The next month or so will tell that story as the US Press is certain to speculate about his status (when they figure out that he's gone awol, that is).
And Casey at least had a fine Walker Cup record, plus won early in Europe, not as if he's a total stranger which Martin Laird is - not unlike Carl Pettersson's situation.
Still, any Ryder Cup Team would be the stronger for including an in-form Martin Laird . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

I remember reading rumours about some rumours but thats all I know. I suppose a silver lining is that it appears not to be just a drop in form with no explanation other than playing poorly. Really want to see him back to his best, good game tee to green, quite like his swing and his attitude, which are both pretty quirky.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 12:29 pm

Thing with Casey is he actually started the year well in the Dubai swing then sudden down turn in form, not buying the fact it's all down to turf toe either. Sounds like he's got something underlying there.

As for Laird being valuable to the RC team, jurys out for me on that one

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:08 pm

Mav,
I did say "in form" - if he earns his way on, good for him, but he shouldn't expect a "pick" unless he does more on the E.T.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Is there golf this weekend?

Sorry, still a bit fuzzy from lack of sleep ... stayed up too late watching the "Sawx" complete the best collapse ever in Major league baseball. Just legendary stuff.

I hope Bradley gets the call if Stricker unable to go.

Can't wait to see Royal Melbourne on TV.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:37 pm

Don't wish to derail Kwini's article (though it often morphs into discussions of other US sports anyway) - but what exactly is the story of whatever happened in MLB last night?

I've seen it mentioned a few times but not sure what actually happened

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:44 pm

Sr,
1).Yes!
2).Went to bed with the Yanks up by six.
3).Bradley WILL get the call-up if Strick is sick.
4).Me too - sounds like the daily tee-times will be scheduled for maximum live coverage - might have to stay up late mind.

Davie, There are two MLB Leagues, American and National, split into three geographical (sort of) Divisions of four or five teams each.

Each Division winner qualifies for a best of seven play-off series, but so does one "wild card" Team. And the wild card for both American and National Leagues was in doubt up until the last game (of the 162-game season). Two weeks ago it looked as if Boston and Atlanta were dead certs, but their incompetence, plus fast finishes by Tampa and St.Louis meant that Tampa came up on the rails to nip Boston, while St.Louis did the same to nose out Atlanta.
Anything else is too much information, but Play Offs start on Friday, most important Detroit visiting the New York Yankees.
In about three weeks, the survivor in the American League will meet the Champ in the National League for the World Series (of seven games).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

I've read comments alluding to some sort of major collapse though? Was it perhaps not a collapse in one game but an end-of-season collapse?

I wish we could get more MLB on TV over here - whenever I've been stateside I've found it strangely addictive night time viewing

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

Well, both Boston and Atlanta squandered leads last night (and the Yanks blew a massive lead in their game vs Tampa Bay), though the real collapse took place over a number of weeks - real Devon Loch stuff without having Dick Francis in the managers dug-out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

Davie wrote:
I wish we could get more MLB on TV over here - whenever I've been stateside I've found it strangely addictive night time viewing

We can Davie, you need to add ESPN to your sky package. I am of course assuming you have sky. It's an additional £10 a month for it but you also get ESPN America or whatever they call it and thats got plenty of MLB on it.

I love MLB and NFL. Been to many a game when stateside, how did the Yankees get on anyway they were doing fine when I last checked but not seen the results.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

Yankees absolutely coasting the last few games, blew a big lead but really a non-event. Sawx fans wondering why they did send Mariano out to close.

Why? Because they didn't want to!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 2:35 pm

Threw away a 7-0 lead and lost 8-7 in the 12th.

Davie, Mav, I'd imagine following baseball part-time would be as impossible as following, say, cricket and/or Rugby.
When I was in England, I used to commute with my head buried in the Sporting Life - took me about three weeks in the States to realise I couldn't follow racing from 3,000 miles away.
But the NFL as a much more predictable schedule so much easier to follow from afar.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

No Major League Baseball in Las Vegas, but the Golf has started under clear skies, mild temps (70's anyway) and highs today approaching 100F. Not much wind.

