The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR

+10
legendkillar
teassoc
time please
Jeremy_Kyle
CaledonianCraig
Calder106
Josiah Maiestas
hawkeye
Tenez
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR Empty MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:13 am

After his straight sets Qtr final win against Dimitrov, Murray in a interview admitted that he is looking to finish in the top 3 by the year end.

"By playing the full Asian stretch, there is a chance for me to try and move my ranking up by one spot, which is something I want to do by the end of the year,"

Now to me it looks like Murray has changed a bit. For a player who has finished in in top 4 for the last 3 years have have been consitently there and has even seen a highest raking of #2 and played 3 GS finals and reaching the SF of all the 4 GS in 2011, this is a low ambition. Why should it matter for him even if he finishes within top 3 this year? What he thinks he can achieve even if he finished in top-3. It could have been important for a player who has never seen a top 3, but for Murray it looks odd. He could have said that he looks to reach the finals and even win the last prestigious tournament WTF. Why he is playing the full asian swing? I see this as an opportunistic decision more than anything else. Why are these small ATP250 and 500 tournaments so important for him when he himself complains about the tour being so long and threatens for possible strike. He could have taken an injury break and come up well prepared for shanghai, Bercy and WTF. It looks like he knows that he too is defending some good points in the coming months and hence must gain enough with small tournament wins, in order to maintain his points. Nadal did just this by playing Barcelona, even risking what he suffered in 2009 clay season and beyond. Why?? else he would have lost his #1 before wimbledon itself. http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/04/16/Barcelona-Monday-Nadal-Eyes-Opportunity.aspx

Murray is trying something similar.

Also I think he seems frustrated with the fact that he never gets a mention in the top 3 players and its always said that the big 3 are way ahead of the rest and he wants to show his critics that by finishing in top-3 he now has earned the right to be counted in that league. Though it still will be on paper as even at #4, Fed will always be a better player. He I believe has seen this as a great opportunity. Federer now has a lot of points to defend. He is already planned to miss shanghai and has a semis spot to defend at Bercy and a WTF win. By the look of things its going to be tough for him. So this is Murray's best chance to finish in top 3 and say something like "Hey.. I'm in top 3.. I must get mention in being the top 3 players on tour now and I am better than Federer now.." etc etc.

Lets see what are your thought on why is it important for Murray to finish in top 3.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR Empty Re: MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR

Post by Tenez Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:29 am

Why should it matter for him even if he finishes within top 3 this year? What he thinks he can achieve even if he finished in top-3.

Sponsor money. Their contracts are very linked to their ranking. Top 3 is like a Bronze medal and his sponsors have reward incentive schemes.

There is little doubt that it won't make him as happy as winning a slam...but that could be an incentive.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR Empty Re: MURRAY TARGETS TOP 3 FINISH TO YEAR

Post by hawkeye Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:38 pm

Getting to 3 in the ranking will make little difference. Federer will still be ahead of him as far as contracts, sponser money and being talked about.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:42 pm

Actually Murray is pretty good at getting himself talked about but unfortunately its often due to what he says off court and not what he does on court...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 01 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Reward him for being number 3? He already had number 3 before, when Novak was struggling. I doubt moving ahead of a resting Federer is going to make his sponsors splash out..
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 01 Oct 2011, 2:03 pm

Josiah Maiestas wrote:Reward him for being number 3? He already had number 3 before, when Novak was struggling. I doubt moving ahead of a resting Federer is going to make his sponsors splash out..

That's just how it works. Number 3 gets you a better rate on royalties. It's all set up at the beginning of the contract when they make a deal with their sponsors. Nike for instance sign a few youngsters for 5 years or more but they don;t negotiate the deal every time the ranking changes or the player progresses. There is more likely a royalty table with bonuses according to the ranking, tournaments won etc....Adidas signed Murray 2 years ago (swapped against Djoko! what an obvious mistake!). Well if Murray were number 1 today, the contract woudl certainly compensate him accordingly).

When you are number 1 it's the jackpot!

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat 01 Oct 2011, 4:15 pm

"when you hit number 1 it's the jackpot"

Not necissarily. Lots of number 1 players havn't hit the jackpot. Look at womens tennis at the moment. Its not the top players who earn much off the court. Davydenko who was a consistant number 4 a few years ago struggled for sponsers unlike Murray.

If Murray got to number 1 he would hit the jackpot. I would guess a much bigger jackpot than Djokovic. In fact as far as sponsership goes he is probably already hitting a far bigger jackpot than many previous number 1's.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sat 01 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

hawkeye wrote:"when you hit number 1 it's the jackpot"

Not necissarily. Lots of number 1 players havn't hit the jackpot. Look at womens tennis at the moment. Its not the top players who earn much off the court. Davydenko who was a consistant number 4 a few years ago struggled for sponsers unlike Murray.

