The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jonathan Davies' commentary

+22
TycroesOsprey
Totallybiasedscarlet
thebluesmancometh
Irishhoneymonster
nobbled
Taffineastbourne
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Knowsit17
nathan
Taylorman
Shifty
niwatts
Woodstock
lostinwales
IanBru
Adam D
majesticimperialman
Biltong
Shane_Williams
Hood83
trebellbobaggins
KickAndChase
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jonathan Davies' commentary Empty Jonathan Davies' commentary

Post by KickAndChase Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

Do you like it or not? I personally hate it. One - eyed and gets far too overexcited for Wales. For a neutral it's literally sickening. MUTE.

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Jonathan Davies' commentary Empty Re: Jonathan Davies' commentary

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:28 pm

As bad as Moore sadly.

Brilliant game though and Wales did everything they needed to,

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

It's terrible and completely unacceptable to be that subjective. He is a commentator not a supporter, if he can't keep his bias in check, he shouldn't be involved.

I also had to mute to enjoy what was a decent game and a thoroughly deserved Slam.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane_Williams Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

Today he was particularly bad, coming from a welsh fan. Not one-eyed in my opinion but as you say gets too excited about wales.

Shane_Williams

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:37 pm

Can say I didn't enjoy their commentary.

thumbsdown
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:38 pm

To be fair, he's a fan like the rest of us. Give him a break, his side just won a slam.

Let's not take away from a fine Welsh perfomance.

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:39 pm

I dont like JD to be honest because every time Wales do something, it is absolutely brilliant.

But when Farnce do the same thing, it is just good from France.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:41 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:To be fair, he's a fan like the rest of us. Give him a break, his side just won a slam.

Excellent performance by Wales, but if we're discussing the commentary (and we are) it was appalling. He's not there to be a fan, he's there to comment on the game from a point of impartiality. He didn't. There's a good reason for saying Wales rather than 'we' when commentating, and that is to make it as clear as possible for all viewers.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:42 pm

I like it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:45 pm

He's not biased towards Wales, but he barely mentions the opposition and, yes, he gets far far too excited when Wales touch the ball.

Moore is in a different league - he's passionate but, more importantly, he's critical of his own team where criticism is due. I don't think I've heard Davies say anything remotely critical of Wales in a long long time.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

Moore also knows a great deal about scrum play and actually did the referee exams so he at least knows of what he speaks

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodstock Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:51 pm

LOL He is biased towards Wales, and France would not have had the UK commentary!

We have to but up wit inverdale and moore.

Well done JD OK
Woodstock
Woodstock

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:52 pm

lostinwales wrote:Moore also knows a great deal about scrum play and actually did the referee exams so he at least knows of what he speaks
By the end of doing the ref exams I bet he now knows less about scrum play than he did when he was playing. Or he's certainly more confused! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

I don't mind having a nationalistic commentator sometimes. I think the problem is when both the commentators are from the country playing. You need some contrast. It doesn't have to be a Welsh & French in the box, but there should have been an Irish/Scot/English voice in there.

Last edited by niwatts on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

We were playing France and with respect I think the French would be watching their own commentry in their own language.

I'd much rather Jiffy then Brian Moore inflicted upon us like he was in 2005 when we won the slam. Jiffy isn't offending anyone because today he is there for the Welsh audience and anyone else who fancies watching.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 17 Mar 2012, 4:56 pm

Hood83 wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:To be fair, he's a fan like the rest of us. Give him a break, his side just won a slam.

Excellent performance by Wales, but if we're discussing the commentary (and we are) it was appalling. He's not there to be a fan, he's there to comment on the game from a point of impartiality. He didn't. There's a good reason for saying Wales rather than 'we' when commentating, and that is to make it as clear as possible for all viewers.

Good point. 'We' doesnt belong in the commentary box in the same way a ref doesnt say You and us. English french irish scots kiws ozzies and SA fans are all watching this as well. Who is 'we'.

Mind you. Hes known to be like this and perhaps this time the emotion dulled his ability to be neutral, having probably been in the same position as a player so understandable if not acceptable.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by KickAndChase Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:05 pm

AlynDavies wrote:We were playing France and with respect I think the French would be watching their own commentry in their own language.

I'd much rather Jiffy then Brian Moore inflicted upon us like he was in 2005 when we won the slam. Jiffy isn't offending anyone because today he is there for the Welsh audience and anyone else who fancies watching.

Um, he is offending me. I'm a neutral wanting to watch a good game of rugby from two very good teams. I want to hear about the pros and cons of both these sides I am neutral to. I want to hear about both of their set ups, where they are in world rugby, what to know about them when they come to play my team at some point in the future too.

Also - Scotland Wales 2010. That was the most offended I've ever been watching a rugby match. I wanted to punch the screen because of him, not even because of the horrific loss that it was. It's was like having some little gremlin in your ear doing this laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing laughing

Point made.

