The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match

+18
Comfort
doctornickolas
Knowsit17
glamorganalun
Rollmeister
scoi
Luckless Pedestrian
wales606
samuraidragon
Cari
ScarletSpiderman
eirebilly
Cymroglan
LordDowlais
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
Glas a du
Londonwelsh
22 posters

Go down

Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match Empty Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match

Post by Londonwelsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 6:51 am

Taken from Walesonline.co.uk

WARREN GATLAND has axed centre Jonathan Davies for Wales final World Cup pool match against Fiji, and handed the No.13 jersey to his Scarlets team mate Scott Williams.

The change at outside-centre is the biggest talking point of the Kiwi coach’s selection for the meeting with the Pacific islanders, though Rhys Priestland has been restored at outside-half at the expense of Stephen Jones, who was brought in for the 81-7 rout of Namibia on Monday.

Gatland announced a powerful team for Sunday’s Pool D finale in the middle of the night. His side shows seven changes from the line-up that pulverised minnows Namibia 81-7 last Monday.

Wales are locked on points with Samoa and have to match them this weekend to secure a top two finish in the group and a probable quarter-final with Ireland.

Samoa faced pool leaders and world champions South Africa today, with Wales having the luxury of knowing what they have to do just over 45 hours after.

Apart from injury absentees Shane Williams, Dan Lydiate and James Hook, the team named by Gatland for Sunday’s match at Waikato Stadium appears to be taking shape ready for the quarter-finals.

The 20-year-old centre Williams has been paired with the recalled Jamie Roberts while Scarlets wing George North, who was sensational as he scored two tries against Namibia to take his total to eight in 10 appearances, returns in place of Aled Brew. Mike Phillips is at scrum-half.

To accommodate North, the in-form Leigh Halfpenny switches from the right to the left-wing.

Up front, first-choice Huw Bennett has shrugged off a hip knock and a head wound to slot back in at hooker instead of the inexperienced Lloyd Burns.

Tight-head prop Adam Jones will pack down in place of Exeter Chiefs signing Craig Mitchell with Gethin Jenkins, scorer of a sensational solo try against Namibia, remaining at loose-head.

Gatland saw Samoa out-scrummage Fiji last weekend and will be looking for Wales to do the same.

Luke Charteris takes over from Alun Wyn Jones at lock with Bradley Davies remaining after impressing on Monday night.

Youngster Tavis Knoyle, who expressed disappointment about his performance at scrum-half against Namibia, isn’t involved with the exciting Lloyd Williams providing cover from the bench for Phillips.

Gatland decided not to risk thigh injury victim Shane Williams despite the little maestro coming through yesterday’s training session in Hamilton.

“Shane might have been available to us if we had pushed him, but he has taken a limited part in training this week and we are happy with the back three we have been able to put on the field for this game,” said Gatland.

“Alun Wyn and Jonathan are two of the players who have started in the three games so far and so we have freshened things up a little in the second-row and the centre.

“We will be very much asking the returning players to continue where they each left off the last time they took to the field.”

Gatland and his charges will know exactly what they have to do before kick-off in Hamilton on Sunday but he’s not expecting any change of mood as a result.

“Our focus is entirely on Fiji. We know if we can win one more game, and win it well, that will give us the best chance of reaching the quarter-finals of the Rugby World Cup with significant momentum,” he said.

WALES: Lee Byrne (Clermont Auvergne; George North (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Sam Warburton (capt, Blues).

Replacements: Lloyd Burns (Dragons), Paul James (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks), Lloyd Williams (Blues), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets).

Thoughts on the team ? Personally I'm happy Foxy has got the chop. Despite what most posters think the centre combination of JD and Roberts is NOT working and Williams deserves another chance to show what he can do. Otherwise the team was pretty much as I expected it to be.