If Murray got to number 1 he would hit the jackpot. I would guess a much bigger jackpot than Djokovic. In fact as far as sponsership goes he is probably already hitting a far bigger jackpot than many previous number 1's.
There is not a single contract for all players. There are many other factors of course.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 5:33 pm

Now the OP is criticising Murray for setting himself targets. Surely that is what everyone should be doing. He has finished at number 4 or 5 in the end of year rankings the last few years so why not aim higher. I accept that Federer is a better player (he has had a wonderful career) but maybe the fact that he is taking a bit of a timeout shows that age is slowly catching up with him. I read posts on another thread recently slating Murray for not playing enough of the smaller events and saying that he should do so to improve his game/ranking. So for some people it looks likes he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 01 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

So for some people it looks likes he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't
If everyone pretended he was such a great player, there would be no point in this forum.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sat 01 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

Calder106 wrote:Now the OP is criticising Murray for setting himself targets. Surely that is what everyone should be doing. He has finished at number 4 or 5 in the end of year rankings the last few years so why not aim higher. I accept that Federer is a better player (he has had a wonderful career) but maybe the fact that he is taking a bit of a timeout shows that age is slowly catching up with him. I read posts on another thread recently slating Murray for not playing enough of the smaller events and saying that he should do so to improve his game/ranking. So for some people it looks likes he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't

Why is anything which doesn't look like a Murray fanboy article has to be dubbed as criticism? I just put few questions to you. Why not try to answer those? Can you answer those?

And I never said anything that Murray should play smaller tournaments to improve his game. Neither I'm saying he should not play. I'm just saying why is he playing those when he himself so openly complains about the ATP schedule being so tight and the calender being very stretched. Why couldn't he manage his own schedule properly to give himself a better chance to do well at the more important tournament than going for cheap points playing ATP 250, 500 events. See this now. Murray complains and nags to ATP, and then he himself jumps up to playing many smaller tournament in order to get advantage with those points that ATP points system allows him. Did you see the hypocrisy? Of course not. Fanboys aren't fanboys for no reason.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

If you actually read what you wrote. There was one sentence out of your original post which mentions his comments about a possible strike. Now this seems to be your main/only point. Funny how when challenged the people who regularly post anti-Murray articles suddenly get defensive and start childish name calling. If you don't want debate don't post.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 01 Oct 2011, 7:50 pm

And this has already been clarified in any case. At no time in any statement has Andy Murray said he is going to strike. He answered a question put to him in an interview asking him if there might be a strike and he said something along the lines of 'it was possible' depending on other players.

As for Murray fanboy articles that is a hilarious laugh. Please point out to me a topic in the tennis section that remotely resembles a fanboy article and I'll show you twenty Murray articles stacked with anti-Murray comments and sentiment.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

I'll show you twenty Murray articles stacked with anti-Murray comments and sentiment.
Anti-Murray is code for --> stop telling the truth I haaaaate it! mad
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sat 01 Oct 2011, 9:59 pm

The truth is that he is the current world number 4 and has been for most of the last 4 years. The top three have played better on a more consistent basis than him and therefore deserve their rankings. Even if Murray gets the number 3 slot for this year I would not claim that he is currently a better player than Federer. I can accept these facts and suspect most Murray fans would not disagree. Now if the anti-murray brigade could accept that his ranking has been earned through talent and hard work then hopefully we can move on.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Oct 2011, 2:28 am

Spot on Calder.

Anti-Murray code is pure unadulterated and infantile lies such as:-

Bogdanovic has more backbone than Murray.

Murray is the most incomplete world No.4 ever (go on please show me a world No.4 with Murray's CV please)

Portraying Murray as a strike organiser.

Mis-quotations from Murray.

Daring to criticise a player (Murray) because shock/horror he dare to set himself targets.

Labelling anything dare to be posted that is positive about Murray being labelled fanboy articles when half the forum has Fed fanboy articles that are far worse yet have no such labels attached to them.

It really is quite pathetic what the tennis section has become really. Largely, a no-go zone for level-headed tennis fans hence why I for one and a number of other posters no longer post here in any great number.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun 02 Oct 2011, 3:30 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:And this has already been clarified in any case. At no time in any statement has Andy Murray said he is going to strike. He answered a question put to him in an interview asking him if there might be a strike and he said something along the lines of 'it was possible' depending on other players.

As for Murray fanboy articles that is a hilarious laugh. Please point out to me a topic in the tennis section that remotely resembles a fanboy article and I'll show you twenty Murray articles stacked with anti-Murray comments and sentiment.

CC and Calder,
I specifically asked you can you answer the questions? Now do you understand what that would mean? If you understand it and have some answers, kindly post it.

CC, I read a quote from none other than Murray suggesting for "a possible strike", didn't you? If he said it to the press, that means he was agreeing to the possibility of such things. Now read it here, and properly without those made-for-Murray-fans spectacles . http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/14977449.stm . If the article is laughable then I must say you need some work on your sense of humor. I was expecting as I suggested in my last post that Murray fans will of course not see the hypocrisy in Murray's statements and actions. Its not their fault. Its the made-for-Murray-fans spectacles that they wear.

Calder106 wrote:The truth is that he is the current world number 4 and has been for most of the last 4 years. The top three have played better on a more consistent basis than him and therefore deserve their rankings. Even if Murray gets the number 3 slot for this year I would not claim that he is currently a better player than Federer. I can accept these facts and suspect most Murray fans would not disagree. Now if the anti-murray brigade could accept that his ranking has been earned through talent and hard work then hopefully we can move on.

