The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Irish Abroad

+9
D24tress
Boyne
dublin_dave
eirebilly
red_stag
Cari
Rava
Standulstermen
Mickado
13 posters

Go down

The Irish Abroad Empty The Irish Abroad

Post by Mickado Fri 30 Sep - 9:28

Nope, not a thread about 18-30’s holidays sorry if I got your hopes up.

At every Irish game so far in this WC we’ve seen really fantastic support in the stands, now maybe that could be put down to the local Kiwis getting behind us against Aus but there were 20,000 Irish fans at the Russia game in Rotarua! Donnacha Ryan (and pretty much every player that has been interviewed) has said that the support is phenomenal, Les Kiss said on Ruggamatrix that the noise the supporters generate is as loud as anything he’s heard. He also mentioned that every town / city they go to is packed with campervans flying the tricolour.

My question is, why does support for the country become united and more intense when we leave home? Why is Lansdowne like a church (for some games) but Eden park is hopping?

Maybe all the rugby fans emigrated at the start of the recession…?

Mickado

Back to top Go down

The Irish Abroad Empty Re: The Irish Abroad

Post by Standulstermen Fri 30 Sep - 9:34

The reality is probably something to do with the distribution of tickets. I would suggest many diehard fans have planned a trip to the RWC well in advance and have saved for it. Its a holiday after all. Also for the ex-pats it is one of the few chances to see the team.

I think a lot of fans that can pick up tickets for the Lansdowne/Aviva games are more casual. Could be wrong but just the impression i get.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 30 Sep - 9:35

Mick the fans following the team in New Zealand are genuine rugby fans who, unfortunately, are diluted when they are in Landsdowne Road.
There are too many people going to the Rugby Internationals on the back of corporate industry who, while they may have an interest, are never going to be vociferous.
You and I had the experience of that against England in the 6N. Pleople around us were never going to get into a chant! Too many fur coats!
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 30 Sep - 9:42

I think people develop a deeper appreciation of where they're from once they've left. It's like nostalgia. We romantisize things from a distance and forget about the crap bits. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep - 9:47

I agree with Cari. there is nobody more Irish than the Irish who don't live at how any more.

I had an amazing experience watching Ireland v Australia in an ex-pat pub in London. It was the best pub atmosphere I've experienced.

Not that many are actually heading to NZ from Ireland. However apparently a lot are expats who have headed over from Australia or the USA.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri 30 Sep - 10:02

Cari, bang on. When i lived in Ireland i mainly Chose Munster matches over Ireland so didnt see them that much. Now that i live in Holland, i go to as many as i can. I have not missed Ireland playing in Italy since Italy joined the 6N, i often got to France to watch them and make the trek to Wales and Scotland to watch them. I had planned on going to NZ but an illness foiled my plans of flying to NZ Sad.

I guess its fair to say that since i left Ireland, i have become more Irish Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 30 Sep - 10:46

lets not beat ourselves up too much here lads.

the aviva has been poor for most games because we have played poorly and there have been quite a lot of low scoring games in the 6 nations. it was hopping v england and for parts of the NZ game. Nothing wrong with the atmosphere for Leinster games in the Aviva either. Munster/Ulster fans also create a top atmosphere on their day

The atmosphere never seems to be all that in the Southern Hemisphere particularly Aus and NZ but that is just my impression from watching tri nations and Super 15 on the tele.

All credit to the fans out there be they ex pats or visitors. They have provided great backing so far

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Fri 30 Sep - 10:50

Cari has it. Ppl on holliers tend to go nuts anyway! Plus, not as many kids and stiffs!!

Very Happy

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri 30 Sep - 10:54

If you are a young 20 something like me with friends down under travelling
you will know its not rugby mad people that are supporting the team extra hard, it just seems to be a meeting point and a party for young irish people down under, i know groups of girls who are going to every game and have never seen a game in there lives, but they want to be at every game cause every irish person is there.

But thats the great thing about our country if it was tiddlywinks you'll get a crowd of irish to go along and support.

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Fri 30 Sep - 10:57

D24tress wrote:If you are a young 20 something like me with friends down under travelling
you will know its not rugby mad people that are supporting the team extra hard, it just seems to be a meeting point and a party for young irish people down under, i know groups of girls who are going to every game and have never seen a game in there lives, but they want to be at every game cause every irish person is there.