Londonwelsh
Londonwelsh

Back to top Go down

Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match Empty Re: Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match

Post by Glas a du Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:00 am

I think he had a fair bit of leeway on this selection and he's made the most of it. Cracking bench, even Powell. If we do go through I just hope he picks the best team now, not the best team as it was in 2008 (I.e. Byrne, Roberts, Phillips and Jenkins at any cost)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match Empty Re: Scott Williams Replaces Jonathan Davies for Fiji Match

Post by mckay1402 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:15 am

The squad seems pretty strong now and we should hopefully have Lydiate back for the quarters too. Can't wait for this match. I have a feeling it could be a good day for Wales. Looking for a big statement now
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:40 am

Aye, if only to make amends for '07.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:18 am

I think axed is a bit strong but I have said a few times now that I would like to see Williams and Roberts have some gametime, didnt expect it to happen in this game.

Unless they have a stormer as a combo I still expect Davies to start (hopefully) against Ireland.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:25 am

Yeah, I thought it would be more or less this team if I am honest. I told Warren the ather day we need to play Rhys at ten and drop John and put Scott in the center. I am glad he has listened to me for once. To be fair the last time he listened to me was in 2008 when he first had the job, then when we won the grand slam he thought he was to good for my advice, but it looks like he is listening now Whistle

Last edited by LordDowlais on Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:25 am

I'm happy with the selection we need a win and we need to win well regardless of todays result between South Africa and Samoa.
It makes a nice change that I can now look at our squad and not think Oh no why has he done that.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:26 am

I think that its a pretty good selection to be honest, especially keeping Rhys Priestland at 10 over Jones. Priestland has looked very good in this Welsh team so no real need for Jones to walk in. Its good to see coaches give faith in players that have been on form.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:40 am

I am a bit suprised to see it was Foxy that was left out in order to get Scott on the feild. However Gatland did say that Jon and Alyn Wyn have started all the matches and deserve a rest (same as Warburton poor sod), so I would not be suprised to see a differnt centre partnership in the QF.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:51 am

SS,

Other than the worry of injury I not got problem with playetrs playing every game as they are proffessional these days and we have had a god rest between games, Warburton himself is only what 22-23.

When you say you are surprised it was JD2 left out to accomodate Williams who else would it be or who else did you expect it to be?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:54 am

I'm happy with that selection. Good backup on the bench if needed, and with any luck we won't use it so much, thus saving the key players' energy for the QFs. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:05 am

Cari,

If the game is won then I think we should use the bench, get Warburton off as soon as possible and give Wellies a bit more game time.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:19 am

Strong team. Means business. Namibia was too much of a romp - a sloppy romp at that - to draw conclusions on individuals or combinations. This will be much more challenging. Is Byrne getting back to his best? How will the JR/SW combo work? What sort of form is Ryan in? How is Gethin's scrummaging? Hope to get these questions answered, also to see good use of the bench players.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 30 Sep 2011, 9:44 am

dragon,

Its an interesting point about Gethins scrummaging, I would still have been tempted to start with James and give Jenkins time off the bench but I do think he is one of these players that just gives so much it lifts others around him.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 10:29 am

Good team, should be an interesting game
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:00 am

Glas a du wrote:If we do go through I just hope he picks the best team now, not the best team as it was in 2008 (I.e. Byrne, Roberts, Phillips and Jenkins at any cost)

Plus one, as they say.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:03 am

Lloyd Williams on the bench instead of Knoyle, interesting choice.

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:12 am

I like the look of the team Bradley Davies looked good last week and his power will be helpful to begin with. AWJ does need a bit of a rest as does JD2. Will be interesting to see how Scott Williams does in defence against Fiji as there were some poor tackles against Namibia. Good/best back 3 and Byrne could give the team more balance if he plays well again. Lloyd Williams is the biggest call in my book.

Almost full strength and the changes made havent made too much of a difference. A few more questions to be asked about what will be the best team to face the Irish especially at 1 and 15. Rest of the team picks itself, although i am starting to think Shane and Halfpenny should be a closer decision than it currently is.

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:17 am

By my calulations if Wales lose by less than 38 they go through. Pressures off so a good performance and resting Warbs and Felatau if the games won early would be nice to see.

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:32 am

I'm generally happy with that team. Think Lloyd Williams has played himself ahead of Knoyle, who looked ordinary against Namibia. Williams offers a faster delivery and a decent contrast to Phillips' style.