Calder,
This is a typical Murray fanboy behavior. I said it before and now I have to say it again. Why do answer to every question has to be a list of what all Murray has achieved and how much he has earned it? Did I raise any questions about what he has achieved till now that you bring up this great consistent and well earned #4 ranking point? I just asked you a few questions, so answer those, and only those if you can.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun 02 Oct 2011, 6:20 am

Anti-Murray code is pure unadulterated and infantile lies such as:-

Bogdanovic has more backbone than Murray.
==============================================

Never said anything like this.

Murray is the most incomplete world No.4 ever (go on please show me a world No.4 with Murray's CV please)
============================================

Never said anything like this at all.

Portraying Murray as a strike organiser.
=============================================
I'm not portraying anything, but Murray himself is when he makes such comments. Read below. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/14977449.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2039311/Andy-Murray-says-tennis-stars-strike-schedule.html

Mis-quotations from Murray.
=============================================
I just quoted exactly what Murray said.

Daring to criticise a player (Murray) because shock/horror he dare to set himself targets.

===================================================================
This is how you see it through the made-for-Murray-fans spectacles. I didn't criticize Murray. I just wanted to know why suddenly these smaller tournaments have become important for him and he insisting on playing full asian swing when its he who complains about a packed schedule, stretched calender and how players are suffering injuries because of it.

Labelling anything dare to be posted that is positive about Murray being labelled fanboy articles when half the forum has Fed fanboy articles that are far worse yet have no such labels attached to them.
============================================================
I din't label any Murray positive article as a fanboy article, I just said my article is not anti-Murray and is certainly not his incorrect criticism. If he himself is doing things which makes him appear like an opportunistic hypocrite, why is this my fault. I have a right to talk about it.

Half of the forum has Fed fanboy articles? Well, they are certainly not from me, I'm an impartial tennis fan. But even it is, its fine considering what Federer has done in and for the game of tennis. What you want elsewise, half the forum to be filled with Murray fanboy articles? Get real. Muray in his this whole life can't reach even half of what Federer has already reached. Now you get the reason for why there are so many Fed fanboy articles. Good.

It really is quite pathetic what the tennis section has become really. Largely, a no-go zone for level-headed tennis fans hence why I for one and a number of other posters no longer post here in any great number.
===================================================

Yes pathetic. Anything you don't like has got to be pathetic. If you call yoursef level headed why don't use your level head to answer the question I put instead of criticizing the article and calling the tennis forum here pathetic. You are free to put your points, so do that instead of mudslinging.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Oct 2011, 7:45 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Where did I say those remarks (all made here) were posted by you? They have been posted by various posters on here.

And all of the first three points are total and utter nonsense.

As for that link raiders where in thar or any other item on that topic does he say: 'I am going on strike' or 'I am organising it'. More mis-quotations and lies again and listed as 'demands' on another thread here. What next?? I won't await an apology.

Your original post asked one question but never stuck to that and just rehashed other mis-truths here in a bid to have another go at Murray but here is the answer.

Obviously, after his US Open any press conferences are going to come up with questions of what goals he has left in the season (with no slams left to play) and Murray has answered. A crime or cheek not at all. He gave a full and frank answer and an achievable goal. Now if he said he was aiming to become No.1 I'd understand your angst but getting to No.3 is clearly an achievable goal in the time left and whatsmore I'd say on this year's form Murray has had a better year than Federer so would be deserved on this year'as form so what exactly is your problem? Also you point to why is he playing in these tournaments? Why not if he wants to achieve his goal? And if you want to go back to his want for restructuring the season his idea was just to have an extra week or two off here or there nothing major as claimed by some on here like half a dozen less tournaments. If you want to label Murray an opportunistic hypocrite on that evidence it just tells me you really do have deeper anti-Murray sentiments within you.

I never said you in particular about fanboy articles. I said this because you indicate we get Murray fanboy articles here which is hilarious. Show me ONE article here you could list as a Murray fanboy article and I'll show you twenty awash with anti-Murray sentiment and comments laced with mis-truths.

And finally what I find pathetic is people's attitudes here. And yes I dare call myself level-headed. I criticise Murray for his failings as well as praise him for his huge achievements which is fair enough. A pity others cannot bring themselves to do this.

Frankly, no I don't really think I am free to post stuff here as what would that achieve with so many people with one track minds and only on a mission to detract from what Andy has achieved in the sport. Positive Murray articles here are quite pointless due to the filthy posts that would pounce upon it and so frankly I won't waste my time.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:16 am

Can we please take a deep breath guys.
There is no need to criticise other members because of what they believe in or who they support. Being different is what makes us all human. Discussing Andy on here does bring a lot of emotion but please, lets not start a war about it.

I have admitted previously that I am not a fan of Andy, but I still recognise his achievements and being number 4 in the world is by no means an easy feat.

Going back on topic, I dont see anything wrong with setting a target of being number 3 in the world. It is a natural progression to want to move up the rankings and im pretty sure he will do it.

