The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alfie the Movie

+16
LordDowlais
gregortree
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
Intotouch
mowgli
ScarletSpiderman
Gibson
bluestonevedder
gowales
doctornickolas
Mickado
Thomond
Submachine
mckay1402
HERSH
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alfie the Movie Empty Alfie the Movie

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 10:31 am

Is this really going to happen?

Is it really that bigger deal that a rugby player realises his gay?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-18800422

What are other fans thoughts on this as IMO it's a load of tripe?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Alfie the Movie Empty Re: Alfie the Movie

Post by mckay1402 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:10 am

I have to agree with you that it's probably not worth a film. A film about Dr Jack however would be well received or even Arthur 'Monkey' Gould. Or a film about the 1905 game. There are loads of better stories in Welsh rugby that would be worthy of a film than "man realises he's gay". boromatic
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:13 am

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Fantastic player, Wales most capped at one time. Prolific try scorer, captain of club, country and lions. He has also had a very troubled personal life and had a stroke on live TV.
That’s not bad material to start a screenplay with. Then add that he was the first (and still only?) openly gay international rugby player and that's quite the tale to tell.
The fact that his story is so well known to us rugby types means it doesn't have the wow factor. A prophet is never recognised in his home town.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:17 am

I think he is one of the few sportstars to openly come out as gay so I suppose it is pretty important, he has had an interesting career too I suppose.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:18 am

Still not worthy of a Hollywood film IMO, more Bollywood.

It will flop just like his clothing line.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:19 am

He has a clothing line?
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:22 am

Yep,

Well he did, I don't think there was many big butch Welshmen who wanted to be seen wearing them.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:26 am

Seems to have missed placed them in this photo.

inappropriate link removed - KRD
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

Submachine wrote:I think there's a bit more to it than that. Fantastic player, Wales most capped at one time. Prolific try scorer, captain of club, country and lions. He has also had a very troubled personal life and had a stroke on live TV.
That’s not bad material to start a screenplay with. Then add that he was the first (and still only?) openly gay international rugby player and that's quite the tale to tell.
The fact that his story is so well known to us rugby types means it doesn't have the wow factor. A prophet is never recognised in his home town.

Seriously? Jeysus, i never knew that.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:48 am

Why did you even bother trying to disguise this with a semi-plausible opening question? Surely the title of this thread should be "Gareth Thomas is a Sissy, lets all say clever things about him being a sissy"

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

HERSH wrote:Seems to have missed placed them in this photo.

http://www.competenetwork.com/images/stories/bloggers/ty-05-12/gareth-thomas-attitude.jpg

Bit worried that you have this in your personal collection Hersh. laughing

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 11:56 am

That will teach me for searching for Gareth Thomas's clothes vomit
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:00 pm

Submachine wrote:Why did you even bother trying to disguise this with a semi-plausible opening question? Surely the title of this thread should be "Gareth Thomas is a Sissy, lets all say clever things about him being a sissy"

But that’s the point isn't it, his not a sissy, his just a bloke who is gay that played rugby, so what.

Hardly a basis for a Hollywood Film is it?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:05 pm

You shall henceforth be known to me as "Blind Butch". "Butch" because of your obvious manly manliness. "Blind" because you failed to see the other points raised which may merit his story being told.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 12:19 pm

Maybe its worth a mini series on S4C but not a hollywood film, as in truth it's not a big deal is it!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Thu 19 Jul 2012, 2:40 pm

Mickey Rourke playing him is the biggest joke

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Thu 19 Jul 2012, 3:11 pm

He really understands Alfie. Shocked
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 19 Jul 2012, 3:54 pm

gowales wrote:Mickey Rourke playing him is the biggest joke

Shocked

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 19 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

I just think its great that you guys think its no big deal. Shows just how far we've come. If you'll pardon the pun. OK

I think soccerball may have a problem with the same thing in that sport.

Ah Alfie was a character. I hope they show the punch-up down in Toulouse, with him and Trevor Brennan beating the shoite out of some allegedly errant Ulster fans.

May not be allowed. But feic it, it should be.

Micky Rourke would be great in that part.

I'll download it - if it happens.