I think it's a little harsh on JD2 though, he's been playing to orders, and I think he's been playing very well.
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:39 am

Good team, we should win with something to spare providing we are up for the game. Pleased for Scott Williams he should provide a better balance in mid field provided he gets the ball. Important game for Preistland and Wales, must have a good game to be selected for the QF, hopefullu Hook will be back for the QF even as bench cover to replace S Jones as he covers numerous positions.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

Rollmeister, despite the Western Mail's attempt at sensationalisation in saying he's been 'axed,' it's clear that JD2 is being rested rather than dropped, as with Alun Wyn Jones. The added bonus is that it gives Scott Williams a run-out against tougher opposition.

I agree with you that Lloyd Williams's promotion is fully justified.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:46 am

Being axed suggests he is out of the squad completely, which he isnt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Fri 30 Sep 2011, 11:55 am

Rested is good. Shame AWJ is starting on the bench though, that's gonna cost me fantasy rugby points!
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

This is the value of competition for places. Scott Williams has been knocking on the door since his first cap and is well worth his spot. Lloyd Williams has edged himself ahead of Knoyle with the Namibia game. Hopefully this will persuade both Davies and Knoyle to get the bit between their teeth and pick up their consistency, they haven't been bad but they could be doing better.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Rollmeister Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:18 pm

I agree with that. It's nice that Gatland is finally picking players on current form, rather than legacy. It seems to be pushing the boys on no end.
Rollmeister
Rollmeister

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

Bedford - I agree players should play unless injured. But if Gats is resting up players where possible, then surely Sam Warburton has earnt a rest too. Also personally I wuld have thought that maybe Roberts could have been relocated to the wing, 1/2p to fullback and Foxy could partner Williams. I do not believe that Williams and Roberts will function too well in the centre, the same as Davies/Hook and Roberts don't functiont too well. I think when Roberts have shown well as part of a partnership in the centre it has been with a more established player (BOD, Shanks). But that said I do tend to be lopsided in my opinions of certain players.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:21 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Bedford - I agree players should play unless injured. But if Gats is resting up players where possible, then surely Sam Warburton has earnt a rest too. Also personally I wuld have thought that maybe Roberts could have been relocated to the wing, 1/2p to fullback and Foxy could partner Williams. I do not believe that Williams and Roberts will function too well in the centre, the same as Davies/Hook and Roberts don't functiont too well. I think when Roberts have shown well as part of a partnership in the centre it has been with a more established player (BOD, Shanks). But that said I do tend to be lopsided in my opinions of certain players.

No one can replace Warburton though, and I'd rather not start with Toby at 7

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

We need to come out of the blocks all guns blazing, rack up some points, a couple of tries and haul Warburton off. Faletau to 7, Powell on at 8. Job done.

Get the win, go home, feet up.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

IronMike - fair point, I guess Warburton will get the majority of the second half off again providing things are looking positive, as I believe we need to lose by 35+ to be in poop-street, which will give us a chance to see what someone else can do in the shirt if he does (prey to God not) pick up a knock in/before the knockouts.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

It always looked strange that Gatland didn't pick any cover for his openside, especially when he's captain. It could still cost us.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:34 pm

Luckless - I guess Lydiate was the planned replacement openside, as he does have the skill set, but with his injury (and also with Martyn Williams, and Josh Turnbull being injured too) the cupboard is looking rather bare bare Warbs (and Tipuric).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 30 Sep 2011, 12:38 pm

You might be right, SS, but it would still be strange to have a plan in place to move your first-choice blindside if your first-choice openside got injured.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:41 pm

so, if scott williams isn't making breaks as well as scoring tries, being solid in defence and providing ball to the wings for them to be scoring tries (as JD2's been), we'll be labelling the centre partnership as "not working" again i presume?

Nothing against scott williams (only the detractors saying this centre partnership isnt working because of JD2) but JD2's done a fantastic job for us so far in the job hes being told to do.