"Marquee Group" of Watney, Byrd and Laird under starter's orders, on their first tee #10), contents of bags being checked by survey-doers, and they're off!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossa Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

Great Blog Kwini, as ever.

I'm not a JT fan, but these songs are comedy genius and have completely changed my view... I would defintiely have a pint with him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mql58vO3o2Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DeIqJm4vM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7gwX7rjOw

btw: All Lonley Island Songs are hilarious, i would suggest anybody plonks themselves in front of you tube and trawls through them, great way to spend an hour...

Rossa
Rossa

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

Cheers Rossa,
I'll have to give them a whirl. No doubt at all that he's doing a lot to promote golf, and environmentally sensitive course management as well.
thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

Reports are coming in of the death, at age 74, of Dave Hill, three-time Ryder Cupper and elder brother of Mike Hill.

Dave Hill won 13 times on the PGA Tour and six times on the Senior Tour, but gained just as much notoriety for being outspoken, especially for criticising Hazeltine's 1970 US Open lay-out as lacking "only 80 acres of corn and a few cows to be a good farm." Architect Robert Trent Jones "had the blueprints upside down". (not for the first time. Ed.!)

The Hill brothers grew up in Michigan and stayed true to their roots and both were terrific players; Dave won the Vardon Trophy, while Mike earned most of his money as a force on the Senior Tour.

Among other things, Dave Hill was a shotmaker, first player I ever saw using a fairway wood to chip a ball out of a low-lipped bunker!

Not sure that either was ever especially popular in GB&I . . . . ..

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

Lots of people sick of hearing about Martin Laird and, unless he rediscovers his putting stroke, you won't have to. Only missed two greens and one over par after twelve holes. At least one 3-putt, probably two. Not good.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:03 pm

Was very wild last night eh?

To think the Red Sox and in Braves were in the postseason for pretty much most of the season, only to be bumped out on the final day!!!!

And to think it would have meant nothing if there were 10 teams in the playoffs.....

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:17 pm

Trouble is though Dave, they play 162 games for a reason. I think a second wildcard will come but sincerely doubt it's for the best.
But baseball is not much loved in GB&I so glad to hear you're a fan. Me? I love it!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:20 pm

Indeed they do, but that's what I like about it. It's been three weeks of compelling viewing, and its good the regular season actually counts in baseball.

Yeah, I'm a Dodgers fan, after the season we've had, I'll take the winning record, the Cy Young and the MVP!!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Not to mention one of the finest first-basemen who ever lived as your manager. Much beloved still at The Stadium!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:33 pm

Dave - My sentiments exactly. I think it was the departed Bart Giamatti who said "you don't like baseball for the generalities, you love it for the particulars". There was soooo much going on last night if one viewed the games in perspective: 162 games, each count as much as the other. Boston was 77-0 this year after leading in the 8th inning. It's hard to lose series after series for any team, much less for an "elite" team in a playoff run. None of this would have played out if they had an expanded wild card.

Loss for the ages for Sawx Nation.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:44 pm

I think Shotrock enjoys rubbing it in!

Looking forward to seeing who will be in the Fry's field for Tiger's return. Rumours that Cabrera, Els, Oosthuizen, Justin Leonard, Ricky Barnes and Spencer Levin will all be on parade.

And the Fry's site says Paul Casey will play!!!! As a big fan of Paul Casey's golf, I'd love to see him finish his PGA Tour season with a flourish and be done with all the speculation and innuendo that he's currently subjected (himself?) to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 29 Sep 2011, 7:51 pm

I'm a Yankee fan in Phillies country. Second only to Phillies fan are Bosox fans in this area -- and they both share the same passion/hatred for the Yankees. My head will fall off if I hear "the Yankees just buy their teams" one more time. Last I checked, EVERY professional team buys their team. Some just do a better job managing that talent than others. I give the Bosox an F- for the month of September. And if anyone thinks a high payroll guarantees success, they need only to look East away from Yankee Stadium to the Mets.