Last edited by Y I Man on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar police!)

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:20 am

Yes Y I Man and your stance is fair but fortunately too many people here choose to disregard his achievements in favour of cheap, petty remarks, many untruths which just puts off people like myself off even trying or wanting to post a positive Murray article as it just gives people bullets to fire back with.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

Thanks for that Y I Man. I'm happy to debate sensibly any time. If Raiders main point which was why is Murray playing in Thailand (one extra tournament) when he has just complained about the schedule being too busy it would have been a good question. But then he clouded it by asking what Murray thought he could achieve by getting to number 3. The answer was it was a target he had set himself for the remainder of the year and that I was sure that even if he managed it he would still not see himself as superior to Federer.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun 02 Oct 2011, 9:50 am

As for that link raiders where in thar or any other item on that topic does he say: 'I am going on strike' or 'I am organising it'. More mis-quotations and lies again and listed as 'demands' on another thread here. What next?? I won't await an apology.

==================================
Now you are just trying to be politically correct. Is it absolutely necessary to use the very exact words "I'm am going on strike" that untill that is used, its no way possible to convey what is the player trying to say. Or are you suggesting that you are so naive ( I won't believe it if you are an adult and level -minded) that you can't get what is Murray trying to say in his statements that unless he directly tells, there is no way you can understand it.
Who among the current players have suggest for a possibility of a strike?

============================
Its only Murray, no one mentioned the word strike or its possibility at all. Not Nadal, nor Federer, nor Djokoic.. no one. ONLY MURRAY.

What is exactly that Murray said?

Murray told BBC Sport: "It's a possibility. I know from speaking to some players they're not afraid of doing that [striking].

"Let's hope it doesn't come to that but I'm sure the players will consider it."

Asked whether the subject of a strike or boycott will be mentioned during the meeting in China, he continued: "Yes I think so.

============================================

Look what he says. He seems to have spoken to certain players and are bold and not afraid of doing it. If Murray was not intending for anything like this why would he say it? He mentioned it 3 times, and you still have a doubt that he didn't intend to go on strike if that ever happened just because he didn't exactly use the word "I'm am going on strike".

He and the players he spoke to of course can go on strike. Its all fine, strike is a legal way of protesting something which a group or individual firmly believes is not fair and wants to be heard. I've nothing against strike.

Murray has been complaining about the ATP's packed schedule and stretched calender and how it is resulting in injuries to top players. Here in this interview too he says something similar. He goes on..

He says "We just want things to change, really small things. Two or three weeks during the year, a few less tournaments each year, which I don't think is unreasonable."

Now look. At on hand Murray complains about the packed ATP schedule, stretched calender, too many tournaments and players suffering injuries because of these. He appears firm on this and suggest even to levels of not being afraid to strike if required and has spoken to other players about it. Now look at what he does on the other hand. He decides to play the full asian swing and with that now aims to look to finish in top -3 by year end.

At one hand Murray complains about the ATP schedule and how it is harmful to players and on the other hand wants to take advantage of ATP's point system by playing more tournament as he new sees since Federer is not playing Shanghai and has a lot of points to defend till WTF, this is a good opportunity to finish the year in top -3 for the first time. Where has all the talks about players' injuries gone now? If he really spoke to other player for a possible strike, isn't this like betraying them. If all this isn't opportunistic hypocrisy then tell me what is?

How credible Murray's statements have remained now? He talks something and then does something totally different. If he was so serious about the ATP's schedule and player's injuries because of it, why did he choose to play the full asian swing, instead of giving some rest and recovery time to his own body which of course must be battered after a wonderful year at the Slams.

Its no crime to be greedy or opportunistic or hypocrite or a judas. But the thing is no one likes those kind of people and certainly won't like to be their fans. CC wants to deny this because your hero is actually turning out to be an opportunistic hypocrite, a fact which is hard to digest for any fan.

And about ATP not doing enough for the players? ATP has done something for the players and Murray certainly has benefited well from them. From 2008 onwards, they changed the ATP1000 Masters draw format giving a bye in the 1st round and making the finals best of 3 sets. All of Murray's 7 Masters wins have come in best of 3 set finals. Without the 5 setter to 3 setter finals change Murray could never have managed all of those 7. Look at the other plays who have won 4-7 masters tournaments. A large percentage of them are slam winners and few multi slam winners too. With the 3 set format and 1st round bye, winning a masters has become easier the smaller format narrows the gap between great players and little lesser ones.

Murray isn't exactly a hero or idol material for fans to follow. Not game wise, not even personality or credibility wise.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:08 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark wrote:

Murray isn't exactly a hero or idol material for fans to follow. Not game wise, not even personality or credibility wise.

In your opinion. My Mrs would disagree with you.
Also, this isnt the thread to discuss the possible strike talk, there is another thread for that:
https://www.606v2.com/t14465-lloyd-has-no-sympathy-for-murray-s-strike-talk

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:28 am

Y I Man wrote:

In your opinion. My Mrs would disagree with you.
Also, this isnt the thread to discuss the possible strike talk, there is another thread for that:
https://www.606v2.com/t14465-lloyd-has-no-sympathy-for-murray-s-strike-talk

Y I Man,
If Mrs. Y I Man isn't on this forum, can you ask her to explain how can a fan justify the behavior Murray has shown about ATP schedules and strikes and injuries because if it and then doing an absolute turn around with his aim for top -3 finish by playing more tournaments.