Theme music already sorted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoNtj27a6Rk
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:46 am

I could name you loads of pointless Hollywood films. People these days watch tat. And that's what Hollywood supplies.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 20 Jul 2012, 9:50 am

Mickado wrote:
Submachine wrote:I think there's a bit more to it than that. Fantastic player, Wales most capped at one time. Prolific try scorer, captain of club, country and lions. He has also had a very troubled personal life and had a stroke on live TV.

Seriously? Jeysus, i never knew that.

After being grilled about player power on Scrum V, in the studio still (I believe) but not Live on TV.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Fri 20 Jul 2012, 6:00 pm

HERSH wrote:Maybe its worth a mini series on S4C but not a hollywood film, as in truth it's not a big deal is it!

Apparently it is for you that you need to write an artilcle about it to get people to agree with you that it isn't a big deal.

Got that photo on bookmark have you!!

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Sat 21 Jul 2012, 9:32 am

HERSH wrote:Seems to have missed placed them in this photo.

inappropriate link removed - KRD

Why?

Does it bother you KRD? kiss

HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:55 pm

He's pretty ripped huh? Now I have to clear my browser history in case the missus checks, good one hersh! Also, if they can make a movie about the 95 WC, why not one about Thomas. Has the hallmarks of a Hollywood story all over it. How will they embellish it though?

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 12:59 pm

Because of who's posting this question I've no idea if this is genuine or just another dumb windup. However if anyone is wondering why anyone would bother making a film about Gareth Thomas you should know that to people in the gay community he is a REALLY BIG DEAL!

They all know who he is. Gay or lesbians all over the world who had never heard of rugby heard of this man. My colleague who couldn't name one player on the current Welsh team knew all about him. He was the first still playing pro sportsman to come out as gay. This is seen as a huge step forward for gay people everywhere! To see that a gay man could come out in a macho sport and be accepted is a milestone. He is basically a hero for millions of people all over the world.

As far as our own culture goes his story marks a huge change in attitudes for our society. His story marks a monumental shift in tolerance. It's literally a couple of thousand years since there were openly gay sportsmen in Europe.

Since he came out he has had thousands of young people write to him who were going to give up sport because they were afraid to come out, afraid of homophobia from the audience or fellow team mates. He has encouraged people to stick with sports they love and have the courage to be honest about who they are. Thus it is a feelgood happy ending type film that American audiences will love.

As for me I think that a film (if it's done well) that deals with a persons struggle with self loathing/ identity/ fear would be fascinating. And it's got rugby!

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:08 pm

I think it could/would be a good film.

But they can't seriously cast 59 year old Mickey Rourke as Gareth.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:12 pm

Ian Roberts. That was a shock (sorry if that offends) and well before where we are now with respect to acceptance.

How many teeth does Mickey have?

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:17 pm

I just typed "Mickey Rourke how many teeth" in google and the results say Mickey Rourke to have front teeth removed for rugby role!

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jul 2012, 1:23 pm

gowales wrote:I just typed "Mickey Rourke how many teeth" in google and the results say Mickey Rourke to have front teeth removed for rugby role!
Laugh He's perfect, the consummate professional.

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Sat 21 Jul 2012, 2:34 pm

He had his teeth knocked out years ago boxing. Anyway he's not going to star in it now.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 23 Jul 2012, 10:05 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
gowales wrote:Mickey Rourke playing him is the biggest joke

Shocked

Wholeheartedly agree with that.

A film about Gareth Thomas is quite a strange topic anyway let alone having Mickey Rourke playing him.

Would anyone actually watch this?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 23 Jul 2012, 11:12 am

Intotouch wrote:Because of who's posting this question I've no idea if this is genuine or just another dumb windup. However if anyone is wondering why anyone would bother making a film about Gareth Thomas you should know that to people in the gay community he is a REALLY BIG DEAL!

They all know who he is. Gay or lesbians all over the world who had never heard of rugby heard of this man. My colleague who couldn't name one player on the current Welsh team knew all about him. He was the first still playing pro sportsman to come out as gay. This is seen as a huge step forward for gay people everywhere! To see that a gay man could come out in a macho sport and be accepted is a milestone. He is basically a hero for millions of people all over the world.

As far as our own culture goes his story marks a huge change in attitudes for our society. His story marks a monumental shift in tolerance. It's literally a couple of thousand years since there were openly gay sportsmen in Europe.