But thats the great thing about our country if it was tiddlywinks you'll get a crowd of irish to go along and support.

Spot on - that and lots of beer have Irish fans singing ole ole ole.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 30 Sep - 10:59

Oh sure there's loads of people from the NH that have gone to New Zealand for the holiday anyway, and will go to a rugby match whilst they're there just because it's the World Cup and their country is playing. I suppose it's a bit easier to get tickets for some NH matches down there at the moment anyway? (I'm guessing...)

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 30 Sep - 11:01

Tickets actually aren't that hard to get. Neither are flights. However suitable accommodation is like hens teeth.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri 30 Sep - 11:08

Cari wrote:Oh sure there's loads of people from the NH that have gone to New Zealand for the holiday anyway, and will go to a rugby match whilst they're there just because it's the World Cup and their country is playing. I suppose it's a bit easier to get tickets for some NH matches down there at the moment anyway? (I'm guessing...)

They arent on holidays cari, something like 50k(not sure on the number) young irish people have headed down under for work, its the 80's all over again

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 30 Sep - 11:12

BlueMuff wrote:
D24tress wrote:If you are a young 20 something like me with friends down under travelling

Ah yeah, i was thinking that there must have been a lot of soccer fans there alright. No harm, as long as they keep it green and loud and behave. Which they have been doing. The Ruggamatrix lads were saying that the Irish fans were a hit in NZ because they turn up in big numbers, buy programs (they guy who said this writes the programs) drink beer, make noise and don't get into fights. Happy days.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Fri 30 Sep - 11:17

Mickado wrote:
BlueMuff wrote:

Ah yeah, i was thinking that there must have been a lot of soccer fans there alright. No harm, as long as they keep it green and loud and behave. Which they have been doing. The Ruggamatrix lads were saying that the Irish fans were a hit in NZ because they turn up in big numbers, buy programs (they guy who said this writes the programs) drink beer, make noise and don't get into fights. Happy days.

I think its safe to say that they are all there for a good time anyway, jamie heislip put up a good tweet with a video of loads of irish fans singing molly malone outside a pub, just looks like its a great session really.

I'd say 2015 will be alot different to it

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 30 Sep - 11:18

haha. kids and stiffs. love it

kids should be banned from derby games and grudge matches in all sports : )

alcohol should be free courtesy of the good people at heiniken by god then you would get some atmosphere. also earliers weekend kick offs should be 530.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 30 Sep - 11:26

D24tress wrote:
Cari wrote:Oh sure there's loads of people from the NH that have gone to New Zealand for the holiday anyway, and will go to a rugby match whilst they're there just because it's the World Cup and their country is playing. I suppose it's a bit easier to get tickets for some NH matches down there at the moment anyway? (I'm guessing...)

They arent on holidays cari, something like 50k(not sure on the number) young irish people have headed down under for work, its the 80's all over again

D24 - I was speaking of the NH countries as a whole.. I appreciate there's loads of ex-pats down there, but some people have used the RWC as a good excuse to go on a trip too.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 30 Sep - 13:24

The fact is most of the fans at the games are not diehard rugby fans. Only 1500 - 3000 went out from Ireland. The rest are young ex pats most might have been to the odd game here and there...possibly a Leinster/Munster HC final, probably lots of lads from GAA heartlands who are just having a laugh and supporting their country. Its probably because of this that the atmosphere is much better.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by KiaRose Fri 30 Sep - 22:58

Rava wrote: Too many fur coats!

Are you saying I mustn't wear my fur coat, Rava? But a cold day at the Rec (or Cheltenham Races), really the only thing for a girl to wear is her best mink ...

KiaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sat 1 Oct - 1:34

I've been to the Ireland games. The Irish fans that are there have been fantastic. I'd say a mixture of Irish rugby supporters, Irish on holiday in NZ and Australia, Irish working in NZ and Australia. The majority of the Irish fans have been Kiwi (whiich becomes apparent when sections of the crowd sing Irelands call, or Fields of Athenay).

Absolutely great time, though. Haven't been to Landsdown, but the crowds have been resonably vocal and it must seem like a home game.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down