The thread I started to know what people think about Murray's new ambitions. Its not related anything to recognize how much Andy has achieved nor any aim to disregard them. I just want to know what people think Murray on why is it important for Murray to finish in top 3,and what will he lose if he doesn't.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremy_Kyle Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

explain how can a fan justify the behavior Murray has shown about ATP schedules and strikes and injuries because if it and then doing an absolute turn around with his aim for top -3 finish by playing more tournaments.

Yeah, I think there's a valid point here. Why did he complain about the too demanding schedule before announcing he was going to play every single events in Asia to boost his ranking? This is utterly mind boggling to me.

I can only think he has been suddenly affected by the "Wozniaky syndrome": not a good sign in my book.....

Last edited by Jeremy_Kyle on Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeremy_Kyle
Jeremy_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:41 am

Because fans support their player no matter what.
My Mrs is a massive Newcastle fan (im not, im Leeds btw) and when Joey Barton was arrested and done for beating up that lad, she was still there at the home games cheering his name and clapping when he came to take a corner like every other Newcastle fan at the stadium.

Your original article starts off:
Murray in a interview admitted that he is looking to finish in the top 3 by the year end.

"By playing the full Asian stretch, there is a chance for me to try and move my ranking up by one spot, which is something I want to do by the end of the year,"

At the end you say:
Lets see what are your thought on why is it important for Murray to finish in top 3.

Murray didnt say it was important, he said it was a target, a goal. Nothing wrong with that at all. As I said, it is a natural thing to want to progress up the rankings.

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:35 am

I only want to make two points:

1) Andy is, on results, the No 3 player this year, and he should definitely take advantage of Federer's absence, and the resulting loss of points the latter will incur, to establish himself as No 3. Okay it will make no difference to advantage in draws in tournaments to be 3 or 4, but it will be an important boost for Murray, I think, to overtake TMF now.

2) It is, however, ironic that Andy has a packed schedule during the Asian swing following straight on from comments he has made recently, and illustrates that his interests are not going to be exactly the same as Rafa's at this point in his career. He is, quite rightly, going to take advantage of the number of tournaments available to him now as a player to advance up the rankings, just as lower ranked players are doing all the time to claw their way up a few places or so. Andy will play over the mandatories this year, and the point is that he has the choice to do so......no-one is forcing him to play such a packed schedule atm.

I think he needs to be careful that he is just not flattered into pursuing Rafa's objectives over his own needs. It is also ironic to notice that Rafa is playing a exho in Mexico in December, presumably for a large appearance fee, which seems to be, when you add in the travelling involved, a silly way to take advantage of the down time the ATP calendar schedules for that month! I haven't commented on the recent exho with Rafa and Ferrer because that seems to be quite a good way to acclimatise and practice for Tokyo, but the Mexican jaunt???????

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:41 am

Absolutely nothing wrong with Murray targeting the number 3 position.

He'll know that won't make him a better player than Federer has been, just better at the end of the year. Not sure Nadal or Djokovich would say they have been better than Fereder in his hay-day, just better now with Federer coming to the end of his career.

Does seem sometimes that many posters find any excuse to criticise Murray.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

Hello

Very Happy

Andy stated "By playing the full Asian stretch, there is a chance for me to try and move my ranking up by one spot, which is something I want to do by the end of the year,"

Raiders, note the part in bold. He didn't say this is my main priority for the rest of the year, or that it's my sole ambition in all life to be considered part of the big three. He simply stated that he would like to improve his ranking. I fail to see what there is to criticise about this.

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:32 pm

Y I Man wrote:Because fans support their player no matter what.

Well, I don't have much to say here on this. Fans see everything from a biased angle. For them their guy can do no wrong, everything is the greatest about their favorite player. If this "no matter what" is the answer of all question, the discussion ends there itself. I'm glad I can always remain a neutral tennis fan who loves the game and for whom tennis is more important than any player.

Y I Man wrote: Murray didnt say it was important, he said it was a target, a goal. Nothing wrong with that at all. As I said, it is a natural thing to want to progress up the rankings.

Murray didn't exactly used those words, nor am I saying he did. But it is indeed important for Murray. Look what he said in the interview after his win against Young.

"In terms of the way I’m playing it’s very good to get off to a start like that on this stretch and hopefully I can continue that through Shanghai," said the Scot, who is targetting a Top 3 finish to the season. "It’s a very good start. Roger [Federer] always plays very well on the European indoor courts, so I’m sure I’m going to have to win a lot more matches if I want to finish No. 3. That’s the goal and I’ll keep working hard to give myself a shot at doing that."

================================

He mentioned the top 3 finish again here. If this isn't important for him, why did he say it again. Why he said he needs to keep working hard to give himself a shot if that goal isn't important for Murray. That mean it is important for him. In my original post, I just asked exactly this. Why is it important for Murray to finish top 3?