PS Well done Wales - I have been skeptical in the past esp 2008 grand slam but this is a very good side. Have one on me Ale

KickAndChase

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

numbers!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

He went overboard bigtime today. While I didn't mind Davies' commentary, I know I would have hated it had it been an English/French/Irish/Italian/Scottish fan covering an England/France/Ireland/Italy/Scotland game. Fair is fair.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

If jiffy is there to pander to the minority welsh audience then who is the other Welshman is the team there to pander too?

To be fair he wasnt actually as bad as he can be during the game. He seemed to be having a good time, its usually when Wales are losing or on the end of (good) ref call he gets whingey

I rather enjoyed his chuckles over the poor lad getting a knee in the coal mine.

Numbers, great tackle, fantastic. Ill forgive him for getting excited and emotional ... at least he cares.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:45 pm

I really do not get this thread.We have months of coverage in the press about Farrell this,Farrell that with barely a sniff about Wales.Yet on match day a bit of Welshness raises its head and all Hell breaks loose.
Get real and think about it,people.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:47 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:I really do not get this thread.We have months of coverage in the press about Farrell this,Farrell that with barely a sniff about Wales.Yet on match day a bit of Welshness raises its head and all Hell breaks loose.
Get real and think about it,people.

Quite. Why arent we talking about Farrells kicking? What a guy.....

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:49 pm

Yep, Farrell can wreck me any day heart

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 17 Mar 2012, 9:59 pm

Hate Jiffy. I muted the game to try and listen on the radio, but it didn't work out as the commentary on the radio was a few seconds ahead which ruins it.
It's not just his bias, or the fact that he's so often wrong ( case in point today - "he's on his feet" just as the replay shows the player clearly lying on a player on the floor) or the fact he has nothing of interest to say - ever.
Well okay it's mainly the above, but rounded off by the most annoying damn voice!
Can't stand the sound of him.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:03 pm

I thought he was diabolical to be honest!

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:09 pm

I've supported Wales since the mid-1950s and agree with the criticism of Jonathan Davies as a commentator. He was a great player in union and league, and I'm happy to listen to him in rugby forums with other ex-players like Dallaglio, Wood, Nichol and Guscott where a bit of national bias may add spice to discussions. But a match commentator should be much more impartial than Jiffy.

Last edited by optimist on Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change word)

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

Jon Davies is to Wales what Moore is to England, the constant call of numbers and it has to go wide is no more annoying than the crooked scrum feed and noone has a clue at the scrum!

I like both, it's hard not to, they are both fans, and are passionate!

If I watch England V France or Italy I don't have a whinge that the comentary team is too biased...

I suggest a lot of people grow up, let every comentator support their own team, or at leats whinge about your comentator being biased toward your team too!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:15 pm

I think comparing Moore to Jiffy is tosh.
Not saying Moore can't be biased, but he is often England's harshest critic. He is also knowledgable and doesn't remind of a mosquito that needs squashing.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Jon Davies is to Wales what Moore is to England, the constant call of numbers and it has to go wide is no more annoying than the crooked scrum feed and noone has a clue at the scrum!

I like both, it's hard not to, they are both fans, and are passionate!

If I watch England V France or Italy I don't have a whinge that the comentary team is too biased...

I suggest a lot of people grow up, let every comentator support their own team, or at leats whinge about your comentator being biased toward your team too!

Sorry JD is alot worse than BM which kind of puts it into perspective don't you think?

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

No but he does remind me of Butlers wife who needs a slap at times!

Moore is unashamedly English, he whinges about every ref, and repeats the same things over and over, he is exactly like jiffy!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by nobbled Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:21 pm

There was another thread about least liked pundits and Jiffy came out as most hated. A surprising number of neutrals were pro-Moore as he was deemed to know what he was talking about.
nobbled
nobbled

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:23 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Moore is unashamedly English, he whinges about every ref, and repeats the same things over and over, he is exactly like jiffy!!!

This is the same guy who criticsed us after our QF exit vs Australia. An absolute hypocryte.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm

I've changed my mind (and sobriety).

Complete nob.

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sat 17 Mar 2012, 10:38 pm

Jiffy - biased? One name for you. Lawrence Dallaglio. Lawrence in case you didn't notice Wales won the Grand Slam today. England came second.

By the way england fans - good result. You have a good coach in Lancaster but that Irish/Italian fellow is a dwarf thrower laughing
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Mar 2012, 11:01 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I dont like JD to be honest because every time Wales do something, it is absolutely brilliant.

But when Farnce do the same thing, it is just good from France.

Yeah you're right, but I remember JD saying to your man Inverdale in 09 Wales won when all the EBC wanted to do was talk about England. What about that Madge?

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Sat 17 Mar 2012, 11:15 pm

Jiffy, lolli, Moore Butler et al are paid to be a bit jingoistic so why freak out about it thats what they are supposed to do. Ive met Jiffy a couple of times, threw up on his shoes at Neath RFC as a teenager and had a convo with him about rugby in Tonna rugby club a couple of years later (no i didnt remind him about my technicolour yawn) He is incredibly knowledgable about the game as you would expect from a player who achieved as much as he did. Just watched the repeat of the match on the beeb and actually his commentary was relatively complementary of French players and critical of the welsh at times. What was obvious though was his support for the welsh team.