So, yes, a certain amount of joy today.

Reality tomorrow -- Detroit could do damage!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:29 pm

Sr,
Yanks can owe their season to the successes of Garcia and Colon, Swisher and Martin, Chavez and Jones, seemingly bit part players that no-one else wanted or were thought to be washed up. Add Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Novo, Gardner and Robertson to that lot and all you have left are a couple of starters, Teixera, Granderson and the always underperforming (Diva of the Year candidate?) AFraud.

Nice opening rounds by Danny Lee (T1) and Matthew Richardson (T7) in the Nationwider's morning wave. Nothing worse than +2 in the clubhouse in Las Vegas.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:34 pm

I always like when baseball is on in bars in the US, for some reason it is a good sport to have a pint over even if you are not a hard core fan, or in my case not even that knowledgeable.

I was once buying some gifts in a cap shop in Boston and was getting a yankie cap for a mate. The woman at the till gave me a real hard time about buying a yankies cap in boston. She even insisted I have a bag which was not see through. I did't realize the rivalry was so strong.

So I also bought a red sox cap and got many a positive response just going around town wearing it. The certainly had a passion.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 8:58 pm

Great rivalries Mac, almost unhealthily so at the actual games. My wife will certainly never go to another Red Sox game again.
Unfortunately, baseball goes from six months (almost) of great local coverage to overhyped, synthesised, commercial-laden "National" coverage at unsocial hours as the Play-Offs commence. A bit like going from your fave footie announcer of years gone by to David Colemanballs just because it's a big event.

Nathan Green leading in Las Vegas and few in the field need a good result more than him. Seriously doubt he'll get it though; seems to have lost his fortitude with what little success he's enjoyed.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 29 Sep 2011, 9:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:And the Fry's site says Paul Casey will play!!!! As a big fan of Paul Casey's golf, I'd love to see him finish his PGA Tour season with a flourish and be done with all the speculation and innuendo that he's currently subjected (himself?) to.
At least he seems almost certain to have a couple of extra days to recover from that long trip in Korea... Scored an 'impressive' 77 today there...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:15 pm

Woof! Sure the appearance fee served as consolation though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 29 Sep 2011, 10:17 pm

All teams are bought Kwini how true is that and is the way team sports will always function. Huge Yankees fan myself, always watch the MLB when it's on ESPN leads to early nights from mrs Mav regularly. Whenever i'm over in the states in the NY region (and not even in the immediate area but commutable distance) I try to get down to the Yankees stadium to watch best i've managed is 4 games in 1 trip; also included a couple of visits to the Jets too.

Seems to be a large number of those unmentionable putters ondisplay today and many proving the theory they do not guarantee you to be a better putter.... Despite Chamblees' and Rob Lee trying to state they are pure evil on the commentary

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:43 am

Wow, Jhonny Vegas leading in Las Vegas. Four top 20 finishes by the end of February and none since.
Until now? Perhaps!

Cejka and Pettersson going well, but Johnson and Laird have socks to pull up if they're going to get paid - both need at least a -2 69, possibly a 68.

Lousy day for Europeans in Round 1 of this week's Nationwider, Matt Richardson the only one threatening the lead, no-one else in the top 40.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

Half an hour to go time in Las Vegas, another heater in store, temps mid to high 90's with very little wind. No rain.

The cut looks like going to -3 at least, perhaps close to -4, so Laird and Johnson will need something in the 60's to cash a cheque. 47 players already at -4 or better and expect the boys to go low again today; given there's a very driveable par 4, perhaps very low.

Champos teeing off within the hour in North Carolina, no GB&I interest unless Chapman gets a late call as an alternate.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:52 pm

Kevin Bloody Na leading in Las Vegas; dead last on Tour in their ball-striking (total driving + greens in reg) stat but not this week.
Hunter Haas went 71 - 61. I went 91 - 81 once.

But Sweden's Richard S.Johnson is a goner - three more tries to earn about $600K. Ain't gonna happen. And Cejka's trying hard to join him in trouble.

