The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyson The movie

+3
Sir. badgerhands
Rowley
Rich1066
7 posters

Go down

Tyson The movie Empty Tyson The movie

Post by Rich1066 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:55 pm

Just Finished watching the above. I watched the special edition with 4 hours worth of Tyson fights. For me it raised a lot of questions. What amazed me was early in his career Tyson fought 15 times in one year! Can you imagine today's boxings doing that? Every couple of weeks having a fight. Which raises question one, do you think that was better or worse for a boxer? Second the hours of fight extra ends with the Douglas fight. This raises two points, firstly Buster Douglas. He looked amazing that fight, fought out of his skin to become the unified champion. But measure that against his next fight against Holyfield! I know you need factor in his mum but surely the fight against Tyson must have installed his sense of belief in himself, why not bother for Holyfield. The Other point is at the end the presenter talks about a reporter asking mike after the mcbride fight and annoucing his retirement how he felt now his career was over. Tyson replied his career had been over since 1990 (the buster fight). I felt it showed mike had the clarity to recognise that. Thoughts

Lastly, can anyone recommend any good books on Tyson? Also I don't have many boxing DVDs, I have rumble in the jungle and thriller in manillia. I like my history of boxing, can anyone recommend any good boxing DVD?

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Tyson The movie Empty Re: Tyson The movie

Post by Rowley Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:01 pm

Rich if you are interested in the Tyson Douglas fight you would do well to read Joe Laydon's The Last Great Fight covers it in excellent detail. Basically post Tyson Douglas was at the middle of an unseemly tug of war between a number of rival promoters in which is father was used as a bargaining tool. buster already had a massively complex relationship with his father and to put it simply all this politics and BS basically meant he fell out of love with the game and was there for the taking by the time of the Holy fight, real pity because as you say Tyson proved how good he could have been.

With regard to fighters on the way up fighting more regularly I have long advocted this particularly in the case of a guy like Tyson who tends to get rid of guys quickly. Would also have to say those in charge of Tyson did a stellar job bringing him through, not just in choosing the right opponents but also as we have seen with Mike he does struggle without the focus of regular fighting so keeping in in the gym and the ring was probably the best thing for him

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:05 pm

Thanks jeff, I will have a look at that. Did I read somewhere that Douglas then ballooned up in weight and ha major problems with diabetes?

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir. badgerhands Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:31 pm

Read "Tyson" by Peter Heller.

Cracking read, not sure Tyson was too happy with it and it touches on alot of things that he rarely talks about such as his treatment of Bill Cayton and his falling out with Teddy Atlas.

Only goes upto the Buster fight however.

Sir. badgerhands

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:36 pm

Thanks badger hands. I will have a look at that. Any that cover more than that?

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm

I'm not sure there are Rich, Jose Torres wrote one called Fire and Fear which is interesting given how close he was to D'Amato as hepretty saw tyson grow up, however that does not even go up as far as the Douglas fight.

Is a real pity because whatever your opinions on Mike his life and career have not been dull, deserves a decent biography, whether he would be honest and open enough to make it worth while remains to be seen

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:14 pm

www.boxingcareerdvds.com

Good website to pick up cheap DVD's of your favourite fighters.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

Damn you pedro I hve now ordered tommy Morrison, sonny Liston, Ali, katsidis and Tyson! Better stop or the wife will kill me! Appreciate it thank you!

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:23 pm

Rich1066 wrote:Damn you pedro I hve now ordered tommy Morrison, sonny Liston, Ali, katsidis and Tyson! Better stop or the wife will kill me! Appreciate it thank you!

More than welcome man Smile

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 30 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

Pedro147 wrote:
Rich1066 wrote:Damn you pedro I hve now ordered tommy Morrison, sonny Liston, Ali, katsidis and Tyson! Better stop or the wife will kill me! Appreciate it thank you!

More than welcome man Smile

HAHAHA!

I did the same thing. Lewis,Naz,Eubank,Benn, Tyson and a whole host of others. My wife was peed at me when the lot of em were jolted off the rack and crushed all her china. Thank god she'd only thrown out the sherlock holmes collection by the time I got home and stopped her from flinging out my boxing stuff.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 30 Sep 2011, 7:20 pm

Never thought of you as married Shah..For some reason I always thought you swung the other way!!..What do I know!!!!

15 times in one year..well when you are fighting the Sammy Scaffs of this world then you could make it twenty..

However what is lost in history is the fact Tillis only lost 6-4 to Tyson on many cards including mine...

Good effort from a guy constantly maligned!!!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 30 Sep 2011, 8:46 pm

With a KD

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Oct 2011, 10:49 am

Hi,rich. "A Savage Business" by Richard Hoffer is in my view the definitive Tyson book. It analyses his career post Douglas with brilliant clarity. Enjoyable read too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down