I didn't say it was wrong having a goal. What is wrong for me is being an opportunistic hypocrite. What's more wrong is fans trying to defend this behavior. I said is earlier there is no crime in the world to be greedy, opportunist, hypocrite, or a betrayer. But these are not the best traits to have, are they?

Its not easy for fans to digest the fact that their guy isn't as perfect that they assume him to be. Thats why its better not to be a fanboy or a fangirl.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Sun 02 Oct 2011, 12:35 pm

emancipator wrote:Hello

Very Happy

Andy stated "By playing the full Asian stretch, there is a chance for me to try and move my ranking up by one spot, which is something I want to do by the end of the year,"

Raiders, note the part in bold. He didn't say this is my main priority for the rest of the year, or that it's my sole ambition in all life to be considered part of the big three. He simply stated that he would like to improve his ranking. I fail to see what there is to criticise about this.

ghost

emancipator

emancipator,
My reply about how important it is for Murray, is in the above post.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:21 pm

First of all Y I Man this is nothing to do with me sticking blindly up for Murray as a fan. I am merely pointing out a valid and pertinent point that Murray never said he was going to strike like is being implied here. The Daily Mail link even has a link to the BBC Sport story in which Andy even says he hopes it doesn't come to that which is never mentioned by those aching to paint him in a bad light. Yes he wants an extra week or twos break but when he wants that is neither here nor there when it comes to what tournaments he is choosing to play in now. After all he did his weeks off earlier in the year I do recall. The original post serves criticism for the way it is put together as to read it's heading it looks innocent enough and would have been fair enough if it stuck to its heading which it didn't. It was just another camouflaged attempt at a dig at Andy Murray And yet not a word to congratulate him on winning another ATP Title. That is my issue here. Posters are far more inclined to indulge in negative Murray posts but they feel it beyond them to write a positive one.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 02 Oct 2011, 1:40 pm

I didn't say it was wrong having a goal. What is wrong for me is being an opportunistic hypocrite. What's more wrong is fans trying to defend this behavior. I said is earlier there is no crime in the world to be greedy, opportunist, hypocrite, or a betrayer. But these are not the best traits to have, are they?

Its not easy for fans to digest the fact that their guy isn't as perfect that they assume him to be. Thats why its better not to be a fanboy or a fangirl.

So because of the reports about this strike thing, he's not allowed to come out and say "I would like to finish in the top 3 this year"?
Does he have to go into a darkened room to chastise and beat himself?

I think you should read this:

After his win Murray softened remarks he made earlier this month about the possibility of a player strike over the demands of the tour calendar, which some top players believe could be trimmed to avoid injury and burn-out.

"We're only proposing small changes, a few less mandatory events and some more rest periods. Tennis is in a great place right now and no one is yet talking about a strike," said the world number four.

"There are just a few minor things we'd like to see changed and we hope to sit with the ATP and other officials and discuss them. Two or three more weeks off a season is what we are thinking of."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gSbc2O0lbpTGgxnm45sivYeHKgqw?docId=CNG.457606e6eafc0843f310eeff8abd8c70.691

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 02 Oct 2011, 10:51 pm

More interesting than the number 3 spot is the number 2 of course. Shoudl Murray go as far as returning to his number 2 spot, he held in the past it could considerably boost Federer's chance of winning another slam. Imagine one second if Nadal number 3 had to play Djoko in teh semis of slams and Federer were to play Murray...that woudl give Federer a great chance to add to his slams tally...and about time he gets some luck with the draws.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:14 pm

Tenez wrote:More interesting than the number 3 spot is the number 2 of course. Shoudl Murray go as far as returning to his number 2 spot, he held in the past it could considerably boost Federer's chance of winning another slam. Imagine one second if Nadal number 3 had to play Djoko in teh semis of slams and Federer were to play Murray...that woudl give Federer a great chance to add to his slams tally...and about time he gets some luck with the draws.

Tenez. But he would still have to play Nadal in the final...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Tenez Sun 02 Oct 2011, 11:32 pm

hawkeye wrote:
Tenez wrote:More interesting than the number 3 spot is the number 2 of course. Shoudl Murray go as far as returning to his number 2 spot, he held in the past it could considerably boost Federer's chance of winning another slam. Imagine one second if Nadal number 3 had to play Djoko in teh semis of slams and Federer were to play Murray...that woudl give Federer a great chance to add to his slams tally...and about time he gets some luck with the draws.

Tenez. But he would still have to play Nadal in the final...

Do you still believe Nadal will get past Djoko? I don't...but should he get through it would be a cramping Nadal, whether his semi was v Djoko or Murray.

Tenez

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:00 am

Tenez. Djokovic is a great player but anyone who thinks he is invincible is deluded. Of course given the choice I'm sure he would rather play Murray.