Fine round of 66 by Gary Christian on the Nationwide, and Russell Knox also well set for the wekend. Greg Owen's late flourish of birdies was too little, too late. Fingers crossed for Richardson this afternoon. And Chopra's made a cut. Shangri-La for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:08 pm

Front nine taken care of by Martin Laird; his back nine should lend itself to lower scores and he should be OK, even with the cut creeping inexorably to -4. No good for Cejka though, 3-putted his final hole to miss out.

Immelman going like a train.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:45 pm

Lots of attractions next week in the San Jose area for the Fry's.com:
Cabrera,
Casey,
Davis,
Duval,
Els,
Immelman
Leonard
Oosthuizen
Sabbatini
Woods

There'll be an even better field in prospect for the following week's McGladrey's.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:52 pm

shhh kwini, you have to whisper the lairds exploits around here these days. Personally i think it is great to see him keep an event like this on his calendar?

What did you think of Lukes defense of his number one status, as in his thoughts on why he deserves to be number one. I also thought it was interesting that he does not feel like he needs his game to peak for majors, because his game is so good all the time.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:10 pm

Lukey?
I think he's perfectly reasonable in what he says but, having talked the talk, he's got to walk and so far that walking's not been good enough. Am also very puzzled at his revised schedule this autumn, seemingly adding events to cash in. That's not what got him where he is and will hurt him in the long run.

Based upon the last two winners there, Scott Simpson and Lee Janzen, I'd expect Olympic next year to fit Luke nicely, not sure about Lytham but would definitely not expect him to contend at Kiawah Island.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:41 am

Martin Laird hit all 14 fairways today in Las Vegas, 324.5 yards a pop. First in accuracy, 10th in distance.

Not too dissimilar to what Dustin Johnson did in Boston, the first pro since records began to lead the tournament in driving distance and driving accuracy.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:44 pm

Got up early to watch football, not Martin Atkinson.

Of the players we talked about in Note 7). above, DiMarco, Riley, Trahan and Matt Jones were in a hole but kept shovelling; just that little bit deeper now they missed the Vegas cut. The others in the field will have done themselves a bit of good though, but a further cut will be guillotined after Round 3 with those given the chop only taking about $8K to the bank, so watch out Mayfair, O'Hern etc.

Lots to play for in the desert heat.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 01 Oct 2011, 8:04 pm

Amazing, Nick O'Hern had a streak of six birdies in a row in Round 2.
Not quite so good today with six in seven, so far.

Nice starts to Round 3 by Laird (up to 14th) and Pettersson (tied for 3rd with the "scoring nine" still to play).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 01 Oct 2011, 8:55 pm

Birdies galore this week on both sides of the pond...
Must be one of the lowest scoring weeks in the calendar.

Spare a thought in that context for Casey and all those 27 Kim's in Korea who seem to have it exactly the opposite (lead there is at +1)...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:21 pm

Don't see anyone from this side of the creek disturbing the top 50 status quo, pd, but reckon a 2nd place might return Watney to the top ten.
16th hole bogey for Laird; imperative he plays his final two holes in at least one under and fires at everything tomorrow. Feels like par for the day is four under par! 67.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:45 pm

Two under for his final two holes is just the job for The Laird - a Sunday 59 should be enough to win. Good finish in prospect anyway.

And Watney in a T2 with two par fives and a driveable par four in his sights.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:03 pm

kwini, Lefty will be sliding back to #10 this week and unfortunately for Watney he missed a good chance last week to close that gap to #10 and now even a win in Vegas won't be enough to pass Mickelson. Have to say though that this week I didn't have time to check yet properly the owgr value for Las Vegas, but I can't really see it going above the minimum of 24 points. In case it will go to 26 points, then Watney could pass Phil with a win...

On the other hand, continuing with the theoretical projections, a win for Charl on the links would be enough to lift him back up to the top 10 and to push Lefty out. Looks unlikely though as he's 6 shots behind at the moment...
And BTW, a win for GMac won't be enough to push him back into the top 10...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next