Since he came out he has had thousands of young people write to him who were going to give up sport because they were afraid to come out, afraid of homophobia from the audience or fellow team mates. He has encouraged people to stick with sports they love and have the courage to be honest about who they are. Thus it is a feelgood happy ending type film that American audiences will love.

As for me I think that a film (if it's done well) that deals with a persons struggle with self loathing/ identity/ fear would be fascinating. And it's got rugby!

What he said.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm

'what is rugby? ' I can hear the average American cine watcher ask. But still, the movie could work in the rest of the English speaking colonies.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:16 pm

Gregor, did they say the same druing Invictus? I think this movie won't focus a lot on the rugby side of things.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 23 Jul 2012, 12:34 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
Intotouch wrote:Because of who's posting this question I've no idea if this is genuine or just another dumb windup. However if anyone is wondering why anyone would bother making a film about Gareth Thomas you should know that to people in the gay community he is a REALLY BIG DEAL!

What he said.

Semi agree. However I feel sorry for Nigel Owens, as to be fair he open about his sexuality and his eating disorder before Alfie was, and also when he was at the top of his profession, unlike Alfie (who was more of less finished before he 'bravely' came out).

I think the film will be another Invictus sort of thing, take a story that is based around rugby but has universal appeal, remove as much of the rugby as possible (without harming the story line) and slap in some well known actors.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Jul 2012, 5:20 pm

Look, although Hersh can be a little bit tongue in cheek sometimes I find his wind ups quite amusing most of the time, and to a certain degree he makes a good point, this film has nothing to do with the rugby involved it is just a seedy way of making millions out of the gay communities and soppy women who like this sort of thing around the world, it just happens to be that Gareth was a rugby player, it would still be made if he was a boxer or footballer. This storyb has nothing to do with how Gareth Thomas "the brave" came out as the fact that he was gay was the worst kept secret in the whole of Wales for years before he came out, what it is though is a very clever way of making millions of spodulics out of people. Oh and by the way Mickey Rourke is playing the part of Gareth Thomas, they were on the Welsh news together the other night and yes it was cringe worthy watching big each other up, I bet Mickey has never watched a game of rugby in his life. I tell you one thing though, I bet me and the misses will end up in the pictures watching this, so there you go theres a tenner before we eeven start. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jul 2012, 8:41 pm

LordDowlais wrote:This film has nothing to do with the rugby involved it is just a seedy way of making millions out of the gay communities and soppy women who like this sort of thing around the world, it just happens to be that Gareth was a rugby player, it would still be made if he was a boxer or footballer. This storyb has nothing to do with how Gareth Thomas "the brave" came out

The fact that Gareth Thomas was an international rugby player - in Wales, where that's quite a big deal - is central to the story. It gives hope to every young Welshman who has a love of and an aptitude for rugby and who also happens to be gay that they don't have to give up the sport they love, that playing rugby and being gay are not incompatible. It also shows the wider world that their stereotype of gay men as mincing queens is wide of the mark. Surely you don't have to be a member of the "gay communities" or a "soppy woman" to appreciate the significance of what Gareth Thomas has done?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jul 2012, 9:04 pm

I'll be honest, yes it was the worst kept secret in the UK, but that's not the point. If it was that easy to come out, I'm sure he and other people would do it. What's the harm in it? Films get made all the time for every sort of situation, so why not this. Especially if it helps other people in a similar situation and if it helps educate morons like those Castleford RL fans who abused him, then plenty of good will come out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jul 2012, 10:58 am

LordDowlais wrote:This film has nothing to do with the rugby involved it is just a seedy way of making millions out of the gay communities and soppy women who like this sort of thing around the world, it just happens to be that Gareth was a rugby player, it would still be made if he was a boxer or footballer. This storyb has nothing to do with how Gareth Thomas "the brave" came out

The fact that Gareth Thomas was an international rugby player - in Wales, where that's quite a big deal - is central to the story. It gives hope to every young Welshman who has a love of and an aptitude for rugby and who also happens to be gay that they don't have to give up the sport they love, that playing rugby and being gay are not incompatible. It also shows the wider world that their stereotype of gay men as mincing queens is wide of the mark. Surely you don't have to be a member of the "gay communities" or a "soppy woman" to appreciate the significance of what Gareth Thomas has done?