This is what would be odd if Murray did get the number three ranking. Federer, Nadal and Djokovic would choose a match up with Murray in a semi rather than another member of the present top three (whatever their ranking). Sometimes numbers mean little.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:20 am

Hawkeye. Agree with that. I think Federer v Murray would be an interesting match up at this time (don't think they have played each other for a while). However I think both Djokovic and Nadal would prefer to play Federer than Murray at present.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 03 Oct 2011, 12:25 am

Oops sorry meant to say they would prefer to play Murray than Federer at present.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon 03 Oct 2011, 6:28 am

hawkeye wrote:Tenez. Djokovic is a great player but anyone who thinks he is invincible is deluded. Of course given the choice I'm sure he would rather play Murray.

No one is saying ( other than some Djo fangirls) that Djokovic is invincible. No player was, nor is nor will ever be, all are humans. However his chances against Nadal are extremely high. This is even much much more than the dominance of Nadal over Federer. Federer still was able to beat Nadal on other surfaces and even has a 3-0 on indoor hard with Nadal only managing 1 set in 3 matches including 1 final. Djo has beaten Nadal on all surfaces, convincingly and six times in a row and all in finals. The first 2 wins of those six were closer but as the matches have gone by, it has started to become more one sided. But we can talk about those in another thread.

This is more about Murray, his greed, his opportunistic hypocrisy, his lowering of ambitions, why he wants to be #3 etc etc.

raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 03 Oct 2011, 8:12 am

You don't half spout some antagonistic rubbish raiders and now you label Djokovic fans fangirls claiming they think he is invincible. Sorry bit I have yet to see one of those here that have posted anything like that so that was uncalled for.

Your final line is haedlyt even worth addressing as it is based around a line where Andy says he is aiming to be No.3 by the end of the year but here goes. Oh dear now Andy can't even set himself realistic targets without getting ripped apart for it. Now how that is lowering of ambitions in a three month space of time I'll be buggered if I know. If you mean him playing in and winning an ATP250 well excuse me but all the top players have won 250 tournaments before. In the time left in the season his goal is to get to No.3 because he can and to have a goal is to be motivated. Just like Donald Young was happy as he achieved his goal now of breaking into the top 50 (I don't hear him being slated for setting a goal).

If the hypocrisy bit is because he said he wants a lesser schedule but you can't figure out what he is doing playing in Thailand then please tell me where Andy specified when in the season he wanted a break. He said an extra couple of weeks off would suffice and the top players all agree as we going by all accounts and none of the top players coming out to say Andy is wrong. For all we know Fed has already gone on strike this week who knows but of course Andy has to be shot at even for winning his 19th title. That, you see, is my problem with posters regarding Murray all criticism and no credit.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by legendkillar Mon 03 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

It is very interesting to see that despite the lack of activity within the tennis world in terms of events, still we find the Andymoaner brigade out in force.

I would like to point out a few things:

1) What is the point of this thread when the OP wants to moan and disagree with what posters have pointed out?

2) I cannot see how 'contract incentivisation' would influence Murray's quest for a higer ranking. Maybe meeting Nadal in semi's at GS and Master events may have something to do with this.

3) What does the strike talk and Murray's 'behaviour on court' go to with this thread?

nope utter crap this article

legendkillar

Back to top Go down

Post by raiders_of_the_lost_ark Mon 03 Oct 2011, 9:17 am

CaledonianCraig wrote:First of all Y I Man this is nothing to do with me sticking blindly up for Murray as a fan. I am merely pointing out a valid and pertinent point that Murray never said he was going to strike like is being implied here. The Daily Mail link even has a link to the BBC Sport story in which Andy even says he hopes it doesn't come to that which is never mentioned by those aching to paint him in a bad light. Yes he wants an extra week or twos break but when he wants that is neither here nor there when it comes to what tournaments he is choosing to play in now. After all he did his weeks off earlier in the year I do recall. The original post serves criticism for the way it is put together as to read it's heading it looks innocent enough and would have been fair enough if it stuck to its heading which it didn't. It was just another camouflaged attempt at a dig at Andy Murray And yet not a word to congratulate him on winning another ATP Title. That is my issue here. Posters are far more inclined to indulge in negative Murray posts but they feel it beyond them to write a positive one.

You know CC, blind-fans too don't want to accept that they are blind-fans. Y I Man tell that Mrs. Y I is a blind fan and will support her favorite players and team no matter what they do. But I'm sure if he put this question directly to her like "Do you want to be blind fan who won't will support their favorites even for their wrong things ?", I'm sure she will say no. Why??? Because no one wants to be a blind fan who can't use the power of reasoning. But often fans do turn unconsciously turn into blind fans. Lot of Murray fan have become like that. They see what they want to see and its all through their made-for-the-player spectacles. They can't even see the wrong their player does. Its all fine to them. Only thing is no one want to accept it. This is human nature and raw.

CC,
You too are a blind fan because despite giving absolute reasoning you don't see it. Read what I wrote with an open mind. I said it earlier and saying it again, If a player does wrong, he is bound to get criticized for that act. If Murray is behaving like a greedy opportunistic hypocrite, this is bound to draw his criticism. Its my right to talk about it.

You talk about not a word of congratulation to Murray on winning another title? Then tell me how many posts you made congratulating Tipsarvic on his first ATP tournament win. It certainly was more important for Janko. Did you write any mails congratulating Young on his first ATP final? Ahh.. who cares about these players, Murray is the best.