Ps. i understand this to have happened to give JD2 a break as Gats mentioned.

happy friday to us all heart Wales

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:07 pm

JD is being rested end of. However before the RWC he was not producing his regional form in a welsh jersey, somehow he has now taken more responsibility and is looking the player we all knew he was. Scott is also looking very good and offers something different - We could easily put Jamie somewhere else if we needed to but these are nice probs to have. So NO! JD is not axed of course he isn't but I hope the Fijians are (metaphorically of course) this weekend. thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

I've bought smoothies for my staff and sent them home half an hour early. What a nice boss I am.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:32 pm

Comfort wrote:so, if scott williams isn't making breaks as well as scoring tries, being solid in defence and providing ball to the wings for them to be scoring tries (as JD2's been), we'll be labelling the centre partnership as "not working" again i presume?

Nothing against scott williams (only the detractors saying this centre partnership isnt working because of JD2) but JD2's done a fantastic job for us so far in the job hes being told to do.

I actually think JD2 is a great player, we havent seen his best in a welsh jersey yet though. But playing Scott Williams is a good idea, might spark a partnership we didnt think would work, but it will also increase competition within the squad to get the best out of all our centres.

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

IronMike wrote:
Comfort wrote:so, if scott williams isn't making breaks as well as scoring tries, being solid in defence and providing ball to the wings for them to be scoring tries (as JD2's been), we'll be labelling the centre partnership as "not working" again i presume?

I actually think JD2 is a great player, we havent seen his best in a welsh jersey yet though. But playing Scott Williams is a good idea, might spark a partnership we didnt think would work, but it will also increase competition within the squad to get the best out of all our centres.

i completely agree with you iron, i just hope that we as posters afford both JD2 and Scott Williams the same criteria on which to judge.

that was my point.

im not advocating either player ahead of the other at the moment, only that JD2 for me, has forged a good, working patnership with Roberts that could flourish if given time to develop and a fair few posters on here dont give him a fair crack, which is fine, but the same needs to happen for SW2.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:48 pm

Comfort
Spot on mate.

That awful paper splurges "AXED" when the reality is certain key players need a rest before the key quarter finals, unfortunately Warburton hasn't got cover otherwise I am sure he would have been rested.

Anyone who can't see how much of an improved centre Roberts is with Davies outside must be blind. if posters want to see Davies playing the "try scoring centre" he does so well for the region, then

1. Play him at 12
2. Get Gatland to change his tactics, and play Davies the same way Nigel Davies does down PyS

Otherwise appreciate what role Davies is having to play at the moment.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:54 pm

Let's wait and see now shall we?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:37 pm

I HOLD MY HAND UP, I WAS WRONG, I THOUGHT SJ WOULD START AT 10 AND RP COME ON ONCE THE NITTY WAS DONE. I HOPE RHYS HAS A GOOD GAME, BUT I WOULD HAVE STARTED WITH SJ.

SWIMMING AGAINST THE TIDE, GOING AGAINST THE FLOW, THATS ME. Run

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

There are clearly a number of rota changes, if Wales were playing Ireland tomorrow, I would expect, Shane, JD2, Steve Jones, James and Alan Wyn to start. But the 5 players brought in will be good enough to do a job against Fiji.

I for one, am very suprised that Brynmor's son is on the bench, he looked lively agaist Namibia, but by the time he came on they were down to 14 men and they had stopped competing, so even Cooper would have looked good. Suprised also that Ken Owen is not given another chance, Byrnes must be pretty spectacular in training coz he aint doing much on the field!

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

Seagultaf wrote:There are clearly a number of rota changes, if Wales were playing Ireland tomorrow, I would expect, Shane, JD2, Steve Jones, James and Alan Wyn to start. But the 5 players brought in will be good enough to do a job against Fiji.

I for one, am very suprised that Brynmor's son is on the bench, he looked lively agaist Namibia, but by the time he came on they were down to 14 men and they had stopped competing, so even Cooper would have looked good. Suprised also that Ken Owen is not given another chance, Byrnes must be pretty spectacular in training coz he aint doing much on the field!

I wouldnt start SJ or Hook against Ireland.

Who would you play instead of Byrne?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down