Luckless, you honestly don't think that the makers of this movie are doing this for the good of rugby and gay people do you ? Look, the rugby is only in the film because that is what Gareth done, if he was a boxer then boxing would be central to the story. This is just a way for film buffs to make a hefty few quid. Look I could not give a rats arris what people sexualities are, I knew Gareth was gay about ten years ago, it did not bother me, and it still does'nt, he always put in the performances on the pitch and that is all I care about, I have watched various documentries about his life and how he wished he wasn't that way so if you want to find out about them watch those, this is just a way of making a few quid thats all. Mickey Rourke even said he has studied all Gareths life, so I wonder if he could tell you about his Bridgend days, I doubt it, it just feels a little cringe worthy to me thats all, besides I will probably end up watching it anyway. Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:33 am

Dowlais, of course I know this is just a money-spinning exercise - I'm not naive enough to think that Hollywood makes its films for any other reason; but thousands and thousands of people who haven't heard Alfie's story will watch it and it can only be a good thing that the film's being made.

Yes, if he was a boxer then the film would be about a boxer who came out; then the film would be a great relief and help to any budding boxers who happen to be gay.

And I have no doubt that Hollywood's treatment of rugby will be unintentionally funny!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:47 am

Has no onne stopped to think that the movie could be made to help bald people accept their fate and realise it's okay to be bald. It might help non bald people acknowledge the plight of the bald man and not castigate him anymore I expect Thomas' celebration to be at the forefront of the film.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 25 Jul 2012, 11:52 am

They had Bald Pride in Cardiff last Saturday. Talk about glare...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:12 pm

Thomond wrote:Has no onne stopped to think that the movie could be made to help bald people accept their fate and realise it's okay to be bald. It might help non bald people acknowledge the plight of the bald man and not castigate him anymore I expect Thomas' celebration to be at the forefront of the film.

Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed 25 Jul 2012, 12:15 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Dowlais, of course I know this is just a money-spinning exercise - I'm not naive enough to think that Hollywood makes its films for any other reason; but thousands and thousands of people who haven't heard Alfie's story will watch it and it can only be a good thing that the film's being made.

Yes, if he was a boxer then the film would be about a boxer who came out; then the film would be a great relief and help to any budding boxers who happen to be gay.

And I have no doubt that Hollywood's treatment of rugby will be unintentionally funny!

I cannot wait to see how Mickey Rourke at the ripe old age of 50+ gets made to look like a young 20 odd year old rugby player, unless Hollywood think that nobody starts playing rugby until they are middle aged. Doh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mowgli Wed 25 Jul 2012, 5:30 pm

If this gets made which id doubt, i only hope they get the rugby right. Invictus was bl00dy awful, the sound effects used for scrummaging sounded like they had been lifted from a 1970s porn film.

mowgli

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:48 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
I cannot wait to see how Mickey Rourke at the ripe old age of 50+ gets made to look like a young 20 odd year old rugby player, unless Hollywood think that nobody starts playing rugby until they are middle aged. Doh

Well I think that would be ok if it were about Irish rugby... Smile guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:55 pm

Risca Rev wrote:I'll be honest, yes it was the worst kept secret in the UK, but that's not the point. If it was that easy to come out, I'm sure he and other people would do it. What's the harm in it? Films get made all the time for every sort of situation, so why not this. Especially if it helps other people in a similar situation and if it helps educate morons like those Castleford RL fans who abused him, then plenty of good will come out of it.

guinness kiss
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 25 Jul 2012, 6:57 pm

What he said.

What he said, he said.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:06 am

If you want a gay icon who is also a rugby player why not make a movie about Ben Cohen?

The title could be "Gareth who?" Wink

The problem with Gareth Thomas that you elude to is that he's more famous for being gay than he is for being a good sportsman which is a shame.

Compare that to Nigel Owens who is one of the best rugby refs in the world (arguably no 1) and openly gay - his profile is much lower.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 26 Jul 2012, 10:11 am

beshocked, read Nigels book, it realy is an interesting book to read, and none of it is fancy shmancy like Gareths film, but this is what I am trying to get at on this thread, people of the same ilk as Gareth and Nigel can still be inspired by reading Nigels book not watching some flashy lights hollywood film.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next