For you Murray is more important than tennis. You like Murray's game, call it huge talent, great skill, massive weapons, yet when Gilles Simon who is just a little less fit and less strong version of Murray, you won't find anything attractive. No a word about his great skill and talent and how close to top-10 he is. Did you start watching tennis only when Murray come on the scene? Murray's opportunistic hypocrisy is completely showing in his doubles standards, yet you can't see it. Murray demands better schedule management for players' health benefits from USTA, yet he want to play 15 days provided the prize money is increased. If the health of players are important, how can increasing the prize money compensate for it. This is all when a player is greedy and uses every thing to try to take advantage.

You are a fanboy, but you can't accept it because you know its not nice to be a fanboy. Why you keep insisting on posters writing positive articles about Murray? Why?? Because thats what fanboys love.
raiders_of_the_lost_ark
raiders_of_the_lost_ark

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 03 Oct 2011, 9:31 am

hawkeye wrote:Tenez. Djokovic is a great player but anyone who thinks he is invincible is deluded. Of course given the choice I'm sure he would rather play Murray.

No one is saying ( other than some Djo fangirls) that Djokovic is invincible. No player was, nor is nor will ever be, all are humans. However his chances against Nadal are extremely high. This is even much much more than the dominance of Nadal over Federer. Federer still was able to beat Nadal on other surfaces and even has a 3-0 on indoor hard with Nadal only managing 1 set in 3 matches including 1 final. Djo has beaten Nadal on all surfaces, convincingly and six times in a row and all in finals. The first 2 wins of those six were closer but as the matches have gone by, it has started to become more one sided. But we can talk about those in another thread.

This is more about Murray, his greed, his opportunistic hypocrisy, his lowering of ambitions, why he wants to be #3 etc etc.

Ok I agree this is the wrong thread. I'm sure the subject of Nadals chances against Djokovic will come up elsewhere. I will be happy to argue my point there...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Oct 2011, 9:38 am

raiders_of_the_lost_ark

People can support whoever they like. It is freedom of choice.
That does not mean you have to attack that person because they like someone you dont. I dont like Man Utd, do you see me in the footy section ripping the 'p' out of the Utd supporters? No.

You think its acceptable to attack the Murray fans on here?
What do you think will happen?

I'll tell you, they will all leave and find somewhere where they can post in peace.
Is that what you want? A forum just for Federer and Nole fans?

Should I change the title of the section from 'Tennis' to 'Fed & Nole?' Because that is what is happening.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 03 Oct 2011, 9:44 am

Posters like yourself brought about the death of 606 and is alienating this forum pretty quickly as well.

As for being blinded I'd say it is you blinded by hatred. Bad trait that and pleased to say I don't post with that emotion with regards other players.

Your hatred sees you take a press conference remark by Murray and try desperately without success (to those level-headed enough) to see that in no statement does he say he's going on strike. If you feel you have the right to twist Murray's words to sort your own perverted agenda then it is up to you.

As for positive articles about Murray - why not? After all he is world No.4, one of a handful of players in tennis history to reach all slam semis in a calendar year, won 19 ATP titles, is the best British mens player since the 1930's, is statistically one of the best returners of serve in tennis at the moment and lots more. So plenty to be positive about but you only think negative - that is nothing to be proud of at all just pretty pathetic. It also backs up what I have said before in that people harp on about Murray not winning a slam but I say does it really matter? In the context of hate-filled posters such as yourself then no it doesn't matter as it wouldn't change your hate-filled mind. Heck he could even do the calendar grand slam and there would be no credit. You stick to your hate-filled posts if you wish and I'll stick to the tennis.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:18 am

Andy Murray has never been higher ranked than Roger Feder (AFAIK). Overtaking Roger Federer in the rankings and staying there will be an important landmark in his career.

Rank......Name.........................Points...Tourn Played
1 .......Djokovic, Novak (SRB) ...14,720........19
2 .......Nadal, Rafael (ESP) .......10,575........20
3 .......Federer, Roger (SUI) .......8,380........20
4 .......Murray, Andy (GBR) .........7,415........20
5 .......Ferrer, David (ESP) .........4,200.........23
6 .......Soderling, Robin (SWE) .....3,770.........24
7 .......Tsonga, Jo-Wilfried (FRA) ..2,870.........24
8 .......Fish, Mardy (USA) ...........2,820.........22
9 .......Monfils, Gael (FRA) ..........2,780.........24
10 .....Berdych, Tomas (CZE) .....2,775.........25

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:28 am

Cheers Nore Staat and kind of blows raiders 'greedy' Murray theory out of the water unless Federer and Nadal are also greedy for playing the same amount of tournaments this year. In fact going by that list only Novak has played fewer tournaments whilst others have played many more so quite clearly Andy is not greedy.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Positively 4th Street Mon 03 Oct 2011, 10:54 am

Perhaps he just wants to set himself a motivational target for the rest of the year. Seems simple and sensible to me, in the absence of slams there can be a feeling of marking time in this part of the season (certainly before the O2). Why would he not want to get to #3?

Positively 4th Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next