Normally we get a balance in the box and have an Englishman/Irishman/Scotsman when we play those sides but never an Italian or Frenchman so we lose the balance when those matches are on. Jiffy and Butler together make it a welsh overload and we needed a French voice other than in the studio.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:49 am

He should be in the pub but not commentating live.

It's like Fanzine & he doesn't add anything to the occasion because he gets too carried away. To be passionate & impartial is very difficult but he is an embarrassment at times.

He is much better on scrum V when he has time to reflect & considers his comments - oh & we don't have his high pitched whine either!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:52 am

Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Jiffy - biased? One name for you. Lawrence Dallaglio. Lawrence in case you didn't notice Wales won the Grand Slam today. England came second.

By the way england fans - good result. You have a good coach in Lancaster but that Irish/Italian fellow is a dwarf thrower laughing

I never saw him fling Shane into touch Whistle

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sun 18 Mar 2012, 3:08 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:
Totallybiasedscarlet wrote:Jiffy - biased? One name for you. Lawrence Dallaglio. Lawrence in case you didn't notice Wales won the Grand Slam today. England came second.

I never saw him fling Shane into touch Whistle

That's because if he ever got close he was always looking at his heels Cool

Besides you should never toss a dwarf. Ask Gimli Very Happy
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Hood83 wrote:

Good point. 'We' doesnt belong in the commentary box in the same way a ref doesnt say You and us. English french irish scots kiws ozzies and SA fans are all watching this as well. Who is 'we'.

Mind you. Hes known to be like this and perhaps this time the emotion dulled his ability to be neutral, having probably been in the same position as a player so understandable if not acceptable.

Cheers, that's pretty much as i see it. It's not actually the bias in and of itself, but impartiality is there for a reason.

I don't think he's horrendously biased it terms of favouring Wales, he is willing to criticise them and applaud the opposition. But he cannot say 'we', and if we have to accept him getting over excited at Welsh breaks, we should expect a Frenchman to offer balance. In contrast, Butler actually managed to stay pretty neutral in tone - a remarkable achievement for him

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

Butler is always the only impartial one though, is there an argument for him to head these programmes as Inverdale is clearly one eyed?

I don't see what the problem is, when Moore goes nut about England I find it funny, but also sweet. Similar to when Davies yelps when Wales break the line.

If you have that much of a problem watch the game on a different medium, but mostly...

STOP WHINGING IT IS BORING!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:27 pm

JD said "we"! Boo-hoo

It's great, you can't criticise Wales so you go for a commentator

He's been doing it for years,
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:30 pm

Also if you watch korkeys six nations it provides a good incite to JD and moore's roles when the mike's off.

Perhaps the "Numbers" call is a shout to the director...?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 5:49 pm

I like Jiffy and i got no problem really with commentaters being a bit biased. I like Moore alot and those Australian boys(they show u what being biased really is). Lets be honest theres no Bill Mclarens around these days.
Fair enough if The Scottish and Irish boys dont like it but you English lads? The coverage is SO geared towards England and their games its a joke.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Butler is always the only impartial one though, is there an argument for him to head these programmes as Inverdale is clearly one eyed?

I don't see what the problem is, when Moore goes nut about England I find it funny, but also sweet. Similar to when Davies yelps when Wales break the line.

If you have that much of a problem watch the game on a different medium, but mostly...

STOP WHINGING IT IS BORING!

Having an opinion isn't whingeing, stop whingeing about whingeing... Wink

Butler i always thought was the worst, but he's improved. Inverdale manages to remember to call teams by their name, which is the main requirement that escapes Jiffy. He is however, horrendously boorish about England, so i'd be happy if they ditched him.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 18 Mar 2012, 6:59 pm

slartibartfast wrote:JD said "we"! Boo-hoo

It's great, you can't criticise Wales so you go for a commentator

He's been doing it for years,

We know, it's tiresome and unprofessional. It also has nothing to do with his Welshness. For a neutral, it's frustrating and distracting. Or at least it is for me. Clearly, plenty of people don't care, good on them, but it's not a slight to any country.

If you said Inverdale is a oafish buffoon who knows nothing about the game and can barely bring himself to mention a team other than England i'd agree.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:06 pm

Moore needs to shut it telling us what we know about the scrum already.
I would hardly call him a commentator much more like a little angry man moaning down a microphone.
Jiffy sounds like a 12 year slapping his todger for the first time whenever Wales touch the ball.
Butler is just a smart ass trying to get every line he speaks written down in the history books.

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:08 pm

Whereas you are the voice of reason and moderation itself apparently

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:13 pm

Inverdale is quite the thick plank, i tend to pity him more than dislike.
He kind of reminds me of what we these days call an "expert"
In every field of life from money to science and from wine to childcare we have some "expert" telling us how it's done right,but we all look on and laugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 18 Mar 2012, 7:15 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Whereas you are the voice of reason and moderation itself apparently
Got your